View Full Version : The Greens nieghborhood

OKC Heel
03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Anyone familiar with that neighborhood. I know that one side of it is OKC schools and the other side is Edmond, but any other knowledge of the area from those who live or lived there would be great. I have a friend moving in from out of state and he's looking at a house in the neighborhood. Thanks in advance.

Dustin
03-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Really really nice neighborhood. It has its own golf course and a private pool and gym. Wish I lived there.

Midtowner
03-02-2010, 05:28 AM
I believe it was built on the old city dump. A lot of houses there have foundation problems (I'm told). Otherwise, nice place, hire an inspector before you buy and pay good attention to the disclosure forms. This is what I have been told -- could be completely wrong.

Popsy
03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
I have lived in the Greens for fifteen years and think it is a great area. I am unaware of anyone in my section of the Greens having any foundation problems. The only problem we have had is incoming golf balls while in the backyard.

metro
03-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Great neighborhood if your looking for suburban living with easy highway access.

ddavidson8
03-02-2010, 07:37 AM
I have a lot of great memories of The Greens. My dad helped with the financing and was given a lifetime membership to the club. I swam at the pool and stayed over at a friends house for most of the summer. I played golf there as a young adult. I know that 15 years ago it was very nice. I haven't been around to know if it's held up, but my guess is it has. Great place.

adaniel
03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Had a cousin who bought a house there about a year ago and so far they are really happy with their decision. He bought an updated 70's era ranch house that backs up to a golf course for under $250K. And unlike most newer developments around OKC its a nice sized lot with trees. He can be in downtown in 30 minutes via Hefner Parkway/40 west and his wife is at her job at Mercy in maybe 3 minutes.

If your friend is looking for a master planned/golf community and doesn't mind lack of new construction, the Greens is a more established and affordable alternative to areas like Quail Creek, Oak Tree , and Coffee Creek.

OKC Heel
03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
So i drove through the neighborhood today at lunch and just from driving through, i really like the neighborhood. It's not a lot of cookie cutter houses and there are trees and decent size lots as was mentioned above. I saw a house while i was over there that i'm actually going to inquire about later today. Who knows, maybe his inquiry will actually lead to a change of address for me as well.

Thanks again for the info to all who have already replied.

OKCTalker
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
A close friend lives there. Great house, neighborhood, highway access, Mercy is right around the corner, as is the police precinct, and it's got a gated neighborhood feel.

Jethrol
03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I grew up in the greens and I loved it!! This was back when Lake Hefner Parkway was known as Portland Avenue. hehe

If you want to live in the Greens IMO there's only one place to live and that's the triangle of 125th, St Andrews Drive and St Andrews Terr. These three make a triangle that create a 3 acre park that only houses on those 3 blocks can use. You will pay dues for the use of the park but it's got tennis court, basketball court, swimming pool all lighted for nighttime use, the pool is heated and has a slide and diving board. The park has sidewalks, sandboxes and playground equipment for kids, wide open areas for football, gold, frisbee or anything else. Yeah ok...so I'm biased because I grew up on the park but I loved it and always had friends over.

Now if you're interested in school districts, OKC schools was most of the Greens that were close to 122nd. I can't remember which is which but the North Side of St Andrews Terr or Drive is Edmond Schools.....this is the street that goes all the way around to the club and turns into Green Valley Drive. If you're N of this road (St Andrews) then you'll be in Edmond schools....otherwise it's OKC schools but with the high school right across 122nd, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

The larger homes seem to be on the northern and western sides of the addition.

If your friends want a really nice home and PC Schools, head west to Val Verde where the homes are significantly larger.

CCOKC
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I used to play tennis there about 4-5 times a week. (This was before I went back to work full time). If you are into tennis or want to be this is the place to be. Ask for Suzanne, she'll take care of you.

OKC Heel
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I know his wife and children like to play tennis so that should be a big plus for him. He said the house he's looking at is in the Edmond School district, though i'm sure he'll have both of his girls in Private school.

I saw a pretty cool mediteranean style flat roof house in the neighborhood that i liked but it's already under contract. :(

I also looked at an online map of the neighborhood and that park that Jethrol was talking about. That's a really cool thing to have in your back yard.