View Full Version : Safest OKC Neighborhood?

bjohn9
02-28-2010, 10:30 AM
While surfing Twitter, I found a listing of supposedly the safest neighborhoods in the top 50 U.S. cities according to NeighborhoodScout.com. It lists SW 119th and Portland for OKC, and Sheridan Rd and 111th St in Tulsa.

Here's the link (http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/article/the-safest-neighborhoods-in-americas-50/903758).

Thoughts?

Steve
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I always thought it was SE 15 and Central.

kevinpate
02-28-2010, 11:11 AM

harsh.
:poke:

Jethrol
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
pfft...everyone know that the best neighborhoods are on the north side! :LolLolLol

Northsiiiiieeeed

smooth
02-28-2010, 01:18 PM
pfft...everyone know that the best neighborhoods are on the north side! :LolLolLol

Northsiiiiieeeed

Not neccessarily. Have you spoken to all roughly three billion people on the planet?

warreng88
02-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Is it not NE 23rd and Hood Street?

Jethrol
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Not neccessarily. Have you spoken to all roughly three billion people on the planet?
well there's not 7 billion people on the planet but yah...I talked to them all and they agreed with me.

EBAH
02-28-2010, 02:18 PM
so the safest neighborhood in OKC is....in Moore

rinni
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Actually, that neighborhood is 4 miles from the Moore city limits.

EBAH
02-28-2010, 04:57 PM
hahaha, yeah I know, but it is basically Moore, just like my dad, who lives in "Oklahoma City" who really lives in Choctaw.

soonerfan_in_okc
02-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Way to make your self look like an idiot. If you are going to call someone out, at least have your facts straight. LMAO @ thinking there are only 3 billion people on earth.

Larry OKC
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
"As of 1 March 2010, the Earth's human population is estimated by the United States Census Bureau to be 6,805,700,000."

If I am reading the commas correctly, that is 6.8 billion

jdg78
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
No surpise... That area on Southside is extremely nice and has several very nice safe neighborhoods.

Nice to see the Northsider act like an ass... Probably lives in an apartment:) As is typical for most people who want to argue the North vs. South debate....

Jethrol
02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
:LolLolLol

That's funny right there...I don't care who ya are.

SkyWestOKC
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
:LolLolLol

That's funny right there...I don't care who ya are.

It is?

Stan Silliman
02-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Did this survey take into account... tornadoes?

airplane777
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Crime can happen in ANY neighborhood, regardless of income level or location. The best thing to do is meet your neighbors, make friends with the nosy ones, call the police if you see any suspicious activity in your area. Develop a neighborhood watch, since the economy is poor, it may bring out the worst in people. We should try to love and respect one another, by doing so would prevent crime and hate.

circled9
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Crime can happen in ANY neighborhood, regardless of income level or location. The best thing to do is meet your neighbors, make friends with the nosy ones, call the police if you see any suspicious activity in your area. Develop a neighborhood watch, since the economy is poor, it may bring out the worst in people. We should try to love and respect one another, by doing so would prevent crime and hate.

very well said

smooth
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Way to make your self look like an idiot. If you are going to call someone out, at least have your facts straight. LMAO @ thinking there are only 3 billion people on earth.

Last count, it was. So I may be incorrect on the number. SO SUE ME, JERK!

dismayed
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm guessing it's so safe because of all the gated communities in that area.

dmoor82
03-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Last count, it was. So I may be incorrect on the number. SO SUE ME, JERK!

SIMMA down!:fighting3,lol

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Last count, it was.
Wrong again. That was the population back in oh....say....1960 or there abouts.

World Population - The Current World Population (http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldpopulation.htm)

Seriously....google is a good thing.....don't be afraid.

gen70
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
If yer scared..Be or say yer scared.

MuseMOKC
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Wrong again. That was the population back in oh....say....1960 or there abouts.

World Population - The Current World Population (http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldpopulation.htm)

Seriously....google is a good thing.....don't be afraid.

I do not know you personally, but you made my day! :D

old okie
03-10-2010, 03:02 PM
It lists SW 119th and Portland for OKC
Thoughts?

Um, SW 119th & Portland? Let's see, there are two churches, a church college, Earlywine Golf Course, and a few businesses around that corner...oh yes, and a couple of empty fields. No wonder the area is a "safe" neighborhood! Makes me question their "statistical" sources!

Spartan
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
It lists SW 119th and Portland for OKC

Represent!

Spoken like a true former crime beat writer lol.

chemalurgy
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Just don't move to N Western and Hefner. My daughter's car was stolen 2 times there and another time they tried to break into it by smashing out a window. The police say that it's pretty common around there.

Joy Ride in Oklahoma City - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2774196/joy_ride_in_oklahoma_city.html?cat=17)

ms7168
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Back in around 1992 or 1993 the Oklahoman ran a week long series in the paper on crime in Oklahoma City and it ended with what they said was the lowest crime area in town. And it is the square mile from NW 50th to NW 63rd and Portland to Meridian. Based upon that information I checked out the area. It's actually three subdivisions Coronado Heights, Holiday and Springdale. I wound up buying a home in Springdale. My house is 44 years old and it had never been broken into. A lot of my neighbors have lived here since their homes were built. A lot of them are retired and home all day too. There are also several law enforcement people living here. All of these things help.

ljbab728
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Back in around 1992 or 1993 the Oklahoman ran a week long series in the paper on crime in Oklahoma City and it ended with what they said was the lowest crime area in town. And it is the square mile from NW 50th to NW 63rd and Portland to Meridian. Based upon that information I checked out the area. It's actually three subdivisions Coronado Heights, Holiday and Springdale. I wound up buying a home in Springdale. My house is 44 years old and it had never been broken into. A lot of my neighbors have lived here since their homes were built. A lot of them are retired and home all day too. There are also several law enforcement people living here. All of these things help.

Shhhh!!!! I live in that square mile too. Keep it a secret. We don't want to attract anyone looking for new territory.

CCOKC
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I grew up in Springdale. I now live within a mile of there. Oh yeah, I was born at Deaconess Hospital. I have lived other places but I just keep coming back to that area.

PennyQuilts
03-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Loved my old neighborhood and we all knew each other and looked out for each other. If someone saw something suspicious or there was an incident, we'd all e-mail each other with information. We had several cops living in the neighborhood. All that didn't stop the thugs in the neighborhood not far off from constantly breaking into our cars at night to steal GPSs. They'd regularly smash in windows and be gone before police arrived. We'd know where they came from because they would typically fee on foot through the woods to the neighborhood near ours. This was a neighborhood adjacent to Quantico full of military, FBI, former military and even some secret service. Their own neighborhood actually had a guy shot dead by a former military woman who was home sick when they broke into her house, thinking she was at work. We had dogs and that helped us, I think, but thugs is thugs. If they are nearby, they will do what thugs do.

soonergirl
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Um, SW 119th & Portland? Let's see, there are two churches, a church college, Earlywine Golf Course, and a few businesses around that corner...oh yes, and a couple of empty fields. No wonder the area is a "safe" neighborhood! Makes me question their "statistical" sources!

There's several neighborhoods if you go south on Portland.

SoonerBent
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
We've lived in a neighborhood NW of lake Hefner for 13 years now. I know of only one theft of a car battery a couple of years ago. Other than that, no crimes at all. I'm happy.