View Full Version : How does one sell inherited cemetary plots?

USG '60
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I hope this is the right place for this as it is about matters underground.

I have inherited 2 cemetery plots (lots?) and my wife and I both intend to be creamated. Has anyone had any experience reselling such lots. These are considered prestigeous "lakeside" lots and currently retain for $4000.00 EACH.:omg: That just blows my mind. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't filthy rich paying prices like that. The office at Resthaven, when confirming the values, said that they were not allowed to buy them back nor could they help me find a buyer. They WILL help with the transfer when I find a buyer.

A friend told me that no one ever buys from the want ads on the obits page in the paper. I don't have the gall to expect retail for these sucker but I have NO idea what a fair price would be or how to market the. If you have any knowledge or experience regarding this kind of thing, PLEASE share with me. It would be GREATLY appreciated.

PennyQuilts
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Okay, that is the weirdest thing I've heard all week. No answers but sorta enjoyed considering the entire situation. Good luck and I hope you get a good price for them. For some people, that sort of thing is important so maybe it will work out.

CuatrodeMayo
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Uhhh...craiglist?

progressiveboy
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Her is some information.

Sell Cemetery Lots, Tips How to Sell Cemetery Lots Yourself at Low Cost! (http://thecemeteryregistry.com/sell_tips.htm)

kevinpate
02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Can ya donate them to a non-profit and let them figure out how best to regift them?

USG '60
02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Her is some information.

Sell Cemetery Lots, Tips How to Sell Cemetery Lots Yourself at Low Cost! (http://thecemeteryregistry.com/sell_tips.htm)

Thanks PB, that is a GREAT starting place for me. Man, kevin, it would be nice if I could afford to do that but under my current circumstances I need SOMETHING for them just to be fair to my family. Would that it were otherwise. :(

kevinpate
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
... kevin, it would be nice if I could afford to do that but under my current circumstances I need SOMETHING for them just to be fair to my family. ...

Understood. I was thinking solely on the lines of taking a tax deduction, assuming the plots qualify and some org. would accept them for one of their fundraiser auctions or such. Avoids the hassles and marketing on your end and helps the org. to some degree.

As the plots need to generate actual cash, yeah, a marketing you will go. That or pay someone a % to handle it for you. Guess it depends somewhat on how fast the conversion needs to take place.

Luck with it.

icecold
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Dont forget that Resthaven will charge you a fee to transfer the deed to anyone other than a family member.

dirtrider73068
02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I have seen a few ads on craigslist sell there plots at different places. It would be a matter of time to find a buyer but you could go the route as well. Am sure you run a ad in the paper somewhere and maybe somebody would need them or want those spots and take up your offer.