View Full Version : U.S. Conference of Mayors 2010

Pages : [1] 2

CaptainCouch
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
As if you needed more reason to vote on Tuesday:

www.uscm2010.com (http://www.uscm2010.com)

sroberts24
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
pretty exciting

shane453
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Look what all those mayors get to do!

The Flaming Lips with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic
Prepare yourself for the psychedelic and a multi-media concert extravaganza at the Cox Arena! The world-renowned alternative rock band, The Flaming Lips, will join with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic for the first time ever. Even within the eclectic world of alternative rock, few bands are as brave, so frequently brilliant, and as deliciously weird as the Flaming Lips. An acid-bubblegum band with as much affinity for sweet melodies as blistering noise assaults, their off-kilter sound has firmly established them as true originals.

soonerguru
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
This is very cool!

I'm fairly excited about what will probably be Oklahoma's first presidential visit from President Obama as well.

Mayor Cornett is a very cool guy and he projects a wonderful image for our city.

workman45
02-23-2010, 01:09 AM
As if you needed more reason to vote on Tuesday:

www.uscm2010.com (http://www.uscm2010.com)

Everything but a date. When is this happening?

venture
02-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Everything but a date. When is this happening?

Look at the graphic. : )

http://www.uscm2010.com/images/header.jpg

Grant
02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
This is very cool!

I'm fairly excited about what will probably be Oklahoma's first presidential visit from President Obama as well.

Mayor Cornett is a very cool guy and he projects a wonderful image for our city.

Is an Obama visit a possibility?

soonerguru
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Is an Obama visit a possibility?

The prez usually attends this conference, and Obama attended it last year.

circuitboard
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
All opinions aside, it will be very cool if Obama visits OKC. What an exciting summer we will have this year, construction all over the place and this going on, will be a good summer I think!

redrunner
02-23-2010, 06:14 PM
The prez usually attends this conference, and Obama attended it last year.

Does the prez usually attend the annual meetings or are you confusing it with the winter meeting that is always held in D.C.? I know Senator Obama was in Miami in 2008 but don't think he was in Providence in '09.

Doubt Obama will be in OKC if he recently addressed the conference of mayors in the winter meeting in January.

soonerguru
02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Does the prez usually attend the annual meetings or are you confusing it with the winter meeting that is always held in D.C.? I know Senator Obama was in Miami in 2008 but don't think he was in Providence in '09.

Doubt Obama will be in OKC if he recently addressed the conference of mayors in the winter meeting in January.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. We should still issue an invitation anyway, and I'm sure Mayor Cornett will.

ssandedoc
02-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Obama is a lock for the conference.

workman45
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Look at the graphic. : )

http://www.uscm2010.com/images/header.jpg

Thanks Venture. If it had been a snake....

jbrown84
02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Teaming the Lips up with the Philharmonic is GENIUS!

SkyWestOKC
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I hope Obama stays out of our city. We are doing just fine without his endorsements and good wishes.

adaniel
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I hope Obama stays out of our city. We are doing just fine without his endorsements and good wishes.

You're joking, right?

You are certainly free to hate his politics and views, but he's still the president, and this meeting will breed policies that will affect everyone who lives in a city, independent of what you think of Obama.

I personally would have been disappointed if he had not came given the fact that municipal and urban challenges have a huge impact of national issues. But its good to hear he will be in OKC.

jbrown84
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't be so partisan! A presidential visit will make this event even bigger a publicity boost for OKC.

SkyWestOKC
02-28-2010, 06:26 PM
OKC has great momentum and it seems everything this guy touches dies. His healthcare bill cannot get passed, his cap and trade policies barely passed the house, he bid and lost for the Chicago Olympics, Copenhagen did absolutely nothing. I don't want OKC to be on this list.

I don't mind if he comes as long as he doesn't try to push agendas and what not. Publicity yes, his long winded bland talking and boring speeches no.

SkyWestOKC
02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
But on the topic at hand, this convention/meeting sounds like it will be good for OKC. It will bring people in from other cities, boost our downtown/bricktown for a few weeks, as well as our transportation. OKC is on the map now, and our dot will continue to grow larger.

SOONER8693
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Ditto. God bless and keep Obama, far, far, from us.

dmoor82
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't be so partisan! A presidential visit will make this event even bigger a publicity boost for OKC.

^^^^well said!

Architect2010
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
This is the only city and state in the entire country where people would actually turn down a visit from our President of the United States. Don't be so hasty on political beliefs. Are we too good now? It seems we have a long path ahead of us yet.

venture
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
This is the only city and state in the entire country where people would actually turn down a visit from our President of the United States. Don't be so hasty on political beliefs. Are we too good now? It seems we have a long path ahead of us yet.

Naturally. Its pretty pathetic, but watch. In two months, Moore or some part of the metro is going to get rearranged into tiny pieces from another tornado and everyone will be thanking him for coming - or bitching that the President didn't visit a disaster zone. Perhaps all these yahoos should also tell the conference that they should ban any mayor from coming in who isn't a hard right conservative. There are going to be far more liberal people here than the President who will be sharing an agenda or pushing who things work for them in their cities.

Some days I think brain development stops at an early age here, or they are handing out blinders in grade schools.

SkyWestOKC
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Naturally. Its pretty pathetic, but watch. In two months, Moore or some part of the metro is going to get rearranged into tiny pieces from another tornado and everyone will be thanking him for coming - or bitching that the President didn't visit a disaster zone. Perhaps all these yahoos should also tell the conference that they should ban any mayor from coming in who isn't a hard right conservative. There are going to be far more liberal people here than the President who will be sharing an agenda or pushing who things work for them in their cities.

Some days I think brain development stops at an early age here, or they are handing out blinders in grade schools.

Brain development includes forming one's own opinion, which is what I have done. In this daunting task, which you think conservatives can't do, I have concluded that I do not like Obama, his policies, his rhetoric, or his transformational agenda. I'm glad my brain has developed enough to do this, and that I am not a molded creature that worships at the feet of Obama, and follows the Divine One, Obama, in continuing to attack those who do not agree.

From one yahoo to another....

Stan Silliman
02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Mayors are traditionally liberal but why would you wish for Moore to have a re-arrangement? Please don't permit the tornado to hit the Warren.

ljbab728
02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Brain development includes forming one's own opinion, which is what I have done. In this daunting task, which you think conservatives can't do, I have concluded that I do not like Obama, his policies, his rhetoric, or his transformational agenda. I'm glad my brain has developed enough to do this, and that I am not a molded creature that worships at the feet of Obama, and follows the Divine One, Obama, in continuing to attack those who do not agree.

You certainly have a right to your opinion. I am a moderate liberal who voted for Obama but don't agree with everything he wants. However, just as I would have welcomed a visit from George Bush when he was president, I would welcome a visit from Obama. It could do nothing but elevate our national image, irregardlous of politics. If you're afraid of what he might say if he was here you don't have to listen.

venture
03-01-2010, 02:20 AM

You can dislike the man and what he stands for all you want, heaven knows I don't care for half the crap he and spewed about. However, this is the President of the US...if he comes to town to address the council of mayors, that is a big deal. I didn't care for the blubbering fool Bush or the sexual predator Clinton...but they were still the men elected to that office. Where they go, a whole ton of reporters go as well. That is called free publicity for the city and using your brain to look at the bigger picture, which so few in these parts do.

venture
03-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Mayors are traditionally liberal but why would you wish for Moore to have a re-arrangement? Please don't permit the tornado to hit the Warren.

Oh I wouldn't wish that on anyone, Mother Nature just seems to pick on them more. :-P Plus, it was merely an example of what has previous warranted a presidential visit to the metro.

rcjunkie
03-01-2010, 03:51 AM
You certainly have a right to your opinion. I am a moderate liberal who voted for Obama but don't agree with everything he wants. However, just as I would have welcomed a visit from George Bush when he was president, I would welcome a visit from Obama. It could do nothing but elevate our national image, irregardlous of politics. If you're afraid of what he might say if he was here you don't have to listen.

He has yet to say much of anything, now read from a TelePrompTer, yes!!

soonerguru
03-01-2010, 08:14 AM
[/COLOR]

He didn't need a teleprompter when he disemboweled the GOP at the Q&A session a month ago. Get some new material.

mfaulkn
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I think it would be exciting, regardless of who the President is or the party to which he belongs, to have him in OKC; especially if he isn't there because of a disaster. Any positive national attention would be great.

rcjunkie
03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
He didn't need a teleprompter when he disemboweled the GOP at the Q&A session a month ago. Get some new material.

You must have watched a different Q & A session then I. Obama's your typical Democrat--lots of talk with minimal substance.

venture
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
You must have watched a different Q & A session then I. Obama's your typical politician --lots of talk with minimal substance.

Fixed for accuracy. Both sides are guilty of the same and always give us the same song and dance.

jbrown84
03-02-2010, 09:13 PM
[/COLOR]

At least he doesn't write notes on his hand.

Mikemarsh51
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Never saw a thing wrong with writing on her hand, Those were bullet points! Not like a teleprompter! You know like every word. And really what is it with him dragging his S's? Sounds like he is whistling some time!!!!!

jbrown84
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
EVERY PRESIDENT EVER has used a teleprompter during speeches. Nice try.

Mikemarsh51
03-02-2010, 09:29 PM
For every speech? OK I'll give you 95% of them. Used it to talk to a group of third graders, It's good that he uses it. It keeps him from putting his foot in his mouth.

Mikemarsh51
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Like Humphreys, if Cornett wasn't my mayor he would be someone I would like. At least Humphreys would shake your hand and talk to you. Do you think he will brag about his victory over a nobody when he hosts the conference?

betts
03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Good grief. This was a discussion of a meeting that is going to be great exposure for Oklahoma City, and it has devolved into partisan politics. I would welcome a Presidential visit to a meeting of this stature regardless of the party of the President. Can't we leave politics out of our discussions for a year or two? I'm really, really tired of the fact that the Republicans seem to think the election is months off.

Ginkasa
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
For every speech? OK I'll give you 95% of them. Used it to talk to a group of third graders, It's good that he uses it. It keeps him from putting his foot in his mouth.

snopes.com: Obama Uses Teleprompter for Speech to 6th Graders (http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/6thgrade.asp)

I bet you think he's a Muslim from Kenya, too.

Mikemarsh51
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Ginkasa, Snopes was exposed as crap. Watch the man, look left, look right. He uses the teleprompter alot. I'm pretty sure he was born in Hawaii, just like me. I can show you my birth certificate within 5 minutes. He isnt much of a Christan either. How many times has he been to church in a year? Less the 3.

CaseyCornett
03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
The two things you "never" talk about, Politics and Religion, Mike hit them both in one post. :)

Ginkasa
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I can show you my birth certificate within 5 minutes.

Congratulations? Anyway, I had to search for this apparent exposé on Snopes and I found these:

Snopes.com | FactCheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/)

and

Does Snopes.com Have a Liberal Bias? - Urban Legends (http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/internet/a/snopes_exposed.htm)

and

Fact-checking the fact-checkers: Snopes.com gets an 'A' | NetworkWorld.com Community (http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/40861)

and

Snopes.com is a secret tool of the Democratic party to promote Barack Obama-Fiction! (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/snopes.htm)

So, I'm guessing you're one of two things: willfully ignorant or a prankster. Either way, no point talking to you further.

Mikemarsh51
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Casey- No one learns if things are never discussed. Tell your Pops congrats. Tell him he should visit the fire stations like Mr. Humphreys did. Would go a long way to show he cares about the city employees.

Ginkobaloba- I think prankster; do you promise?

venture
03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh happy day, we have been blessed with another troll on the forum. /sigh

Mikemarsh51
03-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Venture, don't be a hater!

Urban Pioneer
03-04-2010, 08:48 AM
There are the obvious positive results out of a Presidential or Vice-Presidential visit. Tons of world press and big city relevance notching.

However, probably the most important immediate opportunity is direct local lobbying. Considering our lack of Democratic presence in a Democratic era, it is an undeniable moment to get our ducks in a row and lobby hard for federal money and rational relevance.

IE streetcar project supplemental funds, livibility initiatives, and energy (CNG, Wind, and Oil).

Forget the pomp and the irrelevant ignorant people. Lets get to work.

Popsy
03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Who, if I might ask, are the irrelevant ignorant people Mr. Pioneer?

urbanity
06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Mayors from across the country will descend upon OKC this weekend for their annual conference | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/6474/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA)

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Who, if I might ask, are the irrelevant ignorant people Mr. Pioneer?

Yes, Mr. Pioneer, who are the irrevelant ignorant people you are referring too?

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Mayors from across the country will descend upon OKC this weekend for their annual conference | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/6474/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA)

I personally cant wait for mayors across the country to grace us with their presence. I think the topics they discuss are going to be something like this, " How to pull the wool over your taxpaying citizens eyes and get them to buy into the pay as you go philosophy to revitalize your inner city delapidated areas," or " Development made easy, use the taxpayers to bank roll your private development for personal gain, they are too stupid to know the difference" or "How to run city services in the ground, getting much more for nothing, they are just uneducated peasants anyway."

The other mayors are going to be quite envious of our mayor.
They will ask him questions like " How did you do these things ",
His reply will be " its easy, just get up and make a bunch of empty campaign promises and know that you dont have to keep them".
Do whatever the chamber of commerce and big business wants you too keep MAPS rolling along, we dont want that tax to expire. Appoint a bunch of people to an advisory committee who you can influence at the drop of a hat. These are just a few things that will help you other mayors in your respective cities for future endeavors.

Diesel54
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I personally cant wait for mayors across the country to grace us with their presence. I think the topics they discuss are going to be something like this, " How to pull the wool over your taxpaying citizens eyes and get them to buy into the pay as you go philosophy to revitalize your inner city delapidated areas," or " Development made easy, use the taxpayers to bank roll your private development for personal gain, they are too stupid to know the difference" or "How to run city services in the ground, getting much more for nothing, they are just uneducated peasants anyway."

His reply will be " its easy, just get up and make a bunch of empty campaign promises and know that you dont have to keep them".
Do whatever the chamber of commerce and big business wants you too keep MAPS rolling along, we dont want that tax to expire. Appoint a bunch of people to an advisory committee who you can influence at the drop of a hat. These are just a few things that will help you other mayors in your respective cities for future endeavors.

You seem like a pleasant guy.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
You seem like a pleasant guy.

Im just a big ole teddy bear, lol. Thanks for noticing

Spartan
06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Please let us know if the Glenn Beck and Homeless Looking Redneck Dude "Saving Our Country" Tour offers any great suggestions for applying urban planning solutions to an urban nightmare like OKC.

Spartan
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Ginkasa, Snopes was exposed as crap. Watch the man, look left, look right. He uses the teleprompter alot. I'm pretty sure he was born in Hawaii, just like me. I can show you my birth certificate within 5 minutes. He isnt much of a Christan either. How many times has he been to church in a year? Less the 3.

Can someone explain to me how I coexist on the same Internet forum as this creep?

rcjunkie
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Or how about if the Mayor teaches them how to become an OKCTALK Troll and have nothing be negative thoughts about your city. Maybe the visiting mayors wil have sugesions on how to convince those that so dislike OKC to pack and move.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Please let us know if the Glenn Beck and Homeless Looking Redneck Dude "Saving Our Country" Tour offers any great suggestions for applying urban planning solutions to an urban nightmare like OKC.

I dont recall ever asking anyone to come in here and try to revitalize the downtown area anyway.

That is nice that they have an entertainment district, there is not a whole lot downtown that I cant get in other areas of the city without the headache of parking, transients, and being densely populated.

It just seems that all of the do-gooders from out of state, whether you are young or old, with your multitude of self proclaimed knowledge and or opinions in building and planning, are pushing your the way of life where you used to live at down the throats of people who are life long residents of this city.

If where you lived at was so great, then why didnt you just stay there, which ever big league city that was.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Or how about if the Mayor teaches them how to become an OKCTALK Troll and have nothing be negative thoughts about your city. Maybe the visiting mayors wil have sugesions on how to convince those that so dislike OKC to pack and move.

Your exactly right RC, could agree more, lets get the trolls off of this site, lets send them packing back to their respective big league city.
Great idea.

OKC@heart
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
If you don't care about down town OKC because you can do everything you need or want in the burbs or where ever else then what is taking place downtown shouldn't matter to you.

Since you don't care and don't plan to enjoy what is going on there then why even post here since it is of no interest to you?

Just live your life in the burbs and forget about it... I however suspect that would be way to hopeful on my part! :boxing2:

soonerguru
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM

LOL, this is awesome. Seriously, this is funny and spot on.