View Full Version : Do people in OKC not realize we have an NBA team?!?!?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Watson410
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I know this isn't the right place for this Thread but i wanted EVERYONE to see it! I am SOOOOOO sick of going to a Restaurant and/or Bar during the Thunder games and that place not have the game on anywhere!! I started off at a SPORTS BAR last night (i'm not going to mention any names) and they had 3 of their TV's on the damn Gonzaga game and 3 TV's on the olympics. I asked the waitress if she could please change it to Thunder game... she said "Oh! They play tonight?!?! I'll ask the manager." After 10-15 minutes of waiting for the channel to change, our group finally just gave up and walked out.. we ended up going to another bar/restaurant and NONE of their 4-5 TV's were even on the game!! UGH!! Very frustrating!! If they're going to show sports on their TV's you would think they would know when our LOCAL teams are at least playing... They sure have every single television tuned in when OU is playing Tennessee Chattanooga! Why can't they show one of the BEST NBA teams that happens to be our own?? OKC step your game up!! You claim to be a BIG LEAGUE CITY! Let's act like it and show your HOMETOWN NBA TEAM over Gonzaga, Olympics, World Series of Poker, and Pro Bowling!! Sorry for the rant, It's just so frustrating when you want to go watch the game with the guys and you have to hunt someone down to have them tune into the game..

sroberts24
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Bolero Tapas Bar & Spanish Grill in Lower Bricktown always has the games on... the atmosphere there last night was great! The entire bar was into the game everyone cheerin and screamin it was a blast!

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree.

I've had the help change the game to the Thunder and they had the same reaction, "What? The Thunder are playing tonight? Cool." So we at least get to see the game but it's surprising how many comments I hear from the crowd, "They need to start winning" or "I wish we had a better team". I'm stunned when I hear that.

I honestly think that if we make the playoffs, more people will start waking up to what a good team we have. I have friends that I consider sports nuts and they're dogging the Thunder. They say things like, "Other teams come here knowing we won't defend our home court" and "Look at the Spurs, they parked their best guy when they came here as a statement that we couldn't beat them even with one hand tied behind their backs."

I've been saying all year that we're legitimate playoff contenders. Back in November, you should have heard the laughs and condescending tones of most people. They said, "Well it's great that your a huge fan but I doubt they'll make the playoffs this year. Maybe in a few years but not this year." Now when I remind them of that they just kind of shrug and say, "Oh well".

They simply can't/won't see the talent we have. It's amazing how quickly we've matured and how well we're doing right now. I really hope we make the playoffs so I can shut these negative nancies up!!!

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Why not mention names? As long as you are making a legitimate gripe about the place, that is what forum's like this are for. At the same time, if you find a place that does a great job of something, tout it on here.

Which place was it?

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Good point....On The Border on NW Hwy has always been very quick to turn on the game when asked and not just 1 TV but many.

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I think this is a very legitimate gripe. This is OKC's "pride and joy" team. Anywhere that has TV's for sports watching should have it on at least one unit. I don't see that it's the wait staff's responsibility but the bartenders and certainly the manager are responsible - especially after they were asked to show it and 15 minutes later its still not on.

okcpulse
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree.

I've had the help change the game to the Thunder and they had the same reaction, "What? The Thunder are playing tonight? Cool." So we at least get to see the game but it's surprising how many comments I hear from the crowd, "They need to start winning" or "I wish we had a better team". I'm stunned when I hear that.

I honestly think that if we make the playoffs, more people will start waking up to what a good team we have. I have friends that I consider sports nuts and they're dogging the Thunder. They say things like, "Other teams come here knowing we won't defend our home court" and "Look at the Spurs, they parked their best guy when they came here as a statement that we couldn't beat them even with one hand tied behind their backs."

I've been saying all year that we're legitimate playoff contenders. Back in November, you should have heard the laughs and condescending tones of most people. They said, "Well it's great that your a huge fan but I doubt they'll make the playoffs this year. Maybe in a few years but not this year." Now when I remind them of that they just kind of shrug and say, "Oh well".

They simply can't/won't see the talent we have. It's amazing how quickly we've matured and how well we're doing right now. I really hope we make the playoffs so I can shut these negative nancies up!!!

That's what annoys me about the city I love. There are too many self-depricating losers who dog their own home city. I'm sick of it. Not only are they ignorant, they're also completely insular. They are what's holding us back. Not the conservative crowd, not the politicians, but the negative nellies that sing the "Poor me I live in Oklahoma" song. Really pathetic.

adaniel
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. While I think the team gets great support here, there are way too many people in this area who could care less about sports if it doesn't have OU or OSU in front of it. Its really a travesty. After the Thunder put a whoopin on the Mavs the other night, I had an old friend from Dallas tell me,"you guys have a good team. I bet everyone's going nuts up there!" Ugh, I didn't even respond. Maybe part of the reason is the games are broadcast on Brady Brius TV. Hopefully this will change in the future and maybe ESPN or TNT can start carrying more.

I will say that Brix, McNellies, and BJ's on Memorial have had all had them on TV when I was there, and people were pretty into the game. Also, has anyone noticed that the First National Building is now lit up in "Thunder Blue"?

Watson410
02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Jethrol,
For the people saying "I wish they were a better team!" "I wish they would start winning" tell them we have the 9th best record in the NBA 9th out of 30.. and for your buddies that say teams play us know were not going to defend our court! LMAO tell them we have the 6th best defense in the NBA 6th out of 30.. and as for the Spurs parking their best guys, THEY WERE INJURIED! The Thunder/Spurs series is 3-3 all time as of today, so they don't exactly have it easy when it comes to OKC... Sounds like your buddies need to learn the facts lol. That being said, they are a MUCH better team this year than last year.. The people in OKC need to realize how special of a thing we have this year... Their improvement from one year to another doesn't happen every year, in fact it's only happened a couple times in the history of the NBA..

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 01:28 PM
That's what annoys me about the city I love. There are too many self-depricating losers who dog their own home city. I'm sick of it. Not only are they ignorant, they're also completely insular. They are what's holding us back. Not the conservative crowd, not the politicians, but the negative nellies that sing the "Poor me I live in Oklahoma" song. Really pathetic.

Luckily, these people are less and less of a factor. Those districts that have never voted for a bond issue or voted down all the MAPS elections are changing with every day. OKC's economy is going to boom when the national economy really starts to improve. Businesses are going to see what is going on here and want to be part of it. I just home some of the energy companies here are far sighted enough to see their fortune is just on "lease" and in 50 years we won't be using fossil fuels. Hopefully, they will start using their short term fortunes to invest in longer term businesses to grow or bring here.

Watson410
02-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Why not mention names? As long as you are making a legitimate gripe about the place, that is what forum's like this are for. At the same time, if you find a place that does a great job of something, tout it on here.

Which place was it?

The first place I went to was Henry Hudsons (everytime I go there, there's no Thunder game on any television) after waiting the 15 minutes we left and went to Old Chicago..

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
I applaud you for leaving. I hope before you left you told the manager why. Was it the one up by Baptist?

sroberts24
02-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I applaud you for leaving. I hope before you left you told the manager why. Was it the one up by Baptist?

went to hudsons last night after leaving bolero and the thunder game was on replay there... the one by baptist

Watson410
02-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Midwest City area

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I would be willing to bet that if you called the manager there, or at worst, the overall Henry Hudson's office, explained what you saw and explain that many people are now aware of what happened, you won't go in there again without the Thunder being on - or they have it on within a minute if they aren't showing it.

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Jethrol,
For the people saying "I wish they were a better team!" "I wish they would start winning" tell them we have the 9th best record in the NBA 9th out of 30.. and for your buddies that say teams play us know were not going to defend our court! LMAO tell them we have the 6th best defense in the NBA 6th out of 30.. and as for the Spurs parking their best guys, THEY WERE INJURIED! The Thunder/Spurs series is 3-3 all time as of today, so they don't exactly have it easy when it comes to OKC... Sounds like your buddies need to learn the facts lol. That being said, they are a MUCH better team this year than last year.. The people in OKC need to realize how special of a thing we have this year... Their improvement from one year to another doesn't happen every year, in fact it's only happened a couple times in the history of the NBA..

All good points and I agree. I've spent a lot of time educating these friends. The same one that made the "parking" comment about the spurs also said, "We better start winning soon or else we'll be out of the playoffs. When I told him that we were, at that time, tied for 8th and that we were in the playoffs if the season ended right then and that we had an easier 2nd 1/2 of the year than most teams he said, "well I hope you're right". Funny thing is...he's not a basketball fan so he's applying his football logic to the hardwood.

My attitude is this, I may not be able to change their minds about the Thunder but I can certainly be up on the teams facts and help to educate them about how good we are. The Thunder actually make this quite easy because of their play.

I'm so fired up for this team....I mean it's just amazingly cool that here we have these incredible players making an outstanding run and all the "buzz" at the all star game was about our very own KD!! I love it!!

Watson410
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I would be willing to bet that if you called the manager there, or at worst, the overall Henry Hudson's office, explained what you saw and explain that many people are now aware of what happened, you won't go in there again without the Thunder being on - or they have it on within a minute if they aren't showing it.

I think that's a great idea... I'll even personally deliver a magnetic Thunder schedule so they know when the games are! lol. If anyone else has problem with the issue at other bars/restaurants I strongly suggest you do what MugofBeer said.. we can change OKC one bar at a time! lol.. we can try anyways

rod4soonrs
02-21-2010, 02:05 PM
BWW on Nw expressway, is a great place to watch thunder games!

circled9
02-21-2010, 02:07 PM
My main concern is that our selling point to the nba was that as a major league city, we would support the team even if they were bad. its great that they are where they are but if the support goes away if something bad happens, expect them to go to kansas city and okc can forget about ever being a major league town again.

By the way, as a season ticket holder, i sure see a lot of empty seats for games advertised as a sell out. If you cant make it to the game, give your ticket to somebody else.

Finally, have you ever noticed that after the crowd does the stupid day-0 chant, something bad usually happens.

Ok, this really is my final comment and really mean it this time. Drafting a sooner or cowboy would do wonders for public image. The fans loved desmond mason. I am not saying trade durant for blake but when your star is a longhorn for life in his own words, it does make it a little harder to get as excited about his performance as it would for a hometown kid.

Watson410
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
All good points and I agree. I've spent a lot of time educating these friends. The same one that made the "parking" comment about the spurs also said, "We better start winning soon or else we'll be out of the playoffs. When I told him that we were, at that time, tied for 8th and that we were in the playoffs if the season ended right then and that we had an easier 2nd 1/2 of the year than most teams he said, "well I hope you're right". Funny thing is...he's not a basketball fan so he's applying his football logic to the hardwood.

My attitude is this, I may not be able to change their minds about the Thunder but I can certainly be up on the teams facts and help to educate them about how good we are. The Thunder actually make this quite easy because of their play.

I'm so fired up for this team....I mean it's just amazingly cool that here we have these incredible players making an outstanding run and all the "buzz" at the all star game was about our very own KD!! I love it!!

That's how a lot of people are around here, (right now anyways) they try to transfer their pigskin knowledge to Hardwood knowledge.. oh well, at least they're trying.. give them a few more years of NBA basketball and more people will start to come around and actually look up the facts instead of talking out of their ass. This teams improvement and buzz is GREAT for the City of OKC. It's helping to put us on the map... Having a bonafide SUPERSTAR helps too! lol.

BG918
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I was in Tulsa this past weekend and the Thunder game was on several TV's (along with Olympics) at the Brookside Charleston's. There were quite a few people watching and rooting for OKC. You even see a few bars with the Thunder neon signs in their windows, pretty cool to see.

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
I was in Tulsa this past weekend and the Thunder game was on several TV's (along with Olympics) at the Brookside Charleston's. There were quite a few people watching and rooting for OKC. You even see a few bars with the Thunder neon signs in their windows, pretty cool to see.

That's great to hear. IF I owned the bar and the Thunder were on, there would be plenty of food and drink specials and lots of noise.

Watson410
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Drafting a sooner or cowboy would do wonders for public image. The fans loved desmond mason. I am not saying trade durant for blake but when your star is a longhorn for life in his own words, it does make it a little harder to get as excited about his performance as it would for a hometown kid.

WHAT?!?!?! I know that's just your opinion but that's a lame statement. OU and/or OSU have NEVER had a Kevin Durant caliber player... EVER!! Kevin Durant may have went to Texas but thats absolutely stupid to say you wouldn't want him on your hometown NBA team because of that reason. Durant shouldn't be traded for anyone outside of Bryant, James, or maybe D. Howard. I could understand them drafting a D. Mason caliber type player to have on the roster but not to give up one of the best up and coming players in the NBA for someone that hasn't played a minute in the NBA yet (Griffin) Kevin Durant is an OKC Thunder who happened to go to Texas, so there for he's one of us.

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 02:25 PM
My main concern is that our selling point to the nba was that as a major league city, we would support the team even if they were bad. its great that they are where they are but if the support goes away if something bad happens, expect them to go to kansas city and okc can forget about ever being a major league town again.
WTF? This will never happen! The Thunder isn't going anywhere. Owners group are local businessmen and they aren't about to move the team.

Ok, this really is my final comment and really mean it this time. Drafting a sooner or cowboy would do wonders for public image. The fans loved desmond mason. I am not saying trade durant for blake but when your star is a longhorn for life in his own words, it does make it a little harder to get as excited about his performance as it would for a hometown kid.
I disagree and I'm glad to see that Sam P isn't making the mistake of keeping local boys simply to appease some fans. Fans will get behind the team as we continue to improve. Watch how many people become Thunder fans when we make the playoffs!

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
:woowoo: That's awesome! I'm glad to hear this.

RedDirt717
02-21-2010, 02:29 PM
It's frustrating because, OKC has one of the most exciting teams in the history of basketball right now.....yes the entire history of the NBA, and Oklahoma City gets to watch a team of young and fun athletes represent our city.

Not to mention we now have the longest winning streak in the league, the most exciting young player since Lebron James shooting in the Ford center. It really makes me wonder if we appreciate the team, a team that is very literally the envy of every city in the Country.

But alas, until we make the playoffs and gain a respectable basketball IQ around the city no one will see the Thunder as anything other than 41 Home games and the occasional run in with Russell Westbrook at the Cheesecake factory.

RedDirt717
02-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Makes you wonder if Tulsa would support the team better. I love all things OKC, but Tulsa has much more of a chip on their shoulder than we do. Though our city leaders have been very proactive, our citizens have been fairly apathetic outside of the 18000 that make it to the games and the handful of people that make it to the voters booth to secure funding for the Ford.

Portland has had 100+ sellouts at the rose garden with a pretty similar population base. Step it up OKC or this team will wither and die.

kbsooner
02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Reality is with the Sooners down this season in both sports and the Cowboy's bowl debacle, the Thunder can really seize this city's heart and probably beyond by making the playoffs. If they play a competitive series and even advance, it will be NUTS!

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Step it up OKC or this team will wither and die.
:LolLolLol
That won't happen either.

Remember back before The Bulls were winning championships and MJ was just a young player? I do and no one gave them any cred. They all just kind of poo pooed the team and any mention of there greatness even though there was much to be impressed with.

Then when they started winning the fans came out of the woodwork. I was accused of being a bandwagon fan by people that I wasn't hanging around when they were ****ty....so they didn't realize how long I had been a fan.

I see a LOT of similarities between the Thunder and the pre-championship Bulls.

z28james
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Glad you made a post about this, nothing burns me up more when a bar does not have a Thunder game on, I will usually let it be known they they need to turn it on. I am also psyched about this team, they are playing the lame Timberwolves tonight and I cant wait to seem them go for another win!

I am a OU alum and love when OU plays, but sorry to the big 12 and college basketball, I prefer NBA now over college ball any day, even if the Thunder lose every game.

so1rfan
02-21-2010, 03:50 PM
The problem is the Thunder has not yet captured the casual fan. I would venture a guess that you could ask 100 people on the street to name more than one player and less than 20% could do it.

There is a noticeable lack of people wearing Thunder gear as well. One problem to this is the NBA's contract with adidas. They make it virtual impossible for retailers to carry the merchandise. I know of perhaps five retail locations outside of the Ford Center that carries Thunder gear. Wal-Mart might carry one rack of some real low-end merchandise but that's about it. Now think of how many retail outlets carry OU and oSu gear. Kohl's for example doesn't have a single Thunder item but racks of OU stuff.

Also, I refuse to listen to that ego sports talk radio station. My guess is the people that call in are talking about Landry Jones and Bob Stoops rather than Russell Westbrook and Thabo Sefolosha.

Can local business use Thunder players to do television spots? Would that help the casual fan start to recognize them more?

z28james
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
so1rfan you hit another nerve of mine, you can NEVER find any places that carry a decent selection of Thunder gear, hell even the damn Ford center and leadership square Thunder shops are weak. Go to academy, I see 2 big racks of Dallas Cowboys junk, 2 huge sections of bedlam and ONE peg of Durant jerseys that are XXXXXXXL, I am a Nike fan, but I could deal with the Adidas stuff if they would make some stuff that doesn't look so generic.

It also frustrates me that the sports animal says it the Thunder flagship when they hardly ever have the players on. I have never heard Kevin Durant do 1 interview on WWLS. I understand we all want our OU and OSU recruiting updates and Tigergate talk, but please sports animal ween yourself off the college tit for a few min, at least when football season is over.

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 04:05 PM
so1rfan you hit another nerve of mine, you can NEVER find any places that carry a decent selection of Thunder gear, hell even the damn Ford center and leadership square Thunder shops are weak. Go to academy, I see 2 big racks of Dallas Cowboys junk, 2 huge sections of bedlam and ONE peg of Durant jerseys that are XXXXXXXL, I am a Nike fan, but I could deal with the Adidas stuff if they would make some stuff that doesn't look so generic.
Oh yeah, this is a HUGE issue for me. I want to support my team but I refuse to buy ugly crap that I won't ever wear. The few Thunder items I do have, I like but I'm having a hard time really gearing up. I really wish they would get this sorted out.

bluedogok
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Maybe part of the reason is the games are broadcast on Brady Brius TV. Hopefully this will change in the future and maybe ESPN or TNT can start carrying more.
They pickup most of the games here in Austin on FSN-Oklahoma with the NBA League Pass subscription, they show them almost as much as the Spurs down here...kind of funny since Durant was a "one and done" at UT which irritates some of the academic types there.

Every time that I have been visiting my parents the games are on FSN-OK just like we get the Spurs, Mavericks and Rocket games down here, all are on the various FSN regional sports networks and most every other NBA, NHL or MLB team is broadcast on regional sports networks and not on OTA. The only games that aren't on an RSN are the games picked up by ESPN or TNT, even if they have basic Cox cable, they should be getting FSN-OK. It isn't like the Hornets situation being broadcast on the Cox-only cable station.

Oh yeah, this is a HUGE issue for me. I want to support my team but I refuse to buy ugly crap that I won't ever wear. The few Thunder items I do have, I like but I'm having a hard time really gearing up. I really wish they would get this sorted out.
That is the thing that I hate about the league controlled gear, every team has the same look with just different colors and names. They need to expand their offerings, in fact most leagues need to or at least allow the team to do some of their own like the Dallas Cowboys do. My wife is a Cowboys fan and you can find many more items than the standard issue NFL copy gear, MLB does this as well.

BDP
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I love this team. Way better than anything the Hornets put on the court while they were here as well.

The TV coverage is pretty good, too. All in HD and most on FS Oklahoma. (complete with SUPER homer commentary)

Some of the merchandise is good. I like the Adidas look better than the Nike and Reebok stuff. Much more fashionable. However, I just wish they would ditch the THUNDER above the logo. I'm not a huge fan of the logo itself, but it's about average for the NBA, which has a lot of hokey logos. But, the THUNDER above the OKC shield looks goofy, like they initially forgot it.

ESPN just called the team the "hottest team in the NBA" (of course, I think the same exact guy called Utah that about 10 minutes later... probably because they are airing a Utah game next), Durant has the 2nd longest streak of 25 pts a game, and the they have the longest current winning streak in the NBA. If people don't know we have an NBA team by now, well, sign them up for the bandwagon, because it's going to start filling up.

dismayed
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I think that's a great idea... I'll even personally deliver a magnetic Thunder schedule so they know when the games are! lol.

Actually, that right there is a great idea. All us Thunder fans should just take some magnet schedules, flyers, etc. that they give out at the games with us and leave them at the various bars and restaurants around town that we frequent. Maybe say hi to the manger on the way out, thank them for such a great establishment and give them the magnet and ask them if they could start playing the games....

okcpulse
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Makes you wonder if Tulsa would support the team better. I love all things OKC, but Tulsa has much more of a chip on their shoulder than we do. Though our city leaders have been very proactive, our citizens have been fairly apathetic outside of the 18000 that make it to the games and the handful of people that make it to the voters booth to secure funding for the Ford.

Portland has had 100+ sellouts at the rose garden with a pretty similar population base. Step it up OKC or this team will wither and die.

I really think this is being taken out of context. We are complaining about a few dive bars that don't play Thunder games on TV. Yet there are better establishments that have the Thunder on TV once the game goes live. Let's support these businesses.

I mean, why would any self-respecting Oklahoma Citian or Thunder fan cheer on our NBA team at... Henry Hudson's. I got to enjoy a Thunder game at Fox and Hound in 2009, and that was their first season and losing season.

My entire family gets behind the Thunder, and some of my friends. They are avid followers. There are more supporters out there than we are giving credit for. Just kick the negative nellies to the curb. Who cares about them anyway?

Richard at Remax
02-21-2010, 09:28 PM
last time i was at tapwerks we had to persuade the owner to turn one tv to the thunder game cause he wanted to watch the olympic opening ceremonies instead.

mugofbeer
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
How could you NOT love a team that just thwacked the NEW YORK KNICKS??? Bet they start learning where OKC is now!

betts
02-21-2010, 11:23 PM
One of the biggest problems is that the Thunder play on FOX. It's knee jerk for these bars to put ESPN on, and, if they're not Thunder fans, they have no idea what nights they play. I agree it's stupid, and it makes me really angry that they can't take the time to figure out when our team is playing. I usually go to BRIX, as I know they'll have the game on. Next year we'll have more ESPN and TNT games, based on how well we're doing this year, and the fact that we have Durant. It's just sad that it will take national television exposure for some of our local establishments to get the message.

OKC Thunder Fans - Oklahoma City NBA — Oklahoma City NBA - Fans of the Thunder (http://www.okcthunderfans.com)

HOT ROD
02-22-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up. While I think the team gets great support here, there are way too many people in this area who could care less about sports if it doesn't have OU or OSU in front of it. Its really a travesty. After the Thunder put a whoopin on the Mavs the other night, I had an old friend from Dallas tell me,"you guys have a good team. I bet everyone's going nuts up there!" Ugh, I didn't even respond. Maybe part of the reason is the games are broadcast on Brady Brius TV. Hopefully this will change in the future and maybe ESPN or TNT can start carrying more.

I will say that Brix, McNellies, and BJ's on Memorial have had all had them on TV when I was there, and people were pretty into the game. Also, has anyone noticed that the First National Building is now lit up in "Thunder Blue"?

Picture please, for us expats. :D

HOT ROD
02-22-2010, 04:02 AM
One of the biggest problems is that the Thunder play on FOX. It's knee jerk for these bars to put ESPN on, and, if they're not Thunder fans, they have no idea what nights they play. I agree it's stupid, and it makes me really angry that they can't take the time to figure out when our team is playing. I usually go to BRIX, as I know they'll have the game on. Next year we'll have more ESPN and TNT games, based on how well we're doing this year, and the fact that we have Durant. It's just sad that it will take national television exposure for some of our local establishments to get the message.

OKC Thunder Fans - Oklahoma City NBA — Oklahoma City NBA - Fans of the Thunder (http://www.okcthunderfans.com)

why doesn't the media do a better job promoting/advertising the team, it's success, and when games are being played????

I remember, when the Sonics were here - EVERY HOME GAME, then news would bring it up; mostly as a traffic hazard but also to make sure people knew. They would also have great coverage for away games, particularly during the Sports segment of the news.

I haven't seen OKC's local news broadcast in like 15 years - BUT, could the media be doing a better job at promoting/advertising the team and thereby educating the common OKC resident about their team?

I too get very annoyed with the negative susans sans OKC. These people just have their mind stuck in 1980 - when OKC was a 'small' conservative big city with no progress. 2010 OKC is completely different in most aspects - yet these neg-ies just can't open their eyes to it.

I think, when the Thunder makes the playoffs and coverage gets on national TV AND the local media does a much better job at big league reporting - there will be even more OKC residents with pride in their city, their team, and themselves.

betts
02-22-2010, 07:22 AM
There's actually much better coverage than last year. Sports talk radio has basically been forced to talk about the Thunder because people are calling in to talk about them. And the DOK has had far more stories this year than last. But, if you buy a hard copy of the paper, frequently OSU or OU women's basketball has top billing, still. Which is odd, because the Everests are big supporters of Thunder basketball. They're at almost every game.

I think the biggest problem is simply keeping people informed about when we have games. The DOK has a preview of an upcoming game the day of, and it does sometimes get mentioned during the day on the Sports Animal. They have pre-game coverage of every game and a radio broadcast of every game. So, the less than casual sports fan is certainly informed. I just wish we were picking up more of the casual fans, and wish we were developing a bandwagon. We'll see what the crowd is like for the Phoenix game, which should have a playoff-like atmosphere, since they're directly below us in the standings.

RedDirt717
02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
It would be interesting if we could get a group formed by dailythunder.com for a restaurant/bar boycott of any establishment that doesn't host thunder games.

dailythunder.com is having a pre game event with upwards of 300 people. Get a couple thousand to make an agreement and it would kind of force places to play them, might get some great press too with the NBA.

fuzzytoad
02-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I was at Hooters last night. They had the Thunder game on one of the 7 or 8 TVs there.

Nobody was watching it.

earlywinegareth
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Red Lobster on I-240 had the game on 3 TVs in the bar, but not the big screen.

I think the fact we've only started really playing well fairly recently, a lot of people tuned out the Thunder last fall and haven't paid attention lately.

Kerry
02-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I was at Hooters last night. They had the Thunder game on one of the 7 or 8 TVs there.

Nobody was watching it.

My guess is the average Hooters goer doesn't even realize Hooters has TVs. They don't see anything more the 5 feet above the floor. Heck, they probably don't even know if their waitress has eyes or not.

I exclude you from this generalization fuzzytoad. I am sure you go there for the chicken wings.:smile:

fuzzytoad
02-22-2010, 08:13 AM
My guess is the avergae Hooters goer doesn't even realize Hooters has TVs. They don't see anything more the 5 feet above the floor. Heck, they probably don't even know if their waitress has eyes or not.

I know you're trying to be funny and all, but we went there specifically to eat wings and watch the Olympics. It looked like most everyone else there was doing the same thing.

Kerry
02-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I know you're trying to be funny and all, but we went there specifically to eat wings and watch the Olympics. It looked like most everyone else there was doing the same thing.

Yes, I was trying to be funny. I caught "Undercover Boss" last week when the CEO of Hooters went undercover in their stores. He acted like he was shocked to see women wearing tight clothes and that the name "Hooters" might keep women from going there.

TaoMaas
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Remember back before The Bulls were winning championships and MJ was just a young player? I do and no one gave them any cred. They all just kind of poo pooed the team and any mention of there greatness even though there was much to be impressed with.

Then when they started winning the fans came out of the woodwork. I was accused of being a bandwagon fan by people that I wasn't hanging around when they were ****ty....so they didn't realize how long I had been a fan.

I see a LOT of similarities between the Thunder and the pre-championship Bulls.

Thank you, Jethrol! I used to watch the Bulls in the "pre-Scotty Pippin" days, too. And I totally agree with you that the Thunder are very similar to those early Bulls teams. I think they're one or two players away from being a very scary team.

betts
02-22-2010, 08:52 AM

I actually go to Hooters with my husband on occasion because I like their wings and it's easy to walk to. I certainly don't go there for the waitresses. But, I also don't go there to watch sports tv, and I don't know why anyone else would either. It's almost impossible to watch anything because their tvs are so high and the volume is low. So, I wouldn't use the crowd at Hooters to judge the affection of people in OKC for the Thunder.

Roosters actually has a great viewing atmosphere and if they would not salt their chicken so hightly, I'd be very inclined to go there. Most of the smaller establishments, if they don't have the Thunder on the television, are happy to oblige.

fuzzytoad
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I actually go to Hooters with my husband on occasion because I like their wings and it's easy to walk to. I certainly don't go there for the waitresses. But, I also don't go there to watch sports tv, and I don't know why anyone else would either. It's almost impossible to watch anything because their tvs are so high and the volume is low. So, I wouldn't use the crowd at Hooters to judge the affection of people in OKC for the Thunder.

you must be talking about the one Downtown. Yeah, the TVs there suck.

circled9
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Glad to get have a couple of my points acknowledged. Look at my post a little closer and you will see that i did not say to trade blake for durant. However, as long as Kevin wants to be a longhorn for life (his words), there will be a certain element of our fan base that will be waiting for a sooner or cowboy to sweep them off their feet whether he is the star of the team or not.

All I can say to the Post that the Thunder would never leave if attendance got bad, take a look at Sacramento. People said the same thing a few years ago. Sure, it would have to be a situation that developed over a few years but dont think it couldnt happen.

BDP
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
WTF? This will never happen! The Thunder isn't going anywhere. Owners group are local businessmen and they aren't about to move the team.

You're right. They won't move it. They will sell it.

They may be local, but they are still BUSINESS men.

There's a market within a days drive that has an awesome new arena just waiting for a major league tenant. I don't think it would be hard to unload the team on them if the market here gets apathetic.

Northsider
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah Kevin Durant's agent came into my store the other day and he was discussing the lack of attention that kevin gets in OKC.

He said that he is from houston and when he goes there they got a whole side in foot locker devoted to the rockets. Another halve is lebron james who does'nt even play for houston nor has any ties,of course this is because of the demand there is for his things so a business obviously would have his items (but a whole half of a store)?

He went on to say that other NBA towns have there Star players banners and signs hung all over the place and in some cases draped over large downtown buildings.

he's right. Come on Kevin Durant on this pace is going to not only go to the hall of fame but, possibly be one of the top scorers in NBA history.

Get use to it Oklahoma City your a NBA City and a good one at that.
Down the road with all of the upgrades being made to the ford center, downtown and the C2S area not only are there opportunity for our city to host playoffs(this year).

It's a reasonable assumption that we will host the NBA All-star weekend in our town down the road ,not very far fetched david Stern(NBA Commissioner) loves OKC for what we did for the Hornets franchise in its time of need. He just doesn't know it was our time of need also.

onthestrip
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Glad to get have a couple of my points acknowledged. Look at my post a little closer and you will see that i did not say to trade blake for durant. However, as long as Kevin wants to be a longhorn for life (his words), there will be a certain element of our fan base that will be waiting for a sooner or cowboy to sweep them off their feet whether he is the star of the team or not.

Only when he denounces UT will you really be a fan of Kevin Durant? I just want the best players that give us the most wins. Not once do I think of where these guys played college ball. An okie on the team (one that's good) is just a bonus but thunder management need not to sacrifice other good talent for one. Some of you need to ease up on your unconditional love for OU and drop you hate for anything not OU. His jersey says Oklahoma City now.

Oh, and if folks are waiting for an OSU or OU guy to sweep them off their feet then I hope you have patience because Durant is quickly becoming a top 5 player in the NBA.

so1rfan
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah Kevin Durant's agent came into my store the other day and he was discussing the lack of attention that kevin gets in OKC.

He said that he is from houston and when he goes there they got a whole side in foot locker devoted to the rockets. Another halve is lebron james who does'nt even play for houston nor has any ties,of course this is because of the demand there is for his things so a business obviously would have his items (but a whole half of a store)?

He went on to say that other NBA towns have there Star players banners and signs hung all over the place and in some cases draped over large downtown buildings.

he's right. Come on Kevin Durant on this pace is going to not only go to the hall of fame but, possibly be one of the top scorers in NBA history.

Get use to it Oklahoma City your a NBA City and a good one at that.
Down the road with all of the upgrades being made to the ford center, downtown and the C2S area not only are there opportunity for our city to host playoffs(this year).

It's a reasonable assumption that we will host the NBA All-star weekend in our town down the road ,not very far fetched david Stern(NBA Commissioner) loves OKC for what we did for the Hornets franchise in its time of need. He just doesn't know it was our time of need also.

Then he needs to talk to Sam Presti and Brooks.

From a NY Times article: "Durant has shot Nike commercials, but the Thunder has no individual marketing campaign for Durant. To do so would run against the concept instilled by General Manager Sam Presti and Coach Scott Brooks.

In the team’s practice facility, cropped pictures of the Thunder in action depict teammates helping each other up. The jersey insignia is noticeable, but not the faces of individual players. The message is clear: the team comes first. Indeed, Presti seems happy that any recognition Durant has received is through his performance on the court and not through a slick marketing campaign."

Of course that doesn't mean your local Footlocker can't devote half of their store to KD.

betts
02-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Despite Houston's aggressive marketing for their NBA team, the Rockets are ranked 19th in attendance, with 92% of their arena occupied, as compared to OKC, which is ranked 12th, with 98% of the arena occupied on the average. Now, those numbers may reflect improved marketing on Houston's behalf, as I believe their attendance figures were close to the cellar last year. It may be that some cities' aggressive marketing tactics reflect poor attendance and ticket sales, rather than enthusiastic support for the team.

What I would like to see in OKC, is streetlight banners near the Ford Center, showing off the players and/or the team, if individual players' pictures violate the team concept. There were some great ones at the NBA All Star game in Dallas, and we could do something like that. If the Thunder make it to the playoffs, we definitely need more advertising of the team, and I'd love to see some massive banners downtown. We are incredibly lucky, IMO, to have any team, but especially this team, with this great group of guys. We need to celebrate that.

And, what we really, really need is aggressive marketing of televised games, to increase home viewership....not just bar viewership. We need to do it around the state, as well, as the city's market share is very small by NBA standards, but when combined with Tulsa and Lawton, is a mid-range market.

betts
02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Only when he denounces UT will you really be a fan of Kevin Durant? I just want the best players that give us the most wins. Not once do I think of where these guys played college ball. An okie on the team (one that's good) is just a bonus but thunder management need not to sacrifice other good talent for one. Some of you need to ease up on your unconditional love for OU and drop you hate for anything not OU. His jersey says Oklahoma City now.

A corollary to this may occur in the NFL draft this year. Ironically, according to some of the NFL draft projections, Seattle may draft Sam Bradford. The potential leader of their team will be from the city they hate the most, if that happens. I suspect if that occurs, and he's a winner, his city of origin will quickly disappear from their minds. That's the way I feel about KD. I'm not a Texas fan, but his jersey reads Oklahoma City, and that's good enough for me.

Richard at Remax
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Not liking KD cause he went to texas for ONE year is absurd.