View Full Version : Do people in OKC not realize we have an NBA team?!?!?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

OKCMallen
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I actually see them on a lot when I'm out. The Sip, Bolero, Iron Starr, Iguana Grill...all have it on about every time really.

mugofbeer
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, there's the answer. If they don't have th egame on and you want to see it - and they don't change to it - then leave!

fuzzytoad
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, there's the answer. If they don't have th egame on and you want to see it - and they don't change to it - then leave!

nononono!

All establishments must be *FORCED* to switch any and all televisions to the Thunder, anytime there's a game, a news report, a commercial or a PSA with Thunder players in it.

Then we need to setup a task force to monitor every single establishment in the state to enforce this rule.

Boycots and arson will be the recommended enforcement tool when an infraction is discovered!!!

Furthermore, if patrons in these establishments are *not* watching the Thunder, they shall be issued citations with fines ranging from $500 - $2500 to help pay for Ford Center improvements.

Or... some of you people could get some perspective and stop making such a big deal out of this nothing issue.

betts
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
It's actually not a "nothing" issue. One of the revenue streams for a team is the television contract it can negotiate with a local channel. We've got Fox Sports Oklahoma, a branch of Fox Sports Southwest providing coverage. Audience share determines how much the new contract, when it is negotiated, will be worth. We're a small market team, and so our television contract is a major cause of concern. Cities like NYC and Chicago have massive television contracts, which is why they generate so much more revenue than other NBA cities, and which is why they're usually afloat financially, no matter how well their team is doing.

So, getting people to watch the Thunder on television is actually one of the primary ways, aside from buying tickets and going to the games, that we can help the team financially. A bigger fan base creates more cash flow in multiple different ways, and with our market size, we need every revenue source we can get.

Obviously, no one is advocating we do anything other than vote with our pocketbooks. I have no problem leaving an establishment that won't show a Thunder game, but I'll make sure they know why. And, although it's a small thing, I always DVR the games, even if I'm attending. I like to rewatch the good ones, and it helps boost viewing numbers.

BigD Misey
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
To bring the college mentality to this professional frenchise is a mistake that fans cannot make!!
If there is anything that will make or break an NBA franchise in OKC, its bringing college rivalry bias and hatred to the pro's.
I'm betting though that the majority of true NBA fans in OKC give FULL SUPPORT to KD. If there is any chance of this team keeping him, it sounds like the city and some fans need to be a bit more appreciative of who he is and will be in the history of the NBA.
Go Thunder! & Keep it real OKC!

mugofbeer
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
nononono!

All establishments must be *FORCED* to switch any and all televisions to the Thunder, anytime there's a game, a news report, a commercial or a PSA with Thunder players in it.

Then we need to setup a task force to monitor every single establishment in the state to enforce this rule.

Boycots and arson will be the recommended enforcement tool when an infraction is discovered!!!

Furthermore, if patrons in these establishments are *not* watching the Thunder, they shall be issued citations with fines ranging from $500 - $2500 to help pay for Ford Center improvements.

Or... some of you people could get some perspective and stop making such a big deal out of this nothing issue.

I will echo Betts. This is NOT a "nothing" issue. Whether you may like it or not, our one and only major league sports team is a major piece of this city's economic image to the rest of the country. Having a major league sports franchise has a large intangble value. People in certain national sports media still turn up their nose at the idea of an OKC team. But when that team comes up and beats the NY Knicks, there is notice given.

Any sports bar in this city should have at least one TV on the game or they can be seen as not being supportive of our city. But in the case of the subect of this thread, the employees were asked to turn one on and after 15 minutes they still hadn't, they SHOULD be named and they should feel it in their bottom line.

The perspective is this is support for one of the most valuable things this city has right now. You may prefer the opera and pat the back of your hand when you clap, you may prefer PBS and snivel at the conservatives or you may prefer to just sit at home and read seed catalogs under the light of your propane lamps, but none of that promotes this city. None that promotes emotional responses or civic pride. A major league sports franchise that is one of the better teams out there, and gets almost nightly publicity does.

soonerguru
02-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Not liking KD cause he went to texas for ONE year is absurd.

This is ridiculous if anyone actually thinks this way.

KD is the most humble guy imaginable, particularly given the comet he is on the NBA stage. He is an absolute super star already, and he's just getting started.

What's funny is a lot of Longhorn fans are having to swallow their hatred of all things Oklahoma as well. Many of them are now following the Thunder.

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Agreed with the above statement! KD is awesome. If Blake Griffin had been drafted by Oklahoma City last year I would not have any problems rooting for him. How many Sooner Thunder fans do you think didn't cheer for Desmond Mason while he was here with either the Hornets or the Thunder? Not many if you ask me. Sure, they're going to flaunt their ties with the colleges they attended but good for them! They're professionals now and we shouldn't not root for them because of that...

Now, in regards to what the OP said--which I had been meaning to reply to this all day--every night I go to a Hudsons (that being their Memorial location) the game is always on. If you frequent the place enough or the staff recognizes you, it shouldn't be a problem for them to make a quick change in the channels.

To the folks with the ideas about taking extra schedules to local pubs/dives/bars, that sounds excellent! It'll take time but I think its necessary by the end of this season that they be on top of it starting next year. And in regards to the Sports Animal being the "flagship" station of the Thunder...they do a decent job. After broadcasts of the game, they take it back to the studio and have a post game show with call ins for prob an hour and a half afterward!

Richard at Remax
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
They said earlier today that James Harden was coming on with traber but I didnt know if it happened or not

z28james
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
yea he was on and it was a good interview, but would rather have heard KD or Westbrook, but I applaud their effort.

If a bar or grill has TV's, especially if its a man bar/grill like hooters, in OKC, it is a EPIC FAIL to not have a Thunder game on at least 1 TV,

stephy
02-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Are some of you seriously suggesting that businesses that choose to show whatever sporting event they want should be boycotted. During the Olympics?

You want to make it mandatory that they have a thunder game on at least one tv or they'll be blacklisted?

What country is this?

wtf is wrong with you people?

stephy
02-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Oh, and if a handful of televisions across the city not tuned into a Thunder game is goiing to jeopardize the franchise, then there's a completely different set of things wrong with your basketball team's leadership.

OU Adonis
02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Well the Thunder won't ever have the fan support of OU football it definately should beat out all other sports in the state.

I do agree that its BS that its hard to find the games at the local bar. The local talk shows don't talk near enough thunder basketball either. I personally think we need a good viable 2nd option with sports talk. Nothing can compete with the animal right now and thats lame.

Kerry
02-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I am as big an OU fan as anyone, but I am a bigger OKC fan.

mugofbeer
02-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Are some of you seriously suggesting that businesses that choose to show whatever sporting event they want should be boycotted. During the Olympics?

You want to make it mandatory that they have a thunder game on at least one tv or they'll be blacklisted?

What country is this?

You're not getting it Stephy. Sports bars have multiple TV's. If you go into one and REQUEST THEY PUT THE GAME ON - and they still haven't done it 15 minutes later - you leave. Let them know why you took your business elsewhere. Let people know what happened. They will start showing it. Thats free enterprise, that's why people boycott products that promote or advertise on objectionable shows, that's what makes a successful or an unsuccessful business.

This town has ONE major league sports franchise. We need to do everythign we can to ensure it is successful.

OU Adonis
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Well I am a fan of OKC as well. I am just saying I don't see it dominating the state like OU football does. But that doesn't mean it can't dominate everything outside of OU football.

College football in the USA is more popular than the NBA unfortunately, and thats part of the reason it won't supplant OU football.

But there is nothing wrong with having two passions. And the support for the thunder needs to keep growing.

betts
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM

What country is this?

Not blacklisted. Rather, not patronized. If you're a Thunder fan and you can't watch your team at a particular restaurant or club because management isn't willing to show the game, then it's one's right as a citizen of this country to spend one's money elsewhere. Some of us prefer watching our team over watching the Olympics. Tonight, the Olympics are being DVR'd at my house, while I go to the Thunder game. Different people have different priorities and interests.

soonerguru
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM

Then you're probably not as big a fan of OU as others. Many OU fans have been following the Sooners their entire lives. That's hard to usurp by a three-year-old NBA franchise.

mugofbeer
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Agreed, OU and OSU sports have had 100+ years to build a tradition. The Thunder has had only a couple. It will take time but it also takes the willingness of businesses around here to promote the team - which in my book = promoting the city.

warreng88
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
This might be a problem for the Thunder marketing team. They should have people go out once the schedule is finalized to all the known sports bars and give them calendars for when the games are on. Then, once or twice a month, go back to remind them when the games are on and offer free stuff. People love free stuff.

Richard at Remax
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
americas pub does a great job of promoting thier specials before the thunder games.

Sooner
02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
come to Brix....we put the thunder game on the biggest screen in bricktown.....

every game...

Urbanized
02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Brix, Bolero, Mickey Mantle's, Tapwerks, the Bricktown Brewery, Coaches, plus McNellie's, Iguana, Mid-Town Deli, 1492, Red Prime... ...pretty much every downtown establishment that I can think of that shows any sports at all show every Thunder game.

I think it will take a little time for John Q. Public to remember to watch games on TV. The current winning play we're seeing is going to speed that up. But I remember a team or a league person (I think) saying last year that OKC fans would evenutually realize that it is an 82 rather than a 41 game season. Apparently it is fairly common during the year for (previously) non-NBA fans in new markets to only be interested in home games, and then mostly only the ones they attend.

Personally, before the Hornets came, I couldn't give a rip about NBA hoop. I loved college ball, which is STILL more than a lot of Oklahomans could say regarding basketball. I bought 4 season tickets both Hornets seasons, and missed a single game each season. Yet I hardly ever watched the away games on TV; really not until the end of the Hornets' run did I watch them at all. The last two years, I have had 2 season tickets. Last year I made 41 games at the Ford Center. This year I have missed 2, and been to an away game. I'm going to another away game next month. All of this self-congratulation to say I guess that I have become a pretty big NBA fan by most measures. Yet this is the first season where it has been important for me to ALSO watch all of the away games on TV.

I think it's just a maturation process, and as OKC matures as a market, you will start seeing more people rabidly watching every game and talking about them on WWLS, etc. As Kevin Durant continues his meteoric rise, you will see kids glomming onto him like crazy. And you'll see them walking around in his hideous Cheetos shoes. And Foot Locker will have a section devoted to him. And adults, even hardcore OU fans like me, will learn to love him because he is first and foremost a team player, a class act, humble, and on the track towards becoming one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Don't just listen to me on that last point; listen to the opposing players and coaches and NBA analysts. His game is ridiculous already, and he's far from peaking. Anyone who isn't on the KD train for silly reasons like what school he attended is missing out. BIGTIME.

And again, the current success we're having will ramp up that acceptance process considerably. LOTS of folks will likely be jumping on this bandwagon, trust me.

OKCMallen
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Brix, Bolero, Mickey Mantle's, Tapwerks, the Bricktown Brewery, Coaches, plus McNellie's, Iguana, Mid-Town Deli, 1492, Red Prime... ...pretty much every downtown establishment that I can think of that shows any sports at all show every Thunder game.

Most of those places have promotions on game nights too. Bolero is a little bit higher priced...but you get lots of the tapas at half price on Thunder nights. That's an awesome deal!

Jethrol
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Pretty much but reading this thread most people are reasonable. We also happen to really care about this team and this city and we believe that more bars/restaurants should be supporting our team. If we can help influence that by giving them schedules, requesting they change the channels and choosing to spend our money at places that actually support the team....well it's all good.

What country is this?
It's America...duh. We have a right to vote with our dollars and help others that care about the team do the same. Grass roots effort at it's finest.

Nothing...what's wrong with you that you can't understand this? It's not like this is the first time someone has tried to influence other people's behavior.

Larry OKC
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
...But I remember a team or a league person (I think) saying last year that OKC fans would evenutually realize that it is an 82 rather than a 41 game season. Apparently it is fairly common during the year for (previously) non-NBA fans in new markets to only be interested in home games, and then mostly only the ones they attend. ...

It was Mayor Mick (January 2009):

“Our fan base is still really not in tune with the rest of the league and even our team on the road,” Cornett said. “I don’t get the sense that if you walked into a restaurant and our team is playing a road game, that it’s a given that they are going to be playing it on TV. The market just hasn’t matured in that respect. To them, the N.B.A. is 41 home games, and the rest will take time to develop.”

Think the Mayor is spot on with this. Even if an establishment is in tune with it's customers, could mean the game isn't on because the fans themselves aren't aware! It was only been a year since he made the statement and it will take time.

brian
02-26-2010, 08:01 PM

What country is this?

umm most places where people go to watch sports have 10-30 tvs. what is wrong with you?

decepticobra
02-26-2010, 08:30 PM
yes, okc has an NBA team, and should okc ever attain any other professional league franchises it still will never change the fact that oklahoma is by far and large a collegiate team state.

you can run to the ends of the earth, but you cant run anywhere in oklahoma without seeing some kind of OU or OSU banner being proudly displayed on a car, building, home, etc.

any tv in any sports bar in oklahoma is more likely to be tuned to a collegiate event, rather than a pro sports all due to our avid passion for the cowboys and sooners.

plmccordj
02-26-2010, 08:53 PM
It is fine to be a fan of the Sooners and Cowboys but they are not the only thing in town. I am a Sooner fan as well as an OU graduate but there is more to the world than college sports. I think it will only be a matter of time before the Thunder becomes just as much a fabric of our lives as the Sooners and Cowboys.

There are those that will watch nothing but college and there will be those that watch both but over time I am convinced that the average non rabid person will accept them as an integral part of our way of life.

dcsooner
02-27-2010, 03:14 AM
It is fine to be a fan of the Sooners and Cowboys but they are not the only thing in town. I am a Sooner fan as well as an OU graduate but there is more to the world than college sports. I think it will only be a matter of time before the Thunder becomes just as much a fabric of our lives as the Sooners and Cowboys.

There are those that will watch nothing but college and there will be those that watch both but over time I am convinced that the average non rabid person will accept them as an integral part of our way of life.

I too am an OU grad and I have shifted about 80% to the Thunder in Basketball.

kwash
02-27-2010, 04:25 AM
yes it will take time for the thunder to get a hold of the city. I hate to say this but the best thing that can happen to the thunder is OU football demise, lol. Its true if OU football can go thru another few seasons of being down and not competing for championships, then that will help the thunder. I moved here back in 96 when OU football had been down for years and years and while you still saw people wearing OU gear, it was by far way down compared to this past decade when stoops arrived and returned OU to dominance. The equation is simple, the thunder make a few runs in the playoffs and even get close to the nba finals over the next 5 yrs and hope OU football goes into another dark and down period, and the people around will quickly jump off the OU football bandwagon and jump to the thunder.

dmoor82
02-27-2010, 08:18 AM
OU Football will forever dominate the sports scene in Oklahoma!!!Win or Lose!I hate bandwagoners!every team has them!,esp. when your winning!The (SOONER) State will be always be SOONER NATION!but all that said,you can still support The Thunder,maybe your favorite sport is Basketball?I am a big supporter of The Thunder,but a bigger one of OU!my Father has season tix to OU Football,Basketball and The Thunder,OKC Thunder will get a bigger fanbase each new year that arrives,and if they keep playing as well as they have this yr,they will draw new fans even faster!BOOMER SOONER and Thunder UP!

OKCisOK4me
02-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes and there's the other 25% of us that are Pokes fans.

GO POKES AND THUNDER UP! lol

rod4soonrs
02-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Think making the playoffs and being on national TV will boost interest, and excitement for the thunder!

CCOKC
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I have noticed that the Thunder recaps on the national sports casts such as Sportscenter have moved earlier and earlier into the shows. This morning our game was the first NBA game covered. They kept calling us the Durants though even though Russell flirted with another triple double.

Celebrator
02-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Neil Everett needs to suck it up and quit being such a NW homer...enough of "the artist formerly known as Seattle" and the more recent "Kevin Durant's team". This team has commanded more respect than that. And you too, Bill Simmons, quit calling them the Zombies! Just because your beloved Celtics are getting old and slipping (they lost to the Nets tonight...THE NETS!!!) does not mean you have to call this great, young team the Zombies!

I'm tired of the coast bias....both of them...West and East! THUNDER UP!

rcjunkie
02-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Does OKC have an NBA team---Yes
Is everyone in OKC a NBA/Thunder fan--No

Theres enough bars/clubs/restaurants that have Thunder watch parties, find one and frequent that place on game nights.

Watson410
02-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Does OKC have an NBA team---Yes
Is everyone in OKC a NBA/Thunder fan--No

Theres enough bars/clubs/restaurants that have Thunder watch parties, find one and frequent that place on game nights.

You would think all bars/clubs/restaurants would like making money tho... I know I do!

Easy180
02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Interest in college b-ball has definitely waned since the Thunder came to town....It is much easier to root for star players that you will get to see develop for at least 5 years instead of playing one or two years at the college level

Definitely surprised by the play of Westbrook...Many thought he wouldn't pan out as a true PG but to say that has been squashed is an understatement...Top 5 PG already and he will only get better

Loving this season and just making the playoffs would be huge after the opening season debacle

rcjunkie
02-28-2010, 12:34 PM
You would think all bars/clubs/restaurants would like making money tho... I know I do!

Surely your not implying that only restaurants/bars/clubs that show Thunder games are making money.

jbrown84
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
They are what's holding us back. Not the conservative crowd, not the politicians, but the negative nellies that sing the "Poor me I live in Oklahoma" song. Really pathetic.

:congrats:

The first place I went to was Henry Hudsons (everytime I go there, there's no Thunder game on any television)

Not surprised in the least. Everything about that place is half-assed.

Nermel
02-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd prefer a few of the TVs on at bars be on CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg of Fox News - instead of sports.

ljbab728
02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I have noticed that the Thunder recaps on the national sports casts such as Sportscenter have moved earlier and earlier into the shows. This morning our game was the first NBA game covered. They kept calling us the Durants though even though Russell flirted with another triple double.

This recent quote from si.com shows that we are getting great national recognition no matter what coast it comes from:

"As Kevin Durant plays his way into the MVP conversation and Thunder coach Scott Brooks crafts this team into a legit defensive unit, the West playoff race has some new blood -- and sooner than expected. Talented, long and dotted with eight first-round draft picks, the Thunder promise to be a beast come spring.

With Durant already in the fold, GM Sam Presti, who is known for his sharp eye for talent, will set his sights on acquiring key support players this summer. So while the Thunder have been one of the biggest surprises this season, the playoffs are sure to run through Oklahoma City next year. Note to Western teams: Watch out."

RedDirt717
02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
OU grad here too,

I dont think the thunder will ever surpass OU football fanhood. It'd be hard to argue that the Cleveland Cavaliers, with all their success, are bigger than tOSU football.

Their different markets, however, I do see the Thunder really starting to dig into the culture here. I see Durant jerseys everywhere now, kids in thunder shirts at my church. I see the team becoming a permanant staple in the community.

Larry OKC
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
OU grad here too,

I dont think the thunder will ever surpass OU football fanhood. It'd be hard to argue that the Cleveland Cavaliers, with all their success, are bigger than tOSU football.

Their different markets, however, I do see the Thunder really starting to dig into the culture here. I see Durant jerseys everywhere now, kids in thunder shirts at my church. I see the team becoming a permanant staple in the community.

I know they set NBA records when the apparel went on sale and have seen some Thunder wear in Wal-Mart, Academy etc. I have yet to see anyone wearing it in regular everyday situations. Heck, I see more Hornets stuff around town than I have Thunder. I do own 1 Thunder item (but it was a gift) and I wear it to work out in (a hooded sweatshirt). Haven't bought any merch myself because basically it isn't attractive (horrible logo). The only part of their marketing they got right is Rumble the Bison. Come to think of it, I haven't seen anything marketing the team mascot. Hmmmm.

SkyWestOKC
03-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I am starting to see more and more of it on days that are not gamedays. Give it 5 years..., this team's fanbase in Oklahoma, not just OKC will be huge.

kevinpate
03-01-2010, 06:37 AM
... The only part of their marketing they got right is Rumble the Bison. Come to think of it, I haven't seen anything marketing the team mascot. Hmmmm.

I agree. They oughta market Rumble's image way more than they do. But then, I happen to like most things Bison so the mascot was an excellent choice to begin with. Beats all hell outta copying something from a Jimmy Dean breakfast commercial and having come up with some dumb cloud or a lightning bolt, or worse.

As for the logo, only part of the logo I do not care for is the font used for Thunder at the top of it. Rest of it is fine by me.

But yeah, BRING ON THE RUMBLE!

Watson410
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Surely your not implying that only restaurants/bars/clubs that show Thunder games are making money.

I'm not implying that at all... I'm just saying usually they would want to keep their customers at their establishment and keep them happy.. I would bet AT LEAST 75% of the bar/restaurant would rather watch a Thunder game than re-runs of the World Series of Poker...

stephy
03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm not implying that at all... I'm just saying usually they would want to keep their customers at their establishment and keep them happy.. I would bet AT LEAST 75% of the bar/restaurant would rather watch a Thunder game than re-runs of the World Series of Poker...

I'll take that bet.

nik4411
03-01-2010, 08:38 AM
amd you would lose

stephy
03-01-2010, 09:02 AM
amd you would lose

<shrug> prove it.

Every single bar, club & restaurant I was at this weekend had no Thunder game showing, no conversations about Thunder at all.

I'm fairly sure that until I read this thread this morning, I didn't see any mention of the Thunder this entire weekend. It was wonderful.

nik4411
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
so you walk around and creep on everyone's conversations?

stephy
03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Its called "socializing".

See, when I go out to an establishment that has lots of young, interesting people who enjoy adult beverages, good food and dancing, I tend to spend time "talking" or "interacting" with those people.

I rarely go out to such an establishment with the express purpose of watching a televised sporting event. I'm well aware that lots of people do this, but they frequent establishments where I'm unlikely to find a new friend or potential boyfriend.

onthestrip
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
As with some of the other comments, it will just take some time for the Thunder to really catch on for most Oklahomans, as we are only in year 2 of our franchise. Publicity and popularity will definitely grow much quicker with they type of play we are seeing, especially when the playoffs arrive.

Stephy, you seem to be going overboard on your reasonings for why no one cares. Of course most clubs and some bars arent made for watching sporting events, but more for just drinking and dancing. However, many other bars and dinning establishments do have TVs and are conducive to watching sporting events. To argue that no one wants to see the Thunder on is absurd.

Also, it is perfectly fine to socialize with people about other things than sports, but did you ever think that the OKC Thunder could be a great ice breaker and conversation topic, especially if you are looking for a boyfriend.

stephy
03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
To argue that no one wants to see the Thunder on is absurd.

I agree, that is absurd. Who is making that argument?

Larry OKC
03-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Finally ate at the Wedge Sunday night and the place was busy (especially for 8 pm on a Sun). Anyway, noticed the Thunder game was on but no one seemed to be paying it any attention. Maybe it was because they were so far ahead....

But getting back to the OU/OSU/NBA debate, look at the ranking the Oklahoman's website gives it (if not mistaken, the Oklahoman is one of the main corporate sponsors of the team and was a huge proponent of getting the Ford/NBA tax passed). Anyway, here is their priority:

1. OU
2. OSU
3. High school
4. Big 12/NCAA
5. Thunder/NBA

The Blazers used to be up there and can certainly understand their removal after the team folded (was renamed Hockey) for a while. But it is completely gone. Would think after the announcement of the AHL team lease etc that they would have reinstated it as a category by now.

dismayed
03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
So what are the best places in the metro to watch a Thunder game and socialize with other bar patrons (other than the Ford Center of course)? I'm curious what everyone's opinions are.

Kerry
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Finally ate at the Wedge Sunday night and the place was busy (especially for 8 pm on a Sun). Anyway, noticed the Thunder game was on but no one seemed to be paying it any attention. Maybe it was because they were so far ahead....

But getting back to the OU/OSU/NBA debate, look at the ranking the Oklahoman's website gives it (if not mistaken, the Oklahoman is one of the main corporate sponsors of the team and was a huge proponent of getting the Ford/NBA tax passed). Anyway, here is their priority:

1. OU
2. OSU
3. High school
4. Big 12/NCAA
5. Thunder/NBA

The Blazers used to be up there and can certainly understand their removal after the team folded (was renamed Hockey) for a while. But it is completely gone. Would think after the announcement of the AHL team lease etc that they would have reinstated it as a category by now.

I hear what you are saying Larry. Here are the 5 headlines on NEWSOK.COM right now.

1. Willie Warren to undergo season-ending surgery (OU Story)
2. How OSU can pad its resume (OSU Story)
3. OKC Thunder tops ESPN future poll (Thunder Story)
4. Jenni Carlson: Giant leaps; no bounds for OU gymnast (OU Story)
5. NFL Combine Q&A: former Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (OU Story)

...but the readers have spoken. Commment left by readers on OU/OSU Stories combined: 0. Comments left on Thunder Story: 6

Dustin
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-says-hell-sign-a-max-deal-if-thunder-offers-this-summer/article/3443827?custom_click=lead_story_title)

betts
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
So what are the best places in the metro to watch a Thunder game and socialize with other bar patrons (other than the Ford Center of course)? I'm curious what everyone's opinions are.

I like BRIX. If you get there early enough, they've got stadium type seating in front of the big screen.