View Full Version : Tulsa's new arena will be first class

Patrick
02-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Tulsa can be proud of their new arena designs. Looks like it will be a pretty attractive place.

---------------------
"Architect reveals Tulsa arena plans
by Kelly Kurt
Associated Press
2/16/2005

TULSA - Architect Cesar Pelli showed off the final schematic design of Tulsa's new downtown arena Tuesday, saying the swirling creation captures the optimism and dynamism of a city confident in its future.
The $141 million arena isn't scheduled for completion until late 2007, but the renowned architect was already brimming with excitement at the thought of opening day.

"I cannot wait until this building is open and full of people," Pelli said, joyfully clasping his hands together shortly before scale versions of the arena went on display at the Tulsa Convention Center.

Pelli unveiled his initial design in September, but the schematics show in detail how the arena bowl will accommodate basketball and hockey games, concerts and other events. The design team will now work on construction details, with groundbreaking set for July.

The arena's walls rise in protruding futuristic peaks, circling and overlapping like waves, or what Pelli called "a vortex of energy."

He said the design reflects Tulsa's confidence and progressiveness in trying to revive a downtown suffering from an economic slump.

"It (Tulsa) really wants to get going," the architect said.

With the planned entry a wall of glass, scale versions of the building will be tested in a wind tunnel to ensure construction can withstand the fiercest storms, members of the design team said.

"I have no worries," said Pelli, the architect of the world's tallest buildings, the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

In the next phase, designers will explore materials for the arena's exterior. Pelli likes the idea of zinc panels, which will give the building a soft metallic glow.

Funds for the 18,000-seat arena will come largely from a one-cent sales tax increase, approved as part of the county's Vision 2025 package. But Mayor Bill LaFortune said officials are looking to raise $20 million to $40 million in private funds to pay for enhancements.

The city has had conversations with "two or three entities" that may be interested in buying naming rights to the arena, he said. Seat and suite sales also provide funding opportunities.

Demolition of buildings has begun at the site downtown, just north of the federal courthouse.

LaFortune stressed that the arena will be a place the entire community can use, "not just a facility for those who can afford $95 tickets" to special events.

Pelli has designed performing arts centers in Charlotte, N.C., and Cincinnati and the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, but this is the first arena for the Argentine native.

Many people will come to Tulsa to see it for that reason alone, LaFortune said."

Patrick
02-16-2005, 01:32 AM
If you forgot what the pics looked like, let me refer you to this old thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/t549-tulsa-arena-blog.html

floater
02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
There are so many new stadiums and arenas nowadays, but unless you're a fan of a visiting team, you're not going to go to a place just to see its sports arena. IMO, only the retro ballparks of the 90s created that kind of singular attention. My guess is that people will still go to Tulsa primarily for its arts.

Still, congrats to Tulsa for landing a building with such a famed architect. Hope it's gorgeous and is the beginning of something great for downtown Tulsa.

Midtowner
02-16-2005, 08:52 AM
This is something that will be a centerpiece for Tulsa, and a real treasure to our state. With developments like this in this state, we can definitely look forward to a more "cosmopolitan" reputation. I'm very glad that Tulsa was able to get this done.

swake
02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
For better views of the arena models go here:

http://www.cesar-pelli.com/flash.cfm

Go to new projects and look for the box labeled Tulsa Events Center

Patrick
02-17-2005, 10:48 PM
There are so many new stadiums and arenas nowadays, but unless you're a fan of a visiting team, you're not going to go to a place just to see its sports arena. IMO, only the retro ballparks of the 90s created that kind of singular attention. My guess is that people will still go to Tulsa primarily for its arts.

Still, congrats to Tulsa for landing a building with such a famed architect. Hope it's gorgeous and is the beginning of something great for downtown Tulsa.

Tulsa is known for its arts, so its new arena definitely fits it well....it will definitely be an "artistic" treasure to the Tulsa community.