View Full Version : Movie/TV/video game ratings

Patrick
02-16-2005, 01:24 AM
If you're a parent, do you look at these ratings when making decisions for your children's best interest? If you're not a parent, would you use these ratings to guide you in deeming what was appropriate and inappropariate? Do you trust the rating system?

Patrick
02-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Here's an interesting article pertaining to video game ratings:

"Majority of games rated E for everyone

By Michael Felberbaum
Associated Press Writer

As president of Activision Publishing, Kathy Vrabeck helps promote and develop games such as "Doom 3," "Tony Hawk's Underground 2" and "Call of Duty."
But she might think twice before buying those top-sellers for her 7-year-old son. In a gaming world where violence reigns, parents are searching for family friendly titles bearing a rating of E -- for everyone.

"As a parent myself, trying to figure out what your kids want is always troublesome," Vrabeck said.

With kid-friendly movie tie-ins such as "Shrek 2," "Shark Tale" and "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events," Vrabeck and her Activision team have created several titles for children young and old.

Though most games target an older audience, companies such as Activision Inc., Electronic Arts Inc. and Nintendo Co. have alternatives that are universally accepted as family friendly. And LeapFrog Enterprises Inc. has ventured into the gaming industry with a handheld edu-tainment system, Leapster.

Steve Martin of New York City was initially hesitant about buying his daughter, Morgan, a game system. He said he wasn't sure whether there were enough games he was willing to let into his house.

"I am looking for things where we can play together, like golf and tennis, where we aren't shooting and killing people," Martin said. "There's more stuff for boys, teenagers and adults than for kids."

"Dance Dance Revolution," a game in which players dance on a large game pad to keep up with directional cues given on-screen, sealed the deal. Morgan is getting a PlayStation 2 system for her eighth birthday.

Since 1994, the Entertainment Software Rating Board, a self-regulatory body set up by the gaming industry, has rated more than 10,000 video games. Use of the ESRB seal and rating is voluntary, though virtually all games do so.

According to the ESRB, 57 percent of all games rated in 2003 were E, compared with a combined 42 percent for T and M games -- teen and mature. Few of the games use EC for early childhood or AO for adults only.

"There are definitely a lot of titles that are great for parents," said David Tokheim, senior director of marketing intelligence for GamerMetrics and IGN.com, a leader in trend-tracking for the game industry.

Nonetheless, teen and mature games are bigger sellers. Data analyzed by GamerMetrics and IGN.com show that 46 percent of all games sold in 2004 were rated E, while T and M sales accounted for 54 percent of overall sales.

Although the ESRB considers E-rated titles suitable for children ages 6 and older, the games may still contain "minimal violence, some comic mischief and/or mild language." T-rated titles are considered suitable for ages 13 and older, while M-rated games are targeted at 17 and older.

According to Tokheim's team, which analyzes consumer trends, purchase plans and Web site input, the most popular E-rated games include Sony Computer Entertainment's "Gran Turismo 4," and Electronic Arts' "Need For Speed Underground 2."

Sports titles include "NBA Live 2005." Animated character games such as Nintendo's "Mario Power Tennis" are also popular.

Nintendo characters such as Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong and the gang have been popping up on Nintendo game systems since the late 1980s and remain prominent franchises for Nintendo's GameCube, GameBoy Advance and the new Nintendo DS.

Sixty-five percent of GameCube games are E-rated, Nintendo of America spokeswoman Beth Llewelyn said.

While the majority of games target 18- to 25-year-olds, companies such as Activision are trying to educate parents about the rating system and to encourage retailers to enforce their own measures in restricting the sale of certain titles to children younger than 18, Activision's Vrabeck said.

Outside pressure on the industry is mounting. Last month, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich proposed legislation aimed at making it a misdemeanor to distribute, sell or rent violent or sexually explicit video games to children younger than 18.

Games aimed at the younger set are also smart business, Tokheim said. "Many of the most successful games ever sold on PS2, Xbox or GC are E-rated," Tokheim said."

Midtowner
02-16-2005, 07:55 AM
My parents did not care about the rating system when it came to my movie viewing.

I still don't care.

I don't have any felonies to my name... yet.

mranderson
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
When I was a kid? What rating system. Well, actually, what video games? We thought with our minds and not with a joystick.

Midtowner
02-17-2005, 07:03 AM
When I was a kid? What rating system. Well, actually, what video games? We thought with our minds and not with a joystick.

And when the horse was sick, you'd have to walk 3 miles, uphill both ways, through the snow to school. :D

I think you'll agree though that to make it in today's academic environment, kids need to become tech-savvy as early as possible. I do agree that video games are no substitute for outdoor activity though.

mranderson
02-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Most people do not think with their minds. That is my point. They have not been taught how due to technology. Plus the overweight kids (ones without medical reasons) are that way because video games have made them lazy.

Midtowner
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Most people do not think with their minds. That is my point. They have not been taught how due to technology. Plus the overweight kids (ones without medical reasons) are that way because video games have made them lazy.

I blame TV.

No...

I blame their parents for not kicking their butts out of the house.

Actually, kids are overweight today for a myriad of reasons. I think a lot of it has to do with food products that are made available to them. For example, since corn syrup became the major way that soft drinks/food were sweetened, childhood diabetes has shot up dramatically. This has not been helped by the public school system selling out to soft drink companies and things of that nature.

In the end, the parents deserve the blame for not teaching their kids good eating habits.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
02-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Hello guys,

My thoughts on the subject is this,I can control what goes on in my house.Limiting Video game times and watching what the ratings are and such.But I cannot control what happens when he goes to friends houses,I just try to instill what I want and believe in him and trust that he will use common sense.Besides my youngest is almost 12 and there isnt too much on a game that he wouldnt see in a PG-13 movie anymore,Which is a whole other subject.I do agree that they need to be limited and get the heck outside and excercise though thats why time limits are in place.Also I kind of love the fact that he is so into video games,It makes wonderful leverage for groundings,Gotta hit em'where it hurts LOL.

DD:bright_id

Jay
02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Diva,

I think this is first time I have replied to one of your posts and you bring up a good point. It sounds like to me your a good Mom. It appears that you have a strong discipline system in place.

If I were you I would just have the agreement that he is to follow your rules even when he is away with friends. After that its just a matter of trust. If he breaks that trust, serve up a premium slice of punishment.