View Full Version : 600 jobs may be coming to OKC

Pages : [1] 2

metro
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Talked to a prominent OKC businessman the other day. Said he was talking to a major out of state employer who is interested in possibly moving approx. 600jobs to OKC. Honestly that's all I know as he wouldn't share what type of business, etc. I know this person wouldn't put their neck out there if it wasn't a good probability, as they dont' go mentioning stuff like this. I don't know if this means another call center, or a corporate HQ or what. Take it for what it's worth.

lasomeday
02-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I bet it is another call center.

I think we should targer some of the companies in Oregon. They just raised taxes on the wealthy and businesses again.

Midtowner
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I bet it is another call center.

I think we should targer some of the companies in Oregon. They just raised taxes on the wealthy and businesses again.

I think California would be an even better place to poach. We could sell the fact that we're not a failed state....

metro
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I agree, we TOTALLY need to be targeting companies in Oregon. Chicago is hitting them hard to relocate. No reason OKC leaders shouldn't be courting them. I sent a letter to Mayor Cornett and OKC Chamber about it, but no response. Knowing them, they're too busy being out of touch with corporate reality in America.

lasomeday
02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Cornett is all wrapped up in tearing buildings down. He doesn't have time to attract businesses.

Midtowner
02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Cornett doesn't control city policy, nor does he pick which buildings to bulldoze. The mayor in OKC is more of a figurehead than a person of real consequence (although he does have some decent powers of appointment to committees, trusts and commissions which do exercise some real [but limited] power.

This'd be the Chamber's job, and more than likely, they're doing what they can in this arena.

Kerry
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is a link to the Oregon tax vote. It is from the NYTimes so the liberals will believe it. Oklahoma should have opened an office in Portland the day this happened. The CEO of Nike was very vocal in his opposition to the tax.

Oregon Voters Approve Tax Increase - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/us/28oregon.html)

Rover
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
I was in LA last week and heard numerous radio ads from Arizona extolling the virutes of moving businesses from Cali to Ariz. If we are going to play that game, it is competitive. I don't know what our promotional budgets are for the state, city, chamber, etc., but we need to mobilize and finance the effort to be competitive, or don't bother throwing our money away on a weak effort.

Midtowner
02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I was in LA last week and heard numerous radio ads from Arizona extolling the virutes of moving businesses from Cali to Ariz. If we are going to play that game, it is competitive. I don't know what our promotional budgets are for the state, city, chamber, etc., but we need to mobilize and finance the effort to be competitive, or don't bother throwing our money away on a weak effort.

I have faith that the Chamber will serve us well.

Kerry
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I thought the State Chamber of Commerce already had an office in LA.

Rover
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Just saying that other states are being very aggressive. I am in LA 7-10 days a month and have never seen or heard anything from Oklahoma, but I do hear ads from Arizona and Nevada regularly.

Kerry
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Here in Atlanta I hear commercials for Jacksonville, FL and Michigan. LOL, like any company is going to relocate from Atlanta to Michigan. Step one in recruiting a company: you need to have something to offer. Michigan has nothing any company in Georgia wants.

Rover
02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Michigan has a plethora of vacant manufacturing facilities, tens of thousands of highly paid (but unemployed) union workers, and high taxes to offer. Who WOULDN'T rush right up there to the cold, cold north to move their business there. :)

soonerguru
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I thought the State Chamber of Commerce already had an office in LA.

Oh no. That may actually work against us.

lol

gmwise
02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I would like to see more jobs move here.
Created here as well.
But I dont want a ton of minimum wage ones.
I think we can pass on those.

mugofbeer
02-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I would like to see more jobs move here.
Created here as well.
But I dont want a ton of minimum wage ones.
I think we can pass on those.

Tell that to the unemployed. There's rural parts of this state where people are able to live on minimum wage. Be happy if jobs come here whether they pay well or not. Besides, phone center jobs pay more than minimum wage - they aren't executive pay, but they pay most of the bills and often offer flexible hours.

ljbab728
02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Just saying that other states are being very aggressive. I am in LA 7-10 days a month and have never seen or heard anything from Oklahoma, but I do hear ads from Arizona and Nevada regularly.

Surely if you're there that often you've heard the Mathis Brother's ads. LOL

Spartan
02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Talked to a prominent OKC businessman the other day. Said he was talking to a major out of state employer who is interested in possibly moving approx. 600jobs to OKC. Honestly that's all I know as he wouldn't share what type of business, etc. I know this person wouldn't put their neck out there if it wasn't a good probability, as they dont' go mentioning stuff like this. I don't know if this means another call center, or a corporate HQ or what. Take it for what it's worth.

Why?

Bunty
02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Here is a link to the Oregon tax vote. It is from the NYTimes so the liberals will believe it. Oklahoma should have opened an office in Portland the day this happened. The CEO of Nike was very vocal in his opposition to the tax.

Oregon Voters Approve Tax Increase - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/us/28oregon.html)

Well, no doubt, really it's up to the people to choose to either be responsible and raise taxes for public services desired or else as another choice choose to cut services along with taxes. I wonder why people never vote on what services to eliminate? Raising taxes on businesses is seldom if ever a good idea.

Bunty
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Michigan has a plethora of vacant manufacturing facilities, tens of thousands of highly paid (but unemployed) union workers, and high taxes to offer. Who WOULDN'T rush right up there to the cold, cold north to move their business there. :)

They better go back decades to review why so many millions wanted to move up there in the first place.

Kerry
02-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Well, no doubt, really it's up to the people to choose to either be responsible and raise taxes for public services desired or else as another choice choose to cut services along with taxes. I wonder why people never vote on what services to eliminate? Raising taxes on businesses is seldom if ever a good idea.

Oregonians just voted to raise taxes on businesses and the 3% or Oregonians that are considered 'rich'. That is hardly a vote to tax themselves. If they were voting to tax themselves they would have taxed themselves either by creating a state sales tax or increasing the income tax across all brackets.

As for lowering taxes or cutting services, if they had lowered their taxes they could have generated more revenue in the long run. You only have to look at what is happening to see this for yourself. When Oregon raised taxes on business what did other states and cities do? They started recruiting Oregon businesses. Do you hear stories about Oregon advertising in Washington saying, 'Relocate to Oregon - we just raised taxes'? It doesn't work that way. Money seeks the path of least resistance and Oregon just doubled down on resistance. They will be out more jobs, have higher unemployment, which will lead to more spending on social programs, which will get cut anyhow because they don't have the money. They will be worse off.

Oregon might see a temporary increase in tax revenue but as businesses move out of state, cancel expansion plans in-state, and new business don't move in they will see revenue drop off.

hoya
02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
It's a balancing act. We just passed a 3/4 billion dollar sales tax here. You need to have taxes to pay for stuff you want. I'm not intimately familiar with Oregon, their tax increase, or what they intend to do with the money. What I do know is that packing up and moving requires a major investment. Businesses normally don't jump ship at the first sign of higher taxes. They move only when it becomes clear that they can be more financially successful long-term.

Also, they can't always afford to look long-term. They could be facing a severe budget crunch. Sometimes you have to make a compromise on long-term growth versus immediate need.

For all the good that MAPS has done, it hasn't made OKC into some shining citadel. We aren't the Promised Land. What MAPS has done is bring us up to the level of other cities. It gives us a fighting chance to bring in more businesses, but we shouldn't really be surprised that companies from the Pacific Northwest, where there are big forests and mountains and lots of scenic beauty, aren't tripping over themselves to move here.

metro
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
No, we passed a temporary 1 cent sales tax, the 3/4 of a billion is just an estimate on projected collections. It could be more or less depending on the economy and growth. Businesses relocating for quality of life reasons (as many move to Houston for this reason) will see the value in a MAPS style tax.

rcjunkie
02-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Cornett is all wrapped up in tearing buildings down. He doesn't have time to attract businesses.

Care to share what buildings Cornett is tearing down !!!!!!, or are you just spewing because you don't like him or his views.

Thunder
02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Okay, people is hijacking this topic.

Metro, post more details when you can, please.

Kerry
02-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Hoyasooner - in the case of Oregon - they are raising taxes to fill a budget gap. The problem is they are not curbing what created the budget gap in the first place so next year they will just have another one (See State of California budget problems). States do not have a income problem - no of them. Even the worst states are still collecting as much money as they did 3 years ago. The spending is just way out of control.

gmwise
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Tell that to the unemployed. There's rural parts of this state where people are able to live on minimum wage. Be happy if jobs come here whether they pay well or not. Besides, phone center jobs pay more than minimum wage - they aren't executive pay, but they pay most of the bills and often offer flexible hours.

Is this the type of jobs MAPS is suppose to bring?
Is this the type of jobs tax credits is suppose to attract?
I know times are difficult, but if all you are ready to settle for then thats all you get.
Jobs that pay a living wage is not a job paying the current minimum wage.

rcjunkie
02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I think everyone's jumping the gun, no one has said that these are phone center or minimum wage jobs, chill out and let's see what this is about.

OKC@heart
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I think everyone's jumping the gun, no one has said that these are phone center or minimum wage jobs, chill out and let's see what this is about.

Amen!!! Let it unfold!

progressiveboy
02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I think everyone's jumping the gun, no one has said that these are phone center or minimum wage jobs, chill out and let's see what this is about. "Agree", however it would be nice if this is a Fortune 100 or even 500 company that will be moving all or part of their operations to OKC. This is the type of jobs that OKC needs in order to have higher personal income levels and better retail stores as this creates demand and people moving from other states are going to want services and shops that they are accustomed to already. OKC has to many call centers and low paying jobs. It is time to think like a big league city.

Kerry
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I did a little investigating and it appears that RadioShack is looking to move out of Ft. Worth. They will need about 300,000 of office space that they plan to build. Could this be the office building near MidFirst that someone linked to awhile back? The timing of the RadioShack rumor and the release of proposed building at I-44 and I-235 are about the same - November of last year.

You can google 'RadioShack corporate relocation' and read several cryptic stories.

Here is the link to thread about the proposed tower at I-44 and Broadway Extension.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/19626-new-highrise-i-44-broaday-ext.html

gmwise
02-16-2010, 05:21 PM
..It is time to think like a big league city.

Yes! my point

progressiveboy
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I did a little investigating and it appears that RadioShack is looking to move out of Ft. Worth. They will need about 300,000 of office space that they plan to build. Could this be the office building near MidFirst that someone linked to awhile back? The timing of the RadioShack rumor and the release of proposed building at I-44 and I-235 are about the same - November of last year.

You can google 'RadioShack corporate relocation' and read several cryptic stories.

Here is the link to thread about the proposed tower at I-44 and Broadway Extension.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/19626-new-highrise-i-44-broaday-ext.html Rumour is that Tampa Florida has been courting Radio Shack and is on RS radar. This was in the Tampa Bay Business Journal. There were some others on the list, however OKC was not anywhere on that list. The other cities that are on the short list are Nashville, Tennessee, Charlotte, North Carolina and Albequerque, New Mexico.

Kerry
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, but the list is only available because representatives in those cities opened their mouths to local media. Radio Shack has never said they are relocating and didn't release a list of finalist. Maybe OKC has been a little more tight-lipped.

HOT ROD
02-17-2010, 12:52 AM
OKC needs to be proactive and try to lure EVERY company to the city. sometimes, all you need is just keep your ear to the ground and send an email with an invite for starters. If the reply is positive, then you could go for a visit and pitch to them what OKC has to offer. THEN, get them to visit OKC - and wow them off. Then, do what it takes to make the move/relocation/expansion happen.

kerry, not to get too personal - but I am so sick of hearing those stupid conservative crap. You really have something against government programs - yet I bet you would be the first in line if or when circumstances warrant. It's hypocritical stuff like this that makes me so sick of right wingers - you all don't care about other people or government help until it helps you. Selfish.

There's no reason why the rich of Oregon can't help fund programs in that state. Sure, Chicago and California can poach off some companies and Im sure with Chicago's huge business community they will at least get some office workers; but Chicago also pays hefty taxes and they have a pretty darn good city to boot. ...

Let me ask you right wingers this - the true fix to the national debt and all of this bull crap is getting rid of Medicare. That is the biggest government program by far and is what causes the most grief because nobody wants to fix it.

So, do you propose we get rid of Medicare? Or is it just the welfare/poor programs you are after? By the way, Medicare's budget is in the trillions; welfare/unemployment is in the billions (like 30/40 billion).

You can't have it both ways, you can't say you're a fiscal conservative when it comes to the needy but then have your hand out under programs that REALLY COST THE MOST.

Will you give up your deductions and tax breaks? Those are government subsidies. Do you want the end of the Federal budget? how would this country operate?

Again, I agree that we need to update and revise most programs - true. We could save a LOT of money by moving most government into the electronic age/21st century alone. But you can't pick and chose and it makes the most sense to go after the big fish (like Medicare and health care) since those costs are over 60% of the federal budget - way bigger than even defense. .....

I have not heard ONE conservative effectively respond to the REAL issue. Can government be run better and more cost effective? sure - you bet. But we need government because there will always be gains through scale and benefits to society - see South American countries for examples of little government societies. ...

Kerry
02-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Take it to the politics page HOTROD. I will debate every point you brought up over there. However, I will say this - if you think I would go to the federal government if I thought I needed to then you are out of your mind. Conservatism isn't a political ideology - it is a way of life. Maybe this is why the left has a hard time understanding it.

progressiveboy
02-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Yes, but the list is only available because representatives in those cities opened their mouths to local media. Radio Shack has never said they are relocating and didn't release a list of finalist. Maybe OKC has been a little more tight-lipped. Nothing wrong with being tight-lipped. As the saying goes, "Loose lips sink a ship". lol.

metro
02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes! my point

"Agree", however it would be nice if this is a Fortune 100 or even 500 company that will be moving all or part of their operations to OKC. This is the type of jobs that OKC needs in order to have higher personal income levels and better retail stores as this creates demand and people moving from other states are going to want services and shops that they are accustomed to already. OKC has to many call centers and low paying jobs. It is time to think like a big league city.

You guys are fooling yourself if we're not "progressive". OKC wouldn't have come this far and be thinking and building for the future (Devon, MAPS 3, Project 180) if we weren't progressive. You do realize MAPS 3 and Project 180 combined (this isn't even counting the more than half a billion for new I-40, new boulevard, or the near $1 Billion in new road construction underway) is the largest or one of the largest public projects ever undertaken by a U.S. City? This is completely TRANSFORMATIONAL at the highest level. Could we be more progressive, sure as any city can.

Even progressiveboy's beloved Dallas had to start somewhere, and when they were are size, I bet they were ooing and awwwing for the call centers and whatever they could take, but they didn't stop there, just like OKC isn't. I'm so sick of hearing this progressive Dallas crap blah blah blah. Most of us posters have traveled all over the world and know what every other major city is like. I'd even argue that OKC is more progressive than Dallas when Dallas was our size. When/If OKC ever gets to reach 6 million people, let's compare that OKC to the Dallas of now.:ou

Kerry
02-17-2010, 08:11 AM
On that note Metro - Oklahoma City is barely 110 years old. Considering we are one of the newest cities in the world we are doing pretty darn well. We are the 29th most populated city despite the rest of the country have 100 to 200 years (or more) headstart. Dallas was a city for 50 years before the first White person set foot on what would become OKC. Compare current day OKC to Dallas of 50 years ago.

mugofbeer
02-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Is this the type of jobs MAPS is suppose to bring?
Is this the type of jobs tax credits is suppose to attract?
I know times are difficult, but if all you are ready to settle for then thats all you get.
Jobs that pay a living wage is not a job paying the current minimum wage.

LOL - what in the **** does this have to do with MAPS? Geez, that's a reach. Yes, times are difficult so if there is a shread of reality to this you take what comes. If more follows, then all the better. It gives people choices they may not have now. Just because it is a job that you might not want to do doesn't mean the young couple across town might not be extraordinarily happy to have it.

Kerry
02-17-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't understand why people don't want call centers and customer service operations. It isn't like there is some regulatory agency out there that says you just got a call center last month - you can't have a corporate 500 company this month. There is no expansion/relocation quota. We can have the call centers AND the corporate headquarters. It is not an either/or situation.

Now, if it comes down to recruiting efforts on the part of the Chamber or the City then I could see having to be more selective in which opportunities you pursue, but I don't think that is the case.

redrunner
02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
You guys are fooling yourself if we're not "progressive". OKC wouldn't have come this far and be thinking and building for the future (Devon, MAPS 3, Project 180) if we weren't progressive. You do realize MAPS 3 and Project 180 combined (this isn't even counting the more than half a billion for new I-40, new boulevard, or the near $1 Billion in new road construction underway) is the largest or one of the largest public projects ever undertaken by a U.S. City? This is completely TRANSFORMATIONAL at the highest level. Could we be more progressive, sure as any city can.

Even progressiveboy's beloved Dallas had to start somewhere, and when they were are size, I bet they were ooing and awwwing for the call centers and whatever they could take, but they didn't stop there, just like OKC isn't. I'm so sick of hearing this progressive Dallas crap blah blah blah. Most of us posters have traveled all over the world and know what every other major city is like. I'd even argue that OKC is more progressive than Dallas when Dallas was our size. When/If OKC ever gets to reach 6 million people, let's compare that OKC to the Dallas of now.:ou

Let's not kid ourselves. Although OKC and Dallas are about 200 miles apart, they have no place being compared to each other. Try reaching the level of Austin before you go for Dallas. It's funny that people make Dallas out to be this undesirable cesspool, yet you want OKC to progress and be at the level of Dallas. It just comes off as bitter jealousy, not to mention hypocrisy. I'm sure every time you're in Dallas you're telling yourself you wish OKC had "this" or "that".

You can argue OKC is more progressive than Dallas then they were our size but wasn't that in the mid 1950s? I doubt you or most of the people on here were even born then. And we'll be long gone before OKC reaches 6 million.

progressiveboy
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Let's not kid ourselves. Although OKC and Dallas are about 200 miles apart, they have no place being compared to each other. Try reaching the level of Austin before you go for Dallas. It's funny that people make Dallas out to be this undesirable cesspool, yet you want OKC to progress and be at the level of Dallas. It just comes off as bitter jealousy, not to mention hypocrisy. I'm sure every time you're in Dallas you're telling yourself you wish OKC had "this" or "that".

You can argue OKC is more progressive than Dallas then they were our size but wasn't that in the mid 1950s? I doubt you or most of the people on here were even born then. And we'll be long gone before OKC reaches 6 million. Agree. I have seen it to many times and heard it so many times. Friends and family coming to Dallas for a weekend and just marveling at the buildings, things to do, better selection of shopping and restaurants, more sports and cultural amenities. The first thing out of their mouths are I wish OKC had this shop or I wish OKC had this restaurant, or even better I wish would could have Central Market or WF in OKC. I realize that their are more appealing places than my "beloved" Dallas (lol), my personal favorites being Miami, San Diego, San Francisco and even Atlanta, however speaking from a regional perspective OKC covets for the most part what Dallas has done for themselves and to say we do not want to be like Dallas is a bit "hypocritical" as I have witnessed it time after time with out of town visitors and family.

gmwise
02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Call centers have a huge turn over, and like AOL shows they dont stick around.
Dell cuts staff, as did At&t, Sprint, Williams-Sonoma, the Hartford, even Farmers did so.
As for minimum wage jobs, its not even with 2 a living income.
I dare anyone to live on a minimum wage x2.
Cut back on expenses and go those 3 mos(90 days is what most employers place new hires on probationary) like that.
I doubt you will agree afterwards its a living wage.

ultimatesooner
02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
the hartford never cut jobs in okc

Kerry
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
GMWise - we understand that you don't like call centers and I don't think you should work at one. I wouldn't want to work at one either, but for some reason, when I call customer service at a company I buy products from someone answers the phone. People are taking these jobs.

Are you supposed to retire after working 30 years at a call center? No you are not. People aren't supposed to live on minimum wage, or even 2X minimum wage. These are entry level jobs where people learn to report to work on time, perform basic functions, develope communications skills, learn to work with other people, and in general - be responsible. Once they learn these things they go on to other jobs. Now some of us already knew these things and were able to skip the entry-level phase. It doesn't mean these jobs aren't valuable to someone.

Pay is only a part of the compensation in entry level jobs. Knowledge is the other part. In entry level jobs you get paid to learn and grow. After you grow then you can get paid for what you know.

Kerry
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Deleted.

dmoor82
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
GEEZ,WTH happened here????

Kerry
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
GEEZ,WTH happened here????

No kidding.

mugofbeer
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Deleted.

Steve
02-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok kids, get along or I'll force both of you to order Sanka at Coffee Slingers and face the consequences.

kevinpate
02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
and sit in uncomfortable chairs too. Steve is like that.

Martin
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
alright then... let's cool off and get back to topic shall we? -M

fromdust
02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
i wonder if this could be the same job that news 4 was talking about? some tissue company is setting up shop in part of the old lucent building.

Grant
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the news, metro...can't wait to find out what it is (assuming someone really is bringing jobs here)

I'll take any new jobs. The way I look at it, I may not be working a job, but somebody will be glad to have it. I don't think some Fortune 500 company looking to relocate its headquarters to Oklahoma City will notice we got a new call center and think "uh oh...OKC has 7 call centers now instead of 6...let's move to Charlotte instead."

I wonder if there is any truth to the RadioShack rumor. Though I'd prefer if they moved into the CBD, I sure as heck won't complain if they were to build at I-44/Broadway. Hope something pans out with whoever it is that may move here.

Kerry
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I wonder if there is any truth to the RadioShack rumor. Though I'd prefer if they moved into the CBD, I sure as heck won't complain if they were to build at I-44/Broadway. Hope something pans out with whoever it is that may move here.

Fact 1: Radio Shack is moving.

Fact 2: Small Architecture Group designed a building at I-44/Broadway Extension.

Fact 3: Building rendering and Radio Shack relocation stories leaked out about the same time.

Fact 4: The building is about the same size Radio Shack said they wanted to build.

Fact 5: There is no fact 5. The word 'rumor' might be a little strong. I prefer 'unsubstantiated wild and reckless speculation'.

smooth
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the news, metro...can't wait to find out what it is (assuming someone really is bringing jobs here)

I'll take any new jobs. The way I look at it, I may not be working a job, but somebody will be glad to have it. I don't think some Fortune 500 company looking to relocate its headquarters to Oklahoma City will notice we got a new call center and think "uh oh...OKC has 7 call centers now instead of 6...let's move to Charlotte instead."

Are you saying Radio Shack is moving their corporate headquarters out of Ft. Worst?

Matt
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok kids, get along or I'll force both of you to order Sanka at Coffee Slingers and face the consequences.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1638/lold.gif

Kerry
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Are you saying Radio Shack is moving their corporate headquarters out of Ft. Worst?

Yes they are. They sold their headquarters campus in downtown Ft. Worth to a community college and then leased it back. Their lease expires in 2011, although, they do have an option to stay until 2013. They have to be out by the end of 2013 at the latest.

rag451
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
The RadioShack complex in Downtown Fort Worth is spectacular, inside and out. If they move to Oklahoma City, it will be Fort Worth's loss. With luck, the local chambers and civic-minded groups will snag a few corporate and regional headquarters.

As someone who lives in Fort Worth and goes over toward Dallas now and then, I don't think Oklahoma is missing out on much. What I like about Oklahoma is the size of the highway medians. The sigh I let every time I cross the Red River is more satisfying than loosening my belt after a big, filling meal. In North Texas, there are red light cameras going up on every corner and hundreds of glowing highway signs flashing increasingly goofy catch-phrases for safety. Ironically, every time those $100,000 signs are lit, traffic on the highway comes to a crawl as distracted motorists put down their cell phones like raccoons drawn to tin foil!

As long as Oklahoma has a Wal-Mart, you've got it made! Who needs a store devoted to fifty different kinds of lawn furniture, or a coffee shop where they play Reggae music? Now that there are several Jack in the Box stores going in around OKC, what else can you want that Dallas has?

:ou

Robert