View Full Version : Gizmodo covers flaming lips home remodel.

circuitboard
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
The Flaming Lips' Crib Is Even More Psychedelic Than Their Music
Wayne Coyne, frontman of the acclaimed rock band The Flaming Lips, recently renovated his Oklahoma compound, and the new space gives the group's music a run for its money in terms of psychedelic flair, playful construction, and sheer imagination.

The last we saw of Coyne, he was, naturally, sitting in a bathtub on Google Street View. If you thought that was the weirdest place he bathes, wait until you see his bathroom. Its Gaudiesque drip-castle design—Coyne refers to it as the "drug damaged, artist element of [his] home"—is certainly one of the highlights of his new pad, realized by FitzSimmons Architects.

Read whole story at The Flaming Lips' Crib Is Even More Psychedelic Than Their Music - flaminglips - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5471139/the-flaming-lips-crib-is-even-more-psychedelic-than-their-music)

kevinpate
02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
interesting.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
That bathroom is something else. It looks like a combination between an igloo and the inside of a marshmallow.

The website says that his "compound" on 1726 NW 13th street. Is that true? Sure enough, you can see him in that bathtub:

1726 NW 13th street oklahoma city - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=1726%20NW%2013th%20street%20oklahoma%20city&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

If this is true, how does such a complex interior design fit in what looks like it should be a small space? Curb views can be deceiving...

bluedogok
02-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I heard that he bought several of the adjacent lots in order to create his "compound".

Spartan
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Awesome.

PennyQuilts
02-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Yuck.

soonerguru
02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Yuck.

Well there's a surprise.

Spartan
02-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Yuck.

Tell me about it. They need to hire whatever stay-at-home mom decorated this kitchen:

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/080519d.jpg

PennyQuilts, was that you?

Midtowner
02-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Spartan, your decorating talents are unrivaled.

That is a superb kitchen.

Do tell -- when you're back home for break, is it hard to hire you on? And if not, do you provide your own fake flowers or do you want me to just pick a random assortment up at Hobby Lobby?

metro
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I heard that he bought several of the adjacent lots in order to create his "compound".

Yes, that's pretty much public knowledge. I believe there are 5 properties that were purchased. If really bored, you can pull them up on the county assessor's website.

kevinpate
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
There's a nice sketch of the compound - image 4 under the link in the first post.
At least I presume that's what is shown via the sketch.

PennyQuilts
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Well there's a surprise.

Are you going to comment on everyone's opinions or am I just special? I just don't like it. It doesn't look like anything I'd want to actually live in. It looks like the sort of thing someone puts up when they have lots of money and want people to stare at it.

Honestly, this is an opinion/taste thing. Why comment on my opinion? There is no right or wrong about such things. I think it looks really, really stupid and uncomfortable. If someone else likes it, fine. That is the sort of thing that makes the world go round.

soonerguru
02-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Are you going to comment on everyone's opinions or am I just special? I just don't like it. It doesn't look like anything I'd want to actually live in. It looks like the sort of thing someone puts up when they have lots of money and want people to stare at it.

Honestly, this is an opinion/taste thing. Why comment on my opinion? There is no right or wrong about such things. I think it looks really, really stupid and uncomfortable. If someone else likes it, fine. That is the sort of thing that makes the world go round.

Do you hate Gaudi's architecture?

I find the space fits the aesthetics of the Flaming Lips amazingly well. I also believe that Brian Fitzimmons is incredibly talented.

You have expressed a particular disdain for things that are perceived as hip and you have also expressed that you would prefer for OKC to remain as it is today, so, no, I wasn't entirely surprised by your response.

circuitboard
02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't really think the property is that bizarre. It is really modern. That may not be that common in Oklahoma, but in Cali, Washington, and Florida, you will find many homes this modern or “bizarre”. Anyway, it is a unique piece of property for OKC, and if get's national attention that is awesome for the city!

proud2Bsooner
02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Tell me about it. They need to hire whatever stay-at-home mom decorated this kitchen:

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/080519d.jpg

PennyQuilts, was that you?

This statement wreaks of immaturity.

CaseyCornett
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
soonerGuru - Gaudi is awesome! Seems like the whole city of Barcelona was built on Gaudi's designs...

I love Coyne's house too; it is set right dab in the middle of a neighborhood that has seen better days but with Coyne's energy and the Plaza District practically next door the area is starting to thrive again.

MadMonk
02-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Very trippy, much like the man who lives there.

proud2Bsooner
02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I would call it a "2001: A Space Odyssey" meets "The Hobbit".

MadMonk
02-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Throw in a little "A Clockwork Orange" and you've got it. :kicking:

PennyQuilts
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Do you hate Gaudi's architecture?

I find the space fits the aesthetics of the Flaming Lips amazingly well. I also believe that Brian Fitzimmons is incredibly talented.

You have expressed a particular disdain for things that are perceived as hip and you have also expressed that you would prefer for OKC to remain as it is today, so, no, I wasn't entirely surprised by your response.

Wow. You sure are getting into this, aren't you? I just don't like it. I didn't go all highbrow (or lowbrow) about it. What is with the psychoanalyzing??? It's just a weird bunch of rooms and if you were honest, you'd admit plenty of people, good, bad, or whatever would think that was pretty yuck. So what? Do you just have to go personal? Anyone who decorated like that is inviting comment. Read the comments on the website - it isn't just me, buddy. I don't care if you like it or he likes it or anyone else likes it. That is their sack of rocks. Why you care whether I like it is what is puzzling. Or at least care enough to make a snarky comment.

kevinpate
02-15-2010, 08:37 PM

:congrats::congrats::yourock::congrats::congrats: