View Full Version : 30 Wins and a 6 game win streak heading into the All Star break

Jethrol
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
WOW!! I can't believe the turn around this season. The Thunder are kicking some major butt and looking better than ever. Let's hope they keep it together because they're legitimate playoff contenders right now.
:yourock:

Soonerus
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
The AMAZING Thunder....

betts
02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
They're fun to watch. Not enough people are watching, however. Our television data is pretty embarrassing. People not bothering to watch are missing some incredible nights that we'll remember forever. Kevin Durant's 35 will be retired and his jersey hanging from the rafters in the future. He's setting records for our franchise that may stick in the NBA record books for a long time.

krisb
02-10-2010, 01:20 AM
I'd watch more games if they weren't on cable.

circled9
02-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Looking back on their first game at the Ford Center, it is amazing. Lets just hope that they can keep up the pace the rest of the season. Sam Presti and Scott Brooks have done a great job......and so have the players who remain from that horrible first night although most have found work elsewhere.

HOT ROD
02-10-2010, 04:21 AM
I think the TV ratings will pick up as the team continues to win and makes the playoffs.

Betts, I also think the media really needs to step up and become a big league market media. You hardly know anything is happening in Oklahoma City or you find out a day or two later. This has to change if OKC is to hang with the big boys when it comes to stats.

OKC will now have 4 professional teams: Thunder NBA, Redhawks (89ers) AAA baseball, Oilers AHL, AFL; in addition to OU and OsU, and OCU among other university and highschool sports in the metro. That sets up a pretty darn strong sports scene that no person could argue against. But if the media does nothing to let people know about the games or how the teams stand - then OKC will continue to be thought of as a third tier minor league city with "nothing to do".

If you want to shed that 'image', we need to get the media to buzz about OKC's sports and entertainment options - no matter what or who or how many attend an event; there should be significant media coverage before during and after events.

And yes, the Thunder should do a few 'free tv' games - but on that note, isnt KSBI free? but a game or two on one of the majors particularly during the down season would do wonders for 'common people' to see the team.

TaoMaas
02-10-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm just happy that the Thunder are finally starting to finish teams off. It was SO frustrating to see them play well for entire games, only to end up losing by one or two points. Ugh!! On a side note...does anyone know why Etan Thomas isn't playing? We thought he was doing pretty well early in the season, but he's not getting any minutes at all now.

so1rfan
02-10-2010, 07:18 AM
I watch every game (although I can't stay up for the second half of werst coast games.)

Well, I will flip back and forth if they are playing the same time that Lost is on.

The thing I like the most is we are picking off those teams we could not beat. New Orleans, Denver, Portland, etc. Dallas, Cleveland, Lakers, need to be next on the chopping block. We just can't seem to find a way to stop Nowitski.

earlywinegareth
02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Like so1rfan, I too watch every game...except the 2nd half of west coast contests. This morning, I was anxious to find out the outcome of last night's game since it was tied up at the half. Another good outing for the Thunder! Great defense! I love this team's competitiveness, and I can't say enough good about the coaching staff. Scotty Brooks & staff have made this team believe in themselves.

jstaylor62
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I watch every game! This team is just fun as hell watch play! They play hard, they play together and watching their intensity on defense is amazing! I can't believe that ESPN/TNT have not dumped some of their schedule and picked up some Thunder games.

theparkman81
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I am excited for our team, if they keep this up, I will predict them to win close to 50 games or more, but that's just my opinion.

Jethrol
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm just happy that the Thunder are finally starting to finish teams off. It was SO frustrating to see them play well for entire games, only to end up losing by one or two points.
Yep totally agree.

Last nights game against the Portland Trail Blazers was a testament to this. Thunder started out strong and held the lead until the 1/2 when the TBs tied it. In the 3rd TBs took the lead but then it was like we said, "Uh...no" and just turned on the gas and won it by a nice margin.

Last season we would have blown a 10 point lead and lost the game by 20. This year is so much more fun to watch....I'm loving it!!

metro
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I think the TV ratings will pick up as the team continues to win and makes the playoffs.

Betts, I also think the media really needs to step up and become a big league market media. You hardly know anything is happening in Oklahoma City or you find out a day or two later. This has to change if OKC is to hang with the big boys when it comes to stats.

OKC will now have 4 professional teams: Thunder NBA, Redhawks (89ers) AAA baseball, Oilers AHL, AFL; in addition to OU and OsU, and OCU among other university and highschool sports in the metro. That sets up a pretty darn strong sports scene that no person could argue against. But if the media does nothing to let people know about the games or how the teams stand - then OKC will continue to be thought of as a third tier minor league city with "nothing to do".

If you want to shed that 'image', we need to get the media to buzz about OKC's sports and entertainment options - no matter what or who or how many attend an event; there should be significant media coverage before during and after events.

And yes, the Thunder should do a few 'free tv' games - but on that note, isnt KSBI free? but a game or two on one of the majors particularly during the down season would do wonders for 'common people' to see the team.

Agree about media promotions. Whoever is in charge of marketing for the Thunder ought to be fired. It's Busch league marketing. There is little media campaigns and efforts to really get the City behind this team, even if that means just watching on TV. It is flat out embarrassing and definitely minor league marketing. Yes KSBI is free, but no one watches it. It needs to be on regular FOX or something. That would probably be easier to set up considering the rest of the games are on FOX Sports Oklahoma, same company affiliation.

jstaylor62
02-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Agree about media promotions. Whoever is in charge of marketing for the Thunder ought to be fired. It's Busch league marketing. There is little media campaigns and efforts to really get the City behind this team, even if that means just watching on TV. It is flat out embarrassing and definitely minor league marketing. Yes KSBI is free, but no one watches it. It needs to be on regular FOX or something. That would probably be easier to set up considering the rest of the games are on FOX Sports Oklahoma, same company affiliation.

So metro, since you have criticized the Thunder marketing scheme in two different threads, please feel free to provide your specific suggestions on how they can improve.

metro
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
two words: MEDIA BLITZ - they need to bombard the airwaves, commercials about how awesome they are doing this season aka Playoff Potential, etc. They have a VERY SMALL amount if any of TV commercials on the major networks. More FULL PAGE spreads in the Oklahoman, for crying out loud, Bennett and his extended family own the paper.

Jethrol
02-21-2010, 09:29 AM
two words: MEDIA BLITZ - they need to bombard the airwaves, commercials about how awesome they are doing this season aka Playoff Potential, etc. They have a VERY SMALL amount if any of TV commercials on the major networks. More FULL PAGE spreads in the Oklahoman, for crying out loud, Bennett and his extended family own the paper.
Yeah it's kind of sad that it feels like you have to sometimes dig for Thunder information. I mean this is our team not some Dallas/KC team that we're following.

I think once they make the playoffs, we'll see a lot more of the blitz.