View Full Version : Why won't joggers use the sidewalks?

fuzzytoad
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
The last 2 weeks, while driving in Edmond in the early AM[4:30 - 5:30], I've noticed an increase in the number of early-morning joggers.. I've got absolutely no problem with people who want to run/jog/exercise at that ungodly hour, but I *must* know this..

Why do they refuse to use the sidewalks? I almost ran someone over yesterday due to the inability to see this moron running down Fretz Ave. at 4:55 AM. This section of road is a little bit curvy and VERY dark.. It is also lined with almost-new 3foot wide sidewalks.

This jackass was jogging, without reflective gear, along the road in limited-visibility weather, in very dark conditions..

This isn't a limited incident...

WTF is wrong with these people? Why do we even bother spending money on sidewalks when these darwin award candidates won't use the sidewalks?

PennyQuilts
02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I have no idea why they do that at that time of the day when the sidewalks are clear. At least wear reflective clothing.

Kerry
02-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Funny you mention this - I have noticed an increase in the number of joggers using the bike lanes in the streets near our home. A perfectly good sidwalk is just a step away but they don't use it. I have been trying impress upon my kids how dangerous it is to walk in a busy street so I have started changing the words of songs playing on the radio when we see this. The kids love it because I make up lyrics like "the jogger got creamed by a car, when the sidewalk wasn't that far".

Soonerus
02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Speaking for joggers, sidewalks are not an alternative, road running is the only option and we have as much right to the road as anybody....Mostly the people who try to hit/get close to us are fat asses, smokers, handicapped, etc...

Bunty
02-09-2010, 11:06 PM
lol, Why isn't it an alternative? Is the concrete used in sidewalks typically too hard to run on?

redrunner
02-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Speaking for joggers, sidewalks are not an alternative, road running is the only option and we have as much right to the road as anybody....Mostly the people who try to hit/get close to us are fat asses, smokers, handicapped, etc...

I don't believe runners has as much right to the road as anybody. The Oklahoma Dept. of Public Safety says pedestrians (this is where runners fall under) have the right of way at crosswalks whether they are marked or not. The shoulder of the street is not a crosswalk. Roads are meant for motor vehicles. Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers do on the streets.

Sidewalks are meant for pedestrians and they cost money to build so why not use them? Just because your knees and joints hurt when running on concrete does not give you the right to run in the streets without any accountability. I cannot believe the nerve of this runner who was running at dusk with no reflective gear on the side of far north Pennsylvania. There's no shoulder on this narrow two lane road. I barely saw him until he was about 30 feet away. There are also many morning joggers in North Edmond on the narrow roads like Coffee Creek and Sorghum Mill.

I'm a casual runner myself and I choose not to put my life at risk or any driver on the road. There are plenty of parks with asphalt paved trails to do my running in a safe responsible manner.

Thunder
02-10-2010, 03:09 AM

What a moron. Are you one of the joggers hogging down the streets expecting to be paid when you're hit?

Midtowner
02-10-2010, 06:27 AM

What does being handicapped or smoking have to do with anything?

Hollywood
02-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Edmond City Ordinance; 10.56.070: Pedestrians walking along roadways. (http://library5.municode.com/default-test/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setHitDoc&doc_hit=26)

rcjunkie
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Law mandates that they use sidewalks if available. I'm neither a fat ass, smoker nor handicap, I drive a large SUV hope you don't meet my bumper.

kevinpate
02-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Rumor has it y'all ought not be trying to scare joggers off the roadway.

On a roadway, they're worth 3 points ... 4 if they stick for a block.
On the sidewalk, not near that much.

Or so I'm told.

Joe Daddy
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
LOL! You guys are brutal. I never understood joggers on busy roads either, and I've pounded many miles of pavement over the years. Bicyclists make me wonder too, especially on busy streets during rush hours. There's plenty of safer places to run and cycle in the OKC metro without having to compete with motor vehicles.

rcjunkie
02-10-2010, 08:19 PM
LOL! You guys are brutal. I never understood joggers on busy roads either, and I've pounded many miles of pavement over the years. Bicyclists make me wonder too, especially on busy streets during rush hours. There's plenty of safer places to run and cycle in the OKC metro without having to compete with motor vehicles.

Bicyclists are a different story, they have the same rights as a motor vehicle when it comes to the use of streets, however, they are required to obey the same traffic laws as vehicles but seldom do.

MadMonk
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Rumor has it y'all ought not be trying to scare joggers off the roadway.

On a roadway, they're worth 3 points ... 4 if they stick for a block.
On the sidewalk, not near that much.

Or so I'm told.
That's unfair. If one makes the effort to jump the curb and go off-road, there should be more of a reward; though the looks on their faces as they scramble for safety are priceless. :dizzy:

kevinpate
02-11-2010, 07:44 AM
That's unfair. If one makes the effort to jump the curb and go off-road, there should be more of a reward; though the looks on their faces as they scramble for safety are priceless. :dizzy:

But the curb jumpers never bother to replace their divets .... hence the penalty on points.
:tiphat:

ronronnie1
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM

I Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve this post. :yourock:

MadMonk
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
But the curb jumpers never bother to replace their divets .... hence the penalty on points.
:tiphat:
Touche'. I shall endeavour to do so in the future.

bradzilla
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM

as an outdoor runner myself.....

quit being an idiot, the drivers dont drive on the sidewalk and you shouldnt run in the road when an alternative such as a sidewalk or bike trail is available. if i was you i wouldnt be so quick to label the drivers and make fun of the handicapped, when you do something foolish as running in the road you are literally seconds away from becoming one yourself. ( im not saying that in a playful or joking matter).

count your blessings that you havent been killed or seriously injured and respect yourself and others.

MadMonk
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
as an outdoor runner myself.....

quit being an idiot, the drivers dont drive on the sidewalk and you shouldnt run in the road when an alternative such as a sidewalk or bike trail is available. if i was you i wouldnt be so quick to label the drivers and make fun of the handicapped, when you do something foolish as running in the road you are literally seconds away from becoming one yourself. ( im not saying that in a playful or joking matter).

count your blessings that you havent been killed or seriously injured and respect yourself and others.
Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve this post. :yourock:

Joe Daddy
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Bicyclists are a different story, they have the same rights as a motor vehicle when it comes to the use of streets, however, they are required to obey the same traffic laws as vehicles but seldom do.

That's the thing; same rights as cars, however common sense must come into play. Some roads are just not safe for cyclists. The law means nothing when you're dead or seriously injured.

joanssmith@hotmail.com
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
lol, Why isn't it an alternative? Is the concrete used in sidewalks typically too hard to run on?

it is virtually impossible to run on sidewalks in neighborhood editions due to the unlevel nature of the sidwalks and sloped driveways. however, if someone is jogging on a major street (not in a neighborhood), there is no need to deviate from the sidewalk as the street is generally as flat a surface as the street, and much safer of course.

DaveSkater
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
My tax dollars have been put to work to create MILES of jogging trails for both bikes and joggers. I also have the indoor option at my YMCA to jog inside on a rubberized theraputic track.

You joggers and bikers that insist that you have as much right to the roadway as a TAGGED, and TAXED to DEATH vehicle (road tax, licenses, gas tax, excise tax, tag, did I forget any?) simply amaze me.

Don't forget to use your blinker! I hope a dear old granny name Thelma runs over you and doesn't even realize it.

Casey
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't like running on roads as I've had far too many close calls with drivers not paying attention.

A bit off topic....

from doing a bit of Googling, it looks like there's a pretty extensive series of trails in OKC. Are they nice?

earlywinegareth
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I like the OK River trail b/c no automobile traffic. Some of the others cross thru neighborhoods or go along major streets, esp Grand Blvd. Hefner trail is scenic but tends to be crowded.

metro
04-02-2010, 01:02 PM
No kidding, you know what the worst is? The homeless who meander the inner city insist on using the streets when there are sidewalks.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2010, 01:52 PM
No kidding, you know what the worst is? The homeless who meander the inner city insist on using the streets when there are sidewalks.

A lot of them are actually mentally ill. The joggers who jog in the road just act like they are.

kevinpate
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
A lot of them are actually mentally ill. The joggers who jog in the road just act like they are.

You're just being nice. Their acting skills aren't nearly that well honed.
:sofa:

Hammondjam
04-04-2010, 06:11 AM
What does being handicapped or smoking have to do with anything?

Smokers, the obese and the handicapped are the antithesis to the self image of some of these healthy runner types. Healthy types that are as addicted to the "runners high" (endorphins) as the smokers are to the nicotine. Constant pounding on the concrete or asphalt will eventually take it's toll on the knee joints so the healthy aspects of the cardiovascular workout has it's down side. We won't even talk about the effects of a 50 mph car impacting said runner if the driver either doesn't see them or doesn't care.

This is a similiar argument to the Lance Armstrong wanna-be's that take up whole lanes of major streets with their 4 lb. bikes. It's dangerous enough to be in a car, in Norman, at certain times of the day. It's insane to play in traffic with just your running shoes, maybe a bike and a big attitude.

PennyQuilts
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Reminds me of when my son was a teen and his newly licensed classmate pulled his car out into an intersection without checking first. He got hit (damage to the car, not to the people, thankfully). "Did he look before he entered the intersection?" I asked. My son stuck out his lip and insisted that since his friend "had the right of way," he shouldn't HAVE to look (and didn't). He wasn't going to budge on that until I mentioned that if HE wasn't going to look both ways before entering an intersection, even if he had the right away, I had no intention of turning him loose in the car.

This is why arguing with teens is frequently a waste of time but it CAN give you an insight into just how brain damaged they are.

gmwise
04-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I think alot of the motorists "forget" they SHARED the roadway.
Everyone needs to act responsibly.
Joggers,bicyclists,motorcyclists need to wear safety helmets, clothing appropriate and reflective ones at that.
I seen alot of idiots, (texting motorists) the elderly, the inexperienced, and the impatient cause alot of accidents and NONE come close to what a drunk driver causes.

ExtremistPullup
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I almost hit a jogger one morning going to work

she was running east on 150th about to turn up Penn (where the construction is)

We were turning the corner at the same time.

DON'T Run on major roads that don't have sidewalks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunty
06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Good luck finding a long stretch of sidewalks in Oklahoma City.