View Full Version : OKC lands American Hockey League team

Pete
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Great news!

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-lands-american-hockey-league-team/article/3438183?custom_click=lead_story_title)

circuitboard
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
This is great news. Here is some great press about it...

DALLAS, Texas -- Last July, after the Seattle Supersonics announced they were moving the team to Oklahoma, the NBA crowned Oklahoma City “The Next Big Thing.”

In a city with over 1,300,000 residents in the Oklahoma City metro area and a state of the art 20,000 seat arena, The Ford Center, built by the City of Oklahoma at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, you can understand why the city is marketing and recruiting to upgrade their tenants.

Having said that, here is why an AHL team will be in Oklahoma City next season, Economics. No, not just because of the current economy, but because it makes good, all around business sense to put an AHL team there.

Prohockeynews.com The Best Place for Minor Hockey News (http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/publish/business/Oklahoma_City_ready_for_the_AHL.shtml)

MGE1977
02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
To address the "name that team" contest as proposed by the posted article:

How about the "Failing Fire Apparatus" since that is from where the money used to court the franchise was stolen.

Yay, busch league hockey!

betts
02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Good news for the city and hockey fans.

OKC@heart
02-09-2010, 02:19 PM
This will be yet another opportunity for Oklahoma City to gain positive exposure on the national stage. It was also interesting that in the reasons for selecting OKC, Will Rogers International Airport was cited. That is a good thing for other business interests to hear, who may be looking at more economical and centrally located places to relocate to. Yup, the welcome mat has been rolled out for the rest of the country, Oklahoma City is open for business and it is up and coming! Exciting times!

MikeOKC
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
That ProHockeyNews article is from December of 2008 because there was talk of an AHL team.

OKCMallen
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
The Oklahoma Ice Storm.

(Secretly, I always wanted unified mascots and colors: red, black and gold, like the Blazers. The Redhawks fit into that closely.)

OKC@heart
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
The Oklahoma Ice Storm.

(Secretly, I always wanted unified mascots and colors: red, black and gold, like the Blazers. The Redhawks fit into that closely.)

We could take out the Ice part and then it rolls off the tongue a little better! The Oklahoma City Storm!...and then add both the OKC NBA and the AHL together and you get the OKC Thunderstorm! I am just sayin'...Seems appropriate and immediately identifyable!

Wambo36
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
We could take out the Ice part and then it rolls off the tongue a little better! The Oklahoma City Storm!...and then add both the OKC NBA and the AHL together and you get the OKC Thunderstorm! I am just sayin'...Seems appropriate and immediately identifyable!

If they're not going to keep Blazers, this is the best alternative I've heard. Imaginative.

mugofbeer
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Very good! One small step at a time!

phinzup
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Yawn.....

Mikemarsh51
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Blazers!

smooth
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Blazers!

Yep. The ONLY choice!:congrats:

dmoor82
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I was just on Oilers.NHL.com and they have a nice article on OKC and a very good skyline pic of OKC too!

Larry OKC
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Interesting development, but where does that leave the arena improvements?

Oklahoma City Council wants new hockey team (Journal Record 12/16/09)

The proposed agreement includes a five-year lease with three-year renewals, and commits the city to about $4.5 million in improvements to the Cox Convention Center. But city council’s approval requires that Prodigal confirm an NHL team no later than Dec. 31
This announcement comes some 40 days past that deadline. Seems to let the City off the hook for the cost??

smooth
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Interesting development, but where does that leave the arena improvements?

Oklahoma City Council wants new hockey team (Journal Record 12/16/09)

This announcement comes some 40 days past that deadline. Seems to let the City off the hook for the cost??

Why would it? The lease agreement only set the deadline. It did not REQUIRE the announcement. It was only an escape clause. Both parties knew negotiations were not yet complete.

Either way,team or no team, the CITY agreed to pay for the improvements.

rcjunkie
02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
To address the "name that team" contest as proposed by the posted article:

How about the "Failing Fire Apparatus" since that is from where the money used to court the franchise was stolen.

Yay, busch league hockey!

How sad !!!!!!

sgt. pepper
02-11-2010, 05:35 AM
ok.... what does The Edmonton Roadrunners and the Springfield Falcons have anything to do with each other, and which team are we getting?

betts
02-11-2010, 07:01 AM
We're getting the Roadrunners, a currently dormant team. They're both Edmonton Oilers franchises. Perhaps someone else knows a little more about this.

OKCMallen
02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Yawn.....

Thanks for adding to the discussion. :congrats:

jmlight
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
We're getting the Roadrunners, a currently dormant team. They're both Edmonton Oilers franchises. Perhaps someone else knows a little more about this.

I believe, and I could be totally wrong, that Springfield just has an affiliation with Edmonton, which ends this season. Meaning Edmonton sends them players and calls players up from them. OKC is likely to have those players, even though Springfield may or may not maintain a team in the years to come. If they do they'll just have to get their players elsewhere or through another NHL affiliation.

I think OKC is getting the Road Runners franchise, which is, as you said, currently not operating.

smooth
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I believe, and I could be totally wrong, that Springfield just has an affiliation with Edmonton, which ends this season. Meaning Edmonton sends them players and calls players up from them. OKC is likely to have those players, even though Springfield may or may not maintain a team in the years to come. If they do they'll just have to get their players elsewhere or through another NHL affiliation.

I think OKC is getting the Road Runners franchise, which is, as you said, currently not operating.

Springfield, at least at this time, is not folding. Edmondton is not renewing the affiliation agreement. So, if the players come from Springfield it is just luck. Some have contracts with Edmondton which will probably bring them here, but not all.

jmlight
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Springfield, at least at this time, is not folding. Edmondton is not renewing the affiliation agreement. So, if the players come from Springfield it is just luck. Some have contracts with Edmondton which will probably bring them here, but not all.

Thanks. I meant to say that I believed not all of Springfield's players were under contract to Edmonton, but those who were would be sent to OKC next year.

I'm hoping for a nice mix of contracted players and free agents, but I don't know exactly how it all works. Just glad to have hockey back.

BigD Misey
02-12-2010, 07:12 AM
There goes my COX intermodal/retail center idea! (snap!)

BrettL
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Just bought my season tix. Can't wait till October.

OkcMetal
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Oklahoma City fans will pay more per ticket, than most AHL arenas. And 2.00 per ticket will be going to the renovations of the Myriad. Aren't we as Oklahoma City residents already being taxed for this?

john60
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
And 2.00 per ticket will be going to the renovations of the Myriad. Aren't we as Oklahoma City residents already being taxed for this?

The only taxes that paid for the Myriad renovations were part of MAPS I, and those were only for convention spaces I believe. Those expired long ago. There's a current tax for the Ford Center, but not the Myriad/Cox. Either way, all taxes involved are sales taxes. They don't have any direct relation on being an Oklahoma City resident--not a property or income tax.

Cox's new scoreboard looks very good, on a related note.
PRODIGAL HOCKEY (http://www.prodigalhockey.com/index.cfm?fa=tickets)

Larry OKC
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Not to worry, they are "only" spending some $4M for the arena upgrades and the replacement Convention Center is still 10 years away. Drop in the bucket compared to the $60M in upgrades made to the Myriad/Cox with MAPS.

Larry OKC
02-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Oklahoma City fans will pay more per ticket, than most AHL arenas. And 2.00 per ticket will be going to the renovations of the Myriad. Aren’t we as Oklahoma City residents already being taxed for this?

It depends on which pile of money you view the improvements as coming from. Reportedly, the original source of funds is from the MAPS for Kids Use Tax (that tax ended over a year ago). This is not to be confused with the actual MAPS for Kids tax which was to be exclusively for the schools. “Use taxes are charged instead of sales taxes to businesses that buy items outside of Oklahoma City for use within the city.” (if the other state doesn’t impose a tax). The accompanying Use Tax can be used for whatever purpose the Council decides. Originally that money was earmarked for public safety. The Council recently decided to take that earmarked money (changing their intent, just as they did under MAPS with the Bass Pro deal). They are in essence loaning themselves the money thru the operator of the Cox (SMG) to be paid back at least partially through the $2 ticket charge. Presumming sell-outs with a seating capacity of 13,399 x $2 = $26,798/game x 40 reg season games = $1.072M/year. (20 dates are reserved in April and May for any potential playoff games which would contribute). Best case scenario isn’t all that bad in number of years to pay back the loan. Unless you are depending on that $4M and the public safety equipment it would have purchased.

andy157
02-13-2010, 04:03 AM
It depends on which pile of money you view the improvements as coming from. Reportedly, the original source of funds is from the MAPS for Kids Use Tax (that tax ended over a year ago). This is not to be confused with the actual MAPS for Kids tax which was to be exclusively for the schools. “Use taxes are charged instead of sales taxes to businesses that buy items outside of Oklahoma City for use within the city.” (if the other state doesn’t impose a tax). The accompanying Use Tax can be used for whatever purpose the Council decides. Originally that money was earmarked for public safety. The Council recently decided to take that earmarked money (changing their intent, just as they did under MAPS with the Bass Pro deal). They are in essence loaning themselves the money thru the operator of the Cox (SMG) to be paid back at least partially through the $2 ticket charge. Presumming sell-outs with a seating capacity of 13,399 x $2 = $26,798/game x 40 reg season games = $1.072M/year. (20 dates are reserved in April and May for any potential playoff games which would contribute). Best case scenario isn’t all that bad in number of years to pay back the loan. Unless you are depending on that $4M and the public safety equipment it would have purchased.The 3/4 cent Public Safety Sales Tax was/is earmarked and dedicated by an ordinance that was approved by a vote of the people. The ordinance contains a number of "listed projects" that are mandated, rig replacement is one of those projects. So why is it the F.D. has so much trouble replacing/repairing it's Fire apparatus?

Larry OKC
02-13-2010, 05:01 AM
The 3/4 cent Public Safety Sales Tax was/is earmarked and dedicated by an ordinance that was approved by a vote of the people. The ordinance contains a number of "listed projects" that are mandated, rig replacement is one of those projects. So why is it the F.D. has so much trouble replacing/repairing it's Fire apparatus?

Sorry Andy, you lost me on that one. What does the 3/4 cent tax have to do with the funds earmarked form the MAPS for Kids Use Tax?

rcjunkie
02-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Oklahoma City fans will pay more per ticket, than most AHL arenas. And 2.00 per ticket will be going to the renovations of the Myriad. Aren't we as Oklahoma City residents already being taxed for this?

NO

andy157
02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Sorry Andy, you lost me on that one. What does the 3/4 cent tax have to do with the funds earmarked form the MAPS for Kids Use Tax?Sorry if my post, and it's intent were unclear. You ask, what does the PSST have to do with the funds earmarked from the M4K Use Tax? My answer, technically, absolutly nothing.

My point is why? Why do we have to worry about M4K funds being re-directed? Why do we have to be concerned about when, or how, or even if, it is paid back because we need it for P.S.

We should not be depending primarily on the M4K Use Tax to fund Fire Trucks.

We have a PSST that is supposed to provide the primary funding source for that purpose. In fact, in my opinion, as a "listed project" it is bound by a mandate to do so.

Again, and it's only my opinion, (and this is not an accusation of any wrongdoing) but if the intended priorities of the PSST were adhered to properly, the PSST is capable of providing a higher level of funding on a continuing annual basis.

CAN the M4K Use Tax be used to buy Fire Trucks? Yes absolutly. It CAN be used and spent however the Council choses to do so. However, to be used to buy Fire Trucks it should be a secondary source to suppliment the PSST on occasion. That way should a hockey team pop up, causing the Council to redirect the M4K funds, the P.S. needs don't come to screeching halt.

smooth
02-13-2010, 07:18 AM

No. The $2.00 per ticket, if actually charged, would be a SURCHARGE, not a tax. A surcharge is not a tax. It is an extra charge to offset special expenses.

megax11
02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NHL the "pros?"

Why would we want AHL, instead of NHL, or somewhere in my never paying that much attention, did NHL become AHL?

If the NHL is still around, I think we'd rather have one of those, right?

betts
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
We would probably want the NHL over the AHL, simply because it's a higher level of hockey. The problem that I see with NHL at this point in time is that its schedule overlaps with that of the NBA, it would have to be at the Ford Center and ticket prices are about as high as NBA games. So, we're on the smallish side to support 2 major league franchises that play at essentially the same time of the year. There's no NHL team that is definitely looking to move at this point in time either, although there are some shaky franchises.

smooth
02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NHL the "pros?"

Why would we want AHL, instead of NHL, or somewhere in my never paying that much attention, did NHL become AHL?

If the NHL is still around, I think we'd rather have one of those, right?

Any league that pays the players to perform is "pro," regardless of level.

Another note. Why do you people think of Oklahoma City as small? Granted. there are larger metro areas, however, Oklahoma City is NOT small. The demographic area for the Thunder is about five million people. That is the entire state of Oklahoma plus some areas in all surrounding states.

Can we support both leagues? Yes. However, we would be better off with the NBA and NFL as well as AHL and AFL.

Larry OKC
02-14-2010, 01:52 AM
An interview with the Mayor from a couple of months ago

An Interview with Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett - The Copper & Blue (http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/12/18/1207657/an-interview-with-oklahoma-city)

HOT ROD
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM

As Larry said, there's no worry - this project idea (if realized) wouldn't take place until AFTER the new Convention Center is built AND a new arena is constructed.

There is a plan for a new CC in 10 years - we know that (MAPS III) but there isn't yet a plan for a new arena (only talk/ideas).

OKC is hell bent on having two downtown arenas; and I agree it is a good idea. But I think having the second arena as big as the Myriad's is no longer a viable proposition (mainly because, being the 2nd arena getting smaller events, there will be too many empty seats and you aren't really going to waste money to reconfigure the building either since it is old).

Therein lies the idea, build a smaller 'intimate' arena (say seating 8,000 with a row of luxury suites on top) at the Fred Jones location (or another direction from Ford Center) and dispose of the myriad arena portion of the Cox. I think the new intimate arena would cost $30M or less depending upon the architecture and amenities but the opportunities of the Cox minus arena are staggering and could pay for the new arena and Cox conversion into an intermodal.

The other good thing about this idea is it 1) saves public investment in facilities and 2) it saves 'original' architecture that already has a grand entrance. We've spend dollars upgrading the north face of the Cox, we'd keep this and use as the lobby and use the meeting roooms/ballrooms as ticket counters/offices and restaurants/retail/shoppes. We could also expand the building on the sides to add even more retail as storefronts - further enhancing the viability of the project. We'd also keep a portion of the building that has become an OKC icon while getting rid of the monstrocity portion that is the arena (with it's bare exterior).

We'd open up the reclaimed area to development - which might pay for everything if done correctly and also add to central downtown.

Again, this Cox Intermodal idea is years off because two things would need to happen 1st; 1) already approved Convention Center needs to be complete AND 2) a new intimate arena near Ford would need to at least be u/c. :gossip:

No worries.

Larry OKC
02-14-2010, 08:19 PM
No. The $2.00 per ticket, if actually charged, would be a SURCHARGE, not a tax. A surcharge is not a tax. It is an extra charge to offset special expenses.

LOL....a rose by any other name (appropriate on Valentines Day)..or if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....call it a surcharge, user fee, charge or tax it is all the same...

surcharge: n. 1. an additional charge, tax, or cost.

Lord Helmet
02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I suppose this is good for the city and all...but I just can't get excited about minor league sports anymore. I may take in a game when I'm back in town though...just to see how it compares to the NHL.

metro
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
As Larry said, there's no worry - this project idea (if realized) wouldn't take place until AFTER the new Convention Center is built AND a new arena is constructed.

There is a plan for a new CC in 10 years - we know that (MAPS III) but there isn't yet a plan for a new arena (only talk/ideas).

OKC is hell bent on having two downtown arenas; and I agree it is a good idea. But I think having the second arena as big as the Myriad's is no longer a viable proposition (mainly because, being the 2nd arena getting smaller events, there will be too many empty seats and you aren't really going to waste money to reconfigure the building either since it is old).

Therein lies the idea, build a smaller 'intimate' arena (say seating 8,000 with a row of luxury suites on top) at the Fred Jones location (or another direction from Ford Center) and dispose of the myriad arena portion of the Cox. I think the new intimate arena would cost $30M or less depending upon the architecture and amenities but the opportunities of the Cox minus arena are staggering and could pay for the new arena and Cox conversion into an intermodal.

The other good thing about this idea is it 1) saves public investment in facilities and 2) it saves 'original' architecture that already has a grand entrance. We've spend dollars upgrading the north face of the Cox, we'd keep this and use as the lobby and use the meeting roooms/ballrooms as ticket counters/offices and restaurants/retail/shoppes. We could also expand the building on the sides to add even more retail as storefronts - further enhancing the viability of the project. We'd also keep a portion of the building that has become an OKC icon while getting rid of the monstrocity portion that is the arena (with it's bare exterior).

We'd open up the reclaimed area to development - which might pay for everything if done correctly and also add to central downtown.

Again, this Cox Intermodal idea is years off because two things would need to happen 1st; 1) already approved Convention Center needs to be complete AND 2) a new intimate arena near Ford would need to at least be u/c. :gossip:

No worries.

HOT ROD, no offense, but where are you getting this idea that the City of OKC is "hell bent" on having 2 arenas? Are they selling you up in Seattle something different than here in OKC? I pretty much hang in the downtown inner circle, and I've heard nothing about being insistent on having 2 DT arenas longterm. Yes, we currently try to leverage and exploit the fact that we have two arenas next door for Big 12, etc. But there has been no serious discussion for 2 longterm DT arenas.

Also, the Fred Jones dealership area is already in the master plans for C2S area for a multi-use development and a small pocket park that connects Myriad Gardens to Central Park.

BrettL
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I suppose this is good for the city and all...but I just can't get excited about minor league sports anymore. I may take in a game when I'm back in town though...just to see how it compares to the NHL.

It's very close to NHL quality. It makes the CHL and Blazers look like a high school team.

Lord Helmet
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
It's very close to NHL quality. It makes the CHL and Blazers look like a high school team.

Yes I know...I also know that close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades ;)

OkcMetal
02-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Oklahoma City will pay for $3.2 million in improvements to the Cox Convention Center for ice hockey through a tax related to MAPS for Kids.

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/for-ice-hockey-city-to-upgrade-convention-site/article/3440114#ixzz0fpKt2URL)

Larry OKC
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Oklahoma City will pay for $3.2 million in improvements to the Cox Convention Center for ice hockey through a tax related to MAPS for Kids.

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/for-ice-hockey-city-to-upgrade-convention-site/article/3440114#ixzz0fpKt2URL)

Earlier article had it at $4.5M (wonder what got dropped?)

hoya
02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I know zero about hockey. But I do suspect that the guys running the city have cooled on the NHL for right now. The NBA is a bigger target, a better league, and has more viewers. I think it's not a bad idea to prove we can support the Thunder for a decade or so before we go looking to get another major league team. While I'd love to have the Big 4, we need to develop a strong, consistent fan base for our NBA team before we start looking for another new toy.

Ten years from now, if things are still going well with the NBA, and residents have proven that they love pro sports and will buy tickets, I think we can start looking to get a team from another big league. And I do think that will happen (after all, there's never any talk of the Utah Jazz leaving, and they're in a smaller state than we are). I think the people of OKC are going to be very supportive of the NBA. But I'm conservative by nature, and I don't like unneccessary gambles.

Minor leagues? I think we can do a great job of supporting minor league teams as well as the NBA. We obviously have a lot of hockey fans, as our support for the Blazers was strong year in and year out (my understanding is that the Blazers went out of business for a reason other than lack of fans). Continued support at the next level will make us a prime destination for NHL relocation 10 years or so down the road.

smooth
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I know zero about hockey. But I do suspect that the guys running the city have cooled on the NHL for right now. The NBA is a bigger target, a better league, and has more viewers. I think it's not a bad idea to prove we can support the Thunder for a decade or so before we go looking to get another major league team. While I'd love to have the Big 4, we need to develop a strong, consistent fan base for our NBA team before we start looking for another new toy.

Ten years from now, if things are still going well with the NBA, and residents have proven that they love pro sports and will buy tickets, I think we can start looking to get a team from another big league. And I do think that will happen (after all, there's never any talk of the Utah Jazz leaving, and they're in a smaller state than we are). I think the people of OKC are going to be very supportive of the NBA. But I'm conservative by nature, and I don't like unneccessary gambles.

Minor leagues? I think we can do a great job of supporting minor league teams as well as the NBA. We obviously have a lot of hockey fans, as our support for the Blazers was strong year in and year out (my understanding is that the Blazers went out of business for a reason other than lack of fans). Continued support at the next level will make us a prime destination for NHL relocation 10 years or so down the road.

The people have ALREADY proven they love "pro" sports. We have supported the 89'ers and RedHawks, the Yarddawgz, Blazers, and Thunder. ALL are "pro." Just diffrent levels.