View Full Version : 164th and North May Construction

okc_bel_air
02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know what they are building on the Southeast corner? Looks like a fast food place with drive thru windows. I also heard they were building an OnCue on the corner also. Does anyone know?

okc_bel_air
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Should have done this first. County Assessor shows it owned by Onyx. They are building a McDonalds.

redrunner
02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Did you notice the corner lot is owned by Walgreen Co? This intersection is going to be very busy.

stlokc
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow...a McDonalds, a gas station and a Walgreen's! What a fantastic array of throw-away retail. I bet you have to go at least 2 miles to find any of those things. Seriously, is there even one intersection in the "new" NW OKC that is not overserved by such establishments? Is there any thought given to zoning at all? Sorry for the rant... in a bad mood, I guess.

okc_bel_air
02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I couldn't find anything about Walgrens on the assesssor site. Did I overlook something?

oneforone
02-08-2010, 11:44 PM
That intersection is surrounded by housing additions. What else is supposed to into that area trendy night clubs, clothing boutiques and sushi bars?

For every person complaining about fast food, gas stations and chain drug stores there will be a 100 people behind them handing over their money knocking the Nimby complainer out of the way landing them in the next county.

McDonalds and OnCue have done fairly nice buildings with nice landscaping recently so they deserve a little credit. On the other hand if Starbucks or was moving in I bet you would be planning a party.

stlokc
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
OneforOne, you completely misunderstand my post. I am not suggesting that any of the things you mention be placed there. I'm not an idiot. It's the suburbs. I understand that. It's not about forcing it to be upscale. It's about a theory of development that says there should be retail on every corner. In OKC there seems to be more vacancy than is necessary, and if commercial development were zoned, say, to Memorial Road and Edmond Road, for example, there may be a drug store for every 2000 residents rather than for every 1000 residents, and would that be such a bad thing? I don't fault the landowners for selling their land, but it does look tacky. A Starbucks on every corner would also look tacky.

OKCisOK4me
02-09-2010, 09:25 AM
That intersection is surrounded by housing additions. What else is supposed to (I'm guessing the word 'go' goes here) into that area trendy night clubs, clothing boutiques and sushi bars?

For every person complaining about fast food, gas stations and chain drug stores there will be a (huh?) 100 people behind them handing over their money knocking the Nimby complainer out of the way landing them in the next county.

McDonalds and OnCue have done fairly nice buildings with nice landscaping recently so they deserve a little credit. On the other hand if Starbucks or (did you have a bad case of the Monday's brain fart here? Starbucks or (fill in the blank)) was moving in I bet you would be planning a party.

Sorry, just really hard to read your sentence and make sense out of it...

JohnDenver
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Sorry, just really hard to read your sentence and make sense out of it...

You are trying to disregard what he means by picking apart his grammar -- so it would appear he doesn't have a worthwhile opinion. I don't agree with what he typed, but I can understand it fully. If you can't understand his intent, you are a moran, not him.

To answer him, yes, a sushi bar would be nice. A coffee shop would be nice. A wine bar. A cafe. A farmers market stand. A toy store. A Something that those households would enjoy *walking* to and mixing among the other patrons. What we don't need is the same block that up a mile up the street. They have a simcity mentality, just cut and paste the same block over and over and over... Sure it works, but it doesn't add a ton of real value to the city. It adds a ton to their bottom line though.

redrunner
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
McDonald's opened up today. Very nice inside.

FritterGirl
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
McDonald's opened up today. Very nice inside.

Yeah. Just what this state needs, another McDonald's.

oneforone
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM

While your at it I have some spilled milk you can cry over.....

http://listentochevonne.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ist2_157024-spilled-milk.jpg

Spartan
04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
It's supposed to be an upscale prototype McD's.

mugofbeer
04-14-2010, 05:42 PM
It's supposed to be an upscale prototype McD's.

Ooooo! I bet it's got the flat screens you can watch while you eat your fries! When is it we have enough fast food restaurants?

redrunner
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
It is quite upscale. Think IKEA meets McDonalds. The finishes and design elements are certainly premium. The only thing that's typical like other McDonald's is the food.

mikesimpsons82
04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Guess you should have bought the land and done something else with it huh? People bitching all the time cracks me up.

hipsterdoofus
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
The silly thing to me is that there is a McDonalds 3 miles away at 164th/15th and Santa Fe.

redrunner
04-14-2010, 09:17 PM
There's one closer at the 14000 block of N. Penn. Would have liked to see a Chick-Fil-A go there but McDonald's will suffice. I wonder when Walgreens is going to start construction next door.

OKCisOK4me
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
"If you can't understand his intent, you are a moran, not him."

A 'moran'. That's great, lol.. Completely forgot I posted on this thread but thanks for the top laugh of my day. Love it... Moran.. Hahahaha

ljbab728
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
. They have a simcity mentality, just cut and paste the same block over and over and over... Sure it works, but it doesn't add a ton of real value to the city. It adds a ton to their bottom line though.

Who is they? Are you talking about the developers? What else would you expect if that is the case. They are in the business of making money. If they are meeting business zoning requirements you can't regulate whether a a McDonalds or a sushi bar is built. If they can maximize their profits with more upscale businesses I'm sure they will do that. While there may be a few instances of major intersections without business development that will always be rare. Who wants to own a house abutted to a major intersection?

rcjunkie
04-15-2010, 03:43 AM
There's one closer at the 14000 block of N. Penn. Would have liked to see a Chick-Fil-A go there but McDonald's will suffice. I wonder when Walgreen's is going to start construction next door.

If theres a Walgreen's at this intersection, it's just a matter time before they start construction of a CVS on the nearest vacant lot.

stlokc
04-15-2010, 05:47 AM
JibJab- I hear what you are saying. I really do. But by 4-laning every road in sight, they have turned every intersection into a major intersection. If it had been planned differently, you could have had neighborhood collector roads that could have remained 2-lanes and commercial development targeted to specific places. Until recently, 150th and Western was a neighborhood sort of intersection that wasn't pockmarked with sprawlish development. I hate to keep going back to St. Louis, but it's what I know. In the west county suburbs, you have commercial strips every 3 miles or so, and in between are 2 land neighborhood roads that only carry the traffic of the neighborhoods along them. The commercial strips are dense and viable with a ton of intersting uses because they draw from a slightly wider area and there is very little vacancy. And the neighborhood streets are asthetically pleasing with homes and maybe churches. What happens when everything becomes a major intersection is that there just isn't enough development to spread around and you get cookie cutter fast food or lots that stay vacant for 5 or 10 years. In my personal opinion, it's just not that pleasing. But it does make money for somebody I suppose.

OKCTalker
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributing to the density will be a widening of the Kilpatrick Turnpike from 4 to 6 lanes between Portland/LHP east to either Broadway or I-35 (forgot which highway was the eastern extent of the widening).

This will bring all of the "charm" of Penn & JKT over to May Avenue.

onthestrip
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why they think they have to widen the turnpike to 6 lanes. A. There is very little traffic on it to begin with and B. The service road and turnarounds is what needs the attention. There is way more traffic snarls on memorial than the turnpike.

hipsterdoofus
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributing to the density will be a widening of the Kilpatrick Turnpike from 4 to 6 lanes between Portland/LHP east to either Broadway or I-35 (forgot which highway was the eastern extent of the widening).

This will bring all of the "charm" of Penn & JKT over to May Avenue.

Had not heard about this...sounds like the turnpike authority has lots of money to throw around?

mugofbeer
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
That intersection is surrounded by housing additions. What else is supposed to into that area trendy night clubs, clothing boutiques and sushi bars?

For every person complaining about fast food, gas stations and chain drug stores there will be a 100 people behind them handing over their money knocking the Nimby complainer out of the way landing them in the next county.

McDonalds and OnCue have done fairly nice buildings with nice landscaping recently so they deserve a little credit. On the other hand if Starbucks or was moving in I bet you would be planning a party.

How about just more housing? What is there in the psyche of OKC that requires there be garbage retail on every friggin corner? Go to any other major city and you will find many, many, many major intersections that are nothing more than the backs of housing additions. One thing this city needs is LESS retail space since half of it is empty already. Gee, it might even give some possibility to private individuals who might want to open a small business and not be constantly squeezed out by the national chains. It seems to work pretty well NE and NW.

fromdust
04-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why they think they have to widen the turnpike to 6 lanes. A. There is very little traffic on it to begin with and B. The service road and turnarounds is what needs the attention. There is way more traffic snarls on memorial than the turnpike.

Had not heard about this...sounds like the turnpike authority has lots of money to throw around?

he is being facetious!

onthestrip
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
he is being facetious!

Maybe he is but it is true about widening the turnpike. It was announced that they will be widening it to 3 lanes each way from Portland to Broadway.

FritterGirl
04-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Actually, there is a sushi bar going in at 178th and Western. Talk about waaayyy in the burbs.

I don't really has much of a problem with the gas stores and chain drug stores.Walgreens' own development marketing plan is to have a location within 5 minutes of every household in the metro. As ubiquitous as they are, they are also a necessity for many people.

My snide comment about fast food is that there is really no benefit to it. Period. It wasn't a NIMBY statement so much as it was a statement about my distaste for fast food chains to begin with, and what they have done to this country, and to other countries, in terms of overall health and obesity.

McDonalds and OnCue have done fairly nice buildings with nice landscaping recently so they deserve a little credit. On the other hand if Starbucks or was moving in I bet you would be planning a party. I do agree that they have tried to put together a much sleeker aesthetic design-wise. Still, it's a McD, and there are two others within about 5 minutes' drive of the one just built.

Pete
04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
This will be the 36th (!) McDonald's in the metro area and the 11th (!) within a five mile radius.

The latter fact is pretty amazing given that most of the area around this location is not dense at all.

MikeOKC
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM
This will be the 36th (!) McDonald's in the metro area and the 11th (!) within a five mile radius.

The latter fact is pretty amazing given that most of the area around this location is not dense at all.

Pete, We discussed just the other day in another thread how for McDonald's it's mostly about the land. What seems like way out and country today will be like NW Expressway was 40 years ago. McDonald's, when push comes to shove, is truly in the real estate business.

ljbab728
04-15-2010, 11:21 PM

I'm surprised an urban turnpike wasn't built with at least 6 lanes to start with. It's smart to not wait until a road has traffic snarls to plan for the future when construction cost will be much higher.

MikeOKC
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised an urban turnpike wasn't built with at least 6 lanes to start with. It's smart to not wait until a road has traffic snarls to plan for the future when construction cost will be much higher.

Absolutely. Talk to Austin about planning for the future (or not, as it were).