View Full Version : SW OKC grocery store

PennyQuilts
02-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I'll put this in the food thread but not sure that's best. Is there a decent grocery store in far SW OKC (like near the airport?). I've been going to Mustang but haven't been super happy with their selections. I wondered if I'm overlooking a gem. Thanks.

smooth
02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
There are no grocery stores, but if you want a supermarket, then probably Homeland for now unless you want to save money and hit Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. SW 104 and Western or SW 59 near Pennsylvania.

Crest will open later this year near SW 104 and May.

oneforone
02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
If you do not mind the drive, there is a Crest at 12th and Eastern in Moore. There is also GFF at 119th and Santa Fe.

My parents frequent GFF for their BBQ stand.

PennyQuilts
02-07-2010, 07:55 AM
There are no grocery stores, but if you want a supermarket, then probably Homeland for now unless you want to save money and hit Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. SW 104 and Western or SW 59 near Pennsylvania.

Crest will open later this year near SW 104 and May.

Oh, that is a Crest going in on 104th and May? Thanks. Are those Wal Marts better than the Mustang one? I am not slamming the Mustang Wal Mart but they are often out of things I want.

jstaylor62
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Oh, that is a Crest going in on 104th and May? Thanks. Are those Wal Marts better than the Mustang one? I am not slamming the Mustang Wal Mart but they are often out of things I want.

There is a Super Walmart in Tri-City. I think they have a better selection than either the Super Walmart on I-240 & Santa Fe or SW 19th in Moore.

oneforone
02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
There is a Super Walmart in Tri-City. I think they have a better selection than either the Super Walmart on I-240 & Santa Fe or SW 19th in Moore.

The only problem is they charge more then the other Wal-Marts because the nearest competition is 15-20 minutes away.

I have family and friends that live in Bridge Creek and Blanchard. They drive to Oklahoma City and Chickasha for groceries just to avoid paying the higher prices at the Tri-City Wal-Mart.

Few people realize that Wal-Mart only has the lowest prices when they have competition nearby. When no competition present they charge the same as every other store.

The good news is that the honeymoon is almost over for the Tri-City Walmart. As soon as Crest opens they will be forced to lower their prices or lose business to the new Crest store. Unlike most South Okc stores Crest will be open 24/7 365.

Thunder
02-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Go to Crest. It's cheaper than Walmart and every other grocery stores. However, you'll need to keep close watch on the monitor for jacked up prices. Crest has better quality meat than Walmart.

kevinpate
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Go to Crest. It's cheaper than Walmart and every other grocery stores. However, you'll need to keep close watch on the monitor for jacked up prices. Crest has better quality meat than Walmart.

Thunder's too nice to say it, but be sure and tip the sackers too.
:tiphat:

PennyQuilts
02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Thunder's too nice to say it, but be sure and tip the sackers too.
:tiphat:

They have sackers????!!

MsDarkstar
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Amazing isn't it? They have sackers that not only sack, they will actually take the stuff out to your car....unlike Homeland where they will sack your groceries then walk off.

jstaylor62
02-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I am a Crest customer now. I have gotten tired of getting "Walmarted". Walmart will carry something, you will count on finding it there, then all of a sudden they drop the product. This has happened to me on countless grocery items. I complained to Walmart via their web site and they called me. I talk to them for an hour about how they failed at the basic level at being a grocery store and serving customer's needs.

For example: they started carrying a very nice Bratwurst Bun. I love Bratwurst, but hate eating them on the dry little hotdog buns. First off, the buns were not easy to find the first time since they were on the very bottom shelf under the hotdog buns. If I was the manager, I would have had them near the Bratwurst so people can see them easier. So I started picking these new buns up for various grilling events. Then all of a sudden, they are no longer there. It was not like it was winter and grilling season was over or anything. Just poof! You have been Walmarted.

gmwise
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
JSTAYLOR,
I experience that.
Later I saw a program that producers and manufacturers pay a "slot fee" based on aisle, location on the aisle, below, at or above eye level.
Unless they are big sellers, it can go into auction of the slots/aisle and so forth.

stick47
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree and it looks like Sara Lee is the big "slot/Payola" winner in the Walmart bread aisle. I'll buy anything but Sara Lee b/c of the way they slam Walmart shelves.

mugofbeer
02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
JSTAYLOR,
I experience that.
Later I saw a program that producers and manufacturers pay a "slot fee" based on aisle, location on the aisle, below, at or above eye level.
Unless they are big sellers, it can go into auction of the slots/aisle and so forth.

I think to some extent that is standard operating procedure for most all grocers - except the super brands who turn the tables on the grocers and demand the space "if you want to sell our product."

gmwise
02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I think to some extent that is standard operating procedure for most all grocers - except the super brands who turn the tables on the grocers and demand the space "if you want to sell our product."

Because walmart was mention I talked about it
yup I think I said this.

Thunder
02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Sackers don't usually bring out to the cars at the big Crest stores, unless the customers ask for it. The small Crest is the only one that Sackers take out groceries unless the customers stop us from doing it. Suit themselves! I get annoyed when customers tell me to put it in their cart rather than in the Sacker's cart, because I'd like to keep walking.