View Full Version : Pre Emergent and fertilizer advice needed from Green Thumbs

Jon27
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a Bermuda grass lawn. I never seem to put pre emergent down at the right time. I usually buy the Scotts Halts crabgrass control. I did not put this down in the fall. I've read that it needs to be put down in early spring and late fall. All gardening websites just say "timing is everything." I like to put down anything that needs to be watered in before it rains if at all possible to avoid having to water the lawn.

Would it be too early to put down pre emergent this weekend? It is going to rain on Monday, but I don't know if this is too early. If it is, when would be the best time? What about for the second application in the fall?

My next question is, what is the best fertilizer to use? Does everyone just use a general fertilizer like Scott's? What about the standard 10-20-10? I know what the analysis is for fertilizer. It seems like Bermuda would need both a good nitrogen and phosphorus content for green and roots.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

drumsncode
02-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I'd hunt down the Scotts website and sign up for email updates. I did that years ago and it helps remind me what to do and when to do it. I too, never seem to get the pre-emergent thing correct.

Midtowner
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I've always heard bad things about Scott's.

I recommend you trot on down to Horn Seed Co. on NW Expressway and Classen.

rcjunkie
02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I recommend that you have your soil tested before applying fertilizer, a soil test will tell you exactly what fertilizer blend to apply and when. Go to the Oklahoma County Extension Office web site, you can find out how to do a soil test as well as hundreds of other turf management practices. www.oces.okstate.edu

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I've always heard bad things about Scott's.

I recommend you trot on down to Horn Seed Co. on NW Expressway and Classen.

I recommend that you have your soil tested before applying fertilizer, a soil test will tell you exactly what fertilizer blend to apply and when. Go to the Oklahoma County Extension Office web site, you can find out how to do a soil test as well as hundreds of other turf management practices. Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service — Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (http://www.oces.okstate.edu)

Both of these posts X2

Scotts is crap. Stop buying it.

There are local places that will sell you fertilizer that's formulated for OK soil.

Jon27
02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone! Great advice. What about the pre emergent question? I'm concerned about when to put it down. Could I this weekend, or should I wait until march?

skyrick
02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone! Great advice. What about the pre emergent question? I'm concerned about when to put it down. Could I this weekend, or should I wait until march?

Put it on before weeds germinate, afterwards you're just wasting product. Look up your County Ag Extension website, or go to an independent garden center with a Certified Master Gardener on staff and ask him. Down here in TX we just ask Neil Sperry.

Jon27
02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Put it on before weeds germinate, afterwards you're just wasting product. Look up your County Ag Extension website, or go to an independent garden center with a Certified Master Gardener on staff and ask him. Down here in TX we just ask Neil Sperry.

Thanks Rick! I didn't even think to check for a website for the county extension. Found this:

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1136/HLA-6408web.pdf

Since this is from OSU, hopefully Pistol Pete gives better advice for lawns than football! Sorry, couldn't resist!

rcjunkie
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Rick! I didn't even think to check for a website for the county extension. Found this:

Since this is from OSU, hopefully Pistol Pete gives better advice for lawns than football! Sorry, couldn't resist!

Probably not, they have one of the best horticulture schools in the country, but they play on fake grass. Sorry, I couldn't resist either!

PennyQuilts
02-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Excellent link - thanks so much. That helps us, too. Great questions and responses.

TaoMaas
02-07-2010, 09:34 AM

LOL Regardless of OSU's football prowess, a friend of mine took a soil sample to the OSU extension office...followed their advice...and ended up with the most beautiful lawn I've ever seen (when combined with a lot of hard work). These days, we call him "Lawn Boy". lol