View Full Version : OKC's MAPS example......

metro
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Couldn't figure a good name for the thread title when stumbling across this article about Colorado Springs. This just goes to show how programs like MAPS has kept this City both alive and growing. Also, I'm wondering if the Chamber can take advantage of luring these Colorado Springs museums to OKC during this down time, sounds like many of them may just close their doors. I was just there about 3 months ago, beautiful city and I hate to see it suffer, but this is OKC's time to shine while everyone else is choosing not to reinvest in their city's.

Colorado Springs cuts into services considered basic by many - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14303473)

OKCTalker
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Metro - I think you're mixing the fruits. Our MAPS (1, 2 and 3) were sales tax increases to fund special projects, separate from OKC's revenue sources to fund general operations. COS in in trouble because voters rejected a November ballot issue which would have tripled property taxes that would have restored $27.6 million to $212 million annual budget. Reason given: Voters didn't trust city government. OKC voters distrusted city government prior to Ron Norick's era.

I like your idea on luring COS museums to OKC, but doubt that it will happen, or that they'd be feathers in our cap. But it's a principal recognized by Chicago mayor Richard Daley, who last week said, "We'll be out in Oregon enticing corporations to relocate to Chicago." Oregonians had just voted to raise taxes on businesses and high-earnings citizens.

soonerguru
02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Metro - I think you're mixing the fruits. Our MAPS (1, 2 and 3) were sales tax increases to fund special projects, separate from OKC's revenue sources to fund general operations. COS in in trouble because voters rejected a November ballot issue which would have tripled property taxes that would have restored $27.6 million to $212 million annual budget. Reason given: Voters didn't trust city government. OKC voters distrusted city government prior to Ron Norick's era.

I like your idea on luring COS museums to OKC, but doubt that it will happen, or that they'd be feathers in our cap. But it's a principal recognized by Chicago mayor Richard Daley, who last week said, "We'll be out in Oregon enticing corporations to relocate to Chicago." Oregonians had just voted to raise taxes on businesses and high-earnings citizens.

I disagree mildly. Many folks in Colorado Springs are anti-tax and anti-government to the extreme. I think that was Metro's point. We are not and we will reap the benefits in the future.

Bunty
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Colorado Springs leaders made the mistake of wanting to raise property taxes to cover the holes in their city budget. A lot of people resent property taxes since it's too much like paying rent on the home you own.

mugofbeer
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I wonder how hostile the citizens would have been to a 3 year penny sales tax increase with a definite expiration date to bridge the gap vs. a property tax increase that I am assuming was worded as permanent?

ljbab728
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Also, I'm wondering if the Chamber can take advantage of luring these Colorado Springs museums to OKC during this down time, sounds like many of them may just close their doors.
Colorado Springs cuts into services considered basic by many - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14303473)

While I don't know what museums they are refering to, it's probable that if the museums are city funded they are places of mainly only local interest such as a city history museum or a hands on science museum. Museums that would attract visitors here that might close aren't likely.

Matt
02-06-2010, 06:48 AM
While I don't know what museums they are refering to, it's probable that if the museums are city funded they are places of mainly only local interest such as a city history museum or a hands on science museum. Museums that would attract visitors here that might close aren't likely.

Just looked up what museums they have in Colorado Springs on Google. There's one called "Colorado Springs Pioneers" which apparently is having some financial difficulties. I say Clay Bennett should get involved. Buy the current ownership out, demand the city build him a new museum, and when they don't, just move the whole kit-and-caboodle down here. I don't have any interest in Colorado Springs, much less it's pioneers, but I'd go visit anyway, if only to show those show those tax-hating losers up there who's boss.

mugofbeer
02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
If what seems to be happening in Colorado Springs is true, I think it would be a wonderful study to compare it to Denver and their tax policies. Both cities are experiencing budget problems, but Denver has shown a long-term willingness to tax themselves for public, civic and art projects. Denver's Arts District is a wonderful place to visit, their parks are 2nd to none and they always turn out to approve sports facilities and transit projects. Looking at The Springs may be a good arguement that it is possible to TAX TOO LITTLE.