View Full Version : The Vet that declawed my cat....by accident

flippity
02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
My boyfriend took 3 cats to the vet for me a couple weeks ago...he took my mom's female torti calico cat to be declawed, my big orange and white male cat to be checked - he had diarrhea, and a young orange and white male cat to be neutered. When the receptionist checks pets in, she puts a piece of tape on the pet carrier you bring them in with their name on it....then the pet gets moved to a kennel in the back and again, a piece of tape on the kennel with their name and procedure on it. She mixed up the names on the pet carriers for my big orange/white cat and the female torti. She even wrote the physical description down for the torti calico cat because my boyfriend didn't know what to call it. So they end up putting the wrong names on the kennels, and oops, they declawed my big orange/white cat and checked the torti for diarrhea.

No one ever looked at the physical description of the cats in the file...no telling how many people handled them that day - techs, 2 vets, the receptionist, and they all got it wrong. The first vet did the declawing in the morning, and I called after lunch to see if they had checked my orange cat for diarrhea and the second vet called me back and said she had examined the cat and didn't find any diarrhea. No kidding, it was the wrong cat.

When I went to pick up the neutered cat and my older cat, they brought out the torti and I was like "that's the wrong cat" they tried to argue with me and I told them...I've had my cat for 7 years and my mom's had this cat for 3 years..I know them apart and they don't even look alike. Plus one's male and one's female. I was very upset and they had the office manager call me..and instead of apologizing to me, she told me that it must have been my boyfriend's fault because she would never make a mistake like that..that when she makes a chart for an animal, that chart never leaves them...that she has been there 20 years...there must have been some kind of miscommunication and blah blah blah. NEVER apologized. I demanded copies of the charts and she herself had written the description of the female, so SHE mislabeled the pet carriers. Even if my boyfriend told her wrong, all she had to do was look inside the carrier to see it was the wrong cat.

They refunded all my money, including the charge for the neuter on the 3rd cat..they gave us all the medicine for free and when I went to pick up my accidentally-declawed cat the next day, they gave us a bunch of food and did his fecal exam.

Needless to say, I'm still furious about the whole thing so I made a complaint with the Veterinary Medical Board and they are reviewing it. I didn't want that cat declawed, it was unnecessary as he had never once scratched anything but a scratching post. The other cat was very destructive with her claws so it was either throw her outside or have her declawed.

meginok
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm very interested in knowing the name of this veterinary practice. That's a horrible mistake to make.

mugofbeer
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I am sorry for the error made on your cat. I don't know much about them and far prefer dogs but I understand it could be a major lifestyle change for the cat.

I wanted to say, thank you, though, for not throwing the other cat outside and forcing it on your neighbors. There isn't much more irritating to me than to see neighbors cats walking through my yard pooping and trying to get to the birds that nest.

PennyQuilts
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh, I'd be horrified. At least they refunded the money but they should have checked more, clearly. Even if the boyfriend put them in the wrong carrier (and I am not saying he did), their descriptions should have tipped them off.

Joe Daddy
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
They refunded all my money, including the charge for the neuter on the 3rd cat..they gave us all the medicine for free and when I went to pick up my accidentally-declawed cat the next day, they gave us a bunch of food and did his fecal exam.

Needless to say, I'm still furious about the whole thing so I made a complaint with the Veterinary Medical Board and they are reviewing it. I didn't want that cat declawed, it was unnecessary as he had never once scratched anything but a scratching post. The other cat was very destructive with her claws so it was either throw her outside or have her declawed.

I can understand your frustration. It looks like they did all they can do to make up for it. It seems like they were genuinely sorry for the screw up.

How is your kitty feeling/acting since getting de-clawed?

tburn
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
so now the big orange declawed cat has to stay inside!

I had neutered, male brother cats with claws that were allowed inside and out but they got into so many fights outside and I had to medicate absess wounds (gross!) too many times so made them indoor only cats. It is a hard adjustment for everyone in the family!

I hope your adjustment goes well.

flippity
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I can understand your frustration. It looks like they did all they can do to make up for it. It seems like they were genuinely sorry for the screw up.

How is your kitty feeling/acting since getting de-clawed?

no, they didn't do everything. the receptionist/office manager was hateful to me on the phone and she should've apologized and admitted her mistake...one of the vets should've called me to apologize or at least talked to me personally about it, but they didn't.

flippity
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Southside Dog Cat & Bird at 73rd & South Shields, Dr. Roger Harlin & Dr. Danielle Husted

DaveSkater
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Harlin's a quack. No pun intended. When i had birds, i had several piss poor experiences with his office. Dr. Schrag got all my avian care afterward, and if she half as attentive to 4 legged critters as she was with my two legged ones, I'd highly recommend her.

GretaGecko
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
That is so sad! I would be furious about the goof-up. I had used that vet for over 20 years, and they were always very nice, but I'm pretty sure that they gave my chihuahua overdosing on antibiotics that ruined her liver and other organs after a mouth infection. She didn't have the swollen abdomen until after the antibiotics. I just don't know, you have to trust someone. My Lucy passed on last April 14th, and now I will have to trust a vet to do my new pet's spay. My current vet had some trouble with overdosing already.

LaVerne

Jethrol
02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
This is really awful. I'm sorry they were so incompetent.

If this happened to me, I would more than likely hire an attorney and sue.

The reason is because declawing is amputation. I never knew the reality of what happens nor the aftermath. Here's a link....but I should warn you that it might be too disturbing for the squeamish:
The Facts About Declawing (http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm)

blueice101
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the link. It is a bit disturbing but good to know.

flippity
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM

The reason is because declawing is amputation. I never knew the reality of what happens nor the aftermath. Here's a link....but I should warn you that it might be too disturbing for the squeamish:

you can't sue for damages with animals unless they are a commodity like livestock. certainly not for pain & suffering.

flippity
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
That is so sad! I would be furious about the goof-up. I had used that vet for over 20 years, and they were always very nice, but I'm pretty sure that they gave my chihuahua overdosing on antibiotics that ruined her liver and other organs after a mouth infection. She didn't have the swollen abdomen until after the antibiotics. I just don't know, you have to trust someone. My Lucy passed on last April 14th, and now I will have to trust a vet to do my new pet's spay. My current vet had some trouble with overdosing already.

LaVerne

i wouldn't be surprised. since my ordeal, I talked to some friends of mine and they have had horror stories about that office too. one friend's small dog was given enough vaccine for a mastiff and had to be on an IV for more than a week to flush out her system. Another's was accidentally injected with the distemper vaccine into a vein instead of in the muscle and now has tremors in her legs and can barely walk. Dr. Harlin suggested that they just put the dog to sleep because it would have problems the rest of its life.

Midtowner
03-02-2010, 04:45 PM
You need to report this guy to the Oklahoma Veterinary Board.

Oklahoma Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners - OBVME - Typical Cases (http://www.okvetboard.com/serv01.htm)

smooth
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM

Although it's the pet parents choice, declawing does NOT hurt the cat. My mom had her cat delawed when he was a kitten and he has felt fine since. In fact, he is very friendly and has a lot of mannerisms like a dog.

flippity
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh really? well here's a new development. we've been keeping him indoors exclusively and he had cabin fever, I guess, and escaped yesterday when my daughter opened the door. He came home dirty and barely able to walk. I don't know what he did or what he stepped in or rubbed his feet in (I started to say "clawed" but that's not appropriate anymore), but his paws were caked with dirt. I thought he had broken a foot because it was so tender. I took him to the vet today and she anesthetized him so she could clean his paws...turns out that on two of his toes, the bone was sticking out and now she has to go back in and amputate even more of those 2 toes to keep him from losing his foot. Not only did they screw up, but they did a ****ty job while they were at it.

and Midtowner, thank you, I did make a complaint with the Vet board right after it happened.

smooth
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh really? well here's a new development. we've been keeping him indoors exclusively and he had cabin fever, I guess, and escaped yesterday when my daughter opened the door. He came home dirty and barely able to walk. I don't know what he did or what he stepped in or rubbed his feet in (I started to say "clawed" but that's not appropriate anymore), but his paws were caked with dirt. I thought he had broken a foot because it was so tender. I took him to the vet today and she anesthetized him so she could clean his paws...turns out that on two of his toes, the bone was sticking out and now she has to go back in and amputate even more of those 2 toes to keep him from losing his foot. Not only did they screw up, but they did a ****ty job while they were at it.

and Midtowner, thank you, I did make a complaint with the Vet board right after it happened.

Your situation is one that occurs only rarely. It comes from a bad vet, although good vets make mistakes. For the most part, declawing does NOT hurt the cat. It could have been something else that caused it.

Either way, I'm sorry your cat has to lose a limb. Just don't blame declawing. I doubt you have enough evidence to prove it.

flippity
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
what do you think declawing is? it's amputation of the last joint and end of the phlanges...he's already lost 10 parts of his paws...and cats are supposed to walk on their tiptoes..he walks flat footed now.

flippity
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Your situation is one that occurs only rarely. It comes from a bad vet, although good vets make mistakes. For the most part, declawing does NOT hurt the cat. It could have been something else that caused it.

Either way, I'm sorry your cat has to lose a limb. Just don't blame declawing. I doubt you have enough evidence to prove it.

his bone would never have been sticking out of his skin if they had not done the surgery in the first place, btw. It never healed properly. there's be no hole in his skin or a wound that could've come open. I think that's evidence enough. I'm not angry with you at all, even though I'm sure this sounds angry. I'm angry as hell at that clinic, though.

PennyQuilts
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
A lot of vets are getting away from declawing altogether. Thank god.

smooth
03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
his bone would never have been sticking out of his skin if they had not done the surgery in the first place, btw. It never healed properly. there's be no hole in his skin or a wound that could've come open. I think that's evidence enough. I'm not angry with you at all, even though I'm sure this sounds angry. I'm angry as hell at that clinic, though.

It still could have been something else. You can NOT convence me declawing is a bad thing. Just ask my moms cat.

PennyQuilts
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
You can NOT convence me declawing is a bad thing. Just ask my moms cat.

Okay, that strikes me as the funniest thing I've read all week. I am not even sure why but it made me laugh.

flippity
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
It still could have been something else. You can NOT convence me declawing is a bad thing. Just ask my moms cat.

it wasn't.
i won't try to convince you that declawing is bad, you are obviously not changing your opinion, and that's fine.

but the infection and the problems he is having now are a direct result of a bad declaw job. One that should never have happened. Even if it's not bad for cats, I did NOT want it done to my cat. I wanted him to have claws so that he could play outside and he could climb up a tree if he needed to, but now he can't.

Caboose
03-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Mutilating a creature and taking away it's self defense mechanism just because it is inconvenient to you is horrible.

JohnDenver
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Mutilating a creature and taking away it's self defense mechanism just because it is inconvenient to you is horrible.

Abortion. Declawing. Circumcision. Religion. Politics.

They are all in the same realm.

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Although it's the pet parents choice, declawing does NOT hurt the cat.
Wrong....you seriously need to educate yourself. It's not declawing...it's amputation. Sure the procedure is called declawing but that's only to lessen the impact of what is actually occurring.

It's a barbaric and grotesque procedure and it should be outlawed!

My mom had her cat delawed when he was a kitten and he has felt fine since. In fact, he is very friendly and has a lot of mannerisms like a dog.
So what...you've had one good experience. That doesn't mean that it's harmless and/or OK to continue doing.

Google is your friend. You really should have more knowledge before you start spouting off. You are quite wrong.

PennyQuilts
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Abortion. Declawing. Circumcision. Religion. Politics.

They are all in the same realm.

Circumcision and declawing are often compared in the discussion of whether the results justify the procedure. Abortion, religion and politics aren't too similar other than just being hot, emotional topics.

As was suggested, a google search shows this is a very, very debated topic and not just on the fringe.

One of my favorite vet blogs is Dolittler. I encourage any animal lover one to look at her blog. She gives a well balanced discussion of most issues. Here are some (not all) of her posts on the subject:

Dolittler: Holiday stress and "Considering declawing? Think Again..." (http://www.dolittler.com/2009/12/14/Holiday.stress.and.Considering.declawing.Think.Aga in.html)

Dolittler: "If you're for declawing cats, raise your hand" (http://www.dolittler.com/2009/10/13/If.youre.for.declawing.cats.raise.your.hand.html)

Dolittler: Why this vet hates to declaw cats (http://www.dolittler.com/2007/05/16/pet.vet.dog.cat.declaw.5.16.07.html)

Dolittler: Declaw nightmare redux (http://www.dolittler.com/2007/05/22/pet.vet.dog.cat.declaw.5.22.07.html)

Dolittler: The Dreaded Declaw: A Veterinarian?s Perspective (http://www.dolittler.com/2006/10/19/pet.vet.dog.cat.vpov.10.19.06.html)

Dolittler: Sharp contrast: The $150 declaw Vs. the $450 declaw (http://www.dolittler.com/2008/09/15/cat.declaw.declawing.veterinary.veterinarian.medic ine.pain.html)

smooth
03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Do not ever call me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

first. You do not know the cat. I do!

i don"t care if it is one experience. I still say you are wrong!!!!

smooth
03-06-2010, 09:36 PM
do not ever call me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
do not ever call me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I did it here also....care to go type in some more large letters...oh and don't forget the bold. :fighting2
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/20921-safest-okc-neighborhood.html#post305067

gen70
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow!! You people need to think about something other than "a cat". They taste good if you cook them right.

nik4411
03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
bahahahahahahaha

i rather hate cats. but that is only my view.

but, to the original topic, i would most definitely not be very happy if there were a procedure done to my animal that was not asked for. big screw up.

MuseMOKC
03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Do not ever call me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

How do you "know" the cat is happy? Are you able to speak to the cat? I have several friends who had cats declawed and noticed almost immediately a dramatic and sad change in behavior. It is obviously NOT a great option for most cats.

It would be better if the owners would take the time to train their cats and provide them with scratching zones. I have and my couches are scratch free. There are alternatives to declawing, which I personally consider barbaric. I would rather find a suitable home for a cat rather than declaw them. Just my opinion though.

flippity
04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
wow, someone got ANGRY.

Ok, so I got a response from the Vet Med Board. They said although it was unfortunate, they found no wrongdoing. They did send the vet a letter about how he should come up with a better system so that wouldn't happen again though.

Hmph.
that's ok, I will take every chance I get to tell people not to go there.