View Full Version : Downtown living options for a dog owner in the next 2-4 years.

Theo Walcott
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Anything interesting on the horizon? The Downtown Air Park project sounds interesting, but its viability seems to be in doubt, no?

My problem with the Brownstones is that none of them have a yard (even a small one) for my dogs. This seems to be a serious problem with downtown living in any event because most of the new developments don't have much in the way of small yards for dog owners. I mean I've got a couple little dogs, and we aren't talking great danes here, but the lack of a small wrought iron enclosure pretty much makes the downtown living options a no-go at this point.

It would be nice to hear that the proposed Downtown Air Park project will have something in the way of yard space, however small it may be.

warreng88
02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
With the Central Park expected to be open by 2014, there might be some more options in that area with development possibly increasing.

OKC@heart
02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
It is for that very reason (well one anyway) that the idea of central type parks become so important when ever you are creating a vibrant walkable and livable city. Most of the urban living will not have thier own green spaces and so it is important to have a public yard that is shared by all and will allow for dog owners to run thier animals and have fun in a public backyard. Enter planning for the Core to Shore park. It seems a little strange in its planning phase but typically it becomes framed by both residential and office towers because of the draw and visibility and access to the park which is viewed as such an ammenity for employees as well as nearby residents. Its coming but it may be a while yet.

Soho
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I live in the Brownstones with 2 dogs and are not experiencing any problems. Initially I shared your concerns but there are 2 pocket parks and unlimited open space nearby. Several of our neighbors have dogs, some in the Brownstones as well as the lofts.

The wife and I have a 3 mile walking route we take the dogs on several times a week.

betts
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I live in the brownstones too and have one dog (corgi), with another on the way. On really nasty days, she just goes outside for bathroom breaks, but on nicer days, I get up a little earlier in the morning and walk her, and walk her in the evening as well. We both need and enjoy the exercise. On nice days I leave the door to two of our porches open as well (one of which is 25' x 15' in size). She loves to sit out there and supervise the comings and goings of people in the neighborhood. She gets lots of exercise running up and down the steps (I have the technique of tossing her ball down a flight of stairs down pat) and I'm hoping with the new puppy there will be lots of games of chase up and down the stairs. I take her to Central Park two days a week as well. I don't see any evidence at all that she's unhappy and it's been no trouble for me to have her living with us.

She loves going to Bricktown on walks, and I swear she recognizes the Starbucks logo, as they're free with their pupachinos. Coco Flow has a nice porch she can sit on, so that's good too.

Theo Walcott
02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh I'm not talking about the space being too small for my dogs; it's totally the bathroom situation that has me cold on the Brownstones. Both me and my wife work, so I think not having a yard would be problematic.

khook
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Be a responsible pet owner. I live downtown with no yard. You walk the dog. If you were in any downtown housing anywhere you adjust and learn to walk the dog. And don't forget the poop baggie.

ljbab728
02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh I'm not talking about the space being too small for my dogs; it's totally the bathroom situation that has me cold on the Brownstones. Both me and my wife work, so I think not having a yard would be problematic.

New York and Chicago are full of dog owners who do fine. You learn to adapt if you want to live in that kind of environment.

betts
02-05-2010, 05:08 AM
My husband and I both work. Of course it helps if you work nearby, as you can pop over and let your dog out during the lunch hour, which I can frequently do. It would be difficult if I couldn't either do that or, on the days when I can't get off at lunch, I couldn't get home relatively early. My dog does fine, though. We've not had any accidents. And, as I said, on most days she can sit out on our big porch and enjoy the weather. She's even got a little swimming pool out on the porch for hot days.

Soho
02-05-2010, 07:23 AM
We installed a doggie door onto the outdoor living area. They have a "potty pad" available 24 hours a day and enjoy the fresh air. It also gives them an opportunity to peer down on the UPS guy and communicate with Bett's dog down the street. :tiphat:

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I remember growing up as a kid that a dog was a dog. If you didn't have a backyard, the dog stayed in a Pet Taxi for the day & when you came home, it would be let out on the leash to go outside and do business and play. Today's world is a whole lot different. If you stuff a dog in a Pet Taxi then it's like locking a kid in a closet. I love dogs but the rights that people give dogs these days are ludicrous. Your dog isn't going to know any different if he stays inside during the day. Their experience is your experience. Love them when you're with them and they'll love you even more when they're by themselves...

FritterGirl
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I remember growing up as a kid that a dog was a dog. If you didn't have a backyard, the dog stayed in a Pet Taxi for the day & when you came home, it would be let out on the leash to go outside and do business and play. Today's world is a whole lot different. If you stuff a dog in a Pet Taxi then it's like locking a kid in a closet. I love dogs but the rights that people give dogs these days are ludicrous. Your dog isn't going to know any different if he stays inside during the day. Their experience is your experience. Love them when you're with them and they'll love you even more when they're by themselves...

Not entirely true. Many of the leading pet trainers and behaviorists advocate crate training for pets as THE BEST means of bathroom training. All three of our animals were crate trained. It was a simple, easy process for the most part. They've graduated to be able to have the run of the house now, but they still go happily to their crates at night when we go to bed, although we have no need to lock them up.

That said, from a living standpoint, having off-leash open space nearby (whether backyard or common area) to provide your animals (especially larger or more energetic/hyper-active breeds) is very much a benefit, and is much more convenient to the owners. The burden here is on the pet owner to find the type of dog that would be condusive to apartment/urban living, where small pocket parks and leash walks are sufficient to burn the energy. Some breeds, like Border Collies or Weimeraners, would not fare well in that kind of situation, unless they were taken out daily to a larger open space to play ball or get their energy out.

betts
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
We installed a doggie door onto the outdoor living area. They have a "potty pad" available 24 hours a day and enjoy the fresh air. It also gives them an opportunity to peer down on the UPS guy and communicate with Bett's dog down the street. :tiphat:

Excellent idea. Thanks.

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Not entirely true. Many of the leading pet trainers and behaviorists advocate crate training for pets as THE BEST means of bathroom training. All three of our animals were crate trained. It was a simple, easy process for the most part. They've graduated to be able to have the run of the house now, but they still go happily to their crates at night when we go to bed, although we have no need to lock them up.

That said, from a living standpoint, having off-leash open space nearby (whether backyard or common area) to provide your animals (especially larger or more energetic/hyper-active breeds) is very much a benefit, and is much more convenient to the owners. The burden here is on the pet owner to find the type of dog that would be condusive to apartment/urban living, where small pocket parks and leash walks are sufficient to burn the energy. Some breeds, like Border Collies or Weimeraners, would not fare well in that kind of situation, unless they were taken out daily to a larger open space to play ball or get their energy out.

I agree with you whole heartedly (don't know if that's a word). We had a house, a large lawn and our toy poodle still stayed in her pet taxi when we were away from home and she was potty trained. She knew the sentence "get in your box", lol.

If you're going to live in a downtown living environment where there's not much green space, then small pets are the way to go. If you have a big dog like the above mentioned then give them to a very good friend that has a ranch for them to run their energy out on.

huskysooner
02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
There are several homeowners at Block 42 with dogs - both large and small breeds. The courtyard area out front is very convenient with benches and nice grassy areas. Additionally, there is a long, linear "green belt" that runs through the Deep Deuce apartments (with doggie bag stations) directly across the street from Block 42.

MadMonk
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd like to thank whoever left their dog's big steaming "present" on Park Ave earlier this week. Normally, I only see piles like that at the park nearby my house. It brought in a little slice of suburban heaven into the concrete jungle. Bonus kudos to the poor soul who left the footprint in it.

PennyQuilts
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
New York and Chicago are full of dog owners who do fine. You learn to adapt if you want to live in that kind of environment.

Agreed. My son has a large dog and they live in an apartment. He takes her to the dog park where she can run offleash but mainly he walks her several times a day. It is not my cup of tea and I personally wouldn't do it, but she seems like a happy girl.

PennyQuilts
02-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I agree. Crate training is THE way to go on house training - it was so much easier on the dogs. I know a lot of dogs continue to go to their crate all their lives but that hasn't been my experience. I thought the baby was going to do that because she seemed to really enjoy her crate and would happily put herself to bed. Then, she hit a year old and suddenly decided that was just for puppies. Since she has never been destructive, she'd earned the right to be loose at night. She stays in our room and is no trouble.

Urban Pioneer
02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
The Myriad Gardens renovation includes a dog park "area." Not really a release area though, too small. But the Central Park I believe is including a full-fledged release area. Urban Neighbors (the Neighborhood Association Downtown) advocated hard for this.

betts
02-06-2010, 05:51 PM
That will be popular at my house. Will dogs be able to ride the streetcar if we're feeling too lazy to walk?

Urban Pioneer
02-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Not sure Betts. Lol. Why don't you do some research for us pro-bono on what they do in Portland and Seattle so we can advise the committee. Lol

Larry OKC
02-06-2010, 09:24 PM
That will be popular at my house. Will dogs be able to ride the streetcar if we're feeling too lazy to walk?

Would imagine similar rules that are in place for the current buses & trolleys. Are they allowed on those?

betts
02-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Here we go. Seattle seems to be the most progressive, as they were the only place I found that didn't require dogs to ride in a carrier, although most cities allowed dogs in carriers on public transport:

[In Seattle] Both small and large dogs are allowed on the street cars and buses. Small dogs that fit in their owner's lap ride for free. Large dogs are charged the same fare as their owner and should not occupy a seat. Large dogs should ride on the floor of the bus, preferably under the seat. If you have a very large dog, it is up to the driver as to whether or not your dog will be allowed. One large dog per bus is allowed. Dogs must be leashed.