View Full Version : Forward Foods on Western?

progressiveboy
02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Has there been any update as to when FF will be opening their Western Avenue address? I have not heard anything on this thread lately. Any time frame period?

Urban Pioneer
02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
It is happening soon. The owners are new parents and I think that slowed the process a bit. But the lease was signed and I think they are prepping the building.

metro
02-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Well, they also ended up getting more space than first thought after they had already started remodeling, so they've been remodeling the inside and it appears it is still a ways off. I'm thinking April opening based on looks. Maybe late March if things pick up pace.

kd5ili
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Here are some photos from the architects website.

Fitzsimmons Architects | Forward Foods (http://www.fitzsimmons-arch.com/Forward_Foods_1.html)

-Chris-

Dustin
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
What is forward foods exactly? Are they a grocer?

John
03-15-2010, 04:58 PM
What is forward foods exactly? Are they a grocer?

Forward Foods (http://www.forwardfoods.com/)

foodiefan
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Say "Cheese"!!. . . .drooling all over my keyboard!!

Rover
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Where on Western?

Dustin
03-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Forward Foods (http://www.forwardfoods.com/)

Thanks! Seems pretty small.. from what I read on their website, the one in Norman is only two aisles.. They seem to pride themselves in their cheese collection.

Martin
03-16-2010, 06:14 AM
the one in norman is small but it's jam packed with good foods.

my only concern, and i might get flamed for this, is that i'm not terribly jazzed about the parking at the north western location. i seem to remember going when it was cocoflow and there being a total of three spaces out front... and i had the distinct joy of backing up onto western.

-M

LakeEffect
03-16-2010, 06:21 AM
the one in norman is small but it's jam packed with good foods.

my only concern, and i might get flamed for this, is that i'm not terribly jazzed about the parking at the north western location. i seem to remember going when it was cocoflow and there being a total of three spaces out front... and i had the distinct joy of backing up onto western.

-M

No worries now, they've removed all Western Ave parking. :smile:

The parking is all in the back - that's where I usually parked when going to CoCo Flow anyway, much easier to navigate.

Martin
03-16-2010, 07:03 AM
^
good to know! i'm guessing access is via the alley just south of the building?

-M

metro
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
yes. and diggyba, as others stated, the Norman store is small, but packed with lots of fine foods and hundreds of types of cheeses. This Western store will be much larger and so will it's cafe. This isn't a superwalmart, or even trader joes, it's a niche specialty grocer that carries specialty and gourmet products and is definitely welcome to the OKC market. Unfortunately, we currently have nothing like it.

progressiveboy
03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
yes. and diggyba, as others stated, the Norman store is small, but packed with lots of fine foods and hundreds of types of cheeses. This Western store will be much larger and so will it's cafe. This isn't a superwalmart, or even trader joes, it's a niche specialty grocer that carries specialty and gourmet products and is definitely welcome to the OKC market. Unfortunately, we currently have nothing like it. This is will be a good addition for Western Ave. It will certainly serve a niche market with quality items.

metro
03-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Drove by yesterday and it looks like they are getting close. I'd guess no more than a month away.

bombermwc
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I was excited until I read "north western". Yay, yet another thing on the north side....boo.

metro
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, it's a big deal for OKC to have anything like it unfortunately, and southside doesn't really have any districts, except Capitol Hill.

soonerguru
03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
I was excited until I read "north western". Yay, yet another thing on the north side....boo.

No offense, but not much of anything on the hipster urban front is going to be found on the south side. Not sure why, but that's the way it's always been.

There did used to be a cool book store and a couple of other things but it's pretty much always been a cultural wasteland.

blake
03-31-2010, 07:30 AM
I talked to their Norman store last Saturday and they said they had hoped to have it open by the end of this week.

metro
03-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Talked to the Norman store this morning, they are hoping to open sometime next week if all goes well!!

metro
04-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Drove by this weekend, they had some food stocked in there, but not full. They should be open any day now.

onthestrip
04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Talked to the Norman store this morning, they are hoping to open sometime next week if all goes well!!

Are you Pete or Repeat?

Martin
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
are you pete or repeat?

in fairness to metro... blake's post hadn't yet been approved and therefore wasn't visible when metro posted.

-M

metro
04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks, not to mention my statement quoted a different timeframe.

SatelliteHigh
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know where it is going to be located, other than "north" Western?

John
04-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know where it is going to be located, other than "north" Western?

@ 51st

BigBadBen
04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Sounds interesting.
Is it open yet? We are going to have to go check it out.

metro
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
There soft opening is today around 1pm-8pm. They said they will probably open around noon tomorrow. I just called them 879-9937.

metro
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Wife and I went after work tonight, it's going to be nice. Lots of items not stocked yet, I wouldn't recommend going at least until Tuesday until they are more up to speed. I'm all for it, but they probably shouldn't have opened yet today until they get more stock and some kinks worked out. Looks like they will have a decent selection of organic produce which will be nice. Cafe is anticipated to open in early summer once the kinks are worked out.

CaseyCornett
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I went to Forward Foods on Saturday and I think it's a great addition to the area. One think that seemed to be a favorite amongst all the customers was their cheese selections...I will definitely be going back soon.
It's not a main big-box grocery (Whole Foods) but is great for the neighbors that surround it that are able to walk.
Parking seemed to be a big issue though...

metro
04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Casey, did you notice the parking lot they have out back? Holds a good 20 cars or so, in addition to the 3 spots out front. I think it's plenty for a boutique such as this, much more than their Norman store.

CaseyCornett
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Nope, I didn't see the spots in back, just the ones in front. Thanks for clarifying and yes I think that the 20 in back would be plenty.

Martin
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
just got back from forward foods, okc. I ♥ IT!

park in back... just take 51st street and park in speakeasy's lot (before 7pm)... there is a sign to tell you were to turn.

-M

Sin Wagon
04-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I went in and overall I would say it looks promising. Can't wait to try some of their prepared foods. They had my favorite Greek yogurt in stock (F A G E brand, food of the gods). I did see quite a few items on the shelves that can be picked up at local grocery stores. I was expecting for such a small boutique store that 90% would be hard to find organic or regional foods. For example they sell Thai curry ingredients that are found at every grocery chain but the real deal can be picked up just down the road at Super Cao. The kettle brand chips are everywhere, they could stock Zapp's from Louisiana or other awesome regional potato chips. Good--selection of cheese, oils, grains. No chia seeds though. Anyone know where to buy chia seeds in OKC?

metro
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, some of their selection for the OKC store compared to the Norman store surprised me. The Norman store has more specialty type stuff and bulk foods. I too was surprised by the poor selection of chips compared to Norman store.

Martin
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
i didn't think there was any fewer specialty items. perhaps the fact that inventory is more spread out in the okc location gives the illusion of sparseness. i did notice that at the okc location there was more in terms of groceries, produce and fresh dairy when compared to the norman store. the okc store did seem to have less bulk pasta available but i attributed that to the fact that the store has just opened. we'll see... overall, i was still pleased.

-M

Dustin
04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/gourmet-grocery-store-is-going-forward/article/3457219)

Just tried this place!! Its amazing!!

Eep
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
No chia seeds though. Anyone know where to buy chia seeds in OKC?
I've found them at Akin's before (NW 63rd/May).

metro
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Making a DIY chia pet?

Ezrablum
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
All this talk and concern about parking, and yet I think part of the appeal of a specialty foods store like Forward Foods in that location is that a lot of people will be able to walk and/or ride their bicycle. Novel idea.

Steve
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know if Forward Foods sells gluten free items?

redrunner
04-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I've found them at Akin's before (NW 63rd/May).

Just read about chia seeds in runner's world. i'm interested in locating some. i'll check out Akins. Thanks.

Larry OKC
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM

Not sure about them but noticed the Buy 4 Les on NW Expressway/Portland sells a few...saw a glutten free cake mix from Betty Crocker.

metro
04-30-2010, 08:02 AM

I'm pretty sure they sell some, but not sure how much since I'm not GF. Heck, even Walmart has a decent gluten free selection these days.

Larry OKC
04-30-2010, 09:05 PM
hadn't noticed it at Wal-mart, but that's kewl.

Was in Buy 4 less today and most of the gluten free stuff is along the Pharmacy wall 9near the diabetic and weight loss stuff). But noticed gluten free noodles in a display over in the international section and even gluten/egg/dairy/trans fat/preservative free frozen waffles (not sure if they were taste free too...LOL) over with the small "Organic" freezer section (oddly the overhead freezer label is "Pot Pies")