View Full Version : Recommend a Roofing Company

warreng88
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
We have what is called an "Ice Dam" on our roof and might have a little damage. Anyone have any good experience with roofing companies?

kevinpate
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
David Fries Roofing‎
Norman, OK‎
(405) 360-4772‎

rcjunkie
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Salazar Roofing, 350-6558. I own several rental properties (residential and commercial) in and around OKC, I use them several times a year and always 100% satisfied.

foy0613
02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Elliott Roofing will make sure it is done right the first time around. Elliott Roofing - www.elliottroofs.com (http://www.elliottroofs.com/)

I have seen lots of leaking roofs and water in the floor vents after all of the standing ice and snow over the past two months.

Good luck!

Jon27
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Salazar Roofing, 350-6558. I own several rental properties (residential and commercial) in and around OKC, I use them several times a year and always 100% satisfied.

Must depend on who you talk to. If you use Salazar, and Eric (the son) calls you, go somewhere else. Trust me. I'll never use them because of him. He is worthless.

My inlaws used Taft Roofing, and they did an excellent job. Not sure of their phone number.

RealJimbo
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Okie Roofing, repped by Bobby Rundle at 405-702-3022. He'll take good care of you.

gmwise
02-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Dont use Salazar!!!
headache after headache
walking accidents

positano
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Take recommendations (or condemnations) with a grain of salt. Many roofing companies have multiple crews, and not all perform the same quality of work. You may hear conflicting opinions about the same company.

That being said, we used Elliot in the past and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They did a horrible job, made a weak (and unsuccessful) effort to fix it, then cast blame on everyone but themselves. They never took responsibility, and weren't willing to fix it without charging us additional money.

Post-ice storm we used Affordable. They did a great job as far as I can tell, worked hard, and really cleaned up after they were finished. Incidentally, another shortcoming of Elliot - we picked up construction debris for weeks after they finished.

Jethrol
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Van De Steeg roofing. I've known the owner pretty much my whole life and he's a great guy. Hard worker and really will take care of his customers. I don't know how competitive his prices are though. He's been roofing for 20+ years now so he's got loads of experience.

I've also heard very good things about Robinson Roofing but I've never used them either and I don't know them personally.

NikonNurse
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Robbins.

OKC4me
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
We used Elliott in August. I can't recommend them either.

We set a date for the roof to be done about 6 weeks in advance. We called about 3 days beforehand to make sure everything was good to go, they said yes, they'd be there at 8am.

8am, 9, 10, 11, noon, comes, nothing. So we call. Can't get a hold of anybody. Leave message. I guess it was around 3pm when we got in touch with our salesman, and he said the crew had a flat tire, and couldn't make it. I told him that was so inconsiderate becuause we had to get somebody to watch our dog, etc, etc. He really didn't seem to care at all.

So, the next day, they were supposed to be there at 7:30am. They never show up at all. We call again, and get the run around again. This time, the crew got lost.

The 3rd day, they were supposed to be there at 7:30am. They show up about 11am. They went right to work, and worked till 8pm or so. Came the next morning, and finished up around dinnertime.

The roof looks good, but I'm not happy with their lack of communication. There was zero. We had to call them for everything. And once the roof was finished, they are done with you. No joke. You don't exist anymore.

I can't recommend them at all.

Lion17
03-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I was extremely happy with my roofing company and would recommend them to any and everyone. They were courteous, professional, punctual, and did top notch work. Ken Richardson Roofing. After doing mine, they have done about a half dozen other roofs in my neighborhood on my recommendation and everyone has been quite happy with them. My sales rep was Josh Riley. His number is 405-760-1214. You should definitely give him a call.

RealJimbo
03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Okie Roofing, repped by Bobby Rundle at 405-702-3022. He'll take good care of you.

No kidding. Use Bobby. He'll stay with you until the job is done.

janejane
05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Basey's Roofing is the best

rondvu
05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I have friends that has suffered roof damage. They called Baseys. They have have had four roofs in 20 years and they are always satisfied. I would agree that it depends on the crew. Some are better then others. I would ask and wait for the crew that is the best. Good luck.

dlong65
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Try Platinum Roofing and Construction, they're locally owned, have over 20 years experience and will return all phone calls. 405-286-4154

RealJimbo
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Posting to bring this one back to the top. Roofers are very busy right now so you need to get a local roofer who you know can be counted on to be there if you need warranty work 3 years from now. Bobby Rundle at 405-702-3022 knows what he is doing and makes sure your job is done right. Call him today.

kevinpate
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
... They have have had four roofs in 20 years and they are always satisfied.

Not knocking any particular company .... but 4 roofs in 20 years? That seems like a lot unless you're unfortunate enough to be in a repetitive baseline for storm central.

old okie
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Not knocking any particular company .... but 4 roofs in 20 years? That seems like a lot unless you're unfortunate enough to be in a repetitive baseline for storm central.

Our adjuster said that the "average" life for roofs in Oklahoma is 5.7 years! He does adjusting all over the country, but lives here in OK; he said we have some of the worst weather conditions for "roof life." Said he'd adjusted one lady's home for its THIRD roof in less than two years up in the Stillwater area and said that each roof had been properly installed with good quality materials. He said she was feeling a bit "unlucky" because of all of it.

kevinpate
05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Our adjuster said that the "average" life for roofs in Oklahoma is 5.7 years! He does adjusting all over the country, but lives here in OK; he said we have some of the worst weather conditions for "roof life." Said he'd adjusted one lady's home for its THIRD roof in less than two years up in the Stillwater area and said that each roof had been properly installed with good quality materials. He said she was feeling a bit "unlucky" because of all of it.

Had never heard that, and it doesn't match my own experience. Guess I'm just not very average. I know my parent's roof in ESE OK has far and away gone beyond the average and still looks good and stands strong. Suddenly, I find myself a tad more proud that I helped convert their flattop to a pitched roof many years ago.

td25er
05-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Had never heard that, and it doesn't match my own experience. Guess I'm just not very average. I know my parent's roof in ESE OK has far and away gone beyond the average and still looks good and stands strong. Suddenly, I find myself a tad more proud that I helped convert their flattop to a pitched roof many years ago.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but I love it when people think their experience should exactly match the average, and when it doesn't, the "average" is obviously wrong.

old okie
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM

That's the wild thing about "averages"--some roofs don't make the 5.7 years, while others last almost 'forever'! In our neighborhood, a couple of homes have had two roofs in less than 12 years; all the shingles in the addition are standardized as to type, quality, color, style, etc. This will be our second roof in 13 years when they install the new one next week.

kevinpate
05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not saying you're doing this, but I love it when people think their experience should exactly match the average, and when it doesn't, the "average" is obviously wrong.

You're correct in the sense I wasn't saying the average was wrong. It just surprised me to learn that was the average. Once I heard that, one of my first thoughts was there's got to be just scads of folk out there with the bad luck of experiencing 6 month - 2 year roof lives to bring the average down to below 6 years. I don't know anyone that fits that span, but they'd have to exist to offset the longer time spans I am aware of.

I just never thought about it before. I would of guessed the average was twice that or even more. Turns out I would of been very wrong too.

Jethrol
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow...I'm getting hammered by requests right now as I'm sure everyone else is also....some companies are even flying over our neighborhoods with signs and such.

One of the contractors stopped my my house today, I checked the BBB and they're A+ and it even says that on their flier. As the rep is driving away, I notice a Texas tag and thought that was interesting. The guy that came to quote the job let it slip that their from Texas....hmmm....so I rechecked the BBB for OKC and they've only been registered since May 2010!

This guy was late and even said they would be around for warranty work if needed. I just searched the Houston BBB, they've only been registered since 6/2009 but their home page says they've been around for 30 years.

Sure doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

windowphobe
05-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Got thirteen years out of my current roof.

Jethrol
05-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah my current roof is at 16 years. It was the original install....guess it's time to update it.

johnnyz
08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I have been roofing, building and remodeling houses for more than 25 years. I have a "Master Applicators Certification" with Certainteed.

Ice dam leaks are best prevented by installing a water proof underlayment in valleys, along eves, rakes, around chimneys, skylights, roof accessories and roof areas under 4/12 pitch.

There are many good products, weatherwatch or weatherguard are a couple. These products also have another excellent advantage of self sealing around nails driven through them.

On low pitched roof areas I also recommend installing a modified bitimen roofing product over
using shingles.

I have personal experience working for many prominent roofing companies in OKC. Remember :
BIGGER is not always BETTER. The big companies sub out their work. Many of these crews primary goal is to get paid, the faster they are done, the faster they are paid. You will ultimately pay the price I can assure you this.

Hand driving over installing with an air gun is not always better either. It's all about the knowlege and experience of the installer.

Checking references is highly recommended. My business relies on word of mouth, virtually no advertising. I stay more than busy enough. But a few extra jobs are always nice.

I give free estimates and work on roofing and siding projects are paid upon completion. Or check some of my references I have probably one of the biggest one's you could get, LOWES of Yukon. Call John at 405-882-1717 or email: johnzroofing@yahoo.com.

johnnyz
08-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I worked for Ken and he owes me money if any talks to him tell to give me a call so I can get paid it's been 4 or 5 years. John 882-1717 thanks

RealJimbo
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Just bringing Bobby back up to the top. Call him if you need a roof. He's the best.