View Full Version : February '10 Weather Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

venture
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Winter months are two for two with major storms, will we go three for three or is it on to severe weather season? Probably both the way it is going. LOL

Here is an EARLY outlook for what is in the models right now. Recent snowfall/ice will likely impact high temps in most areas the next few days, so this might bleed into the first couple days of Feb.

Monday Feb 1 Late Evening - Slight chance for a shower (maybe mixed with snow) or two along the northern tier of counties. Temps will be mostly in the 30s across the state with some 40s south.

Feb 3 into 4th - Wave of moisture moving up from the SW. Looks like most of OK could skate by dry, except for far western OK and the Southern sections as well. Temps mostly in the 40s...getting into the 50s by next weekend.

Feb 9th - Begins what appears to be a pretty active week in weather. Light rain possible across most of the western half of the state early. Chances go up in the evening where some areas of southern OK could see a half inch of rain. Low in the upper 40s, high in the mid 50s.

Feb 10th - Overnight moderate to heavy rain increases across the state. A lot of areas could see well over a half inch to an inch of rain. Temps will be well above freezing, so no wintery precip expected now. Surface low will swing into Northern TX by evening bringing very heavy rain into most of the state. Amounts could easily be over an inch for evening rain totals in SC and SE OK into C OK. Temps steady near 50.

Feb 11th - Heavy rain begins to push out to the east and north. Some heavy amounts still expected in northern and Eastern OK. By evening should be down to just light rain. Instability may be enough for a couple storms with the precip this day. Low around 50 high in the upper 50s.

Feb 12th - Light rain still possible across the eastern 2/3rds of the state, heavier amounts east. By afternoon maybe some light rain scattered about as the next system moves into TX. Low in the 40s high in the low 50s.

Feb 13th - Chances for light rain continue as more heavy rain hits Texas. Should be ending though by evening and setup for a dry second half to the weekend. Temps in the 40s.

Beyond the 15th - Models don't go this far yet, but a major system will be moving into the four corners region on the 15th. This should put it in OK around the 16th or 17th if it holds together.

Total precip for the 10th - 12th time period. GFS can get crazy with precip amounts later on in the forecast period, but the thing to take away is that we can probably expect some pretty heavy amounts during this period regardless.

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/models/gfs/3/maps/2010/01/30/12/GFS_3_2010013012_F312_PCPIN_96_HR.png

drum4no1
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Uhh Ill take warm and dry...

PennyQuilts
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Well. Come July, we will be happy about it.

Thunder
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Just making a post so this will be subscribed.

I hear we're in for quite a bit of winter weather for the month.

Uncle Slayton
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Just making a post so this will be subscribed.

I hear we're in for quite a bit of winter weather for the month.

I have heard February will be like December, but that's from Accuweather. Watching all these services is like having fifteen different watches.

After slogging about Norman for an hour or two today with more trips yet to make and a huge limb to saw up for an elderly neighbor, as much as I love the cold, I'm about to call 'calf rope' on winter.

Bostonfan
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Please, no more artic air!! I've had enough.

mugofbeer
01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
What's the deal with those parts of Mexico looking to get a foot of rain????

venture
01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Well. Come July, we will be happy about it.

So very true PQ. Things always balance out, which means we probably have a hot summer on the way.

Bunty
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Yet another freezing fog advisory issued. It goes into effect at 8pm tonight until noon Tues.

OKCisOK4me
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Yet another freezing fog advisory issued. It goes into effect at 8pm tonight until noon Tues.

I posted the same reaction on my FB page earlier today... They're neverending!

Yo, V79, can you go ahead and throw up a July '10 Weather Discussion so we can all go somewhere to dream about the future? lol... Much appreciated!

rod4soonrs
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Morgan is hyping the next one for thu, fri, with ice mix thu. accumulating snow for friday.

bandnerd
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Morgan is hyping the next one for thu, fri, with ice mix thu. accumulating snow for friday.

Well, if that happens, we might as well just not have school during the wintertime and have summer classes instead.

Thunder
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM

:omg:

OKCisOK4me
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM

I saw his forecast from last night this morning on 4-2 and there was no mention of accumulation.

oknacreous
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Need to watch the Thursday system carefully - but right now the NAM and GFS models both depict a cold rain (35ish) in OKC with any snow or ice staying north/northwest of the metro.

Sunday afternoon into Monday morning is starting to look like the next major/widespread winter storm. I'm going to go ahead and dub it the "Super Bowl Sunday Storm". Current GFS dumps a lot of snow over much of Oklahoma, but it's already hinting at some warm air aloft, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have another band of icy mix somewhere over/near central Oklahoma.

PennyQuilts
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
need to watch the thursday system carefully - but right now the nam and gfs models both depict a cold rain (35ish) in okc with any snow or ice staying north/northwest of the metro.

Sunday afternoon into monday morning is starting to look like the next major/widespread winter storm. I'm going to go ahead and dub it the "super bowl sunday storm". Current gfs dumps a lot of snow over much of oklahoma, but it's already hinting at some warm air aloft, so i wouldn't be surprised if we have another band of icy mix somewhere over/near central oklahoma.

stop that...stop talking!! Don't want to hear it!!!

adaniel
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Need to watch the Thursday system carefully - but right now the NAM and GFS models both depict a cold rain (35ish) in OKC with any snow or ice staying north/northwest of the metro.

Sunday afternoon into Monday morning is starting to look like the next major/widespread winter storm. I'm going to go ahead and dub it the "Super Bowl Sunday Storm". Current GFS dumps a lot of snow over much of Oklahoma, but it's already hinting at some warm air aloft, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have another band of icy mix somewhere over/near central Oklahoma.

Please...no....more!

I will probably have nightmares tonight with a hyperventalating Mike Morgan screeching about SUPER BOWL STORM 2010.

oknacreous
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
The good news is the European model shows temperatures being warmer Sunday night and only rain for central Oklahoma. To early to call, just stay tuned.

Thunder
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
stop that...stop talking!! Don't want to hear it!!!

We will have another disaster. It is only a matter of time.

OKCisOK4me
02-02-2010, 01:36 PM
The good news is the European model shows temperatures being warmer Sunday night and only rain for central Oklahoma. To early to call, just stay tuned.

They were predicting that last storm 7 days in advance. We're at 6 days for next Monday. I hope it's all just rain, lightning, and thunder!

FormerFloridian
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
The reason I like winter vs summer is that you can layer up and stay warm during winter, but you can only take so much off during the summer before getting arrested.

But..... Right about now, I wish I were lounging on a beach in Puerto Rico with a nice pina colada.

oknacreous
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
BTW, if you're heading to the northeast this weekend, it looks like there will be another blockbuster snowstorm for DC/Baltimore/Philly with 15-20" totals common, starting midday Friday and lasting through Saturday night.

PennyQuilts
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
BTW, if you're heading to the northeast this weekend, it looks like there will be another blockbuster snowstorm for DC/Baltimore/Philly with 15-20" totals common, starting midday Friday and lasting through Saturday night.

My Virginia neighbors are hunkering down and dang sick of it...

nik4411
02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
i'll take this over 98 and 80% humidity anyday. i love the summer, but the weather can be so opressive.

ultimatesooner
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I'll take 105 summer days over winter any time. all heat does is makes you sweat a little. its hurts when it is cold

ewoodard
02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
oknacreous, what are the chances of snow/sleet/ice on friday morning?

sacolton
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
For the love of God, make it stop!

oknacreous
02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
oknacreous, what are the chances of snow/sleet/ice on friday morning?

Looking quite unlikely at this time. Small chance of some wet snowflakes early Friday morning (maybe before sunrise) but temperatures look too warm for travel problems at the moment.

venture
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Been awhile since I've been able to comment. Nothing major, from the looks of it, for the next 10 days or so. Some rain here and there, but otherwise a nice boring time period for those wanting things not so exciting. If anything jumps out, I'll do a bit more in depth discussion. But for now...yawn.

OKCisOK4me
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Been awhile since I've been able to comment. Nothing major, from the looks of it, for the next 10 days or so. Some rain here and there, but otherwise a nice boring time period for those wanting things not so exciting. If anything jumps out, I'll do a bit more in depth discussion. But for now...yawn.

So which model are Rick Said It Would and staff looking at when they're predicting 4 inches of snow next Monday?

Andrew4OU
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Really? Hmm seems like both KOCO and KFOR are predicting another "winter storm" for Sunday-Monday.

adaniel
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
So which model are Rick Said It Would and staff looking at when they're predicting 4 inches of snow next Monday?

The one that gets weathermen really high ratings? :sofa:

OKCisOK4me
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
The one that gets weathermen really high ratings? :sofa:

I don't really like 5 but I like the weather team. I don't think they try to win the ratings...

kevinpate
02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
One real nice bennie from the Dec and January storms. Not it's like I have lakefront property and I dinna even have to pack up and move or anything.
:LolLolLol

venture
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Really? Hmm seems like both KOCO and KFOR are predicting another "winter storm" for Sunday-Monday.

I don't considering a few inches a snow storm. LOL

The the potential there for some precip at the end of the weekend, but I would like to see a bit more consistency with temps. Everything right now seems a bit too warm for me to get excited about any accumulations.

Uncle Slayton
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't considering a few inches a snow storm. LOL

The the potential there for some precip at the end of the weekend, but I would like to see a bit more consistency with temps. Everything right now seems a bit too warm for me to get excited about any accumulations.

A weather-phile colleague mentioned something called a "Rossby wave". WTH is that in relation to the projected 'storm'?

venture
02-04-2010, 01:43 AM
So everything between now and the 11th is pretty tame. Some snow tonight out west, but not world ending. This is going by the 00Z GFS tonight.

12th - Light to moderate amounts of snow possible this day. Ranging from 1-3 inches across the state.

16th - Some possible moderate snow here. Evening accumulations roughly 1-3" across the state, with higher amounts Central and South Central up to 5" possible.

That's about it. Storm track seems to go farther south towards the middle of the month. Indications also for the SE US storm season to get going too.

ewoodard
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Looking quite unlikely at this time. Small chance of some wet snowflakes early Friday morning (maybe before sunrise) but temperatures look too warm for travel problems at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

Read the rest of the posts and not real sure of what to make about Monday and Tuesday of next week. Any help would be appreciated.
I have wrestling tournaments and dual to drive to in central Okla.

oneforone
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I am tired of the snow and cold. Bring on Spring. I am ready for warm days, cool nights and green grass.

PennyQuilts
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
As a result of cabin fever, I drove to a quilt shop in Norman, today. That was one nasty, wet, yucky drive. There is standing water, everywhere.

I am also excited about spring coming. Won't be long.

venture
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Some accumulating snow for the area appears to be likely coming up. Higher chances out west, but we may get some here on Monday. Right now, it doesn't look like anything bad...maybe 1-3" the way it appears right now. GFS progs some heavy precip early monday, but temps are going to be too warm it appears to be completely snow.

This is *NOT* anything to get excited about yet.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/oun/fxc_Developing_Weather.jpg?timestamp=1265396027

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey V79, my coworker was telling me the other day that the NWS released their predictions for Summer weather and there was basically a bulls eye over Oklahoma for cool & wet. Do you think that implies a more stormy season? I hope so cause the last few years have been rather bland...

rod4soonrs
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
There's a Winter Storm Watch already up for sw Ks for Sunday morning to Monday afternoon. Panhandle isn't in it, so is it possible its more of a northern storm?

venture
02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
There's a Winter Storm Watch already up for sw Ks for Sunday morning to Monday afternoon. Panhandle isn't in it, so is it possible its more of a northern storm?

Does seem it will stay north of the border for the most part.

venture
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey V79, my coworker was telling me the other day that the NWS released their predictions for Summer weather and there was basically a bulls eye over Oklahoma for cool & wet. Do you think that implies a more stormy season? I hope so cause the last few years have been rather bland...

My bad for missing this!

Long term forecasts are a general guide on want to look forward to. These are the CPC forecasts coming up: Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php)

It does appear temps will be a bit below normal during Spring, while precip should be near average. Does this imply more severe weather or at least just more unsettle weather? Typically coming off of a strong El Nino, we will see a wetter spring. Our last strong El Nino was in the 1997-1998 season, and we did see a fairly active severe weather season. For 98-99 though we were in a moderate La Nina. The other year that may jump out is 2003, and going into that year we had a moderate El Nino.

So what does this all mean? Not really anything. LOL We do typically have more moisture in the region, so if all the other 4000 factors come into play, we could have a more active storm season than usual. I also like to fall back on, weather is based around a law of averages. Things will balance at at one point...down years in severe weather or a colder summer, will always be offset at some point.

westsidesooner
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
As tired as I am of all the cold weather, snow, ice, ice daming, ice covered truck and such it would be interesting to break the record for most snowfall in one season. In the Jan. weather discussion I posted that the record for OKC is 25.2. With the 12-13" we got in Dec. and the 6" we got with the last system we stand a pretty decent chance of breaking that. Lot of winter left.

Then again like I said I'm really ready for spring. The dafodils are about to bloom in our yard....it'd be ashamed to seem em get clobered by more snow.

I hope its an interesting spring........I'm sooooooo ready for a good thunderstorm.

Joe Daddy
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
i'll take this over 98 and 80% humidity anyday. i love the summer, but the weather can be so opressive.
Me too! This snow is killing me! Hope we are done for the year.

venture
02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
As tired as I am of all the cold weather, snow, ice, ice daming, ice covered truck and such it would be interesting to break the record for most snowfall in one season. In the Jan. weather discussion I posted that the record for OKC is 25.2. With the 12-13" we got in Dec. and the 6" we got with the last system we stand a pretty decent chance of breaking that. Lot of winter left.

Then again like I said I'm really ready for spring. The dafodils are about to bloom in our yard....it'd be ashamed to seem em get clobered by more snow.

I hope its an interesting spring........I'm sooooooo ready for a good thunderstorm.

I think back to those winters up north, with a good deal of snow and such...but the spring. If you are all about a green lawn, you better be worshiping this weather. This is helping put moisture back in the ground better than any heavy rain could.

We have about 5-6 inches to go to break the record I think, so plenty of time to make that up. It is kinda like that year with the tropical system over OK...when you are gong to break records - what was it...23 days of nonstop rain?...might as well make it big.

venture
02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Me too! This snow is killing me! Hope we are done for the year.

Unless I misunderstood, I took the comment to mean that winter weather is better than sweater our rears off and gasping for air because the humidity and heat is so oppressive.

Thunder
02-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Be prepared for Monday! Major storm on the way!

Andrew4OU
02-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Be prepared for Monday! Major storm on the way!

Major? Did something change between now and what venture said earlier?

sacolton
02-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Yup. This new storm is going to top the other two!

bandnerd
02-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Winter Storm Watch...not again...

OKCisOK4me
02-06-2010, 08:18 AM
My bad for missing this!

Long term forecasts are a general guide on want to look forward to. These are the CPC forecasts coming up: Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php)

It does appear temps will be a bit below normal during Spring, while precip should be near average. Does this imply more severe weather or at least just more unsettle weather? Typically coming off of a strong El Nino, we will see a wetter spring. Our last strong El Nino was in the 1997-1998 season, and we did see a fairly active severe weather season. For 98-99 though we were in a moderate La Nina. The other year that may jump out is 2003, and going into that year we had a moderate El Nino.

So what does this all mean? Not really anything. LOL We do typically have more moisture in the region, so if all the other 4000 factors come into play, we could have a more active storm season than usual. I also like to fall back on, weather is based around a law of averages. Things will balance at at one point...down years in severe weather or a colder summer, will always be offset at some point.

Thanks for the reply. Read it on my phone last night but didn't much feel like logging on--it's much slower than a computer!

I agree that there are many variables. Especially when you consider the fact that if 99 was a La Nina year and we had that horrible tornado, you never know.

I don't know if my memory is fading but I just don't remember very many active storm seasons the past few years and I'm hoping this advanced outlook will be an indicator of a great season--not tornado wise but just storm wise!

USG '60
02-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Is there a site for Oklahoma weather statistics?

venture
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
The watch text...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
345 AM CST SAT FEB 6 2010

OKZ018>020-022>030-033>036-038-061745-
/O.NEW.KOUN.WS.A.0002.100208T1200Z-100209T0000Z/
KINGFISHER-LOGAN-PAYNE-WA****A-CADDO-CANADIAN-OKLAHOMA-LINCOLN-
GRADY-MCCLAIN-CLEVELAND-POTTAWATOMIE-HARMON-GREER-KIOWA-JACKSON-
COMANCHE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KINGFISHER...GUTHRIE...STILLWATER...
CORDELL...ANADARKO...YUKON...EL RENO...MUSTANG...OKLAHOMA CITY...
CHANDLER...CHICKASHA...PURCELL...NORMAN...MOORE... SHAWNEE...
HOLLIS...MANGUM...HOBART...ALTUS...LAWTON
345 AM CST SAT FEB 6 2010

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON.

* TIMING: RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN MIXING WITH SNOW EARLY MONDAY AND
CHANGE TO ALL SNOW BY MONDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO
BE HEAVY AT TIMES MONDAY AFTERNOON AND THEN TAPER OFF MONDAY
EVENING.

* MAIN IMPACT: WIDESPREAD SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES WILL
BE POSSIBLE AND ISOLATED HIGHER TOTALS MAY OCCUR NEAR AND NORTH
OF INTERSTATE-40. THIS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON TRAVEL
AND COMMERCE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: NORTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE ON MONDAY...LEADING
TO SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. THIS MAY RESULT IN
WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS FOR A TIME MONDAY AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/oun/fxc_Hazardous_Weather_Outlook.jpg?timestamp=126545 7072

venture
02-06-2010, 10:35 AM
So basically here is the gist. We are going to have a fairly narrow window where we will see moderate to heavy snow. The amounts are not expected to be massive, but winds will be there this time. Models have been slowing the system down some, so that's allowing the timing to work out with the colder air getting further south. Like most systems, this isn't even on shore yet, so onces weather balloons are able to get readings, we'll see models get a better handle on things. Below are the upper air forecast soundings and the 6 hour precip accumulation maps. Please keep in mind that most areas in SC and SE OK will be all rain, so these are not 100% snow fall totals.

GFS...

Central OK is looking for a general 2-4" accumulation with this, but surface temps will be just above freezing. However, there is no layer of warm air above the surface (at least currently pointed out) that could raise havoc with precip types.

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/tmp/scratch/models/processing/GFS_3_2010020612_F54_35.5000N_97.5000W.png

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/GFS/SP/gfsSP_0_prec_54.gif

NAM...

Is a bit more aggressive with precip amounts in certain areas. It is also slightly colder.

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/tmp/scratch/models/processing/NAM_218_2010020612_F54_35.5000N_97.5000W.png

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/WRF/SP/wrfSP_0_prec_60.gif

westsidesooner
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I think back to those winters up north, with a good deal of snow and such...but the spring. If you are all about a green lawn, you better be worshiping this weather. This is helping put moisture back in the ground better than any heavy rain could.

We have about 5-6 inches to go to break the record I think, so plenty of time to make that up. It is kinda like that year with the tropical system over OK...when you are gong to break records - what was it...23 days of nonstop rain?...might as well make it big.

I meant to mention all the benefits of the moisture during the winter months. The fire season shouldn't be nearly as bad.....(if we have one at all) as it was last March and April. You know the floks in MWC and Choctaw have got to be thankful for that. I'll take a good snow over a firestorm anyday.

Funny how things change here from year to year. Last year we had tornadoes in the metro on Feb 10th, then the fires in April. Gotta love (or hate) Oklahoma for it's variety.

However if the snow keeps falling, and the ground stays white like it looks like it could for another week or two with some models calling for another good snow on Thursday Meteogram Generator (http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kokc) it's going to make it tough on the early blooming plants and even toughter to lay down some pre-emergent. I'm fully expecting weeds when the snow finally melts. Heck I still need to get the leaves outta the flower beds so the bulbs....which are just days from blooming look decent.

Really wonder what the spring storm season will be like....with all the soil moisture we shouldn't be as dependent on the gulf to get things going when/if it ever warms up.

OKCisOK4me
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I meant to mention all the benefits of the moisture during the winter months. The fire season shouldn't be nearly as bad.....(if we have one at all) as it was last March and April. You know the floks in MWC and Choctaw have got to be thankful for that. I'll take a good snow over a firestorm anyday.

Funny how things change here from year to year. Last year we had tornadoes in the metro on Feb 10th, then the fires in April. Gotta love (or hate) Oklahoma for it's variety.

However if the snow keeps falling, and the ground stays white like it looks like it could for another week or two with some models calling for another good snow on Thursday Meteogram Generator (http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kokc) it's going to make it tough on the early blooming plants and even toughter to lay down some pre-emergent. I'm fully expecting weeds when the snow finally melts. Heck I still need to get the leaves outta the flower beds so the bulbs....which are just days from blooming look decent.

Really wonder what the spring storm season will be like....with all the soil moisture we shouldn't be as dependent on the gulf to get things going when/if it ever warms up.

For the most part, I think I understand what you're saying...but not really...

Joe Daddy
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Unless I misunderstood, I took the comment to mean that winter weather is better than sweater our rears off and gasping for air because the humidity and heat is so oppressive.

You are right, lol! Brain fart on my part. I prefer to sweat myself. I came from a much more humid climate than here in OKC, so to me, the summers are quite pleasant and lower in humidity.