View Full Version : Would you let your daughter wear this prom dress?

Midtowner
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
http://nypost.com/photos/stylelede01242005.jpg

This prom dress is so skimpy, even the designer's CEO wouldn't let his teenage daughter wear it. But the dangerously revealing gown, prominently advertised in Seventeen Prom, YM Prom and Teen Prom, and on sale in a Midtown shop, is a top seller for the company this season.

"I was shocked when I first saw it, but now it's one of our top 20 dresses nationwide," says Nick Yeh, the CEO of Xcite, the Stafford, Texas, company that designed the dress and some 200 other styles this season.

"I have a 15-year-old daughter and, no, I would not recommend she wear this dress.

"As a businessman," he adds, "I'm not judging what a teenager should wear or not wear. It's up to the parents to decide for their own children."

In fact, some shops in smaller cities require girls to bring in parental permission slips to buy the dress, Yeh told The Post.

At Elite Designs, a formal shop in Midtown that has the barely-there gown on a mannequin, owner Surinder Nagpal says, "We've gotten a few calls about that dress. Originally, I wasn't going to stock [it], but my sales associate told me that girls would want it, so we're stocking it in black and red."

So far, says Helen Rodriguez, Nagpal's sales associate, no one has bought the $495 gown - but it just arrived.

"Our biggest sellers are still the traditional princess ball gowns, but sometimes a parent will come in with their daughter and will buy her whichever dress she wants," Rodriguez said.

"If my daughter had the body to wear it, I'd let her!"

It's too early to tell how many girls in New York City will buy the dress, but those who do may have a hard time getting through the prom door.

While it's up to individual school administrators to rule on prom fashions, the Board of Education maintains a disciplinary dress code that prohibits "wearing clothing or other items that are unsafe or disruptive to the educational process."

Lisa Maffei-Fuentes, principal of Christopher Columbus High School in The Bronx, bans "anything that resembles the famous [green Versace] J.Lo dress."

"I personally have to check every dress," says Maffei-Fuentes. "Breasts must be entirely covered and there should not be any cutouts in the bodice.

"On the night of the prom, we have chaperones at the entry looking at every dress. We also provide needle, thread and pins to close up holes and fix dresses to the appropriate length," she says.

"This is for their own protection. We're there to help them experience the prom as a wonderful, dignified evening."

Parents who saw pictures of the dress were shocked.

"It's absolutely too much," said Tal Mandler of Woodmere, Long Island, whose daughter, Dana, is 13. "It is very provocative and does not suit the occasion or the age."

"What happened to the rest of it?" wondered Hilda Salazar, whose 17-year-old daughter is a high school senior in Brooklyn.

Asked whether she'd allow her daughter to wear the dress to prom - or if she'd allow her 19-year-old son to date a girl who did - Salazar answered with a resounding no.

Students at Stuyvesant High School were just as appalled.

"Our school doesn't have a dress code, but I don't think any girls would wear that to prom," said senior Mary Zhang.

"How would you wear it, anyway? Double-sided tape doesn't last all night."

Senior Daniel Belu and junior Katie Hammond laughed out loud at the sight of it.

"I wouldn't want my girlfriend to wear this - at least not in public," Belu said.

"I don't think any girl would wear this to a prom. She'd step on her dress on the dance floor and everything would just fall out!"

Most of the students we spoke to were primarily concerned with practicalities. "You couldn't dance in that dress - actually, you couldn't do anything at all," says junior Vivian Healey.

"If you wore that to prom, you'd be falling out of it all night," says senior Angela Cho. "There's also hardly any material. I can't believe it costs $400. You could make it yourself if you really wanted to."

Other students expressed aesthetic concerns. "I don't think anyone would wear this to the prom. The dress looks kind of whore-ish," says junior Emma Herr.

"This dress would look great at a prom if the model in the picture wore it," says senior Vlaz Ermant, "but we don't have any girls like that at our school."

windowphobe
02-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I can imagine my daughter's response: "Oh, yeah, like I really want to go bounce all over the place all night."

Midtowner
02-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I have to assume that some kind of adhesive would need to be used with that piece of clothing.

Either that, or it's on backwards.

mranderson
02-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Let me see. Does my daughter work as a working girl at the Moonlight Bunny Ranch? No. If she did, then she could wear that dress to work.:bow:

Jay
02-16-2005, 08:04 PM
I think Oklahoma parents can rest easy. I think most schools in Oklahoma have a dress code for prom and this dress will clerly violate it. I remember my prom they told the students only certain attire would be allowed. Then at the door they had two faculty members and two police officers monitoring the door. The police where there to make sure nobody had been drinking before hand. The the teachers were there to check dress code.

One side note who in the world is desgining these dresses? Pedophiles. I can only imagine the next video advertised on late night tv. (Proms Gone Wild) This is definitely one sick world we are living in these days.

Midtowner
02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Actually, read the article.

The CEO of the company even says he wouldn't let his own daughter wear that particular dress.

He's just making money off the parents that will allow their kids to wear such "clothing".

Jay
02-16-2005, 10:32 PM
I have the read the article.....actually this story is about three weeks old.

Midtowner
02-17-2005, 07:00 AM
I have the read the article.....actually this story is about three weeks old.

But no less contraversial today than it was in late January ;)

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Um No.Actually even one of those over my dead body types of things.
DarlingDiva:poke:

Ivan Drago
02-17-2005, 07:25 PM
I have to assume that some kind of adhesive would need to be used with that piece of clothing.

Either that, or it's on backwards.

It's not on backwards. Here's a better picture of it:

http://img207.exs.cx/img207/3550/dress5ok.jpg

Midtowner
02-17-2005, 09:53 PM
"Must be over 18 to access this thread"

Ivan Drago
02-18-2005, 07:16 AM
"Must be over 18 to access this thread"
To read an article and look at pictures that were taken directly from the New York Post?

Keith
02-18-2005, 05:56 PM
No way!! Actually, it wouldn't worry me, because I know that she would not want to wear something like that anyway.

SoundMind
02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone who wants to wear that dress over to my house any evening has themselves a date!

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-21-2005, 12:22 AM
For some reason this reminds me of the Cameran Diaz kiddo...

Ms.Relaxationstation
02-23-2005, 12:28 AM
What dress??? LOL:LolLolLol

mranderson
02-23-2005, 06:44 AM

Good point.

Midtowner
02-23-2005, 11:41 AM

You know... if a parent is willing to spend the $500 this dress costs so their kid can look slutty.. I guess that's kind of an indictment on the family.

I dunno.. that's just my value system talking. Within their little world, such attire might be considered "normal" -- although, I'm not sure that such a little world exists. It would be interesting to see how many if any of these dresses actually sell.