View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 beta due out this summer

Midtowner
02-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Internet Explorer 7 beta due out this summer

2/15/2005 12:50:01 PM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

The summer of beta mania at Microsoft looks like it will be adding another public debut, this time in the form of Internet Explorer 7. At the annual RSA Conference today, "Chief Software Architect" Bill Gates said that a new version of Internet Explorer is coming down the pipe, but it won't be available to everyone. The next iteration, rather, will only be developed for Windows XP SP2. Thus sayeth the press release:

Building on those advancements, Gates announced Internet Explorer 7.0, designed to add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility that customers have come to expect. Internet Explorer 7.0 will also provide even stronger defenses against phishing, malicious software and spyware. The beta release is scheduled to be available this summer.

Tastier details could be found at the Internet Explorer Weblog on MSDN, where urgency is the mood of the day.

Why are we talking about it today? Because our customers and partners have asked us, with increasing urgency, what our plans are. We want to convey our intentions to our customers and partners clearly and in a timely way.

I've gotten questions about the ship date. Yes, we have a date in mind. I'll talk about the date after we get feedback from customers and partners. We're going to release a beta and listen, then refresh the beta and listen some more. We'll ship when the product is ready.

The blog also noted that Microsoft is listening to Windows 2000 customers and considering the technical aspects of the possibility of bringing IE7 to that OS. Windows 2000 is still more common than Windows XP in large corporate environments, but a new version of Internet Explorer could be the carrot needed to adorn the upgrade stick.

Aside from promising more security against malware, phishing, and other exploits, no additional details were announced. One presumes that the long-standing list of annoying bugs in IE will finally be addressed (CSS, transparent PNG, peekaboo, etc.), but will we see tabbed browsing or mouse gestures? Few know for certain, and they're not talking. We don't expect any major interface changes, however.

The announcement is the culmination of Microsoft's reversal of views on Internet Explorer. The company was once adamant that there would be no significant changes to IE before the introduction of Longhorn, but those promises were made at a time when the company thought Longhorn would already be finished by now. Last summer Microsoft surprised everyone by reconvening the Internet Explorer team, and we've already seen some of the fruits of their labors in the form of the minor enhancements that came with SP2, e.g., pop-up blocking.

In related news, Gates also announced that Windows Antispyware will be free for use, and updates will additionally remain free.

mranderson
02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
It sounds good. I will add it as soon as it comes out.

Midtowner
02-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm a Firefox user myself, but will definitely see what IE 7 has to offer. I didn't think that 6 was a huge step past 5. I'll definitely take a wait and see approach here. My Firefox with the extensions I have installed will be tough to beat though.

Luke
02-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I use Firefox as well. Microsoft (wisely) stopped production of IE for OS X since Apple introduced Safari and speedy Firefox has been released.

windowphobe
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I haven't installed XP SP2 on my notebook, and my desktop is still running 98SE, so no IE 7 for me, thank you very much, Mr. Gates.

MasterWolf
03-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, I too use FireFox, and have been very pleased with the pop up stopping compared to the Internet Explorer. But , to tell the truth, I still use IE. I cant wait to see if this 7.0 comes out and does what they say it will do. Me, I dont think it will, I havent been too happy with IE for quite awhile. IE is pretty much a standard nowadays. Other people still use other clients such as Opera, FireFox, Etc... But the majority still use IE, which in my opinion, will still be more prone to hacker attacks and whatnot.

Midtowner
03-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, I too use FireFox, and have been very pleased with the pop up stopping compared to the Internet Explorer. But , to tell the truth, I still use IE. I cant wait to see if this 7.0 comes out and does what they say it will do. Me, I dont think it will, I havent been too happy with IE for quite awhile. IE is pretty much a standard nowadays. Other people still use other clients such as Opera, FireFox, Etc... But the majority still use IE, which in my opinion, will still be more prone to hacker attacks and whatnot.

The thing about firefox is not that it is necessarily less vulnerable, it is that the users are more frequently tech-savvy, and there are less of them. Were I a hacker, I'd definitely be targetting the largest and easiest to hit group as well. It just makes sense.

Also, Adblock is the best thing since Jesus.