View Full Version : Red Earth Museum & Shop

betts
01-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Red Earth prepares to open museum, shop downtown Oklahoma City

BY STEVE LACKMEYER The Oklahoman

Published: January 26, 2010

The Red Earth Festival is no stranger to downtown Oklahoma City, but the organization’s collection has never strayed from the building now known as the home of the Science Museum Oklahoma.

Michael Scroggins, spokesman for the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority, admits Santa Fe Plaza falls short in being a good place for retail and business to flourish. The space that is becoming home to the Red Earth Museum was previously a tanning salon. The Santa Fe Plaza has seen at least two other tenants come and go within the last couple of years. The retail plaza hasn't undergone a makeover since it was built in 1971 and includes no signage other than what tenants hang over their storefronts. Scroggins said COTPA is working with its engineer, TetraTech, to come up with a façade renovation and it may also include better signage visible to the street.

“It's needing some work — we know that,” Scroggins said. In the meantime, the addition of Red Earth gives the plaza its best line-up of tenants in years with others including Puzzle's restaurant, the UCO Small Business Development Center, Vicki's salon and soon a convenience store.
Jane Jenkins, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., thinks the addition of Red Earth will help create momentum at Santa Fe Plaza.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/red-earth-prepares-to-open-museum-shop-downtown/article/3434719?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0diEUTlz g)

PennyQuilts
01-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Fantastic! I have never been to the Red Earth Festival but it has been on my short list of things I wanted to attend once I got back home. I will check out the place once they get it set up. Thanks for the heads up.

CuatrodeMayo
01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
NewsOK's comment sections are always so entertaining...

warreng88
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Although I am excited this is coming to the Santa Fe Plaza, I am still frustrated that the International Photography Hall of Fame left for St Louis when they could have easily been put in the same plaza. I think having both of those in the same area might have drawn more retail. JMHO.

CuatrodeMayo
01-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Also, good luck using the Chase Towe...uh...Cotter Ranch Tower plaza. He's the reason there is no grand entrance to the Underground.

Kerry
01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
It is things like this and IPHF that led to the formation of the original MAPS. Sure we lost IPHF but maybe with an actual Arts district we can keep others from leaving and maybe even land a few new ones. Maybe if MAPS had come 5 years earlier the IPHF would be located in the Arts District now, instead of St. Louis (a move they will regret in 5 years)

kevinpate
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
nice.

Steve
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Are you sure IPHF is lost to St. Louis?

warreng88
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Are you sure IPHF is lost to St. Louis?

I thought it was a done deal... what are you hearing Steve?

OkcMetal
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
And maybe they will hire actual Native Americans. It sucks that here in Oklahoma, if you want to see Native art or anything Native American, you have to go to a place staffed by white people. Its like going to an Asian restaurant, and all the employees are Irish..

PennyQuilts
01-26-2010, 02:41 PM
And maybe they will hire actual Native Americans. It sucks that here in Oklahoma, if you want to see Native art or anything Native American, you have to go to a place staffed by white people. Its like going to an Asian restaurant, and all the employees are Irish..

Yeah - the red headed bastards!! :numchucks:dizzy:

khook
01-26-2010, 02:47 PM
the other question that needs to be answered is what is the Oklahoma Science museum going to do with all the vacated space? And all the other excess space they have in the building right now?

ssandedoc
01-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Although I am excited this is coming to the Santa Fe Plaza, I am still frustrated that the International Photography Hall of Fame left for St Louis when they could have easily been put in the same plaza. I think having both of those in the same area might have drawn more retail. JMHO.

International Photography Hall of Fame is pretty dysfunctional. They have moved from the Science Museum, where they are storing everything I don't know.

There board is a mess and the current president is from Missouri/St. Louis ala the reasoning for the move.

Steve
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
They've not moved, they only closed up their exhibit at the Science Museum. I've been told their stuff is still in storage in OKC and the St. Louis project is bust.

ssandedoc
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
The whole organization is a bust, pretty sad.

If they could figure out a sustainable vision and recruit a board in line with that vision, they would be successful.

goinhikin
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Steve you're exactly correct. They have several people sorting and cataloging their collection in a storage area at SMO. The deal in St. Louis has fallen through. The last I heard Tulsa was courting them (I think Kaiser may have offered some space). They are still looking for space in OKC, but need it free or very cheap.

Kerry
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Well hells bells - how cheap do they need it? It isn't like space in Oklahoma City is going for a premium. Surely there is somewhere that could house it.

Kerry
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
They've not moved, they only closed up their exhibit at the Science Museum. I've been told their stuff is still in storage in OKC and the St. Louis project is bust.

It seems the development they were going to relocate to didn't materialize. The last event on their calendar was March 20, 2009.

Chouteau's Landing | Latest News | Events (http://www.chouteauslanding.com/news/category/events/)

ssandedoc
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
the other question that needs to be answered is what is the Oklahoma Science museum going to do with all the vacated space? And all the other excess space they have in the building right now?

By the way, the IPHOF closed its doors in May 2009. Science Museum has filled this space with a rotating art exhibit. In fact, if you have time the art exhibits that are being done are pretty top notch by their new art curator.