View Full Version : 10 Albums I Would Take to a Desert Island

skyrick
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Six months ago or six months from now these selections might be very different. Today, in no particular order, my choices would be:

1. Revolver - Beatles
2. American Beauty - Grateful Dead
3. Stone Roses - Stone Roses
4. Electric Ladyland - Hendrix
5. At Carnegie Hall 1938 - Benny Goodman
6. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
7. Kiko - Los Lobos
8. Symphony # 9, Deutsche Grammophon version - L van Beethoven
9. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
10. Take It From The Man - Brian Jonestown Massacre

Rick

gen70
01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Six months ago or six months from now these selections might be very different. Today, in no particular order, my choices would be:

1. Revolver - Beatles
7. Kiko - Los Lobos

Rick Good choice. I could live on that island. I'll get back with my top ten.

gen70
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
1. Electric Ladyland..JH
2. Band of Gypsies..JH
3. Exile on Mainstreet..Stones
4. White Album..Beatles
5. The Worst of Jefferson Airplane..JA
6. Happy Trails..Quicksilver Messenger Service
7. Let it Bleed..RS
8. Mars Hotel..Grateful Dead
9. Blood on the Tracks..Bob Dylan
10. Any Hank Williams Sr.
Man...I could hunt coconuts and fish to those tunes for a very long time. (Peace)

skyrick
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
1. Electric Ladyland..JH
2. Band of Gypsies..JH
3. Exile on Mainstreet..Stones
4. White Album..Beatles
5. The Worst of Jefferson Airplane..JA
6. Happy Trails..Quicksilver Messenger Service
7. Let it Bleed..RS
8. Mars Hotel..Grateful Dead
9. Blood on the Tracks..Bob Dylan
10. Any Hank Williams Sr.
Man...I could hunt coconuts and fish to those tunes for a very long time. (Peace)

Saw your Exiles (excellent album, best sax solo ever, "Rip This Joint") and realized there were no Stones on my list. If not Exiles, then Beggar's Banquet.

gen70
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Saw your Exiles (excellent album, best sax solo ever, "Rip This Joint") and realized there were no Stones on my list. If not Exiles, then Beggar's Banquet. "Beggar's Banquet" excellent choice. I wouldn't mind if Europe 72-GD washed ashore either.

gen70
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
When I'am on the island I also like to listen to: The Kinks, The Doors, Leon Russell, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, The Byrds, Canned Heat, U2, Eric Clapton, The Creem, The James Gang, Neil Young, Johnny Winters, Traffic, The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield, Jimmy Buffett, David Allen Coe, Led Zep, BB King, Muddy Waters, Howl'n Wolf, Steppenwolf, The Beach Boys, The Clash, The Talking Heads, Janis Joplin, Garth Brooks(forgive me), Waylan Jennings, Vassar Clemetts, Hank Williams Jr., Frank Zappa, Crosby Stills Nash and (sometimes Young), Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokum, Buck Owens, Porter Wagner, Keith Richards, Jerry Garcia, The Band, Grand Funk RR, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Four Tops, The Temtations, Eric Burton, The Momma's and the Poppa's, Donovan, Arlo Guthrie, Woody Guthrie, Alvin Crow, Ray Wylee Hubbard, It's A Beautiful Day, Earl Thomas Conley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Patsey Cline, and some others.

skyrick
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
When I'am on the island I also like to listen to: The Kinks, The Doors, Leon Russell, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, The Byrds, Canned Heat, U2, Eric Clapton, The Creem, The James Gang, Neil Young, Johnny Winters, Traffic, The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield, Jimmy Buffett, David Allen Coe, Led Zep, BB King, Muddy Waters, Howl'n Wolf, Steppenwolf, The Beach Boys, The Clash, The Talking Heads, Janis Joplin, Garth Brooks(forgive me), Waylan Jennings, Vassar Clemetts, Hank Williams Jr., Frank Zappa, Crosby Stills Nash and (sometimes Young), Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokum, Buck Owens, Porter Wagner, Keith Richards, Jerry Garcia, The Band, Grand Funk RR, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Four Tops, The Temtations, Eric Burton, The Momma's and the Poppa's, Donovan, Arlo Guthrie, Woody Guthrie, Alvin Crow, Ray Wylee Hubbard, It's A Beautiful Day, Earl Thomas Conley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Patsey Cline, and some others.

Sounds like a decent list; where you go towards country I veer towards jazz though. Good music is just good music.

gen70
01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a decent list; where you go towards country I veer towards jazz though. Good music is just good music.

" My country" is is listed. I never could figure out Jazz. Miles Davis? "Good Music Is Good Music." ( I Agree)

decepticobra
01-23-2010, 07:18 AM

damn, thats a big ole island

circled9
01-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I would cheat a little and take:

Tom Pettys Greatest Hits
Don Henleys Greatest Hits
Beatles Greatest Hits
Sades Greatest Hits (New CD Coming Out Next Month)
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Bob Segers Greatest Hits
Long Road out of Eden (Last one from the Eagles)
Hank Seniors Greatest Hits
Johnny Cash Live at Folsolm Prison

skyrick
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
" My country" is is listed. I never could figure out Jazz. Miles Davis? "Good Music Is Good Music." ( I Agree)

I've got some Miles, but he's not my favorite jazz artist. I lean more toward the great sax players like Charlie "Bird" Parker, Lester "the President" Young, and Dexter Gordon. I have about six albums (78rpm, 4 records to an "album") of Norman Granz' 13 volume "Jazz at the Philharmonic" set. These were recorded live in the late '40s... just some incredible jamming.

Rick

skyrick
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I would cheat a little and take:

Tom Pettys Greatest Hits
Don Henleys Greatest Hits
Beatles Greatest Hits
Sades Greatest Hits (New CD Coming Out Next Month)
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Bob Segers Greatest Hits
Long Road out of Eden (Last one from the Eagles)
Hank Seniors Greatest Hits
Johnny Cash Live at Folsolm Prison

Oh yeah, there's definitely room for you on the island, huh Gen70?

circled9
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
The island is simply going to have to get bigger. After looking at my list, it was depressing to note that i would never be able to hear Francis Albert Sinatra again, CCR, the Guess Who, Heart, Tony Bennet, Annie Lennox, Elton John, Journey, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle,Garth, etc, etc, etc.

My day is now ruined and its only noon.

gen70
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh yeah, there's definitely room for you on the island, huh Gen70? 10-Roger that!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM
1. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
2. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
3. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
4. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
5. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
6. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
7. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
8. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
9. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps
10. Biz Markie: The Biz Never Sleeps

stratosphere
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
can i just fill up my ipod instead? 10 albums wouldn't last long...

skyrick
01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
can i just fill up my ipod instead? 10 albums wouldn't last long...

Only if you have a docking station for the ipod, so we can listen too!

mooshie
01-23-2010, 09:20 PM
The last 10 "Now That's What I call music: Volume #"

stratosphere
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Only if you have a docking station for the ipod, so we can listen too!

sure thing, there better be plenty of booze on that island too :bright_id

gen70
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
sure thing, there better be plenty of booze on that island too :bright_id

If there's not we'll make our own.

citizenkane
01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Here are my top 10 in no particular order:

1. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
2. Fun House - The Stooges
3. The Flowers Of Romance - Public Image Ltd.
4. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
5. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart
6. Doolittle - The Pixies
7. White Blood Cells - The White Stripes
8. Blank Generation - Richard Hell & The Voidoids
9. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
10. London Calling - The Clash

gen70
01-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Very interesting top 10 there citizenkane.

sam greenroyd
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Just about any Rolling Stones, Ten Years After, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Beatles, Robert Cray, Eagles, Moody Blues, James Gang Rides again.

trousers
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM

As far as the Pixies go I would hate to pick any single one, my favorite changes from month to month. Been listening to Bossanova lately, Cecilia Ann is one of my favorite opening tracks for any album.

trousers
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM

1. Revolver - Beatles
7. Kiko - Los Lobos

Rick
Good call with Take it from the Man, really good album. The newest stuff from BJM, not so great.

skyrick
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Just about any Rolling Stones, Ten Years After, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Beatles, Robert Cray, Eagles, Moody Blues, James Gang Rides again.

It's about time someone mentioned TYA! I must have seen them 4 or 5 different times in concert at the Fairgrounds Arena in the 70s! Best lineup: Robin Trower opening, followed by King Crimson, with Alvin Lee & co. closing!

Rick

gen70
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
It's about time someone mentioned TYA! I must have seen them 4 or 5 different times in concert at the Fairgrounds Arena in the 70s! Best lineup: Robin Trower opening, followed by King Crimson, with Alvin Lee & co. closing!

Rick Hate that I missed that one. I dig some T.Y.A, K.C, and A.L. I wonder what happened to A.L?

sam greenroyd
01-29-2010, 08:39 AM

Rick

Not many people can say there music will still be around like these groups in 40 years. (Amen)

stick47
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
A lot already mentioned plus

The Best of:

Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Dr John
John Mayall
JJ Cale
Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys
Eric Clapton
The Who