View Full Version : Podiatrist kills wife/himself

Patrick
02-15-2005, 01:57 AM
I couldn't believe it either. That's what everyone said, including myself. Sunday, Dr. Doug Sowell, a Podiatrist in OKC, who practiced out of Deaconess, murdered his wife and then shot and killed himself. When I worked at Deaconess a few years ago, I actually worked with Dr. Sowell in the Wound Care clinic. He was a great man, one of the best podiatrists in the state. He was a very nice, gentle-hearted man. I was shocked to hear this report today. I guess it goes to show you that anyone can allow their anger to get out of control. Knowing Dr. Sowell, he probably acted in anger, and then, realizing what he had done, felt so guilty about it, he turned the gun on himself. Funny thing is, I never knew this man to be angry. I guess it goes to show you that someone can act completely different at work than they do at home.

Still, it's a sad story.

------------------------
"Edmond Police Identify Victims Of Apparent Murder-Suicide

Police Say Man, Woman Likely Died On Sunday

EDMOND, Okla. -- Edmond police said Monday that they have identified the victims of an apparent murder-suicide.

Dr. Doug Sowell, 55, and his wife, 54-year-old Linda Sowell, were both found dead Monday in their northeast Edmond home. Police said the husband and wife, who had been married for more than 30 years, were both found dead of gunshot wounds.

Investigators have no motive in the shootings, which are thought to have happened on Sunday. Neighbors told police that they noticed no signs of foul play until officers arrived to investigate.

Jean Dunn, who lived near the Sowells, said she knew the couple for 17 years and never had any reason to believe there was anything wrong. However, Dunn said she knew something wasn't right when one of her neighbor's relatives knocked on her door Monday and asked her if she had seen them.

"I said, 'It's strange … her car's been out all night,'" Dunn said. "It's never been left out all night."

Dunn said she last saw the couple on Saturday and didn't notice any suspicious behavior.

"I saw her come home," Dunn said. "A few minutes later, he came around the front of the house and put the garage door down."

Police spokeswoman Glynda Chu said police found the couple early on Monday morning.

"It looks like the man had shot his wife, then shot himself," Chu said.

Friends and neighbors said they are shocked that the couple, whom they described as quiet, never mentioned any problems.

Chu said police might never know the reason behind the couple's deaths but plan to continue their investigation."