View Full Version : Former Texas Tech star Graham Harrell joining coaching staff at Oklahoma State

Dustin
01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
HAHAHA Oh my gosh this is funny!.. Tech fans are so pissed!!

BY BRANDON CHATMON, Staff Writer, bchatmon@opubco.com The Oklahoman Comments Comment on this article15
Published: January 21, 2010

STILLWATER — Brandon Weeden and the rest of the quarterbacks in the competition to become Oklahoma State's starting quarterback have a new mentor: Former record-setting Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell.

Harrell will join fellow former Red Raider Brandon Jones as additions to the Oklahoma State coaching staff. Harrell and Jones will assume quality control roles with the Cowboys.

New OSU offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen confirmed he would be bringing the duo with him to Stillwater during a Thursday teleconference with the media.

Holgorsen also confirmed he would be calling the plays for the Cowboys, stating: "I left Texas Tech for one reason: To go call the plays. I've done that for two years. I doubt I'd be real excited about giving that up."

During his two-year stint calling plays at Houston, Holgorsen was been the mastermind behind a Cougar offense that ranked No. 1 in passing offense (433.71 yards per game), No. 1 in total offense (563.36 yards per game) and No. 1 in scoring offense (42.21 points per game) in 2009.

The Cougars finished No. 83 in rushing offense (129.64 yards per game) but Holgorsen said his offense will be focuses on getting guys touches, pointing to the fact Texas Tech had three all-conference running backs and Houston had two freshmen of the year playing running back in his system.

"It's all about touches," said Holgorsen, who was mentored by Mike Leach at Texas Tech. "You have a variety of runs, of screens, of passes. It's all about the play you call. Some games, if it's working we are going to run the ball more. But I'm not going to keep calling runs if we keep losing yards."

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/former-tech-qb-harrell-joins-osu-staff/article/3433678#ixzz0dHwThGdQ)

mugofbeer
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
With what's going on at Tech, I don't think this will matter that much to them. They have their own problems and will have more once Leach files his wrongful termination suit - or gets paid many millions (a la Conan) to just go away.

so1rfan
01-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Why would Tech fans be pissed that a former player that couldn't make it in the NFL is going to be a "quality control" mentor at another school? I'd say "So what?"