View Full Version : SI's Chris Ballard paints a rather unflattering portrait of OKC

Pages : [1] 2

betts
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Here's the article I was really excited about reading in SI this week. I wonder just how much of OKC he really saw.

Showing he's more than a scoring machine, Kevin Durant has - 01.25.10 - SI Vault (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1165052/1/index.htm)

On most mornings Kevin Durant, the best NBA player most people never get to see, drives his extralong conversion van 10 minutes from his house in the suburbs of Oklahoma City to the Thunder's practice facility, which if not technically in the middle of nowhere is at least on its outskirts. He passes sagging power lines and idle oil derricks and vast fields of brittle yellow grass pocked with snow before turning onto a two-lane road and, just past the John Deere factory, pulling into the parking lot of the practice center, a converted roller rink. Unfolding his 6'9" frame from the van, Durant ambles past the odd rabbit lounging in the shrubbery and enters the gym for another day of work, all the while engulfed by the scent of ... well, what is that exactly?

"Dog food," says Durant. "And it stinks, man; it really stinks." As it turns out, there is a hulking Purina plant just down the road, churning out untold tons of pet chow weekly, but Durant takes the, um, ambience in stride, just as he does many other not-so-glamorous elements of playing in the smallest market in the NBA. These include the weather (cold), the nightlife (hello, Denny's!) and the TV exposure (two national appearances this season, or 27 fewer than the Cavaliers), all of which are supposed to be of great importance to NBA players, who are commonly envisioned as a flock of 7-foot homing pigeons all hatched in the same sweaty South Beach nightclub. But Durant claims not to mind. He says that he "loves it here," and once you spend some time around him, it becomes clear that he is not only sincere but also talking as much about the franchise as the city itself.

This is not to say that the jokes don't get old. Like last week, when Durant and a few teammates were at a mall in Dallas and a man walked up to the group, which was outfitted in matching gray Thunder sweat suits, and said, "Oklahoma City—is that a semipro team?" and then started giggling. Last year, when the Thunder began a Nets-like 3--29, such a crack would have at least made sense. This year, however, it merely betrayed ignorance, for the Thunder are not only respectable but also on the verge of being downright good. Despite a nine-man rotation that could be described as the March Madness Traveling All-Stars (average age 23) Oklahoma City finished the week with a 22--18 record, just behind eighth-place Houston in the ultracompetitive Western Conference.

kevinpate
01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Good article on KD, typical nonsensical slaps at OKC to lead it off and close it.
Oh well, can't get too angry at the author. I used to do stupid stuff with little reason now and again.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I like how people can make a justified perception of the city in the hours or maybe even day that theyre here

LakeEffect
01-19-2010, 07:03 PM
I've never heard of a John Deere factory here... Am I just uninformed?

betts
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Probably thought the reference went with the ambiance he was trying to create.

dcsooner
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Folks
Why is it that we must DENY anything that is harsh but TRUE? OKC is on the rise but these portrayals are factual today. That factory does smell. It is well known that OKC has huge open areas mostly attributed to unbridled outward expansion in an attempt to become a large city. The city is not densely populated. Please lets stop being in denial. We are now receiving national exposure, BUT with that comes exposure to our warts. Let's continue the renissance of working towards improving the quality of life in all areas to include entertainment, shopping, etc, but stop the denial and defensiveness when the truth is told

PennyQuilts
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
The irritiation is less about exposing the city's underbelly than the focus upon the negative while ignoring the good. It is like a teenager dwelling on her rival's zits instead of fairly dealing with the whole person. This guy was accurate about a lot he described. But that doesn't mean he gave an accurate portrayal of the city.

kevinpate
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
It's not a matter of denial. The lead in to a rather decent article on KD fit about as well as if a business journal had opened with the dismal record of the team early in the first season, then switched to the main article focus, how Devon gave OKC something to look forward to, what with its honking new nice downtown office complex and how the TIF was handled.

Just wasn't necessary, accurate or otherwise, some piddling connection notwithstanding.

dcsooner
01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
It's not a matter of denial. The lead in to a rather decent article on KD fit about as well as if a business journal had opened with the dismal record of the team early in the first season, then switched to the main article focus, how Devon gave OKC something to look forward to, what with its honking new nice downtown office complex and how the TIF was handled.

Just wasn't necessary, accurate or otherwise, some piddling connection notwithstanding.

KP,
I agree the dig at OKC was misplaced in the context of the article, BUT, let us not go into panic mode just because some writer elsewhere, probably disgruntled by the move choses to focus on our negatives. OKC is changing, and we know that, these mean spirited, subtle attacks serve only to make me support my State, City and Team even more.

betts
01-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Folks
Why is it that we must DENY anything that is harsh but TRUE? OKC is on the rise but these portrayals are factual today. That factory does smell. It is well known that OKC has huge open areas mostly attributed to unbridled outward expansion in an attempt to become a large city. The city is not densely populated. Please lets stop being in denial. We are now receiving national exposure, BUT with that comes exposure to our warts. Let's continue the renissance of working towards improving the quality of life in all areas to include entertainment, shopping, etc, but stop the denial and defensiveness when the truth is told

I don't mind a few warts being exposed. However, there is no mention that the "converted skating rink" is a temporary home while we're building our new multi-million dollar practice facility. No mention of the fact that he's in a kind of no-man's land between OKC and Edmond. And, really.....Denny's is our only dining option???? When we've got great restaurants all over town, some of which are as good as the one's you'll find in the "really big cities". I think the first few paragraphs are about as negative as anything I've read about OKC in a long time.

EBAH
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I still wish they were building the practice center in city proper, or even Edmond proper. I do think they get a pretty weird, isolated, experience of the city (aside from a few marketing and charity appearances here and there). I mean they "go to work" in a part of town that is pretty far flung. I mean, if I worked out there, I'd feel a little isolated. All in all, the remarks are expected, and, I agree, somewhat valid. I just think that they might be different if the players and writers actually spent time in the city proper when they are writing these articles, instead of driving in for a game (or to meet with corporate I guess) and driving back to semi rural edmond as soon as they're done.

soonerguru
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I have seen nothing in that article that is not accurate. This city has a lot of problems that 100 years of poor planning have created. People would love to remain in denial about them, but they're there and they're obvious to anyone who has lived elsewhere.

Do you think Durant had to smell fetid dog food in Austin? Hell no. He does here. The ruling class in OKC thinks it's fashionable to live in Edmond, where the wind whips the smell of Purina in your direction.

I was there just a couple of months ago and the smell of dog food was unbelievable. Perhaps people who live there are used to it, but it is noticeable and unpleasant.

This city is spread out. The "hip" areas are few and far between spaced out miles apart from each other.

There are literally blocks and blocks of vacant space and rundown buildings surrounding our urban core.

We may have more fast food restaurants per capita than any city on earth.

Yes, this is not utopia. We actually have more problems that were not even addressed in that article.

All of this is not to say this is a bad place to live. It's not. But it's no utopia.

We have work to do, OKC.

betts
01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, of course we have work to do. But again, sorry, but soonerguru, are you dining at Denny's because there are no other options? I could write an article about virtually every NBA city that is equally unflattering if I pick a couple of square blocks to describe.

That author is either a Sonics' fan with a bone to pick, or he's an urban snob.

ljbab728
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Do you think Durant had to smell fetid dog food in Austin? Hell no. He does here. The ruling class in OKC thinks it's fashionable to live in Edmond, where the wind whips the smell of Purina in your direction.

All of this is not to say this is a bad place to live. It's not. But it's no utopia.

We have work to do, OKC.

I agree Betts. I'm not sure what soonerguru means by "fetid". Do you mean it's spoiled? I'm not saying the smell is pleasant but that that word emplies something that doesn't apply.

No one suggets that OKC is utopia or that we don't have work to do, but that an article that emphasizes the negative is unfair and biased. I mean, really, talking about brown grass with snow is ridiculous in the middle of winter. How many NBA cities don't have that?

Thundercitizen
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
No need for self-deprecation, the article was clearly slanted and the author had an agenda. It's as simple as that. Balance? There was none to been read. As we're keenly aware, OKC has an image problem...this article is part of that problem. No panic here, but in order to battle bias, stereotyping, and prejudice, you got to recognize it when it happens...call it out.

The author wants KD out of OKC and into a large market. There's more money to be made by writing about professional athletes in markets where readership is potentially much larger than here.

Who of us thinks OKC is a utopia? Correct, none. That's why we're so cognizant of the need for MAPS 3, etc.

Okay, I feel a little better.

fuzzytoad
01-20-2010, 06:20 AM
wow, over 5 hours for someone to suggest that MAPS 3 will fix everything

benman
01-20-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree Betts. I'm not sure what soonerguru means by "fetid". Do you mean it's spoiled? I'm not saying the smell is pleasant but that that word emplies something that doesn't apply.

No one suggets that OKC is utopia or that we don't have work to do, but that an article that emphasizes the negative is unfair and biased. I mean, really, talking about brown grass with snow is ridiculous in the middle of winter. How many NBA cities don't have that?

haha no kidding. I can only think of Miami, LA, and maybe Houston that dont have cold winters and dead grass. And our winters usually arent that cold. Heck, its been around 60 degrees all week and its the middle January. For some reason people think Oklahoma is like Siberia in the winter. The Oklahoma I know is hotter than hell in the summer and usually pretty mild in the winter. I think the weather is great, but maybe Im crazy.

adaniel
01-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Well, of course we have work to do. But again, sorry, but soonerguru, are you dining at Denny's because there are no other options? I could write an article about virtually every NBA city that is equally unflattering if I pick a couple of square blocks to describe.

My thoughts exactly....

Since Mr. Ballard wrote this article about OKC, I fully expect him to write on the weak state of the Houston Rockets....and rip the city's stinking refineries and choking air pollution in the process.

Or the weak attendance of the Sacramento Kings due to that city's surging foreclosure rate.

See how easy it is....any idiot could write an article like this. I'll be the first to admit that OKC's image needs some work. Just this weekend my parents were in town and I was cringing at all the grime and dirt left over from the snowstorm. So how does some backhanded article help anyone, except to tickle the fancy of some snobs laughing at flyover country hokiness.

If he wanted to comment on the area's dismal state of roads on the way to the practice facility, I would actually be more sympathetic, becuase thats a real problem in this area. But writing up about a Denny's or a stinky dog food plant just shows me this guy's got an agenda. Becuase every city he's ever been to smells like roses and has 5 star cuisine on every corner.

benman
01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

haha no kidding. I can only think of Miami, LA, and maybe Houston that dont have cold winters and dead grass. And our winters usually arent that cold. Heck, its been around 60 degrees all week and its the middle January. For some reason people think Oklahoma is like Siberia in the winter. The Oklahoma I know is hotter than hell in the summer and usually pretty mild in the winter. I think the weather is great, but maybe Im crazy.

Richard at Remax
01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Did Memphis recieve this much flack when they moved from Vancouver?

ImTheDude
01-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I've never heard of a John Deere factory here... Am I just uninformed?

Its a John Deer Landscaping/Nursery

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
LOL - I guess NYC doesn't have refineries and other factories that stink. I guess LA doesn't either. NYC subways DO smell like lilac's in the summertime, don't they. And let's not forget those well-tended alleyways all over the NYC, Philly and Cleveland metros. Hey, Detroit's downtown is a super place to hang out at night. Good God, what a load of garbage.

oneforone
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
We need to drop this high school mentality of "We Must Be Popular or We Will Die"

No matter what city you are in, you can always find a downside and something to laugh at. I watched Dirty Jobs last night. Mike Rowe was chasing stray chickens on the streets of Miami, Florida of all places. They have a group of city employees that roam the city chasing stray chickens.

How funny is that in trendy Miami of all places?

We need to have a who cares attitude when it comes to articles like this. They can laugh at us from their home office. While we laugh at them for paying $1800 a month for one bedroom apartment.

I am sure the Thunder players are enjoying the low cost of living here. A million dollar home in OKC probably makes a million dollar home in Seattle, LA or New York look like a cottage. Not to mention the players are allowed to blend in society. The most they will hear fan is "Are you with the Thunder? Glad to have you, here. Have a good day, I will let you get back to your business.

Thundercitizen
01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
wow, over 5 hours for someone to suggest that MAPS 3 will fix everythingPlease re-read the post:
"...etc."

ddavidson8
01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
We may have more fast food restaurants per capita than any city on earth.

Never been to Houston huh?

oneforone
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
The fast food argument is a tired one. My military career took me all over the country and all over the world. Every city I have been in has just many fast food places as Oklahoma City (if not more).

Fast Food is popular anywhere pepople gather. What I think is funny is the people that turn their noses up at fast food are in the drive thru line just as much as the rest of us.

MikeOKC
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I find it interesting that a couple of Seattle columnists have done mea culpas since the team's been here. It's because their perception of the city was shattered after making multiple trips during and after the team's move. When these magazine reporters or freelancers come in for a day or two and only go to certain places, they get a skewed perspective. Betts is right, the Denny's quip is not just misleading, it's a flat-out lie. It's one thing to battle real problems without having to answer to total fabrications.

OKCisOK4me
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
And in regards to the Purina plant. That smell dissipates over the distances that it travels through the air. Not all people in Edmond smell it. Trust me. I grew up there.

And it's not like he has to get acquainted with the smell for much longer. I used to work at Bob Howard Nissan & half of the year it was the Purina plant, the other half, Sara Lee. They don't have it that bad...

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Never been to Houston huh?

I read it somewhere and Steve L. posted the backup a while back on another thread.

dismayed
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM

I think they key words were late night dining options.

dismayed
01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I find it interesting that a couple of Seattle columnists have done mea culpas since the team's been here. It's because their perception of the city was shattered after making multiple trips during and after the team's move. When these magazine reporters or freelancers come in for a day or two and only go to certain places, they get a skewed perspective. Betts is right, the Denny's quip is not just misleading, it's a flat-out lie. It's one thing to battle real problems without having to answer to total fabrications.

You know that is a real problem... one short random trip and you're likely to see some unpleasant parts of the city. That should not be the case. This is the result of horrible, horrible planning for decades on the part of this city. For example, you come in from the west on I-40 and what's the first thing you see... a trash heap. You come in from the east on I-240 and what's the first thing you see... Mount Trashmore. You come in from the north on I-35 and what's the first thing you smell... the new Edmond city dump. You come in from the south and what's the first thing you smell at I-35 and 34th Street... the Moore City Dump. How about driving through the heart of our downtown in OKC on the central west side... is that an RC park, trailer homes, or both? These are gigantic planning mistakes. Virtually all of the high visibility, easily accessible real estate in this metropolitan area is blanketed with bad choices like the above, or horribly unattractive corrugated metal structures housing industrial businesses, or car lots.

I love this city but we need to take a hard look at it. It's not pretty. It's getting better, but it isn't happening fast enough. Hold your politicians and local business leaders accountable.

PennyQuilts
01-20-2010, 07:44 PM
To hear some people talk, the whole city should be "hip" so no one stumbles on a real town instead of a party district.

dismayed
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't believe that Penny, but I do think that if a role of the dice will leave you with total blight or general ugliness 75% of the time then that's a real problem.

How about a MAPS that focuses on major throughfare and highway beautification?

okcpulse
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
You know that is a real problem... one short random trip and you're likely to see some unpleasant parts of the city. That should not be the case. This is the result of horrible, horrible planning for decades on the part of this city. For example, you come in from the west on I-40 and what's the first thing you see... a trash heap. You come in from the east on I-240 and what's the first thing you see... Mount Trashmore. You come in from the north on I-35 and what's the first thing you smell... the new Edmond city dump. You come in from the south and what's the first thing you smell at I-35 and 34th Street... the Moore City Dump. How about driving through the heart of our downtown in OKC on the central west side... is that an RC park, trailer homes, or both? These are gigantic planning mistakes. Virtually all of the high visibility, easily accessible real estate in this metropolitan area is blanketed with bad choices like the above, or horribly unattractive corrugated metal structures housing industrial businesses, or car lots.

I love this city but we need to take a hard look at it. It's not pretty. It's getting better, but it isn't happening fast enough. Hold your politicians and local business leaders accountable.

The first thing you see when approaching Dallas from Houston are not one, but two trash mountains.

And in Houston, the blighted stretches along I-45 North and the Hardy Tollroad go for MILES, and I don't mean just run down properties, I'm talking blocks and blocks of rotted shacks as seen along the Hardy.

Does that mean OKC should take the back seat? Absolutely not. Just because OKC has turned in a good direction doesn't mean pre-MAPS OKC can just simply vanish without a trace. Transformation can only happen as fast as the market allows.

okcpulse
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
How about a MAPS that focuses on major throughfare and highway beautification?

Actually, that is a good idea. Been thinking about that for quite sometime. But the bad part about that idea is that we'd have to wait until 2017 for the next MAPS to kick in. Perhaps the next GO Bond election should cover that.

I think OKC Beautiful also needs to step up.

PennyQuilts
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
OKC has blighted areas like any other town. The Centennial, Hefner Parkway, I44 look good. They are redoing I40. Of course, those are interstates, primarily. But the writer of that article was being deliberately ugly - an "old" rabbit (how would be know the age?) the Purina plant (shall we drive them out of business?) - oil derricks (This is Oklahoma City - shall we just ignore our history and heritage and try to be more starbucky at the expense of local business that contributes to our economy?). The location described in the article is not in an area that any town would make a priority -certainly not to make sure some snotty writer will have something nice to write - because he won't. He was looking to trash the place.

PennyQuilts
01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Has anyone taken the train along the east coast between DC and NYC? It is one long horrible dump. Miles and miles (100's of miles) of blighted, horrible areas in DC, Maryland, Philly, the Garden State, NYC. I don't know how people live like that. It makes OKC look lovely and prosperous in comparison. You might be near a purina plant in Edmond but at least the area is habitable. Anyone complaining about it is not actually comparing it to the cities they frequently hold up as models. From OKC, all they look at are the travel and tourist brochures and we all know how those things paint things.

okcpulse
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Has anyone taken the train along the east coast between DC and NYC? It is one long horrible dump. Miles and miles (100's of miles) of blighted, horrible areas in DC, Maryland, Philly, the Garden State, NYC. I don't know how people live like that. It makes OKC look lovely and prosperous in comparison. You might be near a purina plant in Edmond but at least the area is habitable. Anyone complaining about it is not actually comparing it to the cities they frequently hold up as models. From OKC, all they look at are the travel and tourist brochures and we all know how those things paint things.

Yupp, I remember my treks to New Jersey. I'll never forget the endless miles of businesses and strip malls along Route 22 that never left 1962. Frozen in time.

progressiveboy
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
The first thing you see when approaching Dallas from Houston are not one, but two trash mountains.

And in Houston, the blighted stretches along I-45 North and the Hardy Tollroad go for MILES, and I don't mean just run down properties, I'm talking blocks and blocks of rotted shacks as seen along the Hardy.

Does that mean OKC should take the back seat? Absolutely not. Just because OKC has turned in a good direction doesn't mean pre-MAPS OKC can just simply vanish without a trace. Transformation can only happen as fast as the market allows. Agree. Transformation happens only if there is a market. But without any new headquarters or new high paying jobs coming to OKC then the city will always be a big dirty town. As I previously mentioned, what makes a city is it's inhabitants. A city's cleanliness is a reflection of it's people. OKC has such a tremendous amount of blight, no wonder Tulsa is alway dissing on OKC. OKC is improving, however, it has a long way to go! Dallas and Houston are much more cleaner!!!

okcpulse
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Dallas and Houston are much more cleaner!!!

Depending on where you are in Dallas, but in Houston I cannot agree. There is enough blight in Houston to swallow OKC's urbanized area whole.

OKC, on the other hand, gets cleaner and cleaner each time I visit. The problem I see is that certain areas that have always been blighted have gotten worse.

Along the highway, however, the industrial zones on the west side should be cleaned up at the city's demand. As far as our own citizens, I do agree.

Hold them responsible. If they can't keep their properties clean, make them or else.

betts
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
My aunt and uncle were visiting last week, and I took them around downtown. Their comment, "What a clean city!" Agreed that the entrances to the city outside the city are less than attractive, but there are a lot of other cities with similar looks, as you drive towards downtown. I take the train into NYC fairly often, and visit relatives in NJ, and I always think precisely what Penny Quilts just said.....lots not to admire.

And dismayed, Ballard is talking about "nightlife" when he mentions Denny's, "not late night dining options". That may be what he meant, but it doesn't read that way. Luckily, the rest of the article is a paen to Kevin Durant, and is flattering towards our fans, but the intro is about as bad as anything I've read since the Thunder relocated.

PennyQuilts
01-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Oh lord, our downtown is a treasure in terms of cleanliness. Really something to be proud of.

EBAH
01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

No, but I have taken NJ Transit out of Penn Station NY to visit friends near Edison, and it is was the most disgusting scenery I've EVER seen from a train. And that is counting a train trip from inner city Mexico City to Morelia.

OKCMallen
01-21-2010, 09:21 AM
As though all the other cities only manufacture lilacs and potpourri.

Architect2010
01-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Our weather is cold? Our nightlife is Denny's?

This article is beyond ignorant. It's downright pure idiocy.

I'm pretty sure there are 3 distinct districts, that I can think of, that have bustling night life. I'm also pretty sure that the only time our weather is cold in relevance to even the most mild of the northern states was this past snowstorm. And it was a rarity.

These type of journalists are just stupid. To put it bluntly. We know Oklahoma City is many times better than the picture potrayed here. That is not an Oklahoma City that I know, and this is what makes me upset. I want the world to see that my city is not a Purina Dog Food Plant smelling city with bitterly cold weather, but it seems stereotypes persists. Which is rather ironic seeing as how immaturely the bigger cities have put down the so-called podunk armpit of America. Who has been the bigger man, per se, throughout this whole Thunder fiasco? It's not Seattle, it's not NYC, it's not New Jersey. It's been OKC.

But I must admit, these types of atricles have become rarer and rarer. The general outlook of OKC from other point of views has only been getting brighter.

okcpulse
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I guess Mr. Ballard doesn't own a dog.

fredfredburger
01-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Our weather is cold? Our nightlife is Denny's?

This article is beyond ignorant. It's downright pure idiocy.

I'm pretty sure there are 3 distinct districts, that I can think of, that have bustling night life.

"night life" doesn't mean 6pm to 10pm at the arts museum or wednesday night youth group services.

There's no afterhours places in this city.

workman45
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess Mr. Ballard doesn't own a dog.

Must be a cat lover.

okcpulse
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
"night life" doesn't mean 6pm to 10pm at the arts museum or wednesday night youth group services.

There's no afterhours places in this city.

Well, I guess your not satisfied with all of the clubs in Bricktown and others scattered across OKC that stay open until 2AM.

On another thread you expressed you wanted stuff to do in OKC at 4AM. I will agree with you there that OKC is lacking in 24 hour nightlife, but that is a rarity for any city our size.

ljbab728
01-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, Fred has made it clear before that he will only be happy with a 24 hour city like New York, Chicago, LA, or Miami. OKC will never be like that and I'm not sure we want everything that that lifestle brings with it.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
01-21-2010, 10:48 PM
OKC really needs 24 hr nightlife that would be awesome

ljbab728
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Maybe for a small segment of the population but OKC just isn't large enough to support that and investors aren't going to do it and lose money.

Mr. T in OKC
01-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Mr Ballard likes to make up his own facts. In the article, he refers to OKC as the smallest NBA market. New Orleans has a smaller metro population and a smaller television market. Saltlake City has a smaller metro population and only has a larger television market because it includes the whole state of Utah, whereas OKC has to split the Oklahoma Market with Tulsa. Perception often seems to outweigh the facts though. However, I do feel a professional writer shoud check his facts before publishing an article in such a high profile magazine.

semisimple
01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Mr Ballard likes to make up his own facts. In the article, he refers to OKC as the smallest NBA market. New Orleans has a smaller metro population and a smaller television market. Saltlake City has a smaller metro population and only has a larger television market because it includes the whole state of Utah, whereas OKC has to split the Oklahoma Market with Tulsa. Perception often seems to outweigh the facts though. However, I do feel a professional writer shoud check his facts before publishing an article in such a high profile magazine.

Salt Lake City has a larger metropolitan area population if you consider the CSA figure (which, of course, is what everyone on this site does when quoting OKC's population), which was 1.71 million in the 2008 estimate. Thus, it is perfectly reasonable and probably more correct to say that SLC is bigger than OKC. New Orleans, on the other hand, is indeed smaller by any official Census projection.

Mr. T in OKC
01-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Salt Lake City has a larger metropolitan area population if you consider the CSA figure (which, of course, is what everyone on this site does when quoting OKC's population), which was 1.71 million in the 2008 estimate. Thus, it is perfectly reasonable and probably more correct to say that SLC is bigger than OKC. New Orleans, on the other hand, is indeed smaller by any official Census projection.

I suppose I can forgive him about placing OKC behind SLC, but for New Orleans, he must PAY! His statement was still off. What he should have said is that OKC is the second or third smallest market depending on weather you are looking at Television markets, Combined Statistical Area, or Metropolitan Statistical Area. Then I would be satisfied. lol

Bunty
01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Yupp, I remember my treks to New Jersey. I'll never forget the endless miles of businesses and strip malls along Route 22 that never left 1962. Frozen in time.

Mile after mile of steel mills abandoned for decades along the Great Lakes, such as the Buffalo area, is something else, too.

Bunty
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM

OK, for starters, let's make it legal for the bars to open and close when they want to on Fridays and Saturdays. And if all goes well, make it the rest of the days of the week. My guess that a chief source of opposition to take seriously will come from the police chief. He may complain his department isn't budgeted to patrol the bars at all hours of the night.

Bunty
01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, Fred has made it clear before that he will only be happy with a 24 hour city like New York, Chicago, LA, or Miami. OKC will never be like that and I'm not sure we want everything that that lifestle brings with it.

Don't the casinos around OKC stay open 24hr? IF so, that would be the place to go hang out after the bars close. Of course, age restrictions would still enter in.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't the casinos around OKC stay open 24hr? IF so, that would be the place to go hang out after the bars close. Of course, age restrictions would still enter in.

could they serve alcohol?

Larry OKC
01-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Dog food smell? I have worked at 122nd & Santa Fe (Broadway Ext) going on 10 years and have NEVER noticed any odor in the area at all. Does one have to be within a half block radius? Would think if it was that bad, would be able to smell it from miles around.