01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
So who's going to the parade this year?

Me!

fuzzytoad
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM
that's it? geez, I hope this isn't indicative of the general turnout

trousers
01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I didnt even know that there was one until you posted. Might try & make it.

soonerguru
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
It's always a good parade. I've gone many years. For some reason it seems like the weather is usually really nice on MLK day, despite the fact it's January. Obviously this year is no exception.

metro
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
The streets were trashed downtown after it was over. Never seen the streets so littered from a parade. Hope the parade itself was good.

gmwise
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
It reminds me of after New Years downtown.

ljbab728
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
that's it? geez, I hope this isn't indicative of the general turnout

While attending the parade, especially in the great weather we had today, would be a great experience, you have to realize that basically the only people who can attend are government workers, school children, or people who don't work. Very few businesses are closed and their employees are working.

HOT ROD
01-19-2010, 02:32 AM
so did anyone make it? how was it?

having these sort of parades and community events (regardless of the day it falls on), is what will solidly place OKC in the league of major-league cities. Even if it is just mostly kids and govt workers who attend (due to being Monday) - the fact that OKC has something is "something" to talk about and "something to do."

We all hear about cities having 'nothing to do', including OKC many years ago - well now, that's no longer the case and OKC should continue to embrace it's diversity and be a big-league city with these and other EVENTS.

Eventually, people may take the day off or lunch to attend events if they have to work.

Also, we can't schedule everything on weekends - weekdays need love too (kudos goes with the "something to do" moniker).

buckt
01-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Does anyone know who cleans up after a parade? City employees? If so, is parade clean up included in budget expenses? Just askin....

fuzzytoad
01-19-2010, 06:19 AM
While attending the parade, especially in the great weather we had today, would be a great experience, you have to realize that basically the only people who can attend are government workers, school children, or people who don't work. Very few businesses are closed and their employees are working.

It's kind of depressing to see so many companies in this state that still do not close on MLK Jr. day.

The turnout wasn't all that great, especially considering the crowds during the past few years. Added to this was some general confusion about the parade route and the conflicting instructions from the 2 or 3 parade marshals.

The area was pretty trashed afterwards, but the city seemed to be cleaning it up fairly quickly, what with 2 or 3 trucks running at the end of each circuit of the parade like big green and white floats.

Oh! and there seemed to be a large number of people(at least a bus-load) who didn't realize the election was over, carrying Obama/Biden campaign posters and banners and lots of those 'Change you can believe in' posters

benman
01-19-2010, 07:58 AM
It's kind of depressing to see so many companies in this state that still do not close on MLK Jr. day.

The turnout wasn't all that great, especially considering the crowds during the past few years. Added to this was some general confusion about the parade route and the conflicting instructions from the 2 or 3 parade marshals.

The area was pretty trashed afterwards, but the city seemed to be cleaning it up fairly quickly, what with 2 or 3 trucks running at the end of each circuit of the parade like big green and white floats.

Oh! and there seemed to be a large number of people(at least a bus-load) who didn't realize the election was over, carrying Obama/Biden campaign posters and banners and lots of those 'Change you can believe in' posters

Depressing?? I dont think so. Companies dont close for Columbus Day, or D-Day, or anything of the sort.
I wish the parade would cease. Its pretty frustrating/emabarassing when you are meeting with an out of town client and all you can hear/see is insanely loud bass,rap music, and cars driving around on spinners during your meeting...actually It doesnt need to cease, just the loud annoying rap music/bass needs to be toned down.
As for the people carrying Obama/Biden signs...that just shows you ignorance that got Obama/Biden elected in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure those people carrying the signs voted for Obama based on the color of his skin, which is the mentality that MLK was completely against. Rather ironic.
As for CHANGE...Ha, pretty sure thats for a whole other thread.

Architect2010
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
That parade had a pretty good turnout in my opinion. I marched in the parade, so I'm sure here's a perspective that most of you don't get if you're standing in one spot to spectate. There were thin spots, like EK Gaylord Boulevard by the Santa Fe Parking Garage, the shade was kinda of cold. But there were TONS of people. The parade itself was pretty long also, we reached the finish spot and had to trek back to our cars on NW 8th and Robinson and the parade was still going as we walked back towards the beginning. I think the highlight of the parade were the marching bands. Especially Langston.

And I'd say 90% of all the trash on the streets were candy wrappers.

bradzilla
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Depressing?? I dont think so. Companies dont close for Columbus Day, or D-Day, or anything of the sort.
I wish the parade would cease. Its pretty frustrating/emabarassing when you are meeting with an out of town client and all you can hear/see is insanely loud bass,rap music, and cars driving around on spinners during your meeting...actually It doesnt need to cease, just the loud annoying rap music/bass needs to be toned down.
As for the people carrying Obama/Biden signs...that just shows you ignorance that got Obama/Biden elected in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure those people carrying the signs voted for Obama based on the color of his skin, which is the mentality that MLK was completely against. Rather ironic.

Yes, the parade should stop because you were annoyed for one morning by something different that you're used to. Stay Classy my friend.

benman
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes, the parade should stop because you were annoyed for one morning by something different that you're used to. Stay Classy my friend.

ha or maybe the parade should. Good post though..

gmwise
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you committed piss poor planning, which apparently lead to piss poor performance.
Stop blaming your lack of abilities to external events.

MadMonk
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
And I'd say 90% of all the trash on the streets were candy wrappers.
Note to self: Before next year's parade, become a street vendor selling candy bars. Maybe drinks too. Chocolate makes one thirsty.
:LolLolLol