View Full Version : We always talk about Dallas...

circuitboard
01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Dallas, come's up quite a bit in this forum. I was being curious in the Dallas development forum (basically the OKCTALK of Dallas/ftw) and stumbled upon this development in Fort Worth.....Fort Worth has come along ways, this is a great development, would love to see something like this in OKC. If you click to the 3rd and 4th pages, already has pics of completed projects.

Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum - Fort Worth - West 7th in Cultural District (http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=7055&page=1&pp=50)

lol mispelled always in the title, no way to change? =P

soonerguru
01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
That's a very cool mixed-use development, even if it is a bit "faux city" a la the "West Village" 'hood in Dallas.

Still, it beats anything happening in this town development-wise.

Spartan
01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
7th has some flaws..the Camp Bowie/7th/University 6-way intersection was a bad idea..they could learn from OKC's use of roundabouts for some intersections. FW is doing a LOT of good things though.

7th is very walkable. Remains to be seen how successful the development is since it was just finished. Feels more like Classen Curve, but with residential on top.

No offense to FW, but "Dallas" also refers to them..I know it's not fair.

mugofbeer
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Geez, I lived in DFW for 13 years and I know of few people in that area who equate Dallas with Ft. Worth. They are cities as different as night and day.

Ft. Worth was quite depressed for a very long time until Charles Tandy (of Radio Shack fame) and Sid Bass bought up blocks of the area and redeveloped it with their own money - kind of a "if you build it, they will come" approach that wasn't feasible to the bankers at the time.

Ft. Worth is also blessed with a handful of very wealthy long-time benefactors on the scale of what Devon and Chesapeake do today.

progressiveboy
01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Geez, I lived in DFW for 13 years and I know of few people in that area who equate Dallas with Ft. Worth. They are cities as different as night and day.

Ft. Worth was quite depressed for a very long time until Charles Tandy (of Radio Shack fame) and Sid Bass bought up blocks of the area and redeveloped it with their own money - kind of a "if you build it, they will come" approach that wasn't feasible to the bankers at the time.

Ft. Worth is also blessed with a handful of very wealthy long-time benefactors on the scale of what Devon and Chesapeake do today.Agree! Fort Worth is blessed with the Amon Carter Museum and the Kimball Art Museum. They have 5 different museums in their district. They just finished and opened up the new Children's Science Museum, in which I hear great reviews. In addition, the acoustically acclaimed Bass Performance Hall for top notch performances and shows! Their Japanese inspired water gardens and many other cultural gems!

ourulz2000
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Fort Worth people > Dallas people

Spartan
01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Agree! Fort Worth is blessed with the Amon Carter Museum and the Kimball Art Museum. They have 5 different museums in their district. They just finished and opened up the new Children's Science Museum, in which I hear great reviews. In addition, the acoustically acclaimed Bass Performance Hall for top notch performances and shows! Their Japanese inspired water gardens and many other cultural gems!

Many people don't know this, but the Cultural District in Ft Worth is actually the nation's 2nd largest collection of museum space. 1st is the National Mall in DC. That's just what Ft Worth claims though..and idk how they figure that out. I know that Houston's museums are obviously a lot more prominent than anything in Dallas or Ft Worth, and they're probably a little bit more spread out across a square mile area rather than in a tight, compact core of a few blocks like D/FW.

It's easily acknowledgeable that Ft Worth is a completely different city than Dallas. It's been said that Dallas is the last eastern city and Ft Worth is the first western city, and I tend to agree with that. Dallas proper is becoming more and more like Chicago with its density, its traffic, its skyrocketing home values, its cultural institutions, its universities (SMU, UD, and UTD among others) and its general sense of flashiness. Dallas is a very glitzy, glamorous city. That's not to say that Dallas is becoming Chicago exactly..it's still a very unique place. The only thing that has always and will continue to always characterize Dallas is bigness.. big hair, big skyscrapers, big money, big cars, big SUVs, big steaks, big shopping malls, big trees, big highways, and so on and so forth.

Ft Worth is a city that, unlike Dallas, doesn't forget the fact that it exists here on Earth. Ft Worth has the "aint half bad" version of everything Dallas has. Dallas has SMU, Ft Worth has TCU, Dallas has the Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas MOA, and incredible new Center for the Performing Arts..Ft Worth has Kimbell, Amon Carter, and Bass Hall. And personally I'd rather take Bass Hall over the starchitecture in the Center for the Performing Arts.

Ft Worth has a lot of cool areas with a lot of momentum, infill going on around TCU, the Trinity River bank in downtown is an area where a development boom has long been a reality unlike the Oklahoma River, big projects like West 7th or Race Street or the old Montgomery Ward building are linking downtown to the Cultural District, and the area just south of downtown with a lot of medical buildings is lighting up with mixed-use development. Then the Ft Worth Stockyards have always been a good postcard.

FW has come a LONG ways, and it doesn't get the credit it deserves. I think the simple fact that everything in FW is always being compared to its Dallas counterpart is a case in point example. Same as OKC has come a LONG ways, and not getting the credit it deserves, still has a lot of work to do in order to look progressive compared to Dallas. FW and OKC are both very much in the shadow of Dallas, and as far as I'm concerned, OKC "feels" just as close to DTD as FW does..that's a curse that makes it hard to do "Big League City" things sometimes. It may also allow for some great Thunder/Mavs rivalry games like last night from what I hear.

metro
01-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Wow, impressive development in Fort Worth. Just reminds me how much farther we have to go, even if it is "faux" urban.

BG918
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
This development would fit in very well in Campus Corner, along University Blvd., or in midtown OKC.

ljbab728
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
This development would fit in very well in Campus Corner, along University Blvd., or in midtown OKC.

While the general idea would be nice for Campus Corner, anything of this scale would totally overwhelm that area. It's just too large.

bombermwc
01-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Counter to Spartan, I'd take the intersection to a round about any day. Round abouts take up too much valuable space. Yeah, you can make up a little "town square park-ish thing" at each one, but who cares. I'd rather take the density. It's not like they are going to plan on the place having a high amount of car traffic. Obviously they are designing it as pedestrian, not vehicular....park your car in the garage and walk your fat rear to where you're going.

Looks like a really nifty project though. I agree with others that FTW doesn't get the credit it deserves. If you haven't driven on that side of town, you haven't seen the amount of residential cash flow that is heading that way too. FTW proper compared to Dallas proper.....FTW is moving up. I'd much rather live there right now.

Spartan
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that FW is moving up whereas D isn't? Hmm.

I hear what you're saying about roundabouts as opposed to confusing intersections, and although I'm a big roundabout fan I agree in general you have some points..but in this specific instance of 7th/University/Camp Bowie in FW you don't. I would question whether you've ever been to the intersection in fact, considering you suggested it doesn't handle a high amount of traffic.

That is actually an incredibly busy intersection. Camp Bowie is like the NW Expressway, University is like Classen, and West 7th is like NW 23rd.. all converge right there at the same intersection, and it's a mess. As a result of how confusing it is, especially without any lane markings through the middle of the intersection to guide cars, I always see a wreck there and I always get a little bit confused myself.

I like the idea a whole lot of doing a large mixed-use project right there around the high-profile intersection, especially considering the affluent neighborhoods surrounding the area and all of the cultural institutions nearby. But a roundabout would be infinitely better there, similar to the roundabout in Houston's Museum District where Main Street, Montrose Blvd, and Hermann Drive all converge on the edge of Hermann Park. Great setting there.

circled9
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Why oh why do we always want to keep up with some city in Texas. Why cant we take the lead and let them follow us? Texas should always be considered as Baja Oklahoma.

If we wanted to be like another city, I can certainly think of a lot of cities in the world to copy other than Dallas.

Obviously I am not a big fan of the Longhorns or Cowboys either.

Spartan
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately I think blissful ignorance of Texas is being schizophrenically detached from reality..

skyrick
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that FW is moving up whereas D isn't? Hmm.

I hear what you're saying about roundabouts as opposed to confusing intersections, and although I'm a big roundabout fan I agree in general you have some points..but in this specific instance of 7th/University/Camp Bowie in FW you don't. I would question whether you've ever been to the intersection in fact, considering you suggested it doesn't handle a high amount of traffic.

That is actually an incredibly busy intersection. Camp Bowie is like the NW Expressway, University is like Classen, and West 7th is like NW 23rd.. all converge right there at the same intersection, and it's a mess. As a result of how confusing it is, especially without any lane markings through the middle of the intersection to guide cars, I always see a wreck there and I always get a little bit confused myself.

Don't forget little Bailey Ave at that intersection. With Bailey, Camp Bowie, 7th east and west bound, University north and south bound, that's six streets at the same intersection. For me, Bailey causes the most confusion when trying to turn west at that intersection.

BDP
01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
would love to see something like this in OKC.

You gotta talk to OCURA about that. They have had mixed use projects proposed and I don't think they have selected one yet. I guess Legacy sort of fits the mixed use criteria, but it still screams suburban and was severely compromised.

The mayor and city manager pretty much put the breaks on new mixed use in bricktown. Lower Bricktown is pretty much done, unless they decide to rethink the seemingly invaluable surface parking.

At the end of the day, Oklahoma City has chosen to not build new modern mixed use for unknown reasons. To date, it hasn't even really tried. If they develop the park like they have the rest of the core, you may never see it.

westsidesooner
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
It would be nice to see a development like that incorporated into the new core to shore plans. I know they think that would cut into the bricktown "experience" but it wouldnt really have to. They could have a small theatre, or a public market, more stores that would be handy for all the new housing.....drug store, photo store, etc.... and restaurants incorporated into it. From the plans on c2s it looks like they are planning some pretty dense housing on the south and southwest side of c2s.....(south of union station) and all those new residents could use some local establishments. We all know theres not much south of the river now. Or even directly west of the main park and (planned) convention center

http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/visuals/September07_Land_Use.jpg

Spartan
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
You gotta talk to OCURA about that. They have had mixed use projects proposed and I don't think they have selected one yet. I guess Legacy sort of fits the mixed use criteria, but it still screams suburban and was severely compromised.

The mayor and city manager pretty much put the breaks on new mixed use in bricktown. Lower Bricktown is pretty much done, unless they decide to rethink the seemingly invaluable surface parking.

At the end of the day, Oklahoma City has chosen to not build new modern mixed use for unknown reasons. To date, it hasn't even really tried. If they develop the park like they have the rest of the core, you may never see it.

This is a really good post, BDP. You're spot on about how this city has made the choice to not do mixed-use development.

mugofbeer
01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
This is a really good post, BDP. You're spot on about how this city has made the choice to not do mixed-use development.

Has the city made that choice or have no developers stepped up to the plate with a project?

soonerguru
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Has the city made that choice or have no developers stepped up to the plate with a project?

mug,

AS has been pointed out before -- even in this thread -- OCURA (the city) chose non-mixed use projects over mixed use projects, such as when they approved the abortion The Hill over a nice mixed use concept by Anthony McDermid.

There are other examples.

Spartan
01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, you can't really say better developers didn't try..

bombermwc
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Except, Spartan, it appears that they are trying to change the use of the streets here. In essence, trying to tell people that they shouldn't be using their cars. It may currently be a busy intersection for cars, but that doesn't mean that the city is wanting that to continue.

With that many streets intersecting at one place, yeah it's weird, but I'd rather see Bailey closed there and I'd probably convert 7th to a one way or something. Basically, I'd like to see camp and combine into the western side of 7th, and only intersect with university...making into a 4-way instead of 6. There need to be main roads here without all the extra crap at ever block to clog it up. I might would even play a little anti-car here and completely close off the road to car traffic in the district. That side is small enough (just a couple block), to park and walk. That gives the stores SOOOOO many more options on things they can do...and festivals have far more freedom as well.

Spartan
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
That would be worth looking into. I don't think you'd be able to use any more right of way with the way the area is developed with either mixed-use stuff or museums, but I can see the potential for closing off or limiting 7th and getting rid of Bailey, kind of like how badly I want to get rid of E.K. Gaylord. The problem with turning 7th into a pedestrian mall is that I believe that's what they've done with 8th already..7th really just borders the back of the West 7 development.

David Pollard
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Don't want to be pedantic, but could you please correct the spelling in the title of this thread?

BDP
01-20-2010, 10:40 AM

The city has made the choice at least twice. The Hill and The Overholser project. Both were chosen over competing mixed use developments. Neither are any where near completion and likely will never be completed as proposed. This is in addition to a mixed use project east of the ballpark that the mayor and city council squashed before it even got out of the idea phase.

So, not only has the city not chosen mixed use projects, it has chosen compromised and, to date, uncompleted projects over proposed mixed use projects.

If I had any hesitation over voting for MAPS3, OCURA is why. All of the MAPS projects have been a success, imo. However, this city has repeatedly failed to fully leverage that success into private developments that really raise the city's quality of life and competitive position through increasing the lifestyle options. I cringe when I drive by the Legacy, Lower Bricktown, the Hill and the old Mercy lot. Those projects have all really failed to fully capitalize on the changes brought to the core by MAPS and are the epitome of OCURA incompetence. Even if they were never compromised, they still weren't even designed with the focus on building an urban community.

Even more than the canal, the park and its surrounding developments will once again have a chance to really create an urban living option in Oklahoma City. But if the same people are making the decisions and enforcing those decisions as to what developments are chosen, then we may miss out on another great opportunity to raise the city's profile.

Spartan
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
The problem is that there's not a way to attack OCURA. There's no way to put them on the hot seat and get them to start doing what we want them to do. I've been to an OCURA meeting before, they don't actively solicit input from the community in the way that City Council and Planning Commission do. In fact OCURA meetings are really hard to find.

MikeOKC
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
The problem is that there's not a way to attack OCURA. There's no way to put them on the hot seat and get them to start doing what we want them to do. I've been to an OCURA meeting before, they don't actively solicit input from the community in the way that City Council and Planning Commission do. In fact OCURA meetings are really hard to find.

I know that OCURA members are appointed by the mayor. Can the mayor not ask for greater transperency and offer a program to accomplish that? I would think that's good use of the bully pulpit.

As for the thread, I spend time in the DFW metroplex and am amazed at the rate of growth all over, but bowled over at the things going on in and around Ft. Worth. I don't get over there much but when I do there is always something new to see. The 'new urbanist' development looks like it will be really nice based on the plans in this thread. I live part-time (one of my three-city haunts) in what some on the forum call a "faux urban" district (Shops at Legacy) and absolutely love it there.

Spartan
01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
See I'm the opposite. I get down to Dallas about 5-6 times a year, and I only get to see Ft Worth about 3-4 times a year.. Dallas is the one that just amazes me every time I go back down there.

Last time I was down there in December I was amazed at how DOWNTOWN was completely gridlock at 3 am..some very cool new clubs open in the heart of downtown. Very vibrant after hours. That kinda brought it full-circle for me, because I've gotten accustomed to being amazed at various parts of Uptown Dallas and other projects along the red line (DART)..

MikeOKC
01-20-2010, 01:34 PM
See I'm the opposite. I get down to Dallas about 5-6 times a year, and I only get to see Ft Worth about 3-4 times a year.. Dallas is the one that just amazes me every time I go back down there.

Last time I was down there in December I was amazed at how DOWNTOWN was completely gridlock at 3 am..some very cool new clubs open in the heart of downtown. Very vibrant after hours. That kinda brought it full-circle for me, because I've gotten accustomed to being amazed at various parts of Uptown Dallas and other projects along the red line (DART)..

I guess I meant because I see Ft. Worth less often, there's a lot of time for things to have happened. As for Dallas, it's a constant machine. The DART and the development/re-development it's spawned along the Red Line has been quite dramatic to watch. The number of entertainment/living districts are mind boggling. Dallas is not a compact Boston, but it offers a bit of everything. I've never understood the Dallas haters, I like it much better than many other so called "great cities."

progressiveboy
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Last time I was down there in December I was amazed at how DOWNTOWN was completely gridlock at 3 am..some very cool new clubs open in the heart of downtown. Very vibrant after hours. That kinda brought it full-circle for me, because I've gotten accustomed to being amazed at various parts of Uptown Dallas and other projects along the red line (DART).. Agree! The only real issue I have living in Dallas is the traffic nightmare. It makes up with so much to offer single people and families as well. Dallas is not afraid to go out and continually reinvent itself or to land well paying jobs. Just in last weeks DMN rumour has it that 2 major corporate relocations may take place one from the east coast and the other from the west coast. It constantly amazes me the continuation of building and growth in Dallas. Some of my friends in OKC always say, I can't stand the traffic and gridlock in Dallas. I tell them I am not fond of it either, however, you "cannot" depend on comfort to make you a living.

Spartan
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Being successful in Dallas, and Houston to an even greater extent, requires a certain type of proactive (almost aggressive) personality that takes advantage of opportunities. It's like that with everything, from job hunting, to shopping, even simply driving to work.. Here's the reality.. no city has ever successfully spun "relaxing lifestyle, low stress, low traffic" into a productive economic development pitch. Those cities with traffic and stress--you know what?--people learn to deal with those issues.

Maybe people shouldn't have to drive from Moore/Norman to Penn Square or Quail Springs for decent shopping. When I was at OU I actually worked as an asst manager at a store in Penn Square, and that commute got real old real quick..hated it. In Dallas and Houston decent shopping, good restaurants, etc are all in YOUR part of town. So traffic is worse, but nobody is driving all the way across Houston day in day out like people are in OKC, which I would contend, is even more of a hassle.

As for a "great city" I don't see how Dallas, or at least Houston, aren't considered among the "great cities" of the country. Houston is the nation's 4th largest city and has the 3rd largest number of embassies and consulates, culture and arts that are incomparable except to New York, and more languages spoken per capita than any other place in the US. Northerners that go out of their way to belittle Houston because they think it's nothing but sprawl are so out of touch it's not even funny. Houston, with its light rail and haphazard development and urban parks and 3rd most skyscrapers, is a VERY urban place.

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Sorry, but I gotta cry BS on the gridlock at 3AM statement. Dallas has a lot going for it and it has far more in it than OKC, but it also has 4x the people - but after living there for 13 years, there's no gridlock at 3AM and there hasn't been since the end of the wild OU-Texas weekends on Commerce St. Dallas has plenty of problems, like any city. It's downtown is virtually dead at night. The areas of life such as West End and Deep Ellum have mostly died away for the newer uptown areas. If you have gridlock at 3AM in downtown Dallas, it is likely something you don't want to be involved in.

Spartan
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
That's a very pecksniffian, almost judgmental, opinion. Generally you're not far off, but the area around the Lizard Lounge between downtown and Deep Ellum was pretty active. I prefer Greenville Ave personally, but DTD is getting there.

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
LOL Pecksniffian???

No, I have no doubt downtown Dallas is finally starting to show some life with all the condo conversions (now, probably apartment rentals with the economic slowdown). The Lizard Lounge isn't downtown, is it? Its towards Greenville past Deep Ellum?

Spartan
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
You don't know what pecksniffian means? Well that just ruined the conversation..

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Is it anything like codswallop?

dismayed
01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
That's a very pecksniffian, almost judgmental, opinion. Generally you're not far off, but the area around the Lizard Lounge between downtown and Deep Ellum was pretty active. I prefer Greenville Ave personally, but DTD is getting there.

Hey Lower Greenville in the University Park area is one of my favorite parts of Dallas too. Really cool scene.

Agree that Dallas and Ft. Worth are realities apart from one another. When I lived in Dallas the local Dallasites all seemed to refer to the place as Ft. Worthless.

mugofbeer
01-20-2010, 08:52 PM
With Hurts, Useless and Dredford in between.....nothing beat west FLower Mound and its acreages. I miss it.

skyrick
01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
With Hurts, Useless and Dredford in between.....nothing beat west FLower Mound and its acreages. I miss it.

Flower Mound is rapidly expanding toward 377 & 35W. When I moved to DFW in '88 FM had one stoplight. It's almost as bad as Allen/Frisco now.

dismayed
01-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Haha, Useless! I hadn't heard that one before... love it!

BigD Misey
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Spartan...
I've been reading your posts and totally agree. Dallas has experienced new construction and regrowth in its interior through purchases of large plots with low income apt demolition and aquisition of undeveloped areas. There is as much construction and development now as there was back in the 80's.

Contributing to this is the influx of both east and west coast companies that are offsetting the telecom corridore crash. The breif surge of profitable years for energy companies and oil companies helped as well.

Whats missing is the cultural and agricultural allure of Ft worth. Conversely, it seems Ft worth is slowly loosing the corporations which has anchored the city for decades, and has largely contributed to its downtown. Ft worth still remains the place to 'hang out' for now, but in another decade with the progress that is being made down here, its just a matter of time until Dallas becomes the big brother to FT Worth in both buiness and culture.

Having said that, living in Dallas for over a decade this is NOT one of the great cities by a long shot. It has a lot to offer but, when compared to NYC, San Fran, St. Louis, Chicago or even Austin, those cities have much more to offer in my opinion.

Spartan
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Is it anything like codswallop?

In the sense that it sounds goofy, yes.

soonerguru
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Sorry, but I gotta cry BS on the gridlock at 3AM statement. Dallas has a lot going for it and it has far more in it than OKC, but it also has 4x the people - but after living there for 13 years, there's no gridlock at 3AM and there hasn't been since the end of the wild OU-Texas weekends on Commerce St. Dallas has plenty of problems, like any city. It's downtown is virtually dead at night. The areas of life such as West End and Deep Ellum have mostly died away for the newer uptown areas. If you have gridlock at 3AM in downtown Dallas, it is likely something you don't want to be involved in.

mugofbeer speaks the truth.

Downtown Dallas is dead. Completely. No pulse after dark. No restaurants downtown. Deep Ellum is a shell of its former self.

I'm hoping for a Deep Ellum resurgence, though!

BigD Misey
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
As far as the Core to shore project... i think if they were to completely build it out, that would certainly be exciting, but... i feel there are a couple of things missing that other cities have and contribute to a sustained downtown atmosphere that are desired. I will use my favorite city as an example.

Chicago has so much to offer in its downtown.
When you compare Chitown to BIGD and OKC here are a few things to consider:
1. Corporate presence
2. Industry
3. Infrastructure
4. Accessibility - (Air, train, water, Interstate travel and locality)
5. history & Culture
6. Education
7. Beauty, generally modern and cleanliness
8. Social attractions and events
9. Safety

Chicago has it all and mostly downtown too!
Dallas has most of the 1st 4 and number 8 too. But lacks 5,6 some of 7 and 9. (The buildings and feel of the town is very modern, contemporary) Dallas is CERTAINLY NOT KNOWN for its downtown post secular life, thats for sure! Had they struck a deal with Jerryworld, that likely would have changed, but as it is, its the worst aspect of the city. I do not FEEL safe in most parts of downtown and i think they are working hard to resolve that but have a long way to go. Dallas has only a couple of venues to visit downtown: Dallas World aquarium (top notch!) Nasher Sculpture Center and the grassy knoll, none of which i would travel to at night. (Well maybe the Nasher center, but only with a group). West End isnt what it was a decade ago and Deep Ellum is just about raunchy.
Chicago has patrons on the streets of Mich. Ave until 10-11pm and my wife and i felt safe at almost every moment. The reason: All of the ground floors of the buildings are retail…Stores and Restaurants and people are there!
Dallas has: Amer. Airlines center/Victory plaza and only during games. Neighborhoods like Knox/Henderson, Mockingbird, Addison and the like. But even they are not areas where one would 'roam' or linger from shop to shop. Project 180 will set things up in OKC where downtown can be like Chicago. But this leads me to the missing elements i mentioned at the outset.
OKC is missing 5,6 and 7. Short of moving the museums downtown and building a new large college downtown, what can be done? What would keep visitors returning, visiting and lingering in OKC like with Chicago? Maps 3 is addressing number 7 a little bit with core to shore projects like the new convention center and central park and the river improvements but it has a long way to go. I feel comfortable roaming through bricktown at any time, but not through downtown proper.
If project 180 is successful and most downtown buildings use storefronts for restaurants and shops it will make a HUGE difference! More people would linger in downtown proper and may feel comfortable walking to the Civic Center or Museum of art from the hotels as opposed to driving. The central park in front of the New Convention center will not be enough. I think it should be enclosed on the west side by a line of new mixed use development to give it a safe feeling at night. Even if it is just one block wide and only between the Boulevard and Union station, it would be an emense difference.
I asked myself: What would motivate a person to live in the proposed mixed use apts and condo’s?
If the developers of these mixed use properties in the Core to Shore proposals start small, like they did here in dallas, I think they can inspire change. In Dallas they started with a small stretch of two streets: State and Thomas (off of Mckinney). 3 and 4 story apt and condo’s over retail. A roaring success. That stretch is always bustling. Lo and behold, Mckinney Ave got a shot in the arm and the city has also proposed an over the freeway park that will connect Mckinney Ave & Pearl st. with the Art and Nasher museums. Very walkable from State st.
Next stop…the rest of downtown! But I think the city had to see it in action before they bought in. That may be the case with OKC too!