View Full Version : NBC Trying to Screw Conan and the Tonight Show

Bunty
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
What do you think? I love Conan and sorry he's being put thru this:

from MSN Entertainment
Conan O'Brien will not be returning to the "The Tonight Show" if it starts airing at 12:05 a.m. instead of 11:35 p.m. O'Brien released the statement below on Tuesday afternoon.

Conan's statement...

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.
Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over "The Tonight Show" in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.
But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my "Tonight Show" in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.
Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move "The Tonight Show" to 12:05 to accommodate "The Jay Leno Show" at 11:35. For 60 years "The Tonight Show" has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 simply isn't "The Tonight Show." Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the "Late Night" show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.
So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of "The Tonight Show." But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with "The Tonight Show," I believe nothing could matter more.
There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.
Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.
Yours,
Conan

rcjunkie
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
NBC knows what their doing, moving Conan to make room for Len is a no brainier. I've watched Conan 2--3 times, in my opinion, it's a wonder he's still on.

1. Leno
2. Letterman
3. Conan

decepticobra
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
moving the tonight show that late will decrease its viewership, thus decrease its ratings. people have jobs and no one is going to stay up that late to watch it and jeopardize their sleep hours only to watch the tonight show and feel groggy the next day at work.

this means, no matter what, conan will prevail eventually ratings-wise just because he will occupy the earlier time slot.

no ones really gonna tivo the tonight show religiously to watch it the next day after they arrive home from work.

onthestrip
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
NBC knows what their doing,

Not really sure about that, because if they did they wouldnt be in this position to begin with.

That said, I think Conan is getting screwed a bit. I just cant stand Leno, on top of not being funny, he just seems like phony. But that letter from Conan was great.

Bunty
01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
NBC knows what their doing, moving Conan to make room for Len is a no brainier. I've watched Conan 2--3 times, in my opinion, it's a wonder he's still on.

1. Leno
2. Letterman
3. Conan

I finally discovered and caught on to how good Conan was several years ago and loved his juvenile adult strangeness so much that I made it a point to DVR his show ever since. I'll concede he may not be as good as he was while back in New York at 11:35. Just like people miss seeing Leno chatting behind a desk, I bet a lot of people must miss the motions that Conan went thru to start his show while in New York. I wish Triumph, the insult comic dog, would be on his show more often. Maybe NBC should just let Leno go and he can just go do a nightly show in Las Vegas as a new has been. But then I guess NBC would rather keep Leno since Conan can't beat Letterman in the ratings. But the same was said of Leno when he was just starting out.

I like Leno and Letternman, too. I guess Letterman is just gonna fade away with age and finally retire.

mugofbeer
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd be pretty ticked if I were Conan though I haven't really decided if I like him any better than Leno. I think he'll be a lot better off if he can land on another network. I'm not sure NBC is going to make it.

Dustin
01-13-2010, 12:01 AM

1. Leno
2. Letterman
3. Conan

Conan is Frea-Kin Hil-Ar-I-Ous!!! Are you kidding me!?!? C'mon now!

rcjunkie
01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Conan is Frea-Kin Hil-Ar-I-Ous!!! Are you kidding me!?!? C'mon now!

Maybe, if you lack a sense of humor.

OKCisOK4me
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok, here's a no brainer...post whether you like or dislike Conan & then please post your age right afterward. Conan is a younger generation show host. Admit it! You don't like him cause he's too bouncy....

I've changed my Facebook page profile pic to "I'm With Coco" (a kinda Presidential poster art pic) and I will be boycotting NBC if they move Conan. I'm sure the fogies (not you guys but your parents) remember back when Leno first replaced Carson. He wasn't all that great & he had at least three years to prove himself which then turned into 15+ years! Is our society so instant or is it just the baby boomers not getting their fix off of Conan? Personally, I think if you don't like him you should just go to bed, lol.

Anyway, if he moves to another network, then I'll be following him. There's not one show that I watch on NBC anymore so the boycott should be quite smooth. Yeah, I'll still watch KFOR-HD news because, well, its HD. Plus, that's an affiliate--not National Broadcasting Company.

BTW, I'm 31 & Coco Rox!!

jstanthrnme
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Conan is awesome.

OKC@heart
01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Conan is late night! Leno needs to be in the garage with his cars and drive one of them off into the sunset...age 35

LindsayRenee459
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Conan is amazing. And for the record, I definitely remember when Leno replaced Carson.

Conan rocks.

gmwise
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I miss Carson, and no, Leno or Conan can hold their own.
I rather watch water drip then either of them.

Richard at Remax
01-14-2010, 08:18 AM
I love Conan and what made him great is what he had to cut out of his program when he moved time slots. I just don't what he does appears to an older crowd and thats why the transition was taking so long. I say he moves to Fox at 10:30.

jstanthrnme
01-14-2010, 08:22 AM
While I think a move to Fox is most likely, I wouldn't mind seeing him at 11 pm on Comedy Central following The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

duckman
01-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Team COCO
Age 23

OKCisOK4me
01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
While I think a move to Fox is most likely, I wouldn't mind seeing him at 11 pm on Comedy Central following The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

I'm anti cable so a pray not...

jstanthrnme
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
So the affiliates are upset because Leno is a bad lead in to their newscast, and poor news ratings make for poor tonight show ratings. NBC knew it was a gamble when they gave Leno the new timeslot, and they lost. Now they're chasing their losses which is something a gambler should never do.

They oughta just cut Leno's show to one night a week, and change the format to an american version of Top Gear.

FormerFloridian
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
COCO!

Honestly, I never had a preference because I didn't watch either show. I have tried to watch Leno, and honestly, I don't find him the least bit funny. But I actually used to DVR Conan so I could watch the next day. He is hilarious. Yes, I agree, he is a younger-generation's host, but what's wrong with that? Why change a legacy? Just because Leno got his panties in a twist doesn't mean NBC has to give in to his every whim.

TaoMaas
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I used to like the irreverent Conan from his earlier days. This watered-down Tonight Show version?....eh, not so much. But then, I used to like Letterman better back when he had The Late Show, too. age 56

drumsncode
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I watched coverage of the Leno/Conan fiasco on Inside Edition this afternoon. It's getting really ugly in there! I believe a partial quote was "Astonishing Failure", referring to Conan's show, and he's pissed off the NBC execs enough now that they are firing back with their own barbs.

One of the big NBC execs made some really hostile remark about Conan and Letterman being chicken-hearted little cowards, something along those lines, and said they were just bitter because they couldn't beat Leno in the ratings.

I tell you what, if you paid me millions of dollars a year to stand around and make jokes, I'd swallow my pride and you could put me on in any stinking time slot you wanted.

The world has too many divas these days.

Matt
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
. . .and Leno's the biggest diva of them all (in late night TV, anyway.) Don't let the whole "man of the people" routine fool you.

ronronnie1
01-16-2010, 05:48 AM
NBC has clearly thrown Conan under the bus.

TaoMaas
01-16-2010, 06:28 AM
NBC has clearly thrown Conan under the bus.

That's just tv. Every year, there are any number of shows that premier in September, but get yanked by January. Sure, Conan only had 7 months on The Tonight Show, but he also had about 16 years to build a following prior to getting this latest opportunity. Obviously, NBC had hoped that his fans would follow him to his earlier time period, but they did not, just as Leno's Tonight Show fans didn't follow him to his new time slot. I could be wrong, but I suspect that if we want to find a 'bad guy' in this deal, we should probably look at NBC's local affilliates. Leno's performance as a lead-in show was killing them and I'm sure they were letting NBC hear about it. That put NBC in a position of having to choose between Leno and Conan again. So what's the smart choice? If one of them is going to walk, who should it be...the guy who has proven he can win the late night wars or the one who hasn't? NBC gambled back when they gave Conan The Tonight Show (even though Leno wasn't ready to give it up, I think it should be noted), but they're going with the safe bet now. Could Conan go to Fox and be a problem? Eh....yeah, maybe. But so far he hasn't shown that he can beat Letterman even while hosting the most revered show in late night, much less beat Leno (who used to kick Letterman's tail) in a head-to-head competition. That's just tv.

drumsncode
01-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I wonder if all you young guys out there find the Wanda Sykes show hilarious? If you do, then your theory that the appreciation of humor is based largely on age is about to go down the drain, because I love that show as does my 70+ year-old mother. Wanda's delivery has been rough around the edges, but the material is really funny, and she cuts no one any slack. She pimp-slapped Tiger Woods all over the place.

I love the Craig Ferguson show too, for what it's worth.

Anyway, watch Wanda Sykes on FOX25 at 10pm on Saturday.

bluedogok
01-16-2010, 09:22 AM
So the affiliates are upset because Leno is a bad lead in to their newscast, and poor news ratings make for poor tonight show ratings. NBC knew it was a gamble when they gave Leno the new timeslot, and they lost. Now they're chasing their losses which is something a gambler should never do.

They oughta just cut Leno's show to one night a week, and change the format to an american version of Top Gear.
There was an announcement of an Top Gear USA show a year or so ago with Adam Carolla as one of the hosts. Here is an article about it: Popular Mechanics - First Adam Carolla Top Gear Q&A: Exclusive Specs on NBC Show (http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4270253.html). Now that they have the original Top Gear on BBC America, I will watch it, the new season starts this month.

I don't like Conan's show, never have but I don't blame him for telling them to stick it, I do think that the show changed too much when it moved time slots and cities, it seems to me to have lost the "edge" that he had in the later NYC time slot.

This is majority the fault of NBC brass, they screwed Leno over first with the original deadline for the Conan transition that they used to entice Conan to not jump ship to some other network. Then NBC panicked when the baby was due, I think there was a huge termination clause on Conan's contract if he didn't get the Tonight Show gig and they were afraid of Jay jumping to ABC and kicking their rear in ratings (not that it would have happened, just what they were afraid of) and advertisers following Jay to ABC. I have read some stuff about it and it seems that Zucker prefers the "easy solution" every time and will just deal will the fallout later. NBC screwed up the original transition when Carson wanted Letterman to replace him, screwed Jay over when they gave Conan a deadline and screwed Conan over in this latest debacle....seems the only constant is NBC screwing someone over.

We grew up on Carson (I am 46, my wife is 44), he is still the de facto standard for that type of show. We have always switched between Leno/Letterman so when it happened we just moved to Letterman, I still think Craig Ferguson is better than all of them.

Daily Finance - How Conan Pays the Price for NBC Chief's Lack of Vision (http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/media/must-conan-pay-the-price-for-nbc-chiefs-lack-of-vision/19313874/)

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I think Jimmy Fallon is funny as hell--especially when he writes his Thank You notes, lol. He hasn't said anything about Leno or Conan so I think he's content with whatever time slot he receives...

metro
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I think the bigger problem is too many people getting upset over has been NBC.

plmccordj
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this whole Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien story is fabricated to get ratings? I mean... Watch hulu.com and you will find 20+ videos of both of them making jokes about how NBC is screwing them. On the bottom of each of those videos it has a copyright NBC on them.

This thing just seems too convenient for me.

TaoMaas
01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this whole Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien story is fabricated to get ratings? I mean... Watch hulu.com and you will find 20+ videos of both of them making jokes about how NBC is screwing them. On the bottom of each of those videos it has a copyright NBC on them.

It's not fabricated. The reason Jay and Conan are laughing is because neither of them will really get hurt too badly regardless of how this turns out. If you or I were to lose our jobs, it would be no laughing matter. But if our bosses said, "We have to let you go, but here's 45 million dollars to help tide you over", I suspect we, too, would be able to laugh about it.

nik4411
01-17-2010, 08:40 AM
for me the whole thing has made for some funny jokes, coming from both conan and jay.

duckman
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM

I too wondered why NBC would allow videos that are detrimental to their reputation not only be posted to their website, but websites across the globe. Clearly there are issues at management.

windowphobe
01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
The Simpsons have been making fun of Fox since day one.

Matt
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
8GxGsHl2g9k

Bunty
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I think Jimmy Fallon is funny as hell--especially when he writes his Thank You notes, lol. He hasn't said anything about Leno or Conan so I think he's content with whatever time slot he receives...

I have my hands full trying to keep up with Leno, Letterman and Conan on DVR than to try to find out what Ferguson and Fallon are about and then there is Carson Daly and so on.

oneforone
01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I have my hands full trying to keep up with Leno, Letterman and Conan on DVR than to try to find out what Ferguson and Fallon are about and then there is Carson Daly and so on.

Carson's the guy that is on when you wake up after falling asleep during Jimmy Fallon. You then ask yourself, is that the guy from TRL...... Wow... I need to get bed

metro
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
ratings folks, ratings

kevinpate
01-19-2010, 08:53 AM
considering the buyout tab, might of been cheaper to hire on better guests and run more ads. maybe not.

Dustin
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
OOO!! Its getting steamy!

dismayed
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Best late nite shows....

1. The Daily Show With John Stewart (COM)
2. The Cobert Report (COM)
3. The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson (CBS)
4. The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien (NBC)
5. The Late Show With David Letterman (CBS)

6. Virtually everything else, including Oprah reruns.

99. Jay Leno

SoonerBent
01-22-2010, 09:27 AM
NBC could have thier way with me for $33 million.

OKCisOK4me
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Best late nite shows....

1. The Daily Show With John Stewart (COM)
2. The Cobert Report (COM)
3. The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson (CBS)
4. The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien (NBC)
5. The Late Show With David Letterman (CBS)

6. Virtually everything else, including Oprah reruns.

99. Jay Leno

If I had a top 100, Leno wouldn't even make that now...

rcjunkie
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
If I had a top 100, Leno wouldn't even make that now...

Maybe not on your list, but within a few short months, he'll be back on top.

kevinpate
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe not on your list, but within a few short months, he'll be back on top.

Not my main one to watch, but I suspect it'll be less than a few months.
Now that he's once again not up against 'crime solvers are us' every night, he'll do as well as before.

Dustin
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I think Jimmy Fallon is funny as hell

Does he write his own monologue? If not, he needs new writers because I dont find him funny at all.

ShiroiHikari
01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm 26 and I'm with Coco. I have been ever since I first caught his show one summer night back in like 1998.

Did anyone watch his final episode of the Tonight Show? He said some really admirable things in his "farewell" speech. To sum it up, he said, work hard, be kind, and don't be cynical.

In my opinion, Jay Leno just made himself look even worse on Oprah today. The damage has been done.

dismayed
01-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I think he's damaged goods now. It'll be interesting to see if he can sustain the ratings he did before.

oneforone
01-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I am just glad the whole mess is over and done. I was tired of hearing about it. This was just another flavor of the week press scandal. I would not be the least suprised if this was all scripted as a publicity stunt. They could have very easily made the change with little or no press coverage of it.

By this summer people will have long forgotten about this and moved on with their lives. Worst case scenario, Conan has a comfy retirement and he can go back to writing or doing a stand up tour just for the hell of it.

circled9
01-30-2010, 07:12 PM
OK Let me weigh in. I have been watching one form or another of a tonight show since Jack Parr. The bottom line is that I watch the monologue with the ol lady, give her the big tv to watch whatever she wants and I go downstairs to watch espn. Unless there is a good music act (which you know isnt going to come on until eight minutes before the show ends) or an interview that you just cant miss, the rest of the show is pretty boring.

Of all those I have seen host the Tonight Show or whatever the other networks call their shows Johnny Carson, Jay Leno and sometimes Steve Allen have all had the best monologues. You can disagree if you want but let me continue so I can make my point.

I dont mind watching the local news, catch the monologue and then either go to bed or watch sports but seldom am i going to leave whatever I am doing at 9pm to watch a ten minute monologue. Therefore the ol lady watches whatever she is going to watch and I will go upstairs when whatever i am watching on espn is over. Also i do not believe that I am the exception. Probably none of the late night guys could hold an audience big enough to keep their ratings up for the entire hour that early during the evening five nights each week.

If i am right, NBC made the right decision to cut their losses and give Jay a half hour right after the news although I probably would have made it twenty minutes. After Jay finished his twenty minutes, he could pass things over to Conan who could do his deal, do some stupid skits, interview some boring people and have a musical act.

By the way, although I didnt think the format would work here, I did think that it may have worked on the coasts where all of the shows are an hour later. I lived on both coasts and would have stayed up until 10:15 to watch a funny monologue before going to bed so I could deal with the morning commute. However, with the Tonight Show starting at 11:30, I would seldom watch it. Of course, I guess Conan had visions of his show coming on at 1AM on the coasts which could explain his reason for bolting.

No need to agree or disagree. Just trying to put some logic into what the networks decision making process may have been.

TaoMaas
01-31-2010, 02:20 PM
If I am right, NBC made the right decision to cut their losses and give Jay a half hour right after the news although I probably would have made it twenty minutes. After Jay finished his twenty minutes, he could pass things over to Conan who could do his deal, do some stupid skits, interview some boring people and have a musical act.

I agree with you. Leno's show was poison at 9pm, and if NBC hadn't tried to throw Leno a bone, mostly likely he would have tried to bolt to another network. But, NBC was aware that if they couldn't placate Conan, he might bolt, too. So then the decision for NBC becomes, "If one of these guys were to leave, who would you rather compete against? The guy who has proven that he can beat Letterman or the guy who hasn't?" The safe bet is Leno. Don't feel sorry for Conan. He was given a shot at the "Holy Grail" of talk shows. And it was his choice not to continue in that role...not NBC's. Conan's pride is the only thing that's keeping him from continuing as the host of The Tonight Show. NBC didn't fire him...he quit. So...now he has his pride...but no show. And any show he might host from here on out will NOT come with the most coveted title in tv. But, hey...that was his choice.

Matt
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Jay Leno's ratings fall below Conan's on 'The Tonight Show' (http://www.examiner.com/x-15166-Comedy-Examiner~y2010m4d23-Team-Coco-News-Jay-Lenos-ratings-fall-below-Conans-on-The-Tonight-Show-great-job-NBC)

For the first time, Jay Leno's average weekly ratings among 18-49-year-old viewers has fallen below Conan O'Brien's... (TV analyst Joe) Adalian noted that Leno averaged only a 1.0 rating and a 5 share last week versus O'Brien's 1.1/5 average -- despite the fact that CBS was airing repeats of Late Show with David Letterman, which drew a 0.8/3 in the demo. Moreover, Leno now benefits from a much stronger nightly lead-in -- with shows like Parenthood and The Marriage Ref being aired by the network in the 10 00 p.m. time period -- than O'Brien did when his lead-in was Leno.

Seven weeks in, Leno is averaging a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo while David Letterman averages a 0.8. These are precisely the same numbers "The Tonight Show" and "The Late Show" were pulling seven weeks into Conan’s “Tonight” tenure.

The chart also reminds us that before “The Jay Leno Show” started last September (at week 16 into Conan’s run, I think), Conan won the 18-49 race against Letterman every single week last summer.

Only after “The Jay Leno Show’s” arrival as Conan’s 10 p.m. lead-in did Conan begin losing to Letterman in 18-49 for the first time.

Coco will also make his first post-Tonight Show TV appearance on 60 Minutes this upcoming Sunday.

venture
04-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a guest on Letterman before too long.

ShiroiHikari
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
And yet there are still people out there who say Conan deserved to get screwed because his ratings were bad. Where's that logic now?

ljbab728
04-30-2010, 10:40 PM
And yet there are still people out there who say Conan deserved to get screwed because his ratings were bad. Where's that logic now?

I have little sympathy for anyone in show business who makes the money they do. They can get screwed and still be set for life. I would love to be screwed like that.

ShiroiHikari
05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about how people say that Conan couldn't get ratings without acknowledging the fact that Leno also couldn't get ratings and that's what started this whole thing.

ljbab728
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about how people say that Conan couldn't get ratings without acknowledging the fact that Leno also couldn't get ratings and that's what started this whole thing.

I didn't say you were talking about money. But I could endure a lot of grief from any network about anything, ratings or otherwise, if I could make that kind of money. Showbusiness is a cut throat occupation and you have to be prepared for the negatives when you have so much to gain monetarily.

Matt
07-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Tonight Show with Jay Leno Posts Lowest Ratings Since 1992 (http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno/show/34238/news/tv.tvguide.com/tv.tvguide.com-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-posts-lowest-ratings-since-1992)

By Kate Stanhope Sat Jul 3, 9:10 AM PDT

Less than six months after Jay Leno returned to hosting The Tonight Show, the show's ratings are the lowest they've been since 1992, Variety reports.

In the second quarter of this year, the average total audience declined from 5 million viewers last year to 4 million viewers. This time last year featured a number of high-profile episodes, including an interview with President Barack Obama, Leno's final night and Conan O'Brien's debut as host.

The Tonight Show still beat David Letterman in the adults-18-to-49 demo, as well as in total audience. Late Show with David Letterman also dropped to its lowest audience totals since the show's first year on the air (1993), averaging 3.3 million viewers in the second quarter this year. Late Show was also topped by Nightline in total viewers for the first time since 2000, with Nightline averaging 3.7 million viewers.

When Leno returned to the Tonight Show desk in March, he attracted an impressive 6.6 million viewers. However, his second first night hosting was still 58 percent lower than O'Brien's ratings on his first night on the job in June of 2009.

Will Jay receive walking papers? (http://www.studiobriefing.net/2010/07/will-jay-receive-walking-papers/)

Low ratings and high production costs have pushed NBC’s Tonight show with Jay Leno into the red, the New York Post reported today (Friday), citing unnamed insiders. “Leno May Be Next,” the newspaper said in a headline, suggesting that Comcast may replace Leno once it gains control of NBC Universal later this year. “You can’t figure they’re happy about this,” said the newspaper’s source. Ratings for Tonight have fallen below those that Conan O’Brien garnered when he hosted last year. Moreover, the network is shelling out considerably more money for Leno than it did for O’Brien — $30 million per year vs. O’Brien’s $15 million, according to the newspaper, plus the cost of a bigger production staff. What’s more, the Tonight show, whose audience is down 20 percent since Leno left the show a year ago, has been overtaken in the ratings by the ABC newsmagazine Nightline at 11:30 p.m., and Tonight’s ratings appear to have only one way to go once O’Brien enters the late-night fray in the fall. Meanwhile, David Letterman’s ratings remain virtually flat with last year, which, commented the website TVbytheNumbers.com, “is pretty good in the broadcast television world where ‘flat is the new up.’” Letterman’s network, CBS, boasted in a news release on Thursday that Letterman’s Late Show “delivered its most competitive second quarter against The Tonight Show in viewers and key demographics since 1995.

oneforone
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Of course ratings are going to be down it's summertime. People are out and about doing things and enjoying the outdoors. Besides many of the summertime shows are repeats including late night talk shows. This would be something to talk about it if this was October or February. Besides more and more people are walking away from scheduled television and using DVR, PC's, IPODS and other media devices to take in their favorite shows. I give it another ten years and scheduled tv will be obsolete.

dmoor82
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I miss Co-Co!bring back my damn Co-Co!

oneforone
07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
He supposedly signed a deal with TBS.

NEW YORK — The late-night guessing game is over, with a startling twist: Conan O'Brien has chosen TBShttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_11pxw.gif (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36426047#) as his future talk-show home.
Expected to debut in November, the as-yet-untitled show will return O'Brien to the air after an absence that began in January when he abruptly left NBC, his employer of 17 years.
O'Brien's new program will air Mondays through Thursdays at 11 p.m. Eastern, which will shift "Lopez Tonight," starring George Lopez, from 11 p.m. EDT to midnight.
O'Brien's show will originate from Los Angeles, where he moved from New York for his short-lived stint hosting "The Tonight Show." For the second half of his show, he will face off against Jay Leno, who replaced him.
Upon TBS' announcement Monday, O'Brien quickly fired out a celebratory tweet.
"The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show," he posted on Twitter.
Supporting call
TBS said that talks with O'Brien accelerated last week after Lopez called O'Brien to ask him to come aboard.