View Full Version : Stair Climbing Downtown?

CuatrodeMayo
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Anybody do this in the 20-story+ buildings?

I've decided to get in shape to do some 14ers in Colorado this summer and climbing 20 stories of stairs sounds like a good way to get ready for it.

jstanthrnme
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm an avid hiker and have wondered this myself.

I would bet that you could get away with it at one of the hospitals, or someplace like Taft Stadium. Downtown though would be a great question.

You should consider climbing at OKC rocks, rock climbing will develop your legs as well as your arms.

Side note: which 14ers are you going to climb?

CuatrodeMayo
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Chicago Basin area is my target. 14ers.com - Mt. Eolus (Main Peak Page) (http://www.14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Mt.+Eolus)

Rock climbing may have to come a bit later. I need to shed a few pounds first.

ericbrowning
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Good luck with that....looks beautiful. My friend David and I are doing one in June....you'll have to let me know how it went.
-Eric

ndmoore
01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
You can sometimes find the OKC Fire Department go up and down the stairs in the Chase building.

Good luck finding the stairs on the first floor of some of the buildings though, they are somewhat hard to find if you aren't familiar with it.

Chase building stairs are right behind the security guard.

jstanthrnme
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
But can Joe Public just go into a building and say "I'm gonna spend an hour or so walking up and down the stairs?" That's the question I'd like answered.

On the subject of 14ers. I hiked to the summit of Mt. Elbert, which is Colorado's highest peak, some years back. I didn't have alot of trouble getting to the top. Sure, I was winded, but I made it to the top before my buddy who is a much fitter male. Though he came from ATL, and I suspect the elevation slowed him down significantly. That was the first and only 14er I've done. In fact, I met a couple other Okies at the summit who I enjoyed a packed lunch with. Afterwards though, I was exauhsted. Nearly ran someone off of the road on Independence Pass on the way to Aspen..

kevinpate
01-13-2010, 07:18 AM
If you don't need 20 stories at a whack, there's always the state capitol. Lots of stairs, ample water and restroom facilities if the need arises and for breaks you can take in some artwork and get in some flat ground strolls.

CuatrodeMayo
01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
You can sometimes find the OKC Fire Department go up and down the stairs in the Chase building.

Good luck finding the stairs on the first floor of some of the buildings though, they are somewhat hard to find if you aren't familiar with it.

Chase building stairs are right behind the security guard.

Could I just take the elevator to the 2nd floor then go to town?

rileygsd
06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I looked for stairs in the past and couldn't find any good places. I finally just joined a fitness program downtown. Go Warrior fitness (Go Warrior fitness Camp) | MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/gowarriorfitnesscamp) has a location at the chesapeake boathouse.