View Full Version : This is why Tulsa is broke....

circuitboard
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Water works director making $172,000 a year??? Really???

City Councilor Jack Henderson said Tuesday that all employees who make more than the mayor's $105,000 salary should have their pay dropped to that level to help alleviate budget cuts.

"How can we have people working for the city of Tulsa who make more than the mayor?" Henderson asked during council committee meetings.

"Be for real. We need to start at the top with the high-dollar salaries when we're cutting."

Tulsa World: Tulsa councilor questions higher city salaries (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100112_11_0_CityCo837933)

BG918
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree, salaries need to be cut before jobs. I know I'd rather get my salary cut than lose my jobs & benefits. Tulsa can avert lay-offs if they cut salaries and then raise them again once sales tax revenue improves. I think the plummeting sales tax revenue in the city has been a wake-up call that the suburbs are really hitting Tulsa hard with their new retail and dining establishments and that Tulsa needs to step up to not only retain residents but also sales tax revenue.

hoaryone
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Who is paid more, Boren and Hargis OR Stoops and Gundy? Just curious.

rcjunkie
01-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Who is paid more, Boren and Hargis OR Stoops and Gundy? Just curious.

1. Stoops
2. Gundy
3. Boren
4. Hargis

FFLady
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Anyone following the story there where 147 FireFighters jobs are on the chopping block? SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcjunkie
01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone following the story there where 147 FireFighters jobs are on the chopping block? SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad, but unfortunately it's a sign of the times and I fear the worst is yet to come. They were offered the chance to take a pay cut to save jobs, however, they voted against pay cuts.

lump9816
01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Tell the whole story rc, they would have taken the cuts if the city had promised, in writing that they wouldn't lay anyone off. But the city wouldn't agree to that. You're only trying , like the city, to make it look as if the fire department employees are greedy. BTW,as of yesterday afternoon it looks as if a deal has been reached.

rcjunkie
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Tell the whole story rc, they would have taken the cuts if the city had promised, in writing that they wouldn't lay anyone off. But the city wouldn't agree to that. You're only trying , like the city, to make it look as if the fire department employees are greedy. BTW,as of yesterday afternoon it looks as if a deal has been reached.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed ? A bit touchy aren't we!!

lump9816
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Not at all, just putting the story out there city hall and the mayor won't.

mugofbeer
01-23-2010, 09:32 PM

lump, I have no real knowledge of the situation but I would imagine that unless someone in city hall had a crystal ball to be able to forcast the future finances of the city, the city couldn't put that sort of agreement on paper. Who knows if and when things will improve - they might get even worse and they would have been forced to lay people off no matter what.

lump9816
01-24-2010, 08:53 AM
No argument here mug. Just saying that the mayor is portraying that the unions stance is that the union would sacrifice their own rather than take pay cuts, and that was not the truth.

rcjunkie
01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
No argument here mug. Just saying that the mayor is portraying that the unions stance is that the union would sacrifice their own rather than take pay cuts, and that was not the truth.
Not for the Police and Fire (as of today), but AFSCME did exactly that, voted down a reduction in salary and opted for layoffs.

Redskin 70
01-29-2010, 03:31 PM

Ok, not ture now.
The Tulsa FOP (police Union) did vote to take the layoff rather than a pay reduction of .13%.................

Wambo36
01-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Do you mean 13%?

Redskin 70
01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Do you mean 13%?
Yes:ohno:

Luke
01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Gubbmit' jobs are good ones if you can get 'em.

rcjunkie
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Gubbmit' jobs are good ones if you can get 'em.

I agree, had one for 27 plus years, retired in 2006 with great benefits.