View Full Version : Nook

HewenttoJared
01-12-2010, 05:32 AM
I've had an iphone for over a year now and I couldn't live without it. I read quite a lot and I've been looking at buying a Nook, if only for the reduced prices. I have subscriptions to many magazines, all of which appear to be cheaper on the Nook. Does anyone have any experience in transitioning from a smart phone to an e-reader for your daily dose of world news? I'm worried that I'm going to drop a load on this thing and find that in general my phone already did most of it.

flintysooner
01-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I've had an iphone for over a year now and I couldn't live without it. I read quite a lot and I've been looking at buying a Nook, if only for the reduced prices. I have subscriptions to many magazines, all of which appear to be cheaper on the Nook. Does anyone have any experience in transitioning from a smart phone to an e-reader for your daily dose of world news? I'm worried that I'm going to drop a load on this thing and find that in general my phone already did most of it.I use Kindle 2, Kindle app on iPhone, and Kindle app on PC.

Most books I've purchased for my Kindle have been cheaper than other versions. However, it isn't always true. It is not uncommon for a new release to be more expensive initially than later on. I suspect the Nook will be similar.

I have one magazine subscription on my K2: Business Week. It works fine for me but definitely is not the same as the hard cover magazine. I've tried other magazines and just have not found them satisfying.

I take The Oklahoman on my Kindle 2 and I do like it. I've tried others but not been happy enough with any to subscribe. In general for news on the go I use various web sites that are mobile formatted. I like The Oklahoman on my Kindle when I'm sitting and reading and drinking coffee and it is local. But just news I don't find the Kindle particularly useful.

I use the Kindle app on my iPhone surprisingly more than I expected. I find it very satisfying especially since I have it with me all the time. But I really do enjoy reading for pleasure more on my K2. But they are different experiences.

I have not used the Barnes & Noble reader on my iPhone very much but it doesn't seem as good to me as the Kindle app. I haven't had a chance to try a Nook but it doesn't appear to yet be up even to the Kindle level so there's no way now I would switch just because of my library for the Kindle.

Good luck with it and hope you post your experience.

flintysooner
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I just ordered a book for my K2: Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer (http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Tools-Essential-Strategies-ebook/dp/B000SEIW9E/ref=sr_oe_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263311549&sr=1-1&condition=used)(Kindle Edition) by Roy Peter Clark.

I paid $8.24 for the Kindle edition.

But I could have gotten a hardcover bargain at $8.00. Regular hardcover is $13.59. Paperback is $9.22. There's a spiral bound for $18.95. Then you can save money by buying from 3rd parties.

But I wanted the book available on all our Kindles so I bought the Kindle version.

Thought a real life example might help you on pricing issues.

gmwise
01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm still having finger neglect issues with electronic version of a book.
I believe it to be more environmental, but then my fingers need to turn the pages.

fredfredburger
01-20-2010, 06:50 AM
What kind of DRM does the Nook use? The reason many of my friends and I have steered clear of the Kindle is because of the heavy-handed DRM.

PennyQuilts
01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
I am also a kindle reader - love it. I also am surprised at how much I use my iphone for kindle applications. Now that I can get kindle downloads on my laptop, I use that sometimes but not as much as I expected. If I am going to be sitting around, I will either use my book sized kindle or my iphone. But it is nice to have the option of the laptop. The nice thing about having kindle on my laptop is that I wouldn't even have to buy anything extra since I already have it. But it is not something I'd like to have to read in bed or balance somewhere.

Don't know about Nook.

My personal experience has been that many, if not most of my women friends who read love their kindle. A lot of lady lawyers have them. The men are slower to get one and, surprisingly, a lot of my friends' husbands/boyfriends have cautioned against it even when that is not usually their way to interfere. Not sure what that is about. But I haven't had a female friend who regrets getting one.

I love not having stacks and stacks of paperbacks lying around. And the instant gratification of being able to get a book just about as soon as I want, undisciplined person that I am.

fuzzytoad
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
What kind of DRM does the Nook use? The reason many of my friends and I have steered clear of the Kindle is because of the heavy-handed DRM.

The DRM for Nook isn't as onerous as Kindle's, but its still there and will still screw you over if B&N ever gets out of the e-reader game(like they already did once by closing their old e-book division a couple years back).

Unlike Kindle, B&N will allow you to "lend" a book to a friend for 14 days before the protection kicks in.

So if you like to share books with your friends, or give away books, or keep books for generations, you're stuck with the physical medium for now.. Unless you wanna scan all your books to PDFs.

fredfredburger
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks, I won't be getting it then.

icemncmth
01-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I have had Ereaders in one form or the other for years. My current ereader is the Sony Pocket or the PRS-300. I went with the Sony for several reasons ..one is it runs a lot more formats and you can use it at the local library.

The Nook is nice but needs some firmware updates and the DRM can be a pain. You can strip the DRM off of some books and then use them how you see fit.

Give the Nook a year and see what happens. If you want to be able to just click on a book and read it without thinking then get a Kindle. If you want to read a lot of free books from Gutenberg or other places than don't get any ereader that is tied to a certain store.

Sony has an ebook store and it is OK but I buy most of my books from other places..

If you really want to find out about ebooks than google ...Mobile reads..

It is a great forum.

flintysooner
01-22-2010, 06:57 AM
On the sharing issue with the Kindle we have 4 users and 6 devices sharing the same library.

I am beginning to see other Kindles out and about now and I see people reading on iPhone Kindle app.

I've never seen another reader.