View Full Version : What the hell is up with 164th????

OUGrad05
01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I drove down 164th twice this weekend coming out of edmond, it looks like it is newly paved and it is so rough and wavey it is unbelievable. What happened? Was this a mistake on the contractors part? Is it just typical oklahoma road paving? It was absolutely pathetic!

OKCRT
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I will have to check it out but it wouldn't surprise me if it was done to keep speeds down.

SkyWestOKC
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Same thing happened in my neighborhood (which is on the south side though) There were a few cracks in the pavement, they replaced it with new....wavy concrete. The old ride was much smoother.

OUGrad05
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Same thing happened in my neighborhood (which is on the south side though) There were a few cracks in the pavement, they replaced it with new....wavy concrete. The old ride was much smoother.

This is asphalt and making ****ty roads to keeps speeds down is stupid...if I remember right it was especially bad between Santa Fe and Western....but dont hold me to that because I drove it only twice.

Steve
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
The road was failing - pot holes everywhere, bad patch jobs. City has it scheduled for widening and resurfacing, but couldn't wait until the road was engineered and ready for bidding. So the city did the repaving job you're enjoying so much to keep it open until the widening job can begin.

OUGrad05
01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
The road was failing - pot holes everywhere, bad patch jobs. City has it scheduled for widening and resurfacing, but couldn't wait until the road was engineered and ready for bidding. So the city did the repaving job you're enjoying so much to keep it open until the widening job can begin.

lol well its terrible, the road is a joke... :(

bradzilla
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
ditto, its a joke how bad that road is. i saw it for the first time a few weeks back and im surprised the people who live around there arent up in arms over it.

Steve
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
There is an argument to be made that those who live out on the city's fringe are in one way or another accepting that city services, infrastructure, isn't at the same level is in more established, older areas.

hipsterdoofus
01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
I know some people that live nearby that say it is like the road created in the movie "cars" if you have seen it - yeah it is pretty bad - that road has been terrible for years, and the traffic just keeps increasing on it. I believe they've done work on it multiple times, but it just needs to go down to dirt and start over. Personally I think it would almost be better as a gravel road than it is now.

Spartan
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
There is an argument to be made that those who live out on the city's fringe are in one way or another accepting that city services, infrastructure, isn't at the same level is in more established, older areas.

I wish. But the reality is as soon as you get tract housing appearing en masse people expect an area to become the Northwest Expressway overnight.

TheTravellers
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Finally asked OKC about some roads out around 150th-164th/Western-May and got a few answers. Here's what they had to say about 164th between Penn and Western:

"This is an ODOT managed project which is scheduled to begin 2/1/10"