View Full Version : Article on ESPN - On OKC as Basketball "Purgatory"

mheaton76
01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I thought this would be a negative article when I came across it, but it's actually really quite good:

read it here on ESPN: Is Oklahoma City an NBA purgatory or a fine place for ballers to chill? Scoop Jackson investigates. - ESPN (http://ow.ly/Ulcs)

Bunty
01-09-2010, 10:26 AM
So what do pro basketball players do in their spare time in Miami other than hang out at the beach?

mugofbeer
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
OK, I've been to Salt Lake City on numerous occasions and can say that OKC is at least on par with them on places that players would like to hang out. Not the least of which is SLC's Mormon influence (no disrespect meant to Mormons in any way) which keeps things there rather puritanical. SLC just has a long history, now, with the Jazz so players are a little more used to the area. Time will make them more used to OKC. Nothing will make OKC more enjoyable and not a "purgatory" for them than some winning seasons and the fact that players are pretty big fish in a little ocean. Some player projects, charitable events and new traditions will make OKC pretty nice to the ones that don't crave clubbing every night.

Hawk405359
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
ESPN running a story about OKC as an NBA City? And it's not completely negative?

Color me shocked.

Kerry
01-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Several Thunder players even alluded to the fact that being in OKC has allowed them to focus more on basketball than if the team were in another city.

"People always ask, 'Wouldn't you rather be in Miami or L.A.?'" Durant said. "I always tell them, 'No.' This place is perfect for me."

Maybe this is why the team is playing soooo much better.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I am no expert or anything but to my knowledge bricktown has quite a few clubs

Bunty
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Are any of the Thunder players married? Night life matters less, if so.

kevinpate
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I hope the next writer that is even slightly back handed in their writing has a terrible horrible no good very bad night on the 10th floor of the Skirvin.