View Full Version : school closings?

Pages : [1] 2

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Edmond schools closed today, OKC schools closed today and tomorrow..

seriously?

nik4411
01-07-2010, 06:51 AM
yep. it was said on the radio that the school districts take into account how many kids have to walk to and from school and then factor that into their decision.

pretty dumb though.

sacolton
01-07-2010, 07:09 AM
In my day, way back in 1983, Putnam City schools wouldn't close unless it was raining fire and brimstone. Now, if it gets chilly - they close the schools? Heck, the roads were dry this morning!

Thunder
01-07-2010, 07:17 AM
What is wrong with these people? You all seriously want to risk the kids? This is stupid. There are like 11,000 kids in the OKC district alone that walks to school. Look at the wind chills. You all want them to get frost bites and possibly freeze to death?

kmf563
01-07-2010, 07:18 AM
They were worried about those kids who have to stand out at the bus stop forever. Or even walk to school. Hey, here's an idea...get the buses there on time and they won't have to wait! Maybe even tell them to pick up a coat out of the lost and found box to put on. And tell them to not walk to school. If they can't find a ride or a bus, then stay home. But don't close the entire district because of a handful of kids that may or may not freeze to death. How am I supposed to teach my child that life goes on even when it's cold and to be responsible when they do this? Yes, I have to go to work today! They don't close because it's cold, I can't call in because I'm too cold. Pretty sure New York continues on. As do Alaskans. Every day.

benman
01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Yep, this is the track America is going down. A bunch of sissies who cant deal with everyday life. Its pitiful.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Yep, this is the track America is going down. A bunch of sissies who cant deal with everyday life. Its pitiful.

yeah, I'm scared to see how these kids turn out when they're adults.. if they even make that far.

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
yeah, I'm scared to see how these kids turn out when they're adults.. if they even make that far.

They will expect us to support them and make sure they have a warm meal and nice warm house.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
They will expect us to support them and make sure they have a warm meal and nice warm house.

So they can't have that if they're exposed to cold weather on the way to the bus or school??

**edit - Oh, I see what you're saying.. yeah, I can imagine this current generation of schoolkids living with mommy & daddy well into their 40's

sacolton
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
... and a XBOX 360 and PS3.

yukong
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Well Yukon schools made a late decision to close but it was because several schools are without power still. But they would never close because of a little cold. And a very large percentage of our students ride the
bus as we have a lot of rural route kids.

bombermwc
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
It's a total load of crap. There's no reason to close the entire district for cold. Do you think they do this in the north where this is the norm...no. And guess what, kids wait for the bus and walk there too. If the school doesn't have power, then close that invidividual school, otherwise kids need to be in the classroom. It's a total crap load of B.S. for sure. These kids can find alternative ways of getting to school if they want...and if they can't, then those parents need to make the decision of whether or not the kid needs to just stay home that day, not the district.

Yukon cancelled this morning because so many schools didn't have power. That I understand, but just beacuse it's cold...no.

kmf563
01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Psh. They don't need lights. Those kids could go to school too. LOL. Kidding of course.

My son gets to stay home today and he will not grow up to be worthless. He knows that he has 2 choices - get a job, or go to college. Either way, your time at home is limited.

On the other hand - I also taught him to not look a gifthorse in the mouth. Or whatever that saying is. Take your day off and enjoy it because it was given to you. If you boss calls and says stay home then by all means say yes thank you and take it. But you will not call in and say it's too cold. Ever.

MsProudSooner
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
The amount of state funding that schools receive is based on Average Daily Attendance. If a schools Average Daily Attendance drops their funding drops. If a school expects to have lower than norman attendance due to extreme weather or a flu outbreak, it makes sense for them to close the school and make those days up at the end of the year.

sacolton
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Are most of the schools staying closed for today and Friday?

hipsterdoofus
01-07-2010, 08:58 AM

or pay for their health care :dizzy:

CanRiv12
01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
While the schools primary motive was likely the safety of their students, it seems $$ might have been a great side reason. I mean...won't they save a good sum of money by not heating their schools today as opposed to running the A/C's a little when its 80 or so in May?

adaniel
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
How many of you claiming how wussy kids are nowadays are posting that from a warm home or building? If you are so tough, park you car a mile or 2 from your job and walk in tommorow morning.

And spare me the "back in my day" bs. I was talking to relatives last night and the last time it was this cold (early 1980's) most schools were closed. Also, Oklahoma schools are now required to attend schools at least 170 days or an hour equivalent, so its much easier to make up days now versus in the past.

bandnerd
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm sure part of it is OKCPS thinking about possible lawsuits if someone's child suffers from the cold, i.e. hypothermia or whatnot. Personally, I'm not too happy about it because only half of one of my classes was here (We do not follow OKCPS for closing decisions) and it's only because the kids said, hey, my friends didn't have to go to school, why should I? Annoying. That said, I would feel very sorry for a young kid waiting for a bus at 6:30 in the morning if it felt like -2°F.

calitook
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Part of the problem is that many kids don't have the right type of clothing for temps this cold, since they are rare. Also, another teacher told me that diesel fuel (school buses) can have problems starting in extremely cold temperatures. I googled this and it seems to be true. Anyhow, I'm not going to complain about getting to sleep in today.

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Early 1980's was yesterday. You have to go further back than that for me! :)

Thunder
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Only in Oklahoma, where we have people complaining about safety being put first for the kids.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
How many of you claiming how wussy kids are nowadays are posting that from a warm home or building? If you are so tough, park you car a mile or 2 from your job and walk in tommorow morning.

And spare me the "back in my day" bs. I was talking to relatives last night and the last time it was this cold (early 1980's) most schools were closed. Also, Oklahoma schools are now required to attend schools at least 170 days or an hour equivalent, so its much easier to make up days now versus in the past.

So you're saying that the schools aren't heated?

I didn't walk 2 miles into work, but I did spend 30 minutes outside scraping my car so I could drive, then I walked 4 blocks from my parking space.

I can understand the parents of children who actually have to walk "a mile or 2" not wanting their children exposed to the frigid air, but how many children are actually in that predicament? Enough to shut down the whole district?

I also see a number of people actually *gasp* working outside today. Should we protest the companies forcing those poor helpless adults who are forced to be outside?

gimme a break, this whole school closing is ridiculous, all it does is coddle a bunch of pussified children and cause problems at businesses who are suddenly shorthanded because mommy and/or daddy had to stay at home to hold their children's hands and change their nappies since it's too cold outside.

td25er
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
So you're saying that the schools aren't heated?

I didn't walk 2 miles into work, but I did spend 30 minutes outside scraping my car so I could drive, then I walked 4 blocks from my parking space.

I can understand the parents of children who actually have to walk "a mile or 2" not wanting their children exposed to the frigid air, but how many children are actually in that predicament? Enough to shut down the whole district?

I also see a number of people actually *gasp* working outside today. Should we protest the companies forcing those poor helpless adults who are forced to be outside?

gimme a break, this whole school closing is ridiculous, all it does is coddle a bunch of pussified children and cause problems at businesses who are suddenly shorthanded because mommy and/or daddy had to stay at home to hold their children's hands and change their nappies since it's too cold outside.

Are you or any of these workers a 53 pound poor kid w/o proper clothing?

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Are you or any of these workers a 53 pound poor kid w/o proper clothing?

If there's a glut of 53-pound poor kids in this state who can't survive for 15 minutes outside, so many that we *must* shut down school districts, then perhaps there's a bigger problem that needs to be addressed other than closing school.

Also, if they're soooo weak and frail and can't afford proper clothing, why would they be better off at home instead of in a heated environment?

How many of these poor, helpless, downtrodden babies have been doomed to an entire day of staying in an unheated, unfurnished crackhouse where all the clothing and food money goes to feed mommy's habit?

Some of you people astonish me.

It's cold outside, boohoo, go to school.

venture
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Okay people need to chill out. From someone who ACTUALLY did got to school up north where it gets colder than this...this is pretty much how it worked.

Well for one, we went to school for 183 days a year with 5 calamity days. The policy for the major urban district was different from those that served to the burbs/rural areas.

More than 5 inches of snow on streets - both urban & rural closed.
Wind Chill below -15 expected consistently - both closed.
Temp below 5 above for the high - both closed.
Freezing Rain - roads had to be ice covered by normally handled well, rural only normally.
Fog visibility under 1/8th of a mile - rural only delayed 2-3 hours or closed if it doesn't lift by mid morning.

That last point is something I've noticed they don't do here. There aren't any "delays" to the start of school. Back north they use this a lot so they don't have to utilize a full calamity day for closing school. They can do 2 hour start delays for 3 days before they use one up.

Either way, its about child safety and funding. If you guys want to shell out more in property taxes to have 100% bus coverage for all kids...by all means. Unfortunately most voters would strike down any levy that tried to come about to cover it.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Okay people need to chill out.

hehe

bluedogok
01-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm sure part of it is OKCPS thinking about possible lawsuits if someone's child suffers from the cold, i.e. hypothermia or whatnot.
Exactly, or if they get injured walking to school. Whether a lawsuit is valid or not is immaterial, it still costs the district money in defending itself.

Part of the problem is that many kids don't have the right type of clothing for temps this cold, since they are rare. Also, another teacher told me that diesel fuel (school buses) can have problems starting in extremely cold temperatures. I googled this and it seems to be true. Anyhow, I'm not going to complain about getting to sleep in today.
Diesel congeals as it gets colder unless it has additives in it to prevent that from happening, typically areas this far south do not have that additive because the extreme cold is rare. Down here people think it's freezing if it below 60, they have had their parkas and fur lined hats with ear flaps down all week, it was still in the 50's last night. I think our temps are supposed to be low 30's/low 20's and everyone is acting like a new ice age is coming.

Architect2010
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
In case some of you don't know. Oklahoma City Public Schools enrolls 42,750 kids. A large number of those are bus riders or walkers. It isn't a handful. It's over 10 thousand children. It's especially hazardous to those kids when a large number of OKCPS's students are below poverty level so you know they aren't going to best dressed for something that is a rare occurrence here. It doesn't matter anyways though. We'll be making these days up at the end of the year.

Someone else also mentioned heating in the schools. Believe it or not, my school, Southeast High will go without heating for days because they just stop working. It happened again last week and let me tell you, it is not fun trying to concentrate and work when your hands are frozen stiff. Same goes for the Air Conditioning in the summer.

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
If it is so cold outside that it is dangerous to go to school, I have to worry about the state of their home and their parent's ability to dress them properly.

I suspect the problem is that some parents either because they work or because they are still in bed, aren't there to supervise getting the kids off to school. The little kids are likely to not dress themselves, properly for the cold. Of course it is ridiculous to not properly supervise your kids and just isn't right. But it happens on a regular basis. On a regular day, the odds are that the child will be fine. On a day like today or tomorrow, the irresponsible parents wreck havoc on the rest of the world that is jumping through hoops to make sure they take up the slack.

kmf563
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
How many of those 42000 kids get free lunches? Because I bet more kids are home starving than would have frozen to death or sued this morning.

Here is another topic of discussion I learned from this that p's me off. I didnt know that our wonderful saving lottery money replaces the funding instead of adding to! No wonder they are getting all of this additional money and there are still schools without heat!

MadMonk
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm here in my nice warm office that I had to walk four blocks in the cold and wind to reach. I was cold, but so what?? Closing schools today simply because it was cold is completely ridiculous. What's next, it's too hot? Too wet? Whaaa! Bunch of whiners.

bandnerd
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Okay people need to chill out. From someone who ACTUALLY did got to school up north where it gets colder than this...this is pretty much how it worked.

Well for one, we went to school for 183 days a year with 5 calamity days. The policy for the major urban district was different from those that served to the burbs/rural areas.

More than 5 inches of snow on streets - both urban & rural closed.
Wind Chill below -15 expected consistently - both closed.
Temp below 5 above for the high - both closed.
Freezing Rain - roads had to be ice covered by normally handled well, rural only normally.
Fog visibility under 1/8th of a mile - rural only delayed 2-3 hours or closed if it doesn't lift by mid morning.

That last point is something I've noticed they don't do here. There aren't any "delays" to the start of school. Back north they use this a lot so they don't have to utilize a full calamity day for closing school. They can do 2 hour start delays for 3 days before they use one up.

Either way, its about child safety and funding. If you guys want to shell out more in property taxes to have 100% bus coverage for all kids...by all means. Unfortunately most voters would strike down any levy that tried to come about to cover it.

I think this is all very valuable information. I had wondered what they do up north. We just aren't used to really cold temps here...15 to us might as well be 0.

nik4411
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
i was out sitting in (literally) lake thunderbird at 6:45 waiting for sunrise and for flocks of ducks to come swooping in to their deaths. it wasn't THAT cold.

i agree with what some people said here about america becoming sissified. it is getting bad folks.

flippity
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm here in my nice warm office that I had to walk four blocks in the cold and wind to reach. I was cold, but so what?? Closing schools today simply because it was cold is completely ridiculous. What's next, it's too hot? Too wet? Whaaa! Bunch of whiners.

did you have a coat? a hat? gloves? scarf?

just wondering.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM

just wondering.

he was probably wearing a coat and scarf that he stoie from a poor, helpless schoolchild who was cowering under a car after a clap of thunder frightened him.

bandnerd
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Okay, so one of our teachers compiled this information. Here is the email he just sent to us.

So I’m kind of sending this information out as a joke, but once I started researching this I found it interesting. So if you have any students or parents complaining about being in school then here is some information to back up why we should be in school today. All of the following cities listed have plenty of children who would have to walk to school or wait for busses. Also, they would also have plenty of poor people who might not have proper clothing and jackets either. Here is the info:

City Avg. Jan Temp Thursday High Temp School

1. OKC 35 18 No

2. Wichita 30 17 Yes

3. Kansas City 26 10 Yes

4. Topeka 27 5 Yes

5. Omaha 22 6 (plus snow) Yes

6. Denver 30 14 Yes

7. Chicago 21 20 (plus heavy snow) Yes

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Okay, so one of our teachers compiled this information. Here is the email he just sent to us.

So I’m kind of sending this information out as a joke, but once I started researching this I found it interesting. So if you have any students or parents complaining about being in school then here is some information to back up why we should be in school today. All of the following cities listed have plenty of children who would have to walk to school or wait for busses. Also, they would also have plenty of poor people who might not have proper clothing and jackets either. Here is the info:

City Avg. Jan Temp Thursday High Temp School

1. OKC 35 18 No

2. Wichita 30 17 Yes

3. Kansas City 26 10 Yes

4. Topeka 27 5 Yes

5. Omaha 22 6 (plus snow) Yes

6. Denver 30 14 Yes

7. Chicago 21 20 (plus heavy snow) Yes

Well, I guess this is one way to keep 20-35 year olds in OKC.. raise them to be too frightened to ever leave.

bluedogok
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I can guarantee you there are adults as well as children (poor or wealthy) unprepared down here for anything below 40 degrees, just a fact of life.

I don't know why people are upset about kids being out of school, like someone else said, it isn't like the kids aren't going to make it up sometime later in the school year.

rcjunkie
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
My ex-wife is a teacher in Norman and my daughter is a teacher in Moore, both District's had school today, however, when they close due to weather, the biggest complaint they hear is from parents that have to either miss a day of work, or find last minute day care.

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, I guess this is one way to keep 20-35 year olds in OKC.. raise them to be too frightened to ever leave.

That is funny!

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
We can talk about wussy kids until the cows come home but the fact is, they aren't the ones making the decision so we can't lay it on them. If the reason the schools are closed is because the kids aren't dressed properly, that is the parents' fault. No coat, scarf or gloves? Ridiculous. Go to goodwill or layer up. That is just an excuse. If you have a caring parent, even a poor one, they are going to make sure their tyke is covered up and layers probably work better than some coats, anyway.

I think the schools should have stayed open, personally. I think it is ridiculous. It think it is shame that we have to worry that a five year old is going to stumble out of her house, half dressed on her way to the bus stop.

I think we just aren't used to the cold and someone over reacted.

sacolton
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, dress your kids like they are preparing for extended deep sea diving - like the little kid in "A Christmas Story" who couldn't put his arms down. :)

PennyQuilts
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, dress your kids like they are preparing for extended deep sea diving - like the little kid in "A Christmas Story" who couldn't put his arms down. :)

That's what I'm talking about, baby!!:woowoo:

bluedogok
01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
You mean like a tick about ready to pop?

venture
01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Just to make a side observation. Wind Chills today haven't gone below -10 yet, so schools probably overreacted. Tomorrow would probably have been the day to pull the trigger to close.

chrisok
01-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm working in Ohio this week. (About 1/2 way between Columbus and Pittsburgh)
I was surprised to see that many school districts in the Columbus area have been closed the better part of the week for cold. Other than today and Monday, there hasn't been any snow to speak of, and he snow we've gotten has been on the lighter side. The temps are cold but not much worse than back home (19-23 degrees for highs, but no wind).

I think the overreacting isn't just limited to us.

adaniel
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Just to make a side observation. Wind Chills today haven't gone below -10 yet, so schools probably overreacted. Tomorrow would probably have been the day to pull the trigger to close.

I tend to agree. With the sun out it warmed the temp. to about 23 today, versus a predicted high of 18. I still stand by what I previously said, if the wind chill was that low than school closure needed to at least be considered.

As far as wussy kids of today are concerned, I'm sure everyone's parents said that of your generation, and the generation before that said it of your parents. So by the time I have kids (I'm in my early 20's) children will be coddled fatties playing xbox and staying home when the temperatures dips below 40 :LolLolLol

kmf563
01-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Hey Edmond schools, if you are going to make a ridiculous decision, at least stand by it. I'm just sayin...

Really?

MadMonk
01-08-2010, 07:59 AM

just wondering.
Yes, but if I didn't should my entire company shut down for the day? I also have shirts, pants and underwear. Are we to close a school system if some of the kids can't find decent clothes to wear? The point is that the schools closed for everyone. For an individual to not go to school because of a lack of weather-appropriate clothing is understandable, but to close an entire school system because SOME of their students aren't prepared for the weather is absurd.

bombermwc
01-08-2010, 08:06 AM
ANother point is, the kids that are from families that are so economically deprived that maybe they can't afford the clothing....they can't afford the heat/electricity to keep their homes warm or the food to feed their children. These kids often have a better experience at school where they stay warm and get a hot meal. The Free Lunch programs help these children far more than them staying home to not eat at all because 1 - they probably don't know how to cook yet and their parent had to go to work, and 2- they probably have their heat turned down to 55 or 60 at home anyway because they can't afford it.

ONG and OG&G have programs to help these people, but that doesn't mean that they can afford to crank the heat up (and no they won't cut people off in extreme conditions like this), but when that bill comes at the end of the month...something has to give.

Now they have 2 more days of ONG to pay.

kmf563
01-08-2010, 08:13 AM
When I was growing up we didn't have heat or air. Not that we couldn't afford to turn it up...we didn't HAVE it. I remember a year when it was terribly cold and snow was everywhere, had to be the early 80"s. We literally lit the oven, it was gas, and left it open to warm the house. There are several homes that still do not have heat or air. These are the homes that house some of these kids in the okc school district.

OKCisOK4me
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
And yet another point - What are we teaching these kids? Are they going to be responsible enough to make that decision to go to work when their outer bubble is not all warm & fuzzy?! Will future work forces receive calls from these kids when they're all grown up telling them they can't come to work because it's too cold outside? Or that it's raining too hard?? Or will they even have jobs because they expect everyone to hand them their life on a silver platter?!

I'm sorry, but life on a silver platter is suppose to be given to you by your parents--not society. These kids, if we keep doing this to them will expect this as the norm and will in effect become as worthless as the parents, who can't dress them properly or understand that their work will be completely fine with them being late to work or having to leave work for a half hour because for two days they actually had to drive their kids to school because the buses weren't running and classes were delayed a couple of hours for warmer temperatures.

What is wrong with a half day? I think the superintendent of the district or whoever it is that made that decision needs to rethink their decision making skills. Besides, it could very well be another 20 years before temps like this happen again...

gmwise
01-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Good post.

rcjunkie
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
And yet another point - What are we teaching these kids? Are they going to be responsible enough to make that decision to go to work when their outer bubble is not all warm & fuzzy?! Will future work forces receive calls from these kids when they're all grown up telling them they can't come to work because it's too cold outside? Or that it's raining too hard?? Or will they even have jobs because they expect everyone to hand them their life on a silver platter?!

I'm sorry, but life on a silver platter is suppose to be given to you by your parents--not society. These kids, if we keep doing this to them will expect this as the norm and will in effect become as worthless as the parents, who can't dress them properly or understand that their work will be completely fine with them being late to work or having to leave work for a half hour because for two days they actually had to drive their kids to school because the buses weren't running and classes were delayed a couple of hours for warmer temperatures.

What is wrong with a half day? I think the superintendent of the district or whoever it is that made that decision needs to rethink their decision making skills. Besides, it could very well be another 20 years before temps like this happen again...

It was not only the outside temperature, but due to mechanical problems, several schools had NO HEAT.

I hope it doesn't happen for at least another 20 years, I hate hearing people bitch about something so stupid.

bandnerd
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

...I hate hearing people bitch about something so stupid.

This. 100% this.

Buickcarnut
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Your kidding me right? What's next, it's too hot outside and my kids will have heatstroke. I went to grade school up north and it wasn't uncommon to have temps with a windchill in the negative. And no, I won't spare you the "back in my day" talk. Back in my day kids respected their parents and their teachers, back in my day you went to school no matter what, back in my day you got the hand or the belt, not timeout, I could go on and on. Let's stop making excuses about why they can't do this or that, and while I'm at it, parents need to step up to the plate!!!

BTW, I don't have any problem with the cold, heck lets push it to 5 miles walking to work, the distance I walked in the winter to school if I missed the bus.

rcjunkie
01-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Your kidding me right? What's next, it's too hot outside and my kids will have heatstroke. I went to grade school up north and it wasn't uncommon to have temps with a windchill in the negative. And no, I won't spare you the "back in my day" talk. Back in my day kids respected their parents and their teachers, back in my day you went to school no matter what, back in my day you got the hand or the belt, not timeout, I could go on and on. Let's stop making excuses about why they can't do this or that, and while I'm at it, parents need to step up to the plate!!!

BTW, I don't have any problem with the cold, heck lets push it to 5 miles walking to work, the distance I walked in the winter to school if I missed the bus.

Apparently you failed to read the entire reason for closing the OKC schools, while they did consider the outside temperature, many schools had no heat (due to mechanical problems). Having kids sit in unheated classrooms for 7 hours would accomplish what ?, How could the teacher effectively teach in this environment.

sacolton
01-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Strange. Where's the rush for the school closings on a day that actually makes sense? They sure are taking their time to make an announcement. As this time, Oklahoma City Public Schools, Edmond, Putnam City Schools are still open.

Now they are crying because if they close it'll tap into their summer vacation.

venture
01-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I think all are closed now. There was confusion on the timing of the freezing rain...with some outlets saying it would hold off until afternoon, when it actually won't now.