View Full Version : Okay, let's get those MAPS signs picked up!

okiedokiegames
01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
The roads are fairly clear, the holidays are over and we are coming up on the vote being a month old. So how about everyone picking up their MAPS signs?

I'll even help. I'll point out the ones that I see so the folks who felt so strongly about the vote can feel strongly about keeping OKC clean and pick up their trash.

PRO MAPS:
NE corner of Council & Hefner
On Council Between 122nd & 133th
On Council between Hefner & NW EXP

CON MAPS:
NW EXP, east of Council, north side of road.

Spartan
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately it's illegal for citizens to remove campaign signs from rights of ways. Technically under the city ordinance it's not illegal to put them there, but it does specifically say you can't go in the right of way and remove it. The city has special crews for removing the signs.

Stupid, I know.

Urbanized
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I think the law only applies to removing them prior to the election(?).

Spartan
01-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Not sure, I would assume that it includes post election because the ordinance came about when the city first established a sign-removing crew to keep people out of high-traffic roadways. The ordinance was designed to cut down on citizens doing the work of the sign-removing crew, not the NTM folks running around stealing YES signs all around town.

Urbanized
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Perhaps Fritter Girl could come in and enlighten us. Seems she posted about this specifically at some point during the election. I just don't want to wade through all of the election bile to find her posts.

Urbanized
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Also, fritters are delicious.

Urban Pioneer
01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately it's illegal for citizens to remove campaign signs from rights of ways. Technically under the city ordinance it's not illegal to put them there, but it does specifically say you can't go in the right of way and remove it. The city has special crews for removing the signs.

Stupid, I know.

As someone who now knows a great deal about this (LOL), Spartan is exactly right. It is technically illegal for any regular person to go remove a political sign (even if it is illegally placed).

You need to just allow the city to remove it with their authorized personnel or become deputized through the zoning/neighborhood services department. Deputation requires going to a once a year class, and you can only remove the signs within the neighborhood which you live.

okiedokiegames
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I say that the scum that placed them illegally (and they are illegal) should break the law again and pick the damn things up!

OKCTalker
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Can anyone state when where a citizen was cited for picking up a campaign sign AFTER the election?

Spartan
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Can anyone state when where a citizen was cited for picking up a campaign sign AFTER the election?

I don't know, probably hasn't happened too often, but keep in mind that it's the fuzz who issue tickets to lowly citizens like us..

rcjunkie
01-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Pick up all Vote yes signs, deliver to and dump them on the front lawn of City Hall.

Pick up all Not This Maps Signs, deliver to and dump them by the front door of the FOP or Firefighters Union Hall.

Track employee cost's (time, fuel, equip. cost) send all parties in itemized bill plus had the appropriate delivery charge.