View Full Version : Let's be thankful.

Laramie
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Clay Bennett & PBC bought & relocated this team to Oklahoma City; they went through hell and back to achieve making OKC home to the NBA's former Seattle Supersonics.

Clay Bennett was in constant danger while he was the team's CEO in Seattle when it became apparent of the owners' intent to relocate.

Let's face it; Seattle wanted the team and they wanted the Oklahoma connection to pay a high price and keep the team in the Emerald City.

These guys shelled out far beyond the market value to bring Oklahoma its first Fab Four Major League franchise.

We showed our appreciation by approving MAPS for Hoops (Extension of MAPS-MAPS for KIDS...) to make the necessary Arena upgrades & Practice facility to insure the survival of this franchise.

The Oklahoma Legislature approved some incentives to make it more attractive for the team to get set up.

As I reflect back on the process we went through to get this franchise to the Capital of Soonerland; we have much in which to be thankful.

Oklahoma City :yourock:

What are your thoughts?

theparkman81
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I wonder what major league franchise that Clay is going to bring to OKC next.

savage99
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Let's also be thankful that the franchise does not have to pay sales tax to the City of Oklahoma City on the tickets they sell. Fortunately they get to keep all those millions.

gmwise
01-08-2010, 08:06 PM
...Clay Bennett was in constant danger while he was the team's CEO in Seattle when it became apparent of the owners' intent to relocate.....

Too bloody bad someone didnt make it REAL for him or the others.
The only danger was by the Courts and the Commissioner (of the league),the most spineless little spot of sh*t.

z28james
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Ia agree those guy make alot of money are should assume the risks and dont feel bad when they lose money, but hey they did bring us a pro team to this market, I say they can have whatever they want as long as the team is here and the fans are happy.

dcsooner
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I am in complete agreement with those sentiments. I had the pleasure of shaking Mr. Bennetts hand at a game last year and I thanked him for what he and his partners had done to bring the team to OKC . Both the city and the State have and will continue to benefit from the Thunder being in OKC in so many ways not the least of which is a new found optimisim in any possibility for the city as a result of CB and the other owners obtaining something many of us thought was a virtual impossibility. OKC is extremely fortunate to have men and women with resources that believe in the city and are willing to invest their money. I must also say that the citizens of OKC are to be applauded as well in that they have also chosen to invest in or community which is extremely encouraging.

rcjunkie
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Too bloody bad someone didn't make it REAL for him or the others.
The only danger was by the Courts and the Commissioner (of the league),the most spineless little spot of sh*t.

Rude, tacky, uncalled for, etc;

Tell me gmwise, how long and well do you know Clay Bennett, Jeffrey Records Jr., Bill Cameron, Rob Howard, Aubrey McClendon, Tom Ward, Everett Dobson, Jay Scaramucci, and can you give facts as to why they are (in your eyes) spineless pieces of sh*t.

On second thought, keep your offensive comments to yourself.

betts
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Let's also be thankful that the franchise does not have to pay sales tax to the City of Oklahoma City on the tickets they sell. Fortunately they get to keep all those millions.

Are you sure about this? First of all, I'm quite sure if they're charging sales tax they're not keeping it. But, the Hornets had sales tax waived, and I don't remember reading that the Thunder tickets had sales tax waived on their tickets. I do know that there's a $1 seat tax on every season ticket sold, which goes to the city, although I don't know about tickets sold at the box office.

I'm very thankful the Thunder are here, and I've very grateful that the owners spent $350 million of their own money for the team, as well as $75 million to move them, with absolutely no guarantee of a profit. The profit made by the average NBA team is far less than you would make investing that kind of money, so I consider bringing a team here a philanthropic gesture by the owners.

Laramie
01-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Betts for responding to this issue. There are so often too much misinformation out there that becomes clouded with other issues.

It's unfortunate that we have issues concerning who is paying taxes and who isn't; it's always going to be this way.

This City will continue to progress in the right direction as long as we are vilgilent and patience.

RedDirt717
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
The advertisement an NBA team has brought to this city is intangible not just in the United States but world wide.

The amount of money the city is going to receive in tourism, enterprise, business relocation, and prestige because of the NBA is unfathomable.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Clay bennet 4 prezident

Laramie
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
The advertisement an NBA team has brought to this city is intangible not just in the United States but world wide.

The amount of money the city is going to receive in tourism, enterprise, business relocation, and prestige because of the NBA is unfathomable.

You're correct; also, just think about the community service appearances and projects the NBA has brought to the OKC area--these are truely the intangibles...

One of the advantages that Indianapolis had over Oklahoma City when it came down to site selection for the United Maintance facility was that they had professional sports which enhanced their quality of life.

:welcome55

Laramie
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I wonder what major league franchise that Clay is going to bring to OKC next.

If Bennett and PBC goes after another franchise it won't be in Oklahoma City.

The NFL and NBA doesn't allow you to own both franchises in the same city.

Paul Allen of Seattle owns the Seattle Seahawks and the NBA's Portland Trailblazers; either the NFL or NBA forbids the owner to be a franchise owner in both leagues.