View Full Version : Finally got a new computer!!!

dirtrider73068
02-14-2005, 02:47 AM
Well I finally after 4 years got a new pc! Its a hp pavilion a705w-b. So far using 2night or uh this morn it has been great. Has a 17" flat crt monitor 2.93 ghz intel celeron 256kb l2 cache 256mb pc2700 sdram 40gb hard drive cd-rw/dvd-rom 9-in-1 mem card reader. Has the win xp loaded on it which I am haveing to learn was use to the win me edition. It didn't come with a printer but I have my old printer that should work. It only cost like bux! I wsishe it had the flat panel lcd screen but maybe I can get one later so it takes up less room. I have been happy with it, and loving it.

Floating_adrift
02-14-2005, 07:38 AM
grats!

mranderson
02-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Well I finally after 4 years got a new pc! Its a hp pavilion a705w-b. So far using 2night or uh this morn it has been great. Has a 17" flat crt monitor 2.93 ghz intel celeron 256kb l2 cache 256mb pc2700 sdram 40gb hard drive cd-rw/dvd-rom 9-in-1 mem card reader. Has the win xp loaded on it which I am haveing to learn was use to the win me edition. It didn't come with a printer but I have my old printer that should work. It only cost like bux! I wsishe it had the flat panel lcd screen but maybe I can get one later so it takes up less room. I have been happy with it, and loving it.

Dude! Why not a Dell?

Midtowner
02-14-2005, 08:07 AM
http://www.tvacres.com/images/dell_dude3a.jpg

dirtrider73068
02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I wish I coudl have gotten a dell but the stuff I want on it would hav ebeen out of my price range. I have compared them to other systems. I am pleased wiht this one for now I did have a gateway and never will ever own another gateway again.

Karried
03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
swwweeeeeetttttttttttt! :Smiley199 Nothing like a new computer - you'll get used to xp quickly. I had ME and hated it, but I love xp - I have the professional version but I believe the home version is similar so if you have any questions, email me...

have you downloaded adaware or spybot search yet?

Those are the two I use to get rid of the little critters (spyware that can slow your computer) let me know if you need help with that ... it's really easy - actually just go to download.com and click on most popular downloads - free and easy to use.

dirtrider73068
03-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes I have got the spybot search and destroy one of the first things I got on it, it still runs slow to me doesn't like to open programs fast enough. For example opening win explor takes it a few seconds but I guess I can live with it. It is faster than my old one and able do to things and look at pics now, my old one acted like it was loading half in safe mode and half not. I also read that you should do virus and adaware scans in safe mode you have a better chance at catching them. But how do you get win xp to run in safe mode? I am enjoying the flat screen much clearer than a regular moniter that is for sure. Someday I will upgrade to a flat panel lcd screen just so it doesn't take so much room up.

Keith
03-06-2005, 09:01 PM
You are exactly right, Karried. A new computer is sweet!! I bought a Dell system back in Christmas 2003, and I made sure it had Windows XP home edition. Plus, I have Spybot, Norton Antivirus 2005, and adaware on it. I love it!!

Karried
03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
dirtrider, what connection do you have? Are you on cable, dsl or dial up? That will determine how fast the programs open.... I just run my spyware in regular mode, seems to catch most of them.... but this tells you how to get to safe mode if you think you need to....

To start the computer in safe mode

Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.
In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
On XP it may be Start, click Turn Off Computer

dirtrider73068
03-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I have dial up but still, even before it will load the info from the web the window itself takes a few second to open like its haveing to search for the program to open it.

Karried
03-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Do you have the option of getting Cox cable? That will enable you to open programs instantaneously... I had dial up awhile ago while my cable was down and it was so slow - you will really notice the difference, if you do work from home, it will really make a difference in how fast you can see other web pages... there are lots of ways to configure your internet explorer, options like viewing pics etc but realistically, nothing compares to the speed of cable or DSL in my opinion. It's like driving a Ferrari in a school zone, doesn't matter how great the car is, you just can't go fast!

dirtrider73068
03-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I live in noble so the option of haveing cox is out or I would go for it. I have checked into the sbc dsl but they wanted a 200 deposit, so I opted to stay on dial up. I have a web acceralrator the speeds up the web loading by compressing the data, but still just opeing any programs takes a few seconds to get it fully loaded, but like I said I can live with it. Unless I put it in more memory, it has 256 I think so that should be enough. I am just proud enough to have a new computer that works right instead of locking up or crashing or just flat restarting on its own.

Karried
03-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Well it sounds like you have checked into it, the only other thing would be is to disable some of the viewing options in IE but you would miss out on a lot of graphics, do you have any pop blockers that might affect viewing? ..... I think the dial up is the culprit here but some others might have other ideas... you do have IE 6 right? Maybe some of the pros on this board can help better than I.

But, don't let the fact that the programs open a little slower ruin the fun of a new computer! That's great, I'm just thinking of ways to get you online more quickly ....

dirtrider73068
03-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I am running ie6 I have pop up blocker but have it turned off so its not it. No its not going to get me down I am enjoying my new computer no matter what, Like I said its way way better than my old one. I may have to check in my cable provider for this area they have the cable internet but don't know for how much though, being on a tight budget gotta keep it cheap. If its not to bad I can do without some stuff to have that fast online time since thats where I spend most my time anyway!

okcpulse
03-08-2005, 01:03 AM
dirtrider, get rid of ie6 and install Mozilla Firefox 1.0 browser for free. You don't even need a pop-up blocker.

dirtrider73068
03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I have heard about that firefox but have heard that its got stuff missing htat ie has. I have been useing ie since I have had a computer about 4 years ago. One thing I have thought about is the proccess that are runining in the back ground I have looked under msconfig and tried to turn off a few to make it run better but things I needed to run in the background went away. Does anybody know about that type of stuff with win xp. I was able to do it on my win me but Have a hard time figureing it out on xp. When I was in there adn looked there is a ton of stuff running and wnder if that is why its running kinda slow? Would turing off some of that stuff mkae it run and start up faster? I want to keep my norton anti virus adn firewall on of course but alot of other stuff turned off. If anybody is good with these things let me know by replying here or pm me and I can call or call me and see if we can get it configure to work better. Its ok now but needs some adjusting then it would be perfect.

MasterWolf
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I have heard about that firefox but have heard that its got stuff missing htat ie has. I have been useing ie since I have had a computer about 4 years ago. One thing I have thought about is the proccess that are runining in the back ground I have looked under msconfig and tried to turn off a few to make it run better but things I needed to run in the background went away. Does anybody know about that type of stuff with win xp. I was able to do it on my win me but Have a hard time figureing it out on xp. When I was in there adn looked there is a ton of stuff running and wnder if that is why its running kinda slow? Would turing off some of that stuff mkae it run and start up faster? I want to keep my norton anti virus adn firewall on of course but alot of other stuff turned off. If anybody is good with these things let me know by replying here or pm me and I can call or call me and see if we can get it configure to work better. Its ok now but needs some adjusting then it would be perfect.

I havent really messed with the stuff in the processes section of the MSCONFIG window. I usually dont mess with the stuff that say Microsoft Corporation next to it. But, There should be a few that you might be able to turn off but not sure. Ill check into it. But even if you turn off some of the processes, you might see a little difference, but probrably not a lot.

okcpulse
04-13-2005, 08:00 AM

As many on this forum know, I built my PC. It is a PC2700 with 1GB of DDR 333 MHz RAM, 80 GB hard drive, 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card, DVD-RAM/-R drive, CD-R/RW drive, Front Panel I/O sound connection with monster jacks, and an AMD Athlon 2200 XP 1.8 GHz CPU and of course Windows XP. My wife has the laptop.

I plan to save money to build a new PC with a PCI-Express motherboard, ATI Radeon X850XT 256 MB graphics card, 2 GB DDR3 Ballistix RAM, 2.6 GHz AMD FX-55 processor. By the time I have enough dough saved, it will be half the cost it is now.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm getting a laptop for school soon.. Been watching the Dell coupons on gotapex.com.

I may have found what I want today. A 600m, nearly fully loaded and $750 off!

:)

renffahcs
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
If your ever in FTW check out the Radio Shack outlet. I got a refurbished Compaq Presario notebook with a 40gb hard drive, AMD 1900 Athlon processor, 512 ram, 1.6ghz for $440. Sweet!!!!! They also have plenty of desktops too at great prices. I think they may be old Radio Shack employee computers.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
If your ever in FTW check out the Radio Shack outlet. I got a refurbished Compaq Presario notebook with a 40gb hard drive, AMD Athlon processor, 512 ram, 1.6ghz for $440. Sweet!!!!!

I worked at RadioShack for 8 1/2 years (started when I was 16, so I'm not that old).

Can't say as I want to darken that door ;)

renffahcs
04-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Quote by Midtowner

"(started when I was 16, so I'm not that old)."

I thought you said your first computer had vacuum tubes????

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Quote by Midtowner

"(started when I was 16, so I'm not that old)."

I thought you said your first computer had vacuum tubes????

My first computer was an Apple //c.

My keyboard had muppets on it.