View Full Version : OKC, New Promise Land of SouthWest?

Pages : [1] 2

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
In the southwest U.S. every city has had their time, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Pheonix, Las Vegas. Back in the early 70's at the peak of the oil boom in the southwest, Oklahoma City and Tulsa were the fastest growing cities in the southwest along with Dallas, and Houston. But what happened? I will tell you what happened. Sunbelt conservatives in Oklahoma, and them good ol Oklahoma boys on the hill wanted to run Oklahoma as a business, and guess what, they kept their business in the family. Thats why you saw more small independent companies, family owned, rather than big corporations coming to Oklahoma. The last free standing skyscraper was built in OKC was over 25 years ago! This resulted in the growth of Oklahoma to be stagnant in the late 70's to early 90's. Dallas, Houston, and Austin left OKC in the dust. But don't cry my friend. OKC is now the new Mecca of the SouthWest. With our dominant energy and medical field industry, and recession proof ecomony. You already see people moving to OKC metro area, and growth like never before. It's our time.

JohnDenver
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't see what our "recession proof" economy. What we have is a ton of service industry jobs and fast food. The reason we didn't feel massive effects of the housing bubble is because of the low demand anyhow.

Nor do I see our dominant medical field. We don't have cutting edge medicine like the other cities you mentioned.

The one area I think we can dominate is wind and solar energy. I hope we can do it. Otherwise I don't see any other industry taking OKC to the next level.

mugofbeer
01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
We're doing OK but so are all the larger cities in TX (save for El Paso). I just hope we can start attracting or grow some good non-energy companies so our economy can become more diversified.

ddavidson8
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM
So you want less Christians and more Muslims?

sroberts24
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
We're doing OK but so are all the larger cities in TX (save for El Paso). I just hope we can start attracting or grow some good non-energy companies so our economy can become more diversified.

agreed

Kerry
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
G. Walker - if you look at the history of OKC, we go through a growth spurt about every 25 years. Your right about that time being now. I'll tell you one thing that helped Dallas in the late 70's and early '80, the TV show Dallas. Don't underestimate the power of that TV show to drive business and people to Dallas at that time. South Fork Ranch was a huge tourist attraction.

As you mentioned, Oklahoma had more than it share of corruption back then that kept a lot of companies from moving to Oklahoma.

OKScam - The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal (http://prowlingowl.com/Comments/OKScam.cfm)

In the spring of 1981, with tape recordings and plea agreements in hand, FBI agents fanned out across the state and gave commissioners the chance to turn themselves in. In the first week, Gibbons said thirty or forty commissioners agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and obstructing the IRS. By July 1981, 100 people had signed a plea agreement. In most cases, commissioners who agreed to cooperate with the government received probation or one or two years in jail. Others who decided to take their cases to trial ended up serving jail time anywhere from seven up to 20 years.

The list of suspects grew longer and longer and investigators saw the pattern of fraud winding its way down from northwest Oklahoma to the southwest part of the state and then into north Texas. By the end of the investigation several years later, there were around 280 total fraud convictions, including thirty or forty people in Texas.

"Number wise, this was the biggest political corruption case in FBI history," Gibbons said.

Matt
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
The mere suggestion that OKC is somehow turning into the "new Mecca" is deeply insulting and offensive to our city's extensive Muslim population.

gen70
01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
The mere suggestion that OKC is somehow turning into the "new Mecca" is deeply insulting and offensive to our city's extensive Muslim population. Yer kiddn... right?

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't see what our "recession proof" economy. What we have is a ton of service industry jobs and fast food. The reason we didn't feel massive effects of the housing bubble is because of the low demand anyhow.

Nor do I see our dominant medical field. We don't have cutting edge medicine like the other cities you mentioned.

The one area I think we can dominate is wind and solar energy. I hope we can do it. Otherwise I don't see any other industry taking OKC to the next level.

Oklahoma has a strong energy industry, with oil and natural gas. Take Devon, Chesapeake, and SandRidge energy for example. They are major leaders in their industry in the U.S. These companies produce high-end jobs for people, who invest and spend their money in Oklahoma. That is why Core 2 Shore project is 50% privately funded by Oklahoma banks, like the Kirkpatrick Foundation. Whit-Collars employees need nice homes, nice retail, and entertainment. That is why you will see boost in the infrastructure around the new Devon Tower. Needless to say the Core 2 Shore project well before Devon decided to build new skyscraper. The medical is growing, take drive on Lincoln and NE 13 by OU medical Center, Dean McGee eye institute and you will see growth, and there are more cancer and heart research facilities going up in the metro then I can count.

Kerry
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
The mere suggestion that OKC is somehow turning into the "new Mecca" is deeply insulting and offensive to our city's extensive Muslim population.

You confused Mecca - the geographic name, with mecca - the noun. The hint is the capital 'M'. Of course the work Mecca (noun) was used in the title so it should have been capitalized, so the confusion is understood. Hope that helped.

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 09:03 AM

I was using Mecca in a metaphoric form, as for growth, as people will be moving here in large numbers. Mecca was considered the promise land for Muslims. I was using the word in a symbolic form, not to insult anyone.

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 09:06 AM
You confused Mecca - the geographic name, with mecca - the noun. The hint is the capital 'M'. Of course the work Mecca (noun) was used in the title so it should have been capitalized, so the confusion is understood. Hope that helped.

Thanks!

oknacreous
01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
The notion that OKC or any other city is "recession proof" is absurd.

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
The notion that OKC or any other city is "recession proof" is absurd.

Of course we will fill the effects of a recession, but not has hard as other cities, OKC is growing at a faster rate then ever before.

Architect2010
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Yes, actually. Diversity attracts people and businesses. There is nothing wrong with Muslims, we need more of everything besides Christians.

Matt
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
You can change the thread title all you want, G.Walker, but the screencaps have already been taken.

mugofbeer
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
OKC just better hope and pray that the Exxon's, BP's, Conoco-Phillip's of the world don't come to OKC raiding Devon or Chesapeake (or both). Though they would be hard takeover targets due to the OKC-centric nature of their CEO's, it would not be impossible for these behemouth companies to launch hostile takeovers. Lose those and our economy goes into the dumpster in a big hurry.

Kerry
01-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, actually. Diversity attracts people and businesses. There is nothing wrong with Muslims, we need more of everything besides Christians.

So no more Christians can move to OKC unless some die or move away? When did OKC get a Christian quota?

rcjunkie
01-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Quick, someone call the "Village" I found him!!

rcjunkie
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Wow, that "Village" has two!!

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
OKC just better hope and pray that the Exxon's, BP's, Conoco-Phillip's of the world don't come to OKC raiding Devon or Chesapeake (or both). Though they would be hard takeover targets due to the OKC-centric nature of their CEO's, it would not be impossible for these behemouth companies to launch hostile takeovers. Lose those and our economy goes into the dumpster in a big hurry.

I believe Devon can hold its ground, now for Chesapeake, I don't know. But you are right, all business is not good business. We will see over the next two years exactly how OKC can compete with cities like Dallas.

semisimple
01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Dallas, Houston, and Austin left OKC in the dust. But don't cry my friend. OKC is now the new Mecca of the SouthWest. With our dominant energy and medical field industry, and recession proof ecomony. You already see people moving to OKC metro area, and growth like never before. It's our time.

OKC may be seeing "growth like never before," but it's still not even close to Austin let alone Dallas or Houston. OKC does NOT have a "dominant 'medical field' industry" and OU HSC is far from being a major medical research center on a national level. Have you been to Austin lately? The amount of development and activity in downtown OKC pales in comparison. Texas's cities left OKC in the dust a long time ago and the gap continues to get wider--MAPS 3 isn't likely to reverse that trend, either.

The one area I think we can dominate is wind and solar energy.

Perhaps in the construction of wind farms around town, but as far as the R&D of these technologies is concerned--no way. Again, OKC has been left in the dust because there's very little high technology R&D, particularly compared to Austin.

G.Walker
01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
OKC may be seeing "growth like never before," but it's still not even close to Austin let alone Dallas or Houston. OKC does NOT have a "dominant 'medical field' industry" and OU HSC is far from being a major medical research center on a national level. Have you been to Austin lately? The amount of development and activity in downtown OKC pales in comparison. Texas's cities left OKC in the dust a long time ago and the gap continues to get wider--MAPS 3 isn't likely to reverse that trend, either.

Perhaps in the construction of wind farms around town, but as far as the R&D of these technologies is concerned--no way. Again, OKC has been left in the dust because there's very little high technology R&D, particularly compared to Austin.

Yes, over the last 5 years Austin has seen major growth, They have built like 5 new skyscrapers in their business district, in the last few years alone. They have gone under a major urban renewal, but you don't think OKC can do that to?

silvergrove
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
OU HSC is far from being a major medical research center on a national level

It may not be Harvard or Stanford but OUHSC is certainly not a bottom dweller either:

Best Places to Work: Industry 2009 - Top 40 US Institutions (http://www.the-scientist.com/fragments/bptw/2009/academia/bptw-academia-top40.jsp)

The OMRF is well recognized on the national level as a private research institution.

Kerry
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
It may not be Harvard or Stanford but OUHSC is certainly not a bottom dweller either:

Best Places to Work: Industry 2009 - Top 40 US Institutions (http://www.the-scientist.com/fragments/bptw/2009/academia/bptw-academia-top40.jsp)

You rirght - according to your link OUHSC beat both Harvard and Stanford.

okcpulse
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM

EVERY city has a ton of service jobs and fast food. Oklahoma City has a ton of government jobs at Tinker and the FAA. The medical industry has a huge employment base in OKC as well, in addition to a laundry list of small firms that add up fast.

Mercy Health Center is a Magnet hospital. It is in the same league as John Hopkins and M.D. Anderson. And lest you forget that Oklahoma City has one of only three proton cancer treatment centers in the U.S. with another opening at OUHSC.

I agree, but people don't realize that energy firms can and will capitalize on green energy. They know the oil and gas will run out just like everyone else. Trust me, the energy giants plan ahead.

semisimple
01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

The OMRF is well recognized on the national level as a private research institution.

You're kidding, right? That list has nothing to do with the academic quality of the school nor its research output. Total research expenditures are a much more relevant and accurate way to gauge the impact of an institution in research, coupled with its ranking(s). Just to throw out some numbers:

OU HSC, OKC, FY 2009: $121 million
UT Southwestern medical school, Dallas, FY 2008: $371 million
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, FY 2008: $559 million
Harvard medical school, FY 2008: $453 million
Stanford medical school, FY 2008: $688 million

Number 20 on the top 20 institutions for medical research expenditures was NYU at $311 million, so OU is nowhere close to being amongst the top medical schools for research spending. Moreover, all UT medical school campuses except Tyler (San Antonio, Houston, Galveston) had higher research expenditures than OU HSC.

When it comes to academic rankings that actually matter, OU can't compare to Harvard, Stanford, or the top UT med schools. Moreover, the number of highly-cited, high quality faculty (for instance, as gauged by the number of National Academy members) at OU lags most of these other schools that OU is ranked above in this report you cited. From US News and World Report and the IOM website:

Harvard: #1, 74 members of the IOM
Stanford: #6, 33 members
UT Southwestern: #20, 17 members
UT San Antonio, UT Houston: tied for #53, 4 members
OU: not ranked, 4 members

Don't fool yourself by thinking that the survey you posted is at all indicative of the quality of OU HSC or its impact on the medical research community. OKC benefits tremendously from OU HSC, certainly, but it is not an exceptional research institution, nor is it recognized amongst the top research medical centers in the country.

ddavidson8
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM

EXACTLY! I think we need to tolerate everything except for Christians. Tolerate nothing (Christian)!!!!

ddavidson8
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Quick, someone call the "Village" I found him!!

Um...yeah...I forgot to add this

/SarcasmOff

I guess there's three in that village.

kd5ili
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
You can change the thread title all you want, G.Walker, but the screencaps have already been taken.

Give me a freaking break. This is one of the most absurd things I have ever seen.

Mecca , Mekka n

Mecca - definition of Mecca by the Free Online Dictionary ...

Mec·ca (mk)
A city of western Saudi Arabia near the coast of the Red Sea. The birthplace of Muhammad, it is the holiest city of Islam and a pilgrimage site for all devout believers of the faith. Population: 1,290,000.

Also:

mec·ca (mk)

1 a city in W Saudi Arabia, joint capital (with Riyadh) of Saudi Arabia: birthplace of Mohammed; the holiest city of Islam, containing the Kaaba. Pop.: 630000 (1991 est.), (Arabic name) Makkah

2 sometimes not cap a place that attracts many visitors
Athens is a Mecca for tourists

Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: mec·ca
Pronunciation: \ˈme-kə\
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Mecca, Saudi Arabia, a destination of pilgrims in the Islamic world
Date: 1843
: a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest <a mecca for shoppers>

-Chris-

Matt
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Give me a freaking break. This is one of the most absurd things I have ever seen.

I'm taking a screencap of this, too. Somehow I get the feeling that my friends down at the local mosque will be most-displeased to learn that their holy city is "one of the most absurd things" that someone has ever seen.

Midtowner
01-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Dear Matt:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:npMqIqP7HT4LdM:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/3424761884_3695715ef8_o.jpg

Seriously, shut up. No one gives a damn whether you or your friends are offended. We do not have the right to go through life without hurt feelings or booboos. Either you're putting us on and this is a lame attempt at humor or you really do think calling something the "Mecca" of the Southwest is horribly offensive. If the former really is the case, then bless your little heart.

Put this in your screencap.

JohnDenver
01-05-2010, 01:02 PM
To work.. Not overall. Research is very low at OU Medical.

It is nowhere near UTSW (in Dallas) and Baylor (in Houston). Nowhere near.

benman
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Pretty sure we can all agree that Dallas and Houston are bigger cities. Every thread on here has beat that horse to death and some..A bigger city doesnt mean better city. OKC and Dallas were roughly the same size during WWII. We can blame a lack of leadership and politics on that. I wish Oklahoma became much more Pro-Business back in the day, but we didnt and we still have a lot of work to go.
Im also pretty sure OKC is perfectly positioned as mid-large sized city that will boom over the coming years. Lets face it, the Dallas, Houston, blah blah draw is going to slow down. People get sick of the terrible traffic, crime, etc. and are going to migrate to a new, more calm place where they can have a family and enjoy life. As this happens the population is obviously going to grow until we also hit the point of too much traffic, crime, etc.
The numbers already show that America's population is sweeping across the South and we are in line for a large population migration/growth. Theres a lot of people on here down and out on OKC and Oklahoma in general, but Im not. Im extremely excited to watch this place explode. I think its inevitable, which is why I chose to stay in OKC after college. Theres also some good money to be made on a city like OKC that could possibly explode in the coming years (at least thats what Im betting on).

kd5ili
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm taking a screencap of this, too. Somehow I get the feeling that my friends down at the local mosque will be most-displeased to learn that their holy city is "one of the most absurd things" that someone has ever seen.

Absolutely not what I said. What I said was for you to push this politically correct agenda when it is completely clear that YOU are taking a word that has more than one meaning in only one way, and as some type of insult instead of what was meant by the original poster is absurd.

Oh, and if that was supposed to be some type of threat...:LolLolLol is all I have to say.

-Chris-

Matt
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Dear Matt:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:npMqIqP7HT4LdM:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/3424761884_3695715ef8_o.jpg

Seriously, shut up. No one gives a damn whether you or your friends are offended. We do not have the right to go through life without hurt feelings or booboos. Either you're putting us on and this is a lame attempt at humor or you really do think calling something the "Mecca" of the Southwest is horribly offensive. If the former really is the case, then bless your little heart.

Put this in your screencap.

You should be thanking your lucky stars right now that Islam is a religion of peace.

Matt
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Absolutely not what I said. What I said was for you to push this politically correct agenda when it is completely clear that YOU are taking a word that has more than one meaning in only one way, and as some type of insult instead of what was meant by the original poster is absurd.

Oh, and if that was supposed to be some type of threat...:LolLolLol is all I have to say.

-Chris-

You too.

Midtowner
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
You should be thanking your lucky stars right now that Islam is a religion of peace.

Oh precious irony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

Matt
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh precious irony.

Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy)

Get to thankin'!

td25er
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

BOOOHOOOOOO

Pac-Man is offensive to my ghost friends. Luckily I took a screencap so I can tell on you.

smooth
01-05-2010, 01:21 PM
One BIG problem with this "promise land of the Southwest." We are not in the Southwest. We are in the lower MIDwest. Many people are starting to accept that. Oklahoman's need to follow suit if they have not yet done so.

kd5ili
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Matt, you may want to look at this.

Oklahoma Stalking Law
21-850.

21-850.

A. No person shall maliciously and with the specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability:

1. Assault or batter another person;

2. Damage, destroy, vandalize or deface any real or personal property of another person; or

3. Threaten, by word or act, to do any act prohibited by paragraph 1 or 2 of this subsection if there is reasonable cause to believe that such act will occur.

B. No person shall maliciously and with specific intent to incite or produce, and which is likely to incite or produce, imminent violence, which violence would be directed against another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability, make or transmit, cause or allow to be transmitted, any telephonic, computerized, or electronic message.

C. No person shall maliciously and with specific intent to incite or produce, and which is likely to incite or produce, imminent violence, which violence would be directed against another person because of that person's race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin or disability, broadcast, publish, or distribute, cause or allow to be broadcast, published or distributed, any message or material.

D. Any person convicted of violating any provision of subsections A, B or C of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor on a first offense and a Schedule E felony on a second or subsequent offense committed on or after the effective date of Section 20.1 of this title and a felony punishable by not more than ten (10) years incarceration in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a second or subsequent offense committed before the effective date of Section 20.1 of this title. The fine for a felony violation of this section shall not exceed Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00). Furthermore, said person shall be civilly liable for any damages resulting from any violation of this section.

E. Upon conviction, any person guilty of a misdemeanor in violation of this section shall be punishable by the imposition of a fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more than one (1) year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

F. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall develop a standard system for state and local law enforcement agencies to report incidents of crime which are apparently directed against members of racial, ethnic, religious groups or other groups specified by this section to the Bureau within seventy-two (72) hours of the time such incidents are reported to such agencies. All law enforcement agencies shall report to the OSBI, pursuant to such system, incidents of crime which are apparently directed against members of racial, ethnic, religious groups or other groups specified by this section and further provide information on the disposition of the reported incident. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall promulgate rules, regulations and procedures necessary to develop, implement and maintain a standard system for the collection and reporting of hate crime data

G. No person, partnership, company or corporation that installs telephonic, computerized, or electronic message equipment shall be required to monitor the use of such equipment for possible violations of this section, nor shall such person, partnership, company or corporation be held criminally or civilly liable for the use by another person of the equipment in violation of this section, unless the person, partnership, company or corporation that installed the equipment had prior actual knowledge that the equipment was to be used in violation of this section.

Midtowner
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
One BIG problem with this "promise land of the Southwest." We are not in the Southwest. We are in the lower MIDwest. Many people are starting to accept that. Oklahoman's need to follow suit if they have not yet done so.

Regionality is such an arbitrary determination. What exactly separates midwest from southwest? Culture? If that is so, do we truly exhibit the culture of either in such a distinct way that we can actually say one applies and the other does not?

And if it does, what does that even matter?

BG918
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Shhh, being associated with the Midwest is bad for attracting people and business. The Southwest is much better in that regard.

Architect2010
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
So no more Christians can move to OKC unless some die or move away? When did OKC get a Christian quota?

Oh stop. You took that far out of context and you know it. Dramatic.

Kerry
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I thought Oklahoma was in the Southern Plains. People I know in California consider Oklahoma part of the South.

Matt
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Matt, you may want to look at this.

(snip)

And you may want to stop taking this all so seriously.

(That goes for all the rest of you, too.)

Kerry
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh stop. You took that far out of context and you know it. Dramatic.

I am going to cut you some slack because I know you didn't mean what you wrote, but I didn't take it out of context. You wrote it out of context. I was just pointing it out. No harm no foul.

Kerry
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
you should be thanking your lucky stars right now that islam is a religion of peace.

roflmao!

progressiveboy
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
One BIG problem with this "promise land of the Southwest." We are not in the Southwest. We are in the lower MIDwest. Many people are starting to accept that. Oklahoman's need to follow suit if they have not yet done so. If you look at Oklahoma on the US map and in the dictionary we are considered a South Central state in the Southern plains. Oklahoma is not a midwest state. Were you asleep in Geography class? lol...........................

progressiveboy
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
To work.. Not overall. Research is very low at OU Medical.

It is nowhere near UTSW (in Dallas) and Baylor (in Houston). Nowhere near. I have to disagree. I live in Dallas and I am originally from OKC. I will have to say that OKC is just as good if not better than Dallas in the Research department. OKC has a proton cancer research facility and many biomedical companies are either based over in the Presbyterian Hospital area. In addition OU is building a comprehensive cancer center for treatment and research and is to be affiliated with MD Anderson. In addition, OKC has their own "regional" blood bank that on par with Carter Blood Institute in Texas. I think OKC for the most part has better hospitals too. Presbyterian and Baylor are good in Dallas but for a city as big as Dallas it has a lot to desire in their medical district. Come on now, Parkland Hospital is a nasty disgrace and St. Paul is ok but nothing stands out with them.

ronronnie1
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Less of both would be nice.

JohnDenver
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I have to disagree. I live in Dallas and I am originally from OKC. I will have to say that OKC is just as good if not better than Dallas in the Research department. OKC has a proton cancer research facility and many biomedical companies are either based over in the Presbyterian Hospital area. In addition OU is building a comprehensive cancer center for treatment and research and is to be affiliated with MD Anderson. In addition, OKC has their own "regional" blood bank that on par with Carter Blood Institute in Texas. I think OKC for the most part has better hospitals too. Presbyterian and Baylor are good in Dallas but for a city as big as Dallas it has a lot to desire in their medical district. Come on now, Parkland Hospital is a nasty disgrace and St. Paul is ok but nothing stands out with them.

I will disagree with you too. I am from Dallas, wife went to UTSW and is at OU HSC now. As far as what OU has, it is fine. This is the largest city in OK and the capital, it SHOULD have what it has, and it SHOULD have much more. Parkland is on its way out, the City of Dallas has passed a bond to build a new county hospital. There is a whole city of hopitals around the UTSW complex.. not just Parkland and St. Paul. There is also a top notch Childrens hospital (which puts OKC's to shame), heart and cancer hospitals.

Earlier in this thread you will find the numbers for research going on at OUHSC versus UTSW and Baylor. It isn't just my opinion that they don't compare, they just don't.

I don't see the OKC medical field as thriving. Growing? Yes it is... as well it should be because that field on a whole is growing at 18% per year. It would take a complete idiot of a city to not see some growth when the whole industry is growing at that rate.

I like the OUHSC. It seems to be doing well.. OU needs to do more to make it stand up to competition though.

plmccordj
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Deleted

Spartan
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
and recession proof ecomony.

The ecomony is very recession-proof, whatever that means.

mugofbeer
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I will disagree with you too. I am from Dallas, wife went to UTSW and is at OU HSC now. As far as what OU has, it is fine. This is the largest city in OK and the capital, it SHOULD have what it has, and it SHOULD have much more. Parkland is on its way out, the City of Dallas has passed a bond to build a new county hospital. There is a whole city of hopitals around the UTSW complex.. not just Parkland and St. Paul. There is also a top notch Childrens hospital (which puts OKC's to shame), heart and cancer hospitals.

Earlier in this thread you will find the numbers for research going on at OUHSC versus UTSW and Baylor. It isn't just my opinion that they don't compare, they just don't.

I don't see the OKC medical field as thriving. Growing? Yes it is... as well it should be because that field on a whole is growing at 18% per year. It would take a complete idiot of a city to not see some growth when the whole industry is growing at that rate.

I like the OUHSC. It seems to be doing well.. OU needs to do more to make it stand up to competition though.

Unfortunately, the OUHSC doesn't get the benefit of massive estate donations from entertainers and business families the way UTSW gets. I recall several gifts to UTSW in excess of $10 million while I lived there.

ljbab728
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM

Just what is it that OU could do to make it stand up to competition and stay within budget constraints?

Spartan
01-06-2010, 04:37 AM
UTSW is not the model to follow, the Texas Medical Center in Houston is, by far. Houston, thanks more to their incredible medical research sector than the oil and gas sector believe it or not, has more bio jobs than any other city in the U.S.

THAT is the kind of thing that you establish and then you start keeping your college grads and attracting other place's young professionals as well.

benman
01-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Absolutely NOT. 1st, Oklahoma is a Southern state by history. During the Civil War Oklahoma was Indian Territory and the tribes fought for the Confederacy.
2nd, look at a map and its a Southern state geographically. No, I wouldnt consider Oklahoma part of the "Old South" (Georgia, S. Carolina, etc) but in modern day terms it is associated with the South.
3rd, Midwestern states are Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Pretty sure Oklahoma is completely different them and I sure dont want to be associated with those states.

smooth
01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Absolutely NOT. 1st, Oklahoma is a Southern state by history. During the Civil War Oklahoma was Indian Territory and the tribes fought for the Confederacy.
2nd, look at a map and its a Southern state geographically. No, I wouldnt consider Oklahoma part of the "Old South" (Georgia, S. Carolina, etc) but in modern day terms it is associated with the South.
3rd, Midwestern states are Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Pretty sure Oklahoma is completely different them and I sure dont want to be associated with those states.

I guess you can think what you want, but the country is accepting the FACT that Oklahoma is midwest.