View Full Version : The 3/50 Project

betts
01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
The 3/50 Project ::: Home (http://www.the350project.net/home.html)

This is a cool concept. I read about it in one of our local magazines. It is based on the fact that (according to the U.S. Department of Labor), if just half the employed U.S. population spent $50 each month in independently owned businesses, their purchases would generate more than 42.6 billion in revenue. According to the site, for every $100 spent on an independently owned store, $68 returns to the community.

So, they are asking people to select three independently owned businesses and spend $50 a month in them.

lasomeday
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
It is a great idea. The only problem is most Oklahomans spend their money at chains. They don't have as much pride in local businesses as other areas of the country have.

In Oregon everyone is pretty aware of the local businesses and support them. I wish Okahoma had the same support.

Spartan
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Even "cultured" Oklahomans usually chose Barnes & Noble over Full Circle, which is just shameful. OKC has some GREAT local businesses.

The city should especially push for something like this on the south side..

Steve
01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Let's see now: Full Circle has warm fireplaces, often features live music on weekends, the best book selection in the city (and without a doubt the best LOCAL book section), a great children's area and people who KNOW books.
Barnes and Noble, Borders, well, ... they don't.

Spartan
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Full Circle actually provides an "experience" rather than just going to buy something. It reminds me of a smaller version of Book People in Austin, one of the greatest local businesses of all time.

betts
01-03-2010, 06:38 PM
This holds true for local restaurants as well. I'm all about eating at restaurants that are unique to Oklahoma City. If you shop on Western and in Nichols Hills Plaza, there are lots of local stores.

Spartan
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
You can just pick up a copy of the Gazette and it will easily point you in the direction of a great nearby local restaurant.

lasomeday
01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, local restaurants are a no brainer. It is the local retail that really struggles here in OKC. I know that there aren't a lot of options because chains have run a lot of business out.

I know my favorite bookstore is a Powell Books in Portland. I love going there.

mugofbeer
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I totally agree with the idea of buying from locally owned stores and also think the 3/50 rule is a reasonable number. This is why I have kind of chided some of the folks on here who get all happy when Chick-fil-a opens a new store they think it's big news. Personally, if OKC lost 50% of its fast food restaurants, I bet we'd hardly notice. How many flipping burger/chicken/taco joints does a city need?

No offense to Steve, but I stand by what I have said before. The DOK and their outrageous advertising rates have done more harm to small businesses in this city than anything else. Yes, I know all papers are having financial troubles these days but this has gone on ever since the OK Journal folded.

Spartan
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah, local restaurants are a no brainer. It is the local retail that really struggles here in OKC. I know that there aren't a lot of options because chains have run a lot of business out.

You have a really good point. I know I will personally admit to being a little unfamiliar with locally owned clothing stores and stuff like that. I usually don't even buy clothes in Oklahoma honestly..

jeffery581
01-04-2010, 05:28 AM
That would be great. However, most people like sending there money to China and Japan...

jeffery581
01-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Oh and Korea

Kerry
01-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Even chains are locally owned via franchising.

http://www.franchiseopportunities.com/

CindaBaxter
01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Even chains are locally owned via franchising.

Glad to see The 3/50 Project has made its way into an OKC discussion--every voice counts!

While franchises are typically (not always) owned by someone local, they aren't considered "locally owned independents" due to the amount of outside corporate support they get from the parent company. A few examples of the additional services available to franchise and chain store owners are legal advice, lease input, guidance on employee issues, special vendor programs, and marketing materials. When a national brand runs an magazine ad or television campaign, all franchises benefit. When their corporate name goes up on a store sign, it comes with an established consumer audience and name recognition.

A true independent carries the weight of all those responsibilities and more on their shoulders, alone, making them wholly responsible for every single decision and item their business touches. They're the epitome of "tough it out and make it work" American spirit.

The 3/50 Project seeks to support those amazing independent brick and mortar businesses--from gift shops to restaurants to dry cleaners to movie theaters--as they duke it out in a cluttered landscape of national and regional brand names with deeper pockets and corporate backing. It's that spirit, combined with the greater amount of revenue returned to the community, that makes them real superhero standouts in our eyes!

For more info and details about The 3/50 Project, please visit our site: The350Project.net (http://www.the350project.net). Be sure to check out the FAQ page (http://www.the350project.net/faq.html) too, where there's lots of great info about the ins and outs of what we do.

Here’s to big things ahead for all the little guys out there,

Cinda Baxter
Founder
The 3/50 Project
The 3/50 Project website (http://www.the350project.net)

metro
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Try Blue 7 for clothes.

lasomeday
01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Yeah last Christmas I made a point to get everyone gifts from local stores with products made in the US. It was almost impossible to find toys for kids.

I consider Hobby Lobby local so I did find two things there, that were made in the US. 99% of their stuff is made in China, so I got them craft stuff.

I ended up giving gift cards to local restaurants to the adults, and yes I gave grandma gift cards to Braum's. It is local! That is where she hangs out.

I believe in supporting local chains like City Bites, Sonic, Braum's, etc.

I know there is a clothing store off of May and Memorial that is locally owned (I think it is called Lush) that my ex-girlfriend from Houston used to shop at. She loved it, and she was high maintenance! So, it has to have good stuff. I liked their jeans, but they are too pricey for me.

betts
01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
There's a great toy store on Western just south of Wilshire called the learning tree. Western is loaded with locally owned stores that carry clothing and housewares, all the way from Wilshire to 36th. North Park Mall has quite a few locally owned stores, and the strip mall on the northwest side of May and 122nd has some as well.

Spartan
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Glad to see The 3/50 Project has made its way into an OKC discussion--every voice counts!

While franchises are typically (not always) owned by someone local, they aren't considered "locally owned independents" due to the amount of outside corporate support they get from the parent company. A few examples of the additional services available to franchise and chain store owners are legal advice, lease input, guidance on employee issues, special vendor programs, and marketing materials. When a national brand runs an magazine ad or television campaign, all franchises benefit. When their corporate name goes up on a store sign, it comes with an established consumer audience and name recognition.

A true independent carries the weight of all those responsibilities and more on their shoulders, alone, making them wholly responsible for every single decision and item their business touches. They're the epitome of "tough it out and make it work" American spirit.

The 3/50 Project seeks to support those amazing independent brick and mortar businesses--from gift shops to restaurants to dry cleaners to movie theaters--as they duke it out in a cluttered landscape of national and regional brand names with deeper pockets and corporate backing. It's that spirit, combined with the greater amount of revenue returned to the community, that makes them real superhero standouts in our eyes!

For more info and details about The 3/50 Project, please visit our site: The350Project.net (http://www.the350project.net). Be sure to check out the FAQ page (http://www.the350project.net/faq.html) too, where there's lots of great info about the ins and outs of what we do.

Cinda Baxter
Founder
The 3/50 Project

That's a good point. Basically to get to the point of this, the reason they say 65% of the money you spend at a local business is put back in YOUR local economy is because all of these support services are gotten locally. If you're a franchise you aren't doing local advertising, your sign probably wasn't made locally, and so on. If your truly local, then chances are, so are your support services.

Local businesses support other local businesses that they usually make special business arrangements with. Chains tend to support other chains that they usually make special business arrangements with.

I'm not sure, but I think chains do still have some local benefit, but not as significant. Only 35-40% of the money you spend at a chain is turned over in the local economy, which is a huge difference. So yes, there is some benefit, but not as effectively. I seem to remember that from an editorial in the Austin Statesman about the "Keep Austin Weird" campaign.

gracefor24
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
That's a good point. Basically to get to the point of this, the reason they say 65% of the money you spend at a local business is put back in YOUR local economy is because all of these support services are gotten locally. If you're a franchise you aren't doing local advertising, your sign probably wasn't made locally, and so on. If your truly local, then chances are, so are your support services.

Local businesses support other local businesses that they usually make special business arrangements with. Chains tend to support other chains that they usually make special business arrangements with.

I'm not sure, but I think chains do still have some local benefit, but not as significant. Only 35-40% of the money you spend at a chain is turned over in the local economy, which is a huge difference. So yes, there is some benefit, but not as effectively. I seem to remember that from an editorial in the Austin Statesman about the "Keep Austin Weird" campaign.

However, a locally owned franchise is advertising locally at their own expense, hiring local employees, paying city/state/sales taxes. Not to mention they are pouring their own money back into the local economy since they are living here. The website says that those businesses bring $43 back to the community so it's not like they are adding nothing back.

I know it's not the same as a business start up that is locally owned but I don't think the idea is mutually exclusive. I think there is room for both. i have more of a problem with big box stores and such.

Either way this is a great campaign to get Oklahomans thinking about where their money goes and how to create a great local economy that encourages business and the entrepreneurial spirit.

Spartan
01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Franchises really don't do local advertising at their own expense though. That's part of the point of going with a franchise is that you're buying into the broader corporation's image that is the corporation's responsibility to promote.

I agree though that they're not BAD but they're not GREAT either. And yeah, it's with the big boxes, that you start adding other consumer ethics issues, not to mention planning issues especially..

soonerguru
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM
This is a great idea. Good luck piercing Oklahomans' chain-store myopia though.

Spartan
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Soonerguru, have I mentioned lately how much I always like your posts? "Oklahomans' chain-store myopia" - that's good.

bmrsnrou
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
my family and i have done this for a long time. i live in moore and try to spend my money at local businesses to keep my tax money here. there is the time when it is hard to avoid the chains, especially for clothing. with that said, we do make a concious effort to eat in locally owned restaurants, and grocery shop in local stores. also, i try and avoid wal mart at all costs. i just don't like the way they treat their workers.

bmrsnrou
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
This is a great idea. Good luck piercing Oklahomans' chain-store myopia though.

you are so right. however, it isn't much different anywhere else! the big boxes have pushed so many mom and pop operations out of business and killed main street shopping all over America, not just Oklahoma.

mugofbeer
01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I try and avoid wal mart at all costs. i just don't like the way they treat their workers.

I applaud efforts to try to shop locally, when possible. Unfortunately, its not always possible and unfortunately, the big box stores simply have prices that are so much better you can't avoid them. However, with the Wal Mart bashing that has taken place in these threads lately, I have to ask - have you personally ever known a Wal Mart employee who has had a real complaint about the company? I can't say that I have known many but the 3 I know have no complaints. Neither do they have great expectations from the company.

soonerguru
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
I applaud efforts to try to shop locally, when possible. Unfortunately, its not always possible and unfortunately, the big box stores simply have prices that are so much better you can't avoid them. However, with the Wal Mart bashing that has taken place in these threads lately, I have to ask - have you personally ever known a Wal Mart employee who has had a real complaint about the company? I can't say that I have known many but the 3 I know have no complaints. Neither do they have great expectations from the company.

My goodness. Yes, as a matter of fact I have. But the volume of information on this subject is enormous and widely available. I don't think anecdotal information on OKCTalk holds as much sway.

I too avoid spending even a penny in Wal-Mart or any Wal-Mart-affiliated companies, such as Sam's Club and/or Neighborhood Market.

For groceries, I spend as much as I can at Crest Foods, and when I need seafood and other stuff, I go to the fish market or Homeland.

By the way, Crest Foods is just as cheap as Wal-Mart, and even cheaper for some stuff.

Larry OKC
01-05-2010, 12:41 AM
My goodness. Yes, as a matter of fact I have. But the volume of information on this subject is enormous and widely available. I don't think anecdotal information on OKCTalk holds as much sway.

I too avoid spending even a penny in Wal-Mart or any Wal-Mart-affiliated companies, such as Sam's Club and/or Neighborhood Market.

For groceries, I spend as much as I can at Crest Foods, and when I need seafood and other stuff, I go to the fish market or Homeland.

By the way, Crest Foods is just as cheap as Wal-Mart, and even cheaper for some stuff.

I used to shop almost exclusively at the bigger Crest in Mid-Del (pre Walmart getting into the grocery business). Was thrilled when Crest opened stores in Edmond and then on NW 23rd, but sad to say, their prices weren't anything like the Mid-Del location. Wasn't impressed at all and really haven't been back. Only time to shop at Homeland is if they have a really good ad special going but even those you have to watch out for. If you buy anything off the ad, then they are getting back anything you "saved" with the special.

Years ago, took Homelands BOGO ad to Crest and on every identical item that Crest carried, their everyday price was cheaper than Homelands BOGO price (except one item, where Homeland was a cent cheaper).

Have done similar experiments with Walmart and similar results. But then again, you have to price compare Walmarts as they will have significantly different prices too. For some reason, Walmart doesn't think they have to price match themselves.

But have heard 1st hand encounters of Crest employees that put the Walmart bashers to shame.

Spartan
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Why are we talking about Wal-Mart in every thread?

dmoor82
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
^^^^LOL,Well ya know ol'Sam Walton was born in Kingfisher,We just like supporting our good ol' boys!j/k I've noticed this too Spartan!

gracefor24
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Franchises really don't do local advertising at their own expense though. That's part of the point of going with a franchise is that you're buying into the broader corporation's image that is the corporation's responsibility to promote.

I agree though that they're not BAD but they're not GREAT either. And yeah, it's with the big boxes, that you start adding other consumer ethics issues, not to mention planning issues especially..

This isn't entirely true because I owned a franchise and we advertised locally out of our own pocket all the time. We definitely benfitted from national advertising but not all franchises are equal in that respect either. We spent quite a bit of money advertising in local papers and other things.

CCOKC
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I am a member of the OK Food Coop and a friend of Urban Agrarian on Facebook. I've mentioned it before but it bears repeating buy local food. The Urban Agrarian sells food to local restaurants such as BTT. When you buy from these local restaurants you are doubly helping the local folks.
Uaoklahoma (http://UAOklahoma.com)

Millie
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Cinda Baxter
Founder
The 3/50 Project

Please provide sources for your assertions about the amount of money that franchises bring in vs. local businesses. The numbers on your site are not even close to numbers I've seen in other places and I'm interested about how you're interpreting your data.

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm kinda interested in why the 3/50 site is using cafepress.com to host instead of a local-run hosting establishment.

mugofbeer
01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm kinda interested in why the 3/50 site is using cafepress.com to host instead of a local-run hosting establishment.

:poke:

fuzzytoad
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM

what?

LakeEffect
01-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Because 3/50 is a national project... otherwise they'd have to farm out each shirt to places in every 3/50 supporting community. Sounds nice, but a logistical nightmare.

fuzzytoad
01-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Because 3/50 is a national project... otherwise they'd have to farm out each shirt to places in every 3/50 supporting community. Sounds nice, but a logistical nightmare.

huh??

A 12-year old can build a hosting site in his bedroom closet that will reach a worldwide audience. Are you telling me that Cinda couldn't find a locally-owned, locally-run hosting company because it wouldn't reach a national audience?? Or a locally-owned tshirt/tchotchkes vendor who has access to a mailbox?

If she's gonna talk the talk, she should walk it

ddavidson8
01-08-2010, 07:09 AM
It is a great idea. The only problem is most Oklahomans spend their money at chains. They don't have as much pride in local businesses as other areas of the country have.

In Oregon everyone is pretty aware of the local businesses and support them. I wish Okahoma had the same support.

I KNOW Oklahoma sucks so bad and Oregon rulz.

savage99
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm always dismayed when I see millions of dollars going out of our community for those giant Disney shows at the Civic Center and other venues around town. Pennies on the dollar stay in town as sales tax. Fat cats getting fatter somewhere else while amazing local theater struggles. Same story.

lasomeday
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Pretty much, when it comes to helping local businesses.

ddavidson8
01-08-2010, 08:03 AM

lmfao at the emoticons.

betts
01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
On the other hand, I'd like to worry less about the management decisions of the people who came up with this idea, and talk about the fact that it is a great idea for us and our community. It's my new year's resolution, although I was already trying to follow the principles before I read about this project.

ddavidson8
01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I love the 3/50 idea. So don't get me wrong. But if restaurants are included in this I would say that a sizeable chunk of people have been donig this in OKC for years. How many people spend $50 a month on places like Niños, Cocino de Mino, Laredos, Casa Perico...??? One thing that OKCers seem to love is supporting local Okie-Mex establishments.

fuzzytoad
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I love the 3/50 idea. So don't get me wrong. But if restaurants are included in this I would say that a sizeable chunk of people have been donig this in OKC for years. How many people spend $50 a month on places like Niños, Cocino de Mino, Laredos, Casa Perico...??? One thing that OKCers seem to love is supporting local Okie-Mex establishments.

yeah, that's one of the things I'm not understanding about this..

even if you don't include restaurants, I'd have a really hard time *not* spending at least $50 a month in locally-owned businesses. Maybe I'm not typical, but it seems like this idea is geared more towards cities that are made up of almost nothing but national or global chains.

ddavidson8
01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
We bitch, bitch, bitch about how OKC is attached to chain stores and it doesn't support local buisnesses. Move to Houston and see just how many local dining or shopping activities you have. I'd say the ratio isn't much higher than it is in OKC. Unless you want to drive 30 miles from your house in the suburbs to one of the little shopping communities that does have some stores (like the stores on Western). Of course driving that much will only anger people from Oregon. Save the planet, global warming in 13 degree weather and all.

David
01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
huh??

A 12-year old can build a hosting site in his bedroom closet that will reach a worldwide audience. Are you telling me that Cinda couldn't find a locally-owned, locally-run hosting company because it wouldn't reach a national audience?? Or a locally-owned tshirt/tchotchkes vendor who has access to a mailbox?

If she's gonna talk the talk, she should walk it

If you look at her FAQ, there is an explanation as to why they are using Cafe Press as their t-shirt printer.

Spartan
01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
We bitch, bitch, bitch about how OKC is attached to chain stores and it doesn't support local buisnesses. Move to Houston and see just how many local dining or shopping activities you have. I'd say the ratio isn't much higher than it is in OKC. Unless you want to drive 30 miles from your house in the suburbs to one of the little shopping communities that does have some stores (like the stores on Western). Of course driving that much will only anger people from Oregon. Save the planet, global warming in 13 degree weather and all.

That isn't true, davidson. Houston is chock full of local establishments. One of my uncles owns a very cool pizza restaurant in Montrose, just north of the Rice Village area. Imagine the Bricktown Brewery, but a pizzeria.

One of my favorite locally owned restaurants is Chewy's off of Westheimer, and I loooove Antonio's Flying Pizza on Fondren. Wow just don't get me started on the quality of Houston's local establishments.

Part of the deal is that Houston is the easiest city in the world to open a business in. Due to the general lack of zoning and building requirements, there are no limits to how dense or how urban developers can build in Houston like there are everywhere else. Of course this kind of thing would only work in Houston where there is so much development and disposable income that projects naturally gravitate towards quality.

There is a legitimate culture inside the Beltway 8 that doesn't support chain restaurants. And that's probably 2/3rds of the city's 2 million residents. Unfortunately the suburbs are all about the chain restaurants, but having an army of 1.5 million people behind local establishments can go a long ways towards a unique city.

lasomeday
01-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I used to go to that Chuy's twice a week when I was auditing down in Houston and staying in the Galleria. Chuy's is actually based out of Austin. That is where the original Chuys is located, and where one of the Bush girls was caught under aged drinking.

Back to OKC talk.

Mustang has a problem with chains and local restaurants closing. They had two local restaurants close in the last few months because the locals didn't eat at them. One was a really good hamburger and gelato place Leno's. I never went there, but my parents loved it. Another was a local coffee place called Charlie Bean. It was pretty good.

There is a great Cajun food place in Yukon called the Big Easy, it is awesome! I worry that it won't make it because it is located on Route 66 and it has never been busy when I have been there. The food is great and they give you a ton of food for the price.

Maybe we should list some great local places on here, so people are aware of them.