View Full Version : Man, 20, accused of looting beer from stranded truck in Oklahoma City

dismayed
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Weren't we talking about this in one of the Blizzard threads?

Man, 20, accused of looting beer from stranded truck in Oklahoma City

BY JOHNNY JOHNSON The Oklahoman
Published: December 30, 2009

An underage man was arrested Christmas Day after police said they caught him taking beer from a delivery truck stranded in the snow.

When stopped with two cases of beer in the back of his pickup, Sterling Chase Cochran, 20, asked officers not arrest his wife who was in the vehicle along with their 2-year-old daughter, according to the police report.

According to the report, officers received a call that people were looting beer from a Premium Beer delivery truck that became stuck in the Christmas Eve blizzard and had been abandoned near Northwest Expressway and Portland.

A police officer found all the cargo doors open, but only one compartment, near the rear driver's side, had any beer left in it.

After closing the doors on the trailer, the officer continued his patrol, checking back occasionally. He reported that he saw a man step out of a white pickup, go to the trailer and take two 12-packs of 32-ounce bottles of Busch beer.

The officer arrested Cochran on suspicion of burglary and being a minor in possession of beer.

The owner of the beer truck asked police to have the truck towed.

Link to story:

NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/man-20-accused-of-looting-beer-from-stranded-truck/article/3428514?custom_click=lead_story_title)

fuzzytoad
12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
A police officer found all the cargo doors open, but only one compartment, near the rear driver's side, had any beer left in it.

:LolLolLol

skyrick
12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Sometime in the winter of 86, 87 or 88 OKC got about 6-9 inches of snow in about 4 hours, just before evening rush. I was driving a beer truck at the time for Rich Distributing. I was in Edmond when the boss called around to all the liquor stores in town until he found me and said,"bring the truck in before it gets bad." Too late. It was about 2 o'clock when I started out from 2nd and Bryant headed for SW29 & Meridian in OKC. By 4:30 I had made it all the way to the mixmaster (DFW term I'll borrow here) where Broadway Extension, I-44, and 39th St Expressway start to all merge together, and there I sat for an hour, not moving. After sampling a bottle of Samuel Smith's Pale Ale from the bay over the rear wheel (nicely chilled), I pulled out of line onto the shoulder and just plowed through the drifts. The truck was more than 3/4 full @ GVW of 55,000 lbs so I had no problem; in fact I saw several vehicles in my rearview mirror following in my wake. Made it to the plant in 30 minutes, went home, had dinner and made it to VZD's on N. Western in time to see Faith No More followed by headliners The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sorry, the mention of blizzards and beer trucks triggered that reminicence. I haven't thought about that for a decade or two.

Rick

gen70
12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Well...seeing the Chili Peppers was way cool. Didn't know the Chili Peppers had ever played at VZD's.

Dustin
12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Who didn't see this coming?

rcjunkie
12-30-2009, 09:00 PM
This proves posters on other OKC Threads wrong---all of the idiots don't live S. of Reno.

gen70
12-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I wish my friends would quit doing stuff like this.

gmwise
12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
IMO it was open to salvage rights.

soonerguru
12-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Sometime in the winter of 86, 87 or 88 OKC got about 6-9 inches of snow in about 4 hours, just before evening rush. I was driving a beer truck at the time for Rich Distributing. I was in Edmond when the boss called around to all the liquor stores in town until he found me and said,"bring the truck in before it gets bad." Too late. It was about 2 o'clock when I started out from 2nd and Bryant headed for SW29 & Meridian in OKC. By 4:30 I had made it all the way to the mixmaster (DFW term I'll borrow here) where Broadway Extension, I-44, and 39th St Expressway start to all merge together, and there I sat for an hour, not moving. After sampling a bottle of Samuel Smith's Pale Ale from the bay over the rear wheel (nicely chilled), I pulled out of line onto the shoulder and just plowed through the drifts. The truck was more than 3/4 full @ GVW of 55,000 lbs so I had no problem; in fact I saw several vehicles in my rearview mirror following in my wake. Made it to the plant in 30 minutes, went home, had dinner and made it to VZD's on N. Western in time to see Faith No More followed by headliners The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sorry, the mention of blizzards and beer trucks triggered that reminicence. I haven't thought about that for a decade or two.

Rick

Wow. You made that show? I think that was in Dec. of '88, but I may be wrong. I remember wanting to go but driving up from Norman was not looking like a good option. That must have been great to RHCP in such a small setting. I did end up seeing them a couple of times, including a great show at Bronco Bowl in Dallas (Anthony Keidis actually sneaked my friend and I into the show from the back). They were supercool live.

EBAH
12-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Rick

WWHHOOAA, wait a minute, I know there were already props handed down for seeing RHCP at VZD's. While I understand that many consider them a good band and having them appear in a local bar that we've all been to numerous time is very exciting, we are glossing over a FAR bigger part of that statement....YOU SAW FAITH NO MORE AT VZD's?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow dude, that is totally bitchin..

fuzzytoad
12-31-2009, 04:38 AM
meanwhile, in California - Weasel Zippers: Store Accidentally Leaves Doors Unlocked On Christmas...Police Find Customers Shopping Yet Leaving Money For Everything On The Counter...No Theft, No Vandalism... (http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2009/12/store-accidentally-leaves-doors-unlocked-on-christmaspolice-find-customers-shopping-yet-leaving-mone.html)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-31-2009, 05:01 AM
meanwhile, in California - Weasel Zippers: Store Accidentally Leaves Doors Unlocked On Christmas...Police Find Customers Shopping Yet Leaving Money For Everything On The Counter...No Theft, No Vandalism... (http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2009/12/store-accidentally-leaves-doors-unlocked-on-christmaspolice-find-customers-shopping-yet-leaving-mone.html)

Stupid hippies.

skyrick
12-31-2009, 05:24 AM
WWHHOOAA, wait a minute, I know there were already props handed down for seeing RHCP at VZD's. While I understand that many consider them a good band and having them appear in a local bar that we've all been to numerous time is very exciting, we are glossing over a FAR bigger part of that statement....YOU SAW FAITH NO MORE AT VZD's?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow dude, that is totally bitchin..

Yeah, they were the opening act. I had never heard of them. Totally blew me away. There might have been 50 people there that night.

Rick

MGE1977
12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
While I am envious of anyone who had the chance to see the Peppers in their heyday, I too am concerned what I feel is the most important issue glossed over on this thread.

Apparently Oklahomans are so desperate these days, that they are willing to risk incarceration for Busch beer. I clean my bathtubs with more palatable product. Its sad to see that life in OKC has come to this, I should hope that this is not the beginning of some sort of Mayan apacalypse, (when men are drawn to do desperate things by the coming armageddon), and merely an isolated event - as the drinking of Busch should always be.

ksearls
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey! I was at that show. I actually used to cocktail at VZD and lived in a garage aprtment on Harvey Parkway. Best benefits in the world; free admission to all shows and half price food and drinks 24/7. Ahhh, I lived at VZ those years. Good times.

That was an amazing storm, I drove all over the place in my little Datsun, it was like driving a sled!

kevinpate
12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
... Apparently Oklahomans are so desperate these days, that they are willing to risk incarceration for Busch beer. ...

They weren't gonna drink it ... gross. They wanted it for its de-icer and salt content.
:dizzy:

workman45
12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
While I am envious of anyone who had the chance to see the Peppers in their heyday, I too am concerned what I feel is the most important issue glossed over on this thread.

Apparently Oklahomans are so desperate these days, that they are willing to risk incarceration for Busch beer. I clean my bathtubs with more palatable product. Its sad to see that life in OKC has come to this, I should hope that this is not the beginning of some sort of Mayan apacalypse, (when men are drawn to do desperate things by the coming armageddon), and merely an isolated event - as the drinking of Busch should always be.

:LolLolLol Give him a COOP's and he'll see the error of his ways.

bluedogok
12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Apparently Oklahomans are so desperate these days, that they are willing to risk incarceration for Busch beer.
Can you actually call Busch a beer? Isn't it more of a "beer-like" substance?

MGE1977
12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Let it never be said that those of different demographics and educations, colors and or creeds cannot find common ground on OKC Talk. It will forever be written that beer talk brought them together....

Drink some for me tonight, I've got 9,6,and 2 year olds at the house, the Mrs. and I will be down before the ball dro.....snore.

Though don't drink so much that you get to the bottom of the beer bin where the bush and keystone lurk.

rondvu
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
What I think would help with minor crime like theft and shoplifting is to have pictures and what they took of the guilty party or parties come up daily on a local channel. If this was the case I am sure a lot of folks would not be stealing for the hell of it if they thought everyone would see them on TV. I could just hear it now "Girl did you see that Rondvu stole some condoms at Wal-Mart". " I sure did, always knew he has a shady side". Any ways that is my two cents on this subject. HAPPY 2010 OKCTALK members.

skyrick
12-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey! I was at that show. I actually used to cocktail at VZD and lived in a garage aprtment on Harvey Parkway. Best benefits in the world; free admission to all shows and half price food and drinks 24/7. Ahhh, I lived at VZ those years. Good times.

That was an amazing storm, I drove all over the place in my little Datsun, it was like driving a sled!

Wow, garage apartments on Harvey Parkway, that brings back memories. Everyone I knew back then either had an apartment on Robinson between like, 34th and 27th, or knew someone who did.

Rick

mugofbeer
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
<<<burrpppp>>>