View Full Version : Mike Leach fired

so1rfan
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Texas Tech Fires Mike Leach - Sports News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/sports/22090820/detail.html)

I'll start the "Stoops to Texas Tech " rumors.... Hey did you hear Mike Leach got fired? Rumor is that Bob Stoops is going to Lubbock. My brother has a sister-in-law whose aunt works at the Lubbock airport and a gate attendant there told her that he saw a real estate agent showing a lady that looked like Carol Stoops houses over by the college.

westsidesooner
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM
lol. vey funny!!!

I did hear a rumor that spike dykes son who is now at Arizona might get the job. This whole story is going to be very interesting to follow with lawsuits almost inevitable. From what I hear Craig James' son is quite the prima dona. Maybe Leach can get a job at East Carolina......he'd fit right into the pirate theme there.

http://www.nexternal.com/bigtop/images/97028.jpg

"Like sand through the hour glass so are the days of Texas tech football"

:gossip:

mugofbeer
12-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Unless something new comes out, expect a huge lawsuit to be filed by Leach. Also, watch what the players do in his support.

smooth
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
It sounds to me like the establishment (usually business) kissing the hind end of the spoiled "holier than thou" snob. I can not stand it when these premadonna's cry and threaten just to get what they want and people bow down like they are indentured slaves.

Leach got the shaft, and I hope he kicks the crap out of the University.

Kerry
12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
It is sickening to watch the ESPN hacks come to the support of the child of one of their co-wokers. I almost can't stand ESPN anymore. I would be 100% in favor of Leach returning as offensive coordinator at OU.

lasomeday
12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Texas Tech will go back to competing with Baylor for last place in the Big 12 South.

Nobody will move to Lubbock. That place is a hole.

kevinpate
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Haven't followed the tales. Who kissed or kicked whom where when the wrong peep had their noses in the path of the action?

gen70
12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't know what's going on with this sit. but it seems to me like a "big pissing contest" and at this point the U. of T.T. is the winner.

bluedogok
12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
The ironic thing is part of the Tech administration pretty much reveres the ground on which Bobby Knight walks on and let him get by with a whole lot more crap than Leach has supposedly done (namely insubordination) including getting into an argument at a grocery store salad bar in Lubbock but while they kiss his rear they boot Leach because they couldn't "control him". This is not a surprise, he should have left last season after his contentious contract negotiations. While the James kid seems to be an acknowledged prima donna, he is merely a pawn in the battle between the administration and Leach who were looking to can him "for cause" before having to pay him the $800,000 bonus he would have been owed on December 31, 2009.

As far as a winner, I think the courts will be deciding that...Tech may have "won" this round there are going to be a few more unless they come up with a settlement. Overall, I think the Tech athletic department is going to be the loser for awhile from what I have heard since Leach made Tech relevant and was very popular with many donors. Sure they might come back but Tech has bills to pay now as they have been spending more than they have been taking in to build up their programs and facilities to that of OU, UT and A&M. My wife (Tech alum) expects them to slide back into the mediocrity they were stuck in while she went to school there and the many years after. She said that is their "normal position" anyway.

gen70
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
The ironic thing is part of the Tech administration pretty much reveres the ground on which Bobby Knight walks on and let him get by with a whole lot more crap than Leach has supposedly done (namely insubordination) including getting into an argument at a grocery store salad bar in Lubbock but while they kiss his rear they boot Leach because they couldn't "control him". This is not a surprise, he should have left last season after his contentious contract negotiations. While the James kid seems to be an acknowledged prima donna, he is merely a pawn in the battle between the administration and Leach who were looking to can him "for cause" before having to pay him the $800,000 bonus he would have been owed on December 31, 2009.

As far as a winner, I think the courts will be deciding that...Tech may have "won" this round there are going to be a few more unless they come up with a settlement. Overall, I think the Tech athletic department is going to be the loser for awhile from what I have heard since Leach made Tech relevant and was very popular with many donors. Sure they might come back but Tech has bills to pay now as they have been spending more than they have been taking in to build up their programs and facilities to that of OU, UT and A&M. My wife (Tech alum) expects them to slide back into the mediocrity they were stuck in while she went to school there and the many years after. She said that is their "normal position" anyway. I believe your right Dog. UTT has probably shot theirself in the foot. I don't believe anything out of the ordinary was done by Leach. Hope not anyway.

Stan Silliman
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Totally ridiculous!

Yes, Leach will sue Tech and should prevail. I doubt if he can make a suit against ESPN and if he wants to stay in the coaching business I don't think he'd want to.

As far as where he'll end up, I spelled that out in a column written earlier in the year. Here's a link: The Mad Scientist (http://sillimanonsports.com/Mad_Scientist.html)

jstaylor62
12-31-2009, 05:34 AM
WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY Daddy, the Coach put me in time out! WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY

Mike Leach recruited to Mike Leach. He was not recruiting kids to the excitement of flying tortillas in Lubbock! He is a heck of a coach! Just look at the results he gets compared to the raking of his recruiting classes. If I was a Tech donor, I would be pi$$ed off at the Chancellor and Athletic Director.

Kerry
12-31-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm telling you - if I was Stoops I would have Leach on speed dial right now.

so1rfan
12-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Nope, Stoops was never high on the 90% passing offense. He prefers a much more balanced offense.

Pelini needs to put him on speed dial. If Nebraska had an offense to go with their defense, they would be very hard to beat.

nik4411
12-31-2009, 08:33 AM
whats crazy to me is how the texas tech athletic director has had it in for leach for a long time now. he has been looking for any excuse to get rid of him. and now he got it. which is absolutely moronic, b/c leach had them playing the best football of their history.
what a bad move.

kmf563
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
I will not miss Leach one bit. He threw more tantrums than any coach I have seen. I could not stand watching that guy on the sidelines. He has permanent bitter beer face.

Is what he did an offense to be fired over? Nope. Is what he did offensive and ridiculous? Yep. Served no purpose. There are plenty of other ways a coach can motivate someone with a concussion. It wasn't harmful, it was just stupid. If the kid was 8 and he made him go stand in a closet, sure. This would be a different conversation.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
... He has permanent bitter beer face...

Well, when one's a pirate, it's either that or the toothless grin....

dismayed
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Haven't followed the tales. Who kissed or kicked whom where when the wrong peep had their noses in the path of the action?

A player claims he was held against his will in a dark shed or electrical closet for three hours with guards posted outside, refusing to let him out, while he had a concussion.

The coach claims that when the kid was diagnosed with a concussion he required him to leave and go lie down in a spacious dark room to recover, posting three assistants in or near the room for his own safety.

Anonymous school sources claim they told the coach no harm no fowl if he would apologize and sign a document saying he would have all injured students examined by the team doctor and cleared for work before returning to practice from now on. He wouldn't, so they fired him.

The coach claims they called him in, chewed him out, and fired him.

That's the problem with being a hot-headed son of a bitch in public all of the time. When someone makes an allegation against you, regardless of whether or not you actually did it, it isn't too hard to want to believe them. Hope this is a life lesson for the coach.

rcjunkie
12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
As mentioned by BLUEDOGOK, it's embarrassing that they fire Coach Leach over this incident, yet almost worship Coach Knight, what a bunch of hypocrites.

Coach Leach is unemployed, and soon to be unemployed and wealthy.

jstanthrnme
01-02-2010, 11:33 PM
After watching that game tonight, it seems like ESPN produced and directed a made for tv movie.

Jon27
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
After watching that game tonight, it seems like ESPN produced and directed a made for tv movie.

Best line of the movie, "The winning of this bowl game has to be good for Adam James."

Spartan
01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
It is sickening to watch the ESPN hacks come to the support of the child of one of their co-wokers. I almost can't stand ESPN anymore. I would be 100% in favor of Leach returning as offensive coordinator at OU.

Good luck with that. Leach is big-time head coaching material. Tech was lucky he didn't leave after last year in the first place, and firing someone for "insubordination" is kind of bogus. They obviously can't afford the contract they signed to keep him.. a little odd when you have the most bizarre case for firing possibly the most brilliant coach in college football a day before an $800,000 retention bonus is due for "insubordination." Give me an f'ing break, pardon my French (I'm upset). Is this the same Tech that got a great opportunity out of a coach when Indiana fired Bobby Knight? The same Tech that kept coming to Bobby Knight's rescue?

And don't get me wrong, Leach is no Bobby Knight. It's not as if Leach is going out of his way to abuse and harass his players. Leach just has a little bit of mad genius inside of him, like when he told Taylor Potts he needs a more masculine name so he makes him wear the practice jersey that just says "NICK" lmao, or fertilizing the practice green with the coffee the machines brew in the athletic offices (I think he was trying to compare the crappy quality of both things), or just being "the Pirate."

If ND had waited two weeks before signing Brian Kelly and getting rid of Charlie Weis as fast as they could, this opportunity could have opened up. Could you imagine Mike Leach coaching the Fighting Irish? That would be..hilarious, riveting, awesome, and bizarre all at the same time.

Maybe Florida would be looking for a new coach, or at least a quality interim? I know a few other schools are looking. To me Leach has to go to the top of the list..

And wouldn't it seem like the last person you ever want to fire for bogus reasons would be a brilliant Pepperdine law school graduate?? Just a thought. Not smart for Texas Tech.

jstanthrnme
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs140.snc3/18755_228650138324_554318324_3296262_2638768_n.jpg

westsidesooner
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM

So true. It will be interesting to see what happens with Leach, Tech football (will they keep running the same pass happy system), their fan support, who'll be their next coach, (I'm pulling for Ruffin) and whether Tech will still be an incredibly hard place to win in football. Every year OU plays in Lubbock I know we could lose due to their fanatic fans and amazing ability to pass us to death no matter how good our defense is. ( That is true for most teams....just ask OSU or Nebraska) And yet when we play Tech in Norman it's usually a pretty easy win. They seem to have had the same problems as OU has had winning on the road.

But watching the game......and it was a great game I had to pull for the Big XII and Tech. And it got the bad taste out of my mouth from the love fest FOX had with Tim Tebow at the Sugar Bowl.

It was hard to tell there was even a game being played with all the close-ups of Tebow, (even during play while he was on the sidelines) Tebow special commentaries, and that he stayed in the game til 3 minutes were remaining in an epic blow-out. Disgusting. I felt sorry for the recievers, the Florida defense, and eveyone else involved in Gator football. And to top it off after the game FOX was pronouncing him "the greatest player to ever play the game" I didn't know whether to laugh or throw up. Granted Tim is a great player and seems to be a very nice guy....but stop with the love fest.

Sorry for going OT.

Kerry
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Westside - you think you have Tebow overload. I live in Jacksonville, FL and have to put up with it everyday in our local media. The Gator Bowl was Bobbie Bowden's last game and guess who was on the cover of the Florida Times Union paper with the special Gator Bowl insert. You guessed it, Tim Tebow in 3/4 page full color. A small b/w one column wide picture of Bobby Bowden appeared on page 3 of the Sports section.

rcjunkie
01-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Westside - you think you have Tebow overload. I live in Jacksonville, FL and have to put up with it everyday in our local media. The Gator Bowl was Bobbie Bowden's last game and guess who was on the cover of the Florida Times Union paper with the special Gator Bowl insert. You guessed it, Tim Tebow in 3/4 page full color. A small b/w one column wide picture of Bobby Bowden appeared on page 3 of the Sports section.

Kerry, I've heard rumor that Tebow can walk on water, have you read any thing in your local papers to validate this or is it just a rumor.

westsidesooner
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I feel sorry for you Kerry, luckily living here in Okc I may never have to hear his name mentoined much again. Unless it's for his charity work or some other great deed he may accomplish in the future. I doubt he'll make the NFL, unless some team with money to throw away just drafts him for the publicity. Dean Blevins (local sportscaster) ranted last night on the Tebow overload saying "Tim Tebow was mentioned, or shown during the game 512 times". It's ironic because since I was taping the game I briefly considered replaying it to count but couldn't stomach the thought........I'm glad someone did the dirtywork for me.

Again before anyone thinks I'm bashing him.......I think he was a great player, but one player doesn't make a team. I just feel it was unfair to the rest of the gators for fox to overload their coverage to be all about Tim.

And before I get accused of going OT,,,,,which I admit I've done, I was also disappointed in all the talk about Leach and James during the Alamo bowl as well. We tune in to watch a game.....not a soap opera.

mugofbeer
01-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Point one - agreed on Tebow. He was annointed as the next coming of Christ when he was a freshman making all those 3 yard touchdowns. I am sure he is a fine young man and he has a great future in front of him, no matter what happens, but I am SO glad he is graduating and we don't have to hear about him and see him with every sentance.

As far as Leach is concerned, the game is between two teams, one of which is Texas Tech where Coach Leach was employed until last week. Its a huge issue for them and was going to radically effect the players one way or the other. I think the jury is still out on what happened but the soap opera is going to continue for a while and its going to be quite nasty. I am not sure I support Coach Leach's actions against Adam James, but it appears James lied about being locked in an electrical closet. It appears the administration is using this as an excuse to get rid of a coach that was hard to deal with and it appears father Craig James (better known as one who took illegal gifts back in his SMU days causing SMU to be put on the NCAA "death penalty") meddled in team affairs, pushed coaches to get his son more playing time and tries to influence the school administration. James also shamelessly used his position at ESPN (with blame also going to ESPN) to freely state his opinions on the situation without representation from the Leach side for a few days before they interviewed Leach.

To summarize, TTech is a mess. They should clean out their athletic department administration over the entire issue. Leach may also end up with a lot more money.

Kerry
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Kerry, I've heard rumor that Tebow can walk on water, have you read any thing in your local papers to validate this or is it just a rumor.

Tebow doesn't have to walk on water. It just parts and gets out of his way. I actually feel a little sorry for Tebow. He is going to look stupid showing up for work as the local insurance salesman with the biblical references under his eyes.

As for Craig James and ESPN. Thanks for reminding everyone about his role in the destruction of SMU football. I guess apples don't fall far from the tree.

Stan Silliman
01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Here's my column on a possible Mike Leach trial. Feel free to criticize it.
The Trial of Mike Leach (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/Trial_Mike_Leach.html)

Kerry
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Here's my column on a possible Mike Leach trial. Feel free to criticize it.
The Trial of Mike Leach (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/Trial_Mike_Leach.html)

Stan - that was pretty darn good. I love this line.

If’n I let one lad go wuss, they all go wuss.