View Full Version : Decade in Review: The 00s

decepticobra
12-30-2009, 07:54 AM
well, this decade is almost over: 2000-2009..and what a crappy decade it was.

its known for the decline of the music industry courtesy of the ipod, itunes, napster and kazaa (to name a few)

for terrorism abroad and here at home

for politics: the good, the bad, the ugly, and the hidious (2000-2008..need i say more)

for instant celebrities just randomly popping up out of nowhere from being yesterday's nobodies.

the landline phone was effectively surpassed in domestic popularity in favor of the ever-portable and convienent cellular phone.

the vhs format, although ever-present and dominant in the late 20th century was finally overtaken by the DVD-ROM format.

overall, it was my least fave decade (i was born in 76 and thus far the 90s have been my fave decade).

im avidly looking forward to the next decade...(the tens? ..the teens?...anyone??)

so, here we are on the cusp of this new decade that will soon be upon us. will we finally drop using "two-thousand...." and instead start using "twenty" when referring to any year left in this 21st century?

what will you call this new year? twenty-ten? or two-thousand ten? (no one ever called the year 1985...one-thousand, nine-hundred and eighty-five)

what are some highlights, news stories, shakeups or other info youd like to reflect upon that you feel shaped this decade and is something that it will forever be known for?

khook
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
could be called the duh decade in honor of dubwah whom was the so called leader of the free world.

ronronnie1
12-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Technically this decade doesn't end until 2011 (2001-2010 being 10 years. We started with year ONE b.c. not year ZERO) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For me personally, this decade totally sucked. My beloved grandma died, and it was the decade I turned 30 (shoot me now!) On the larger scheme of things, we of course had to endure 8 years of the worst president ever - glad that's over - and everyone seems so polarized now. Maybe it's always been that way, but now it's just more glaring and obvious.

Let's hope the next decade will be better for everyone. Good riddance to the decade from hell.

gen70
12-31-2009, 10:45 PM
well, this decade is almost over: 2000-2009..and what a crappy decade it was.

its known for the decline of the music industry courtesy of the ipod, itunes, napster and kazaa (to name a few)

for terrorism abroad and here at home

for politics: the good, the bad, the ugly, and the hidious (2000-2008..need i say more)

for instant celebrities just randomly popping up out of nowhere from being yesterday's nobodies.

the landline phone was effectively surpassed in domestic popularity in favor of the ever-portable and convienent cellular phone.

the vhs format, although ever-present and dominant in the late 20th century was finally overtaken by the DVD-ROM format.

overall, it was my least fave decade (i was born in 76 and thus far the 90s have been my fave decade).

im avidly looking forward to the next decade...(the tens? ..the teens?...anyone??)

so, here we are on the cusp of this new decade that will soon be upon us. will we finally drop using "two-thousand...." and instead start using "twenty" when referring to any year left in this 21st century?

what will you call this new year? twenty-ten? or two-thousand ten? (no one ever called the year 1985...one-thousand, nine-hundred and eighty-five)

what are some highlights, news stories, shakeups or other info youd like to reflect upon that you feel shaped this decade and is something that it will forever be known for? So Negative...

skyrick
12-31-2009, 11:19 PM
So Negative...

You're right Gen70. Here's some positive things that happened to me in the last decade.
I had my 20th anniversary at my job.
My 25th wedding anniversary.
My daughter graduated high school, college, married a great guy and gave me my first grandchild.
Survived Bush.
Made my 1000th skydive.
OU got another National Championship.
Blu-Ray & HDTV.
Earned my NICET Level IV from my work on American Airlines Center.

Could have been worse.

Rick

gen70
12-31-2009, 11:41 PM
You're right Gen70. Here's some positive things that happened to me in the last decade.
My daughter graduated high school, college, married a great guy and gave me my first grandchild.
Survived Bush.
Made my 1000th skydive.
Blu-Ray & HDTV.

Could have been worse.

Rick Good is Good..Be positive or "Be Quiet"..How-a-bout-it?

Bunty
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM

what are some highlights, news stories, shakeups or other info youd like to reflect upon that you feel shaped this decade and is something that it will forever be known for?

I will refer to it as twenty-ten

I like the previous decade for the rise of HDTV and big screen TVs.

oneforone
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Good is Good..Be positive or "Be Quiet"..How-a-bout-it?

Survived Bush.
Made my 1000th skydive.
Blu-Ray & HDTV.

Could have been worse.

Rick

Bottomline... Life is what you make it.

If you spend your time complaining and worrying about everything you are never going to get anywhere in life. If you work at it, you can take every bad situation your dealt and turn it in to something good.

decepticobra
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Technically this decade doesn't end until 2011 (2001-2010 being 10 years. We started with year ONE b.c. not year ZERO) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For me personally, this decade totally sucked. My beloved grandma died, and it was the decade I turned 30 (shoot me now!) On the larger scheme of things, we of course had to endure 8 years of the worst president ever - glad that's over - and everyone seems so polarized now. Maybe it's always been that way, but now it's just more glaring and obvious.

Let's hope the next decade will be better for everyone. Good riddance to the decade from hell.

of course, if you want to get really technical..the gregorian calendar has been proven by scholars to be 4 years off.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014!!!!!