View Full Version : Victim's Protection Orders(VPO's)

Keith
02-12-2005, 03:26 PM
This last week, in Tulsa, a lady had filed an emergency victims protection order against her ex-husband. He was so mad about it, he went to her place of employment and went ballistic, killing her and then himself. So, do these protection orders work, or is it just another piece of paperwork? I hear of so many people getting VPO's against their ex-spouse, yet it seems that it really doesn't protect them, it just puts a target on them.

http://newsok.com/article/1422732/?template=home/main

Midtowner
02-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Generally speaking, they do work. We use them all the time in my line of work. Very commonplace really. While the system is far from perfect, I feel like this incedent in Tulsa is really the exception to the rule. Most of the time, these things work like they're supposed to.

Zoedith
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I dont think they work on anyone who is actually dangerous or mentally disturbed, but probably do on "normal" citizens.

Floating_adrift
02-13-2005, 01:42 AM
They can work.

If you surrounded yourself with a wall of them, 3' thick.

That might stop a bullet.

Maybe. :D

dirtrider73068
02-14-2005, 02:40 AM
I dont think they work on anyone who is actually dangerous or mentally disturbed, but probably do on "normal" citizens.

Yea like me when I finally had a nervous breakdown and went into a very deep depression threatenign suicide, my wife got fed some bs and she took out a vpo but never went to court for it. When I asked why she did that she couldn't give me straight answer just "from what she was told I said" and not getting the real facts.

Jay
02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Well you have to keep mind to some people file these VPO's for bogus reasons. Then you have the people who file a vpo and still maintain contact with the person. She made the mistake of going back to work. She should have called into work and stayed with a friend or relative until the police located him.

I think the main reason people have problems with ended relationships is because both people still maintain contact with each other. The best way to end a realtionship is to have a cooling off period. Each person should cease non-esstential communication for at least six months. If nothing else they should use a third party to communicate with their ex. People need time to heal thier heart and move on with thier lives. An break-up in many ways is like a death. It takes time to heal and rebuild a significant loss in one's life.