View Full Version : Towing cars

Pages : [1] 2

betts
12-26-2009, 01:53 PM
If you have a car that is stranded, please be aware that the city, AKA the police department, is towing cars, and you are responsible for the charges. I've got a little rant here, because my husband got stuck coming home from the hospital and has been at the hospital all day today. We spent half of yesterday trying to get his car out of the snowdrift it was in, without success. Today, I find it has been towed, despite that fact that it is a Saturday and it's off to the side on Oklahoma, which is one-way south of 10th street and dead ends two blocks from where he was stuck. They have not since plowed the street and I see three police cars lollygagging in the adjacent parking lot, chatting with each other. We've got quite enough policemen per square mile right here, and they're busy getting cars off of the sides of nonessential streets. On top of this, I get to pay for the privilege of having my car "moved', when we were going to try and dig it out this afternoon after said husband finally got off work. End rant.

Millie
12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Sounds like you weren't successful in moving it yourself and that your vehicle was creating a hazard.

betts
12-26-2009, 02:07 PM
It was off to the side of the street, but was probably illegal because it was in front of a driveway, although the driveway is that of a business not open today, and the snow on the driveway is too deep for it to be used. The snow was/is a greater hazard than our car. The street still has not been plowed.

flintysooner
12-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I wondered if down south where I am that they were just not plowing the street if there were any stalled cars.

I think I counted at least 20 abandoned cars today on my way to the farm and back.

Some major streets are amazingly bad in places and some are amazingly good. Can definitely tell where the plows have been.

betts
12-26-2009, 02:48 PM
All the cars have been towed off Oklahoma for hours now and it still hasn't been plowed. Of course, it's Saturday, and Oklahoma is a nonessential one-way street near downtown Oklahoma City that dead ends. That's why I don't know why they bothered to tow the cars, unless this is a money-making operation for someone.

Larry OKC
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
All the cars have been towed off Oklahoma for hours now and it still hasn't been plowed. Of course, it's Saturday, and Oklahoma is a nonessential one-way street near downtown Oklahoma City that dead ends. That's why I don't know why they bothered to tow the cars, unless this is a money-making operation for someone.

Sorry you got towed but you answered your own question. If any government entity can rake in a few more $$$, they are going to do so (especially from the common taxpayer). Doesn't have to make sense from our perspective. The City raised all of their fees/fines a few years ago when there was a budget crunch. When the crunch went away, did they lower the fees? Of course not. Would be surprised if when it is all said and done, it ends up costing you under $200 to get your car back (much less the time and inconvenience). let us know what the total bill is...

rcjunkie
12-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry you got towed but you answered your own question. If any government entity can rake in a few more $$$, they are going to do so (especially from the common taxpayer). Doesn't have to make sense from our perspective. The City raised all of their fees/fines a few years ago when there was a budget crunch. When the crunch went away, did they lower the fees? Of course not. Would be surprised if when it is all said and done, it ends up costing you under $200 to get your car back (much less the time and inconvenience). let us know what the total bill is...

Come on Larry, I've read your postings on a few different threads, you can't keep blaming City Government for everything, sometimes citizens have to accept responsibility for their own actions.

betts
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
It was $120. While at the towing place I saw a woman crying because her car had been towed, and she didn't have the money to get it out. I was there with just enough money to get our car out of hock, or I would have gotten hers out as well. That started me thinking......how many people got their cars towed for whom that $120 will be a huge financial hit for them? I don't understand why they couldn't have moved cars to the side of the road, or into parking lots nearby. And then, ironically, later today I was driving up north and saw a car on 63rd St. near the Broadway Extension. It was blocking the right hand lane, and hadn't been towed.

Our street, by the way, still hasn't been plowed. By tomorrow it won't need to be, as the snow will have melted. So, those cars were towed for nothing.

okyeah
12-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I saw that car on 63rd also..by the gas station at around 6:30-7 PM today. There were a couple of other cars also in the process of being towed on 63rd further down.

fokochang
12-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Sounds like you weren't successful in moving it yourself and that your vehicle was creating a hazard.

sounds like you're a jackass.

gmwise
12-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I think if I was doing the snow plowing I would just plow the abandon cars to the side.
Let them become scrap.
Let the insurance deal with it.

Larry OKC
12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
It was $120.

Sounds like you got off lucky, just saw on channel 9's rebroadcast, they said it can easily be over $200 (by the time you add up the impound fees, towing fees and any city citations, etc.)

rcjunkie
12-27-2009, 05:47 AM
It was $120. While at the towing place I saw a woman crying because her car had been towed, and she didn't have the money to get it out. I was there with just enough money to get our car out of hock, or I would have gotten hers out as well. That started me thinking......how many people got their cars towed for whom that $120 will be a huge financial hit for them? I don't understand why they couldn't have moved cars to the side of the road, or into parking lots nearby. And then, ironically, later today I was driving up north and saw a car on 63rd St. near the Broadway Extension. It was blocking the right hand lane, and hadn't been towed.

Our street, by the way, still hasn't been plowed. By tomorrow it won't need to be, as the snow will have melted. So, those cars were towed for nothing.

My Uncle own's one of the tow company's that has a contract with the City, I asked him why they don't just tow to a nearby lot or to the side of the road. He said that by law, once they hook to a vehicle, they are responsiblie for any damage that may occur and they tow it to their storage yard so they can protect the vehicle from any theft or damage.

Spartan
12-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Thanks for paying for the city to not plow the roads in my part of town, your part of town, and every other part of town for the most part.. oh except 134th. That's like providing us a highway to get the hell out of OKC so we can shop and eat in Moore city limits at the wonderful restaurants they have over there..

The good news is you probably paid for the union dues of one of those extra cops hanging out having a good time on duty in the parking lot behind Deep Deuce. This is good news because they are working hard doing a tough job that most of us don't have the spine to handle, and you don't work hard enough.

mikesimpsons82
12-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Sounds like you were one of the idiots driving in it the other day and got your car stuck. Darwin award here you come?

betts
12-27-2009, 08:39 AM
There were people going to and from work who got stuck.

fokochang
12-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you were one of the idiots driving in it the other day and got your car stuck. Darwin award here you come?

actually, i stayed at home. i am still alive, and plan on making thousands of offspring. if i was to win any darwin award, it will be one of creating a master race.

this whole topic basically boils down to, do you not understand that that person was coming home from a HOSPITAL. it doesn't matter whether or not the laws make sense or blah blah blah. be more empathetic it's freaking christmas.

MGE1977
12-27-2009, 10:27 AM
1st: Union members pay their own dues. Its not that you are spineless, as obviously you can right yourself enough type on a keyboard, but certainly softer than most who do the job.

2nd: Why must it always be that I got stuck, I wanna cry about it, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna? "You're turning violet, Violet!"

How can you cry about roads un-plowed and then cry about cars left by the roadway which are as much an obstruction and hazard as un-plowed snow?

Law, black and white. There is nothing worse than the privileged few who feel that someone else is obligated to do other than what it is their jobs to do, because it infringes on their lives. Let me correct myself, the thing that is worse is using someone elses plight to edify one's argument - "poor distraught soul at the impound lot who couldn't afford...." Pay for her and go on, or don't, just don't tell us either way.

Come on, what if your unattended car was to be plowed in by the street crews. "Oh, poor me, my car was in nobody's way and some city brute plowed snow into it causing thousands of dollars in damage." Your rant would continue to annoy, just on another thread.

oneforone
12-27-2009, 11:35 AM
One thing that most people do not know is that most cities have an abandoned vehicle ordiance. This prevents people from leaving their vehicles in places where it would be considered unsafe or an eyesore.

If this had happened to me, I would have found a way to get my vehicle out as soon as possible. Towing fees are the least of my worries. Abandoned vehicles are easy targets for thieves and vandals because nobody knows if the vehicle is theirs or not. This gives theives all the time in the world to pull car stereos, wheels, catalyitic coverters and anything else in the vehicle of value.

Spartan
12-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Law, black and white.

This is why I hate spineless cops, which most cops are spineless and worthless. Geez what the hell is the matter with you? It is Christmas, these cars got stranded, which sucks. Do you assholes have to be the Grinch every year?

LakeEffect
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
This is why I hate spineless cops, which most cops are spineless and worthless. Geez what the hell is the matter with you? It is Christmas, these cars got stranded, which sucks. Do you assholes have to be the Grinch every year?

Really nice... way to be above the fray here.

Do you actually know any cops? How about any firemen? Would you really call most of them spineless?

Spartan
12-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I said cops.. and I was merely responding to a worthless remark by a different poster, not you. I do not want to hear, "Well, it's the law, deal with it." Howabout this: "Well, I'm a democrat and I don't like cops, deal with it."

LakeEffect
12-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I said cops.. and I was merely responding to a worthless remark by a different poster, not you. I do not want to hear, "Well, it's the law, deal with it." Howabout this: "Well, I'm a democrat and I don't like cops, deal with it."

Hehe, never heard a Democrat say that. :smile: Commies and right-wingers, sure.

I'm really curious to see if people make a big deal out of this (i.e., TV and newspaper media). I think they should. What a nice welcome to an out-of-towner that may have been stranded here.

"Welcome to OKC. We'll take your hotel tax and maybe some sales tax. Leave your car out in the street, and then you can pay the tow company to get it back. Merry Christmas."

MGE1977
12-27-2009, 01:58 PM

It's Christmas? Hold everything! I hadn't the slightest idea, surely I would have known for all the lawlessness. In the name of all that is holy stop writing tickets.

Spartan, you're a dandy.

You're a democrat? Again, alert the presses! What on God's great green earth does it matter?

Vehicles in the roadway are a danger, just like the snow and ice that put them there. If not for the tickets, what would motivate some to pick up after themselves? The spring thaw?

It is foolish to think that laws are developed just to hack you off, you are on third rock from the sun just like the rest of us, (unless your wifi is really, really good) and not the center of everybody's universe as your posts would have us think. Pipe down. Nobody cares about your beef with the cops.

Somewhere a cop broke your heart. Wrote you a ticket. Looked you in the face and told you that you were wrong. Something so heinous and reproachful that you vowed a solemn vow to chide them and hate on them whenever and wherever your paths may cross. I dunno.

What I do know is that you are a self serving dandy, and when you become king Spartacus, you can keep your kingdom as you see fit.

barnold
12-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry about your car. Perhaps if you knew a few more rednecks with 4WD vehicles we could have gotten you pulled out. I been doing it for the past two days for my brothers that needed to get to work.

oneforone
12-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Abandoned Vehicles Need To Be Moved From OKC Roadways - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11732497)

It sounds like the city gave people plenty of notice before they towed.

Most people were stuck Thursday. This left them the rest of Thursday and all day Friday to make arrangements.

OUSoonerfan3
12-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I work with a guy from Minnesota. He said up there, they tow abandoned cars that are stuck in snow...if the snowplows haven't buried them first. OKC apparently doesn't have a monopoly on this practice.

betts
12-27-2009, 04:56 PM
How can you cry about roads un-plowed and then cry about cars left by the roadway which are as much an obstruction and hazard as un-plowed snow?

You missed the point. If they were towing cars because they were obstructing the roadway (although ours was not) then they should have made haste to plow the road once they'd towed the cars. My point was that the snow was as much, if not more, of an obstruction that the cars. We spent an entire afternoon trying to dig the car out, because it was stuck and then was drifted in, and were unsuccessful. Then, the next day, we had to work and so couldn't try to get it out until after work. The car was already towed. There was nothing on the news about cars being towed, we had tried to call AAA to help and got no answer, and the car was on the side of a road on a one-way street that deadended two blocks from there. It was a Saturday and there was virtually no traffic in our neighborhood. There are still cars on much bigger streets today (Britton Rd and 64rd St) obstructing an entire lane that have not been towed. So, I fail to understand why ours was towed. That's all.

Law, black and white. There is nothing worse than the privileged few who feel that someone else is obligated to do other than what it is their jobs to do, because it infringes on their lives. Let me correct myself, the thing that is worse is using someone elses plight to edify one's argument - "poor distraught soul at the impound lot who couldn't afford...." Pay for her and go on, or don't, just don't tell us either way.

I would have paid for the "distraught soul" if I'd had a check or credit card with me. I'd brought only enough money to get my car out of impound and so could not. I didn't use to to further my argument. I was simply pointing out that the cost of a tow might be a hardship for some of the people who had their cars towed. You don't feel sorry for someone who doesn't have $120 to get her car out of impound? What if it would take all the money she has for food to retrieve her car? What if she has to work tomorrow and has no idea how to get there without her car? $120 is a real hardship for some people, and the towing company obviously didn't discriminate. I don't think it's unreasonable to talk about it, as perhaps we should all think about the consequences of decisions like that by the city. You all get your time and a half for working on Christmas Day, I'm sure. Not to mention your nice salary and benefits. $120 is probably no big deal to you. But for some people, it might be all the extra money they have for the month, or it might be more than they have available. Especially at the end of the month. If she didn't get her car out yesterday, I suspect they'll add daily charges. I felt sorry for her. I felt sorry for myself because it was expensive and a pain in the neck to spend half the afternoon chasing around when we'd done nothing wrong, but for her, I felt really bad. Especially when the "law" was clearly enforced randomly.

Come on, what if your unattended car was to be plowed in by the street crews. "Oh, poor me, my car was in nobody's way and some city brute plowed snow into it causing thousands of dollars in damage." Your rant would continue to annoy, just on another thread.

If my car had been plowed in, I wouldn't have ranted. That I would have understood. It's happened to me many a time in other cities where they get real snow on a regular basis. It's a pain in the neck, but it's understandable. If I annoy you, put me on ignore. It's simple, or Doug will tell you how to do it if you can't figure it out.

betts
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Abandoned Vehicles Need To Be Moved From OKC Roadways - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11732497)

It sounds like the city gave people plenty of notice before they towed.

Most people were stuck Thursday. This left them the rest of Thursday and all day Friday to make arrangements.

Although it's probably time to let this rest, the dateline on the above story is 7 hours after our car was towed. My husband got stuck coming home from work late Thursday night. He had to work on Christmas Day, and we spent the time after he got home from work trying to get the car out of the drift it was in. People were told not to get out on Christmas Day, and certainly not to drive, so there were probably a lot of people who didn't try to get their cars out on Christmas Day. My husband had to work on Saturday as well, and we'd planned to try and get it out when he got home from work Saturday, hoping the snow would have softened. By then, our car was gone. And, after working all day on Saturday, we had to chase around to get the car out of the impound. It took me at least an hour on the phone trying to figure out where it was, so there were multiple aggravating things that happened. On top of that, they didn't plow our street after they towed all the cars. If being aggravated by all of the above is out of line, I apologize.

Spartan
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
It is foolish to think that laws are developed just to hack you off, you are on third rock from the sun just like the rest of us, (unless your wifi is really, really good) and not the center of everybody's universe as your posts would have us think. Pipe down. Nobody cares about your beef with the cops.

You should write for Правда.

grantgeneral78
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
I think it is a joke they are doing the fines, I seen a car buried from a plow scraping, and there is no way to even get to the car. At least make the charges reasonable!

Spartan
12-27-2009, 07:34 PM
City fines should never be reasonable. That would be like..I don't know, I'm at a loss for words about what a catastrophe it would be to have reasonable fines.

LakeEffect
12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
City fines should never be reasonable. That would be like..I don't know, I'm at a loss for words about what a catastrophe it would be to have reasonable fines.

So you think current fines are unreasonable? What makes them unreasonable?

I'm not arguing with you - my wife recently was ticketed $172 for not fully stopping at a 4-way. No ticket in the past three years, really nice officer, not a hint of warning her... However, I'm curious why you'd think it unreasonable.

Steve
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Here's one for you: the same stupid people who were out driving Christmas Eve (ok, there were some who had to) were out TONIGHT, in the dark, trying to dig their cars out on a busy street, almost causing oncoming cars to crash... I really wonder about some folks these days.
Oh well... now where's that Idiocracy DVD I've been meaning to watching again?
object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0yQunhOaU0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0yQunhOaU0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spartan
12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
So you think current fines are unreasonable? What makes them unreasonable?

I'm not arguing with you - my wife recently was ticketed $172 for not fully stopping at a 4-way. No ticket in the past three years, really nice officer, not a hint of warning her... However, I'm curious why you'd think it unreasonable.

If you look at what a speeding ticket used to cost 5-6 years ago, and what it costs now, it is unreasonable. A $50 ticket for 5 mph over is now at least $120 it seems. Contrary to what people on this forum think, I actually don't get tickets all that often, I just get annoyed at the petty concept of tracking everyone's speed and following people to make sure they follow motor vehicle laws to a T. It's just a pet peeve of mine, but I'm actually pretty good at flying under the radar believe it or not. I just don't like the idea of what they're doing when they could be fighting crime in areas like where my grandparents live, around 44th and Walker.

LakeEffect
12-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Speeding up to 10 over is now $161...

I think a good discussion about what divisions are responsible for what, and how many people are assigned to each task, would be good. For instance, how many traffic units are there compared to gang officers, or traffic units vs. radio call units?

Spartan
12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
That would be a good discussion. I think my problem is just that I am not a gang and I don't live in a part of town with much gang activity, and I don't result in very many radio calls, so almost ALL of my exposure to the OKCPD is traffic cops. We have a cop neighbor, but beside that, I obviously don't get much exposure to anything but the incessant speed traps you always see in far SW OKC. It's almost to the point where I know where they are every time, and more often than not, he's sitting right there in the same spot every day in certain parking lots..

I'm sure these guys are single-handedly keeping Krispy Kreme on 240 from closing. Too bad they don't like Starbucks, because I lost my Starbucks while I was gone..

Steve
12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
My exposure to police is much different. They were the guys who ran into a crumbling building one day, and said damn it all and continued their search for people desperately needing a savior... even as disaster threatened them as well. That day was April 19, 1995, but such heroics go on every day. Yes, there good guys and there are a few bad apples, and sometimes the politics get stupid. But don't just dismiss police as donut addicts... that's not fair Spartan.

betts
12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Here's one for you: the same stupid people who were out driving Christmas Eve (ok, there were some who had to) were out TONIGHT, in the dark, trying to dig their cars out on a busy street, almost causing oncoming cars to crash... I really wonder about some folks these days.
Oh well... now where's that Idiocracy DVD I've been meaning to watching again?
object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0yQunhOaU0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0yQunhOaU0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now, my question is: why hadn't their car been towed? It's over 24 hours since mine was and it wasn't on a busy street.

Steve
12-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't know...

gmwise
12-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Now, my question is: why hadn't their car been towed? It's over 24 hours since mine was and it wasn't on a busy street.

you were pro MAPS3...or just the luck of the draw..

betts
12-27-2009, 10:39 PM
you were pro MAPS3...or just the luck of the draw..

Haha! Now that you mention it, there was a Yes for MAPS bumper sticker on the rear car window. That just might be the answer.......

Spartan
12-27-2009, 11:30 PM
No way Betts. Our police wouldn't do that, because they wouldn't be bitter about city politics. There's no way they would ever consider taking out their frustrations against us, the people beneath them. Don't forget that these are the people who are doing a job that we are too spineless and immature to handle. We're not on their level of bravery and heroism, and you should be ashamed of yourself for having a pro-MAPS bumper sticker, and your husband getting stuck in a blizzard on top of it. How can you even sleep at night knowing what you did to OKC's Finest?

________
Steve: I don't doubt quite a few police were involved in the Murrah bombing, but typically non-hostage rescue missions are a fire department function, not a function of policing. Hence the name "Oklahoma City Fire Rescue," as the official name of the department, I believe. The police officers who participated in rescue efforts are heroes. The firefighters, who were more involved in rescuing people out from the smoldering wreckage, are even bigger heroes. The people from the community who aren't professional public safety who helped with the rescue are also heroes. The churches who helped families in the aftermath, and the list goes on and on.. That was a special circumstance and OKC was at its best on that day to overcome the horrible thing that happened.

It would be nice if we were still as unified as a city as we were on that day, and in the aftermath of the bombing. But we aren't. We need to get there, but we don't get there with union politics and corrupt police officers relishing in the moment of the Murrah bombing for righteousness. Especially if that sense of righteousness gives them leverage over the citizens of OKC who pay their wages, because there were a fair share of citizens that should have the same claim to righteousness from the events on that day, but do they get "special status" over other citizens to do whatever they want because of it? No, they don't..because laws and the constitution still apply to people and limit what people can do, whereas cops are given unchecked power over the people. We've created a monster because we want them to be super-enabled in the unlikely event that they should ever have to keep us safe. And let's face it, another Murrah bombing or me getting held hostage or whatever is an unlikely event..unless I manage to succeed someday at really ticking off somebody from this forum. LOL

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Although it's probably time to let this rest, the dateline on the above story is 7 hours after our car was towed. My husband got stuck coming home from work late Thursday night. He had to work on Christmas Day, and we spent the time after he got home from work trying to get the car out of the drift it was in. People were told not to get out on Christmas Day, and certainly not to drive, so there were probably a lot of people who didn't try to get their cars out on Christmas Day. My husband had to work on Saturday as well, and we'd planned to try and get it out when he got home from work Saturday, hoping the snow would have softened. By then, our car was gone. And, after working all day on Saturday, we had to chase around to get the car out of the impound. It took me at least an hour on the phone trying to figure out where it was, so there were multiple aggravating things that happened. On top of that, they didn't plow our street after they towed all the cars. If being aggravated by all of the above is out of line, I apologize.

It's not out of line in my book. I'd be livid. There are still cars sitting on entrance/exit ramps...And when that ramp is still covered in snow/ice and the highway is clear, getting up to speed (or braking early enough) is already a pretty good driving challenge.

Well...They were still there on Sunday evening anyway. The one that comes to mind was a car sitting in the white hashes by the Hefner exit (or Britton, I'm not sure) off the Hefner Speedway of DOOM. There wasn't much room between that car and the plowed pile of snow on the right. Wouldn't take much of an error to have that go horribly wrong.

How far away are you from the towing yard? They're probably just soaking up the easy tows/fines first instead of taking care of the 14 cars I counted on I-40 between Peebly and Douglas Saturday (still there Sunday morning).

If you're looking for a silver lining...Well...Hey, you didn't have to dig your car out :D

MGE1977
12-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Betts

We don't get time and a half for any holidays worked.

If your question is to why there were still cars snowed in on roads unplowed and that those cars were unticketed, I can't answer. Really why is it that anything happens to just anybody and not everybody? Its still a whiny topic, and you are obviously disgruntled at the treatment you'd received at the hands of some villainous cop.

As Spartan said, cops are craven, cowardly, spineless city employees who were tasked with a job by the city and its citizens who pay their salaries but are disgusted when called upon to pay their tickets. "Protect me, Protect me, but don't protect others from me..." - laughable.

As you've said, the dateline for the story probably precludes any more argument from me, but I can assure you that the "important" parts of the city were well taken care of - truckloads of snow leaving the Bricktown area without stop while the rest of us had to fend for ourselves. Now, you could just as easily have remarked on such, but obviously you don't consider yourself as important as the Spaghetti Warehouse.

rcjunkie
12-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Betts

We don't get time and a half for any holidays worked.

If your question is to why there were still cars snowed in on roads unplowed and that those cars were unticketed, I can't answer. Really why is it that anything happens to just anybody and not everybody? Its still a whiny topic, and you are obviously disgruntled at the treatment you'd received at the hands of some villainous cop.

As Spartan said, cops are craven, cowardly, spineless city employees who were tasked with a job by the city and its citizens who pay their salaries but are disgusted when called upon to pay their tickets. "Protect me, Protect me, but don't protect others from me..." - laughable.

As you've said, the dateline for the story probably precludes any more argument from me, but I can assure you that the "important" parts of the city were well taken care of - truckloads of snow leaving the Bricktown area without stop while the rest of us had to fend for ourselves. Now, you could just as easily have remarked on such, but obviously you don't consider yourself as important as the Spaghetti Warehouse.

Glad to hear Bricktown has been cleared, I need to go to Bass Pro to pickup a handgun and I trhink I'll stop by Spaghetti Warehouse for lunch.

Thanks for the information, have a Great Day and God Bless!!

Martin
12-28-2009, 07:53 AM

there's no substance to this post other than a personal attack... if you disagree with somebody, refute their point... don't just call names.

-M

Karried
12-28-2009, 08:14 AM
betts, I'm sorry your car got towed. It is a terrible thing to have happened.

I'm also sorry for the heartless comments people felt inclined to post. It's really ridiculous how people treat others when they can anonymously say what they want to say without consequences.

gmwise
12-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Betts got off lucky.
If it was up to me I would have plowed the "junk and abandoned cars" to the side and let the insurance companies or the goobers deal with it.

oneforone
12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Betts got off lucky.
If it was up to me I would have plowed the "junk and abandoned cars" to the side and let the insurance companies or the goobers deal with it.

I would not be suprised if that has actually happened to some of the cars already. I have seen a number cars on the Interstates burried in snow drifts created by the plow trucks.

Just yesterday a plow driver found a dead driver who was missing from Minco in a 6 foot snow bank.

gmwise
12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
On second thought,
we will need malpractice insurance for snow plowing operations.

gmwise
12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I would not be suprised if that has actually happened to some of the cars already. I have seen a number cars on the Interstates burried in snow drifts created by the plow trucks.

Just yesterday a plow driver found a dead driver who was missing from Minco in a 6 foot snow bank.

Good lord..
I am sorry for that family.

jstaylor62
12-28-2009, 10:55 AM
After the profit from all the towing, expect to see a few shiny new boats in the lots of the impound yards.

And how much do you want to wager that if you called a towing company for help, they were to busy towing vehicles for the city...

MGE1977
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Glad to hear Bricktown has been cleared, I need to go to Bass Pro to pickup a handgun and I trhink I'll stop by Spaghetti Warehouse for lunch.

Thanks for the information, have a Great Day and God Bless!!

Seriously Junkie leave it alone. I could care less as to who plows what because they got their orders from their bosses.

Getting your car towed sucks. Who could refute that? (Except for you of course Junkie as long as a fireman or policeman said so). My point is not to state otherwise.

How can someone complain about the towing of their car when it is on the public right of way, any right of way? It's the law, why does someone want to claim that Christmas is reason for a total shutdown of public works except the ones that benefit them?

Writing tickets is not something that cops necessarily enjoy, but its part of their job. I don't like to put IV's in babies, but when the time comes....
Something that is unpleasant, yet still a part of one's job has to be approached in a black and white fashion, otherwise it doesn't get done. In my case, no matter how much the baby screams, I am not deterred from gaining IV access to provide care necessary to the baby. In the cops' instance they are given a number, and then they meet that number, regardless of who you are, or what you do for a living, if you are found on the wrong side of the law, you suffer consequences.

Junkie people have been called Trolls on this site for a lot less then what you continually do. You can stir this pot all you want, and you'll be wasting a lot of time at the lakehouse that you could be using for something more enjoyable and truly something of which those of us without lakehouses might envy.

betts
12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Betts got off lucky.

My car was on the SIDE of the road at the time it was towed. It was not obstructing traffic, and there wasn't any traffic anyway, because the snow was too deep to get through, and the road ends in a dead end. That's what ticked me off: if access was so important, why didn't they plow the road after they towed the cars? Yes, justice is spotty and life's not fair. Sometimes people get raises and others don't. Sometimes people get laid off and others don't. Some departments don't get what they ask for and others do. So, if we can't gripe about it, shall we ALL cease and desist?

gmwise
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
My car was on the SIDE of the road at the time it was towed. It was not obstructing traffic, and there wasn't any traffic anyway, because the snow was too deep to get through, and the road ends in a dead end. That's what ticked me off: if access was so important, why didn't they plow the road after they towed the cars? Yes, justice is spotty and life's not fair. Sometimes people get raises and others don't. Sometimes people get laid off and others don't. Some departments don't get what they ask for and others do. So, if we can't gripe about it, shall we ALL cease and desist?

lol
As for others and in general, hell yeah, those who HAD a choice and didnt pull to the side when they noticed problems were stupid.
it wasnt meant to say i would plow yours into a wall.
calm down ..
but being pro maps didnt help ya much...rofl

easternobserver
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
First, no one had any business driving in those conditions unless they had an appropriate vehicle, a real need, and had a backup plan - someone to pull a stuck vehicle out. What if the car had been stuck in traffic or what if the driver had lost control? Purely selfish, and any tow bill should have been accompanied by a ticket.

Second, why would you assume the city will plow your street? Cities here just dont have the infrastructure to plow every street.

Third, what about the idea of pushing cars to the side or putting them in a parking lot? Whose parking lot? Who would pay for this?

Towing cars without ticketing the drivers seems quite reasonable, and I still vote for traffic tickets for all!

betts
12-28-2009, 05:51 PM
A. People were at work when the snow started. My husband was already at the hospital, and saying he couldn't work that day because it might snow really hard wouldn't exactly have flown. We live in a state where snow frequently melts as it hits the ground, and you can't always believe the weathermen, as they thrive on doom and gloom. Unless one wanted to sleep at work, most people tried to drive home, it being Christmas Eve and all.

B. Most of us don't have four-wheel drive vehicles, because a snow like this is a once-in-a-century snow and it's more cost effective to drive a Prius (my husband's car....we like green vehicles, but they aren't very snow-worthy). No one here has chains or snow tires. I'm not even sure you can buy chains here, although I've never tried. Growing up in New York, he's an experienced snow driver, and managed to make it almost the entire 14 miles from work before getting hopelessly stuck a block from our house at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

C. I don't think anyone thought the city would or should plow our street. My comment was simply that, without being plowed, our street was inaccessible to traffic anyway, so there was no real reason to tow cars that were parked as close to the curb as one could get them if there wasn't a plan to plow the street in place.

D. Many people who had to abandon their cars had no way to get back to get them out because you couldn't drive due to all the stalled cars and the depth of the snow. We tried calling many a wrecker and AAA and couldn't even get anyone to answer the phone. We had access to ours and still couldn't get it dug out, because the snow on the street was so deep that there was no place to drive it once we'd dug it out. We would have had to dig out the whole street.

So, was it fair....no. Is it time to drop it....yes.

soonerguru
12-28-2009, 06:20 PM

I can see that your charm offensive is still in effect.

Steve
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
For what it's worth as this thread goes back and forth on the subject of tickets...
It was a parking ticket that led to the capture of the Son of Sam in NYC, 1977 - one of the most ruthless serial killers of the century.
And w/o meaning to dwell on the boming, it was a speeding stop that led to the arrest of Timothy McVeigh.