View Full Version : Unbelievable.

SOONER8693
12-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Wife is a flight attendant for United. Stuck in Denver, trying to get to OKC. All flights are ready to go from Denver and elsewhere, United and other carriers. But, the ONE guy that clears the ramp areas at OKC was in an accident last night and can't clear the ramps. So, planes can land on the runways, but can't get off the runways to the terminal. The entire airport remains closed because one person is not available. I hope the man is OK, but, an entire airport is still closed because of that. Wow. Nice job OKC.

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Wife is a flight attendant for United. Stuck in Denver, trying to get to OKC. All flights are ready to go from Denver and elsewhere, United and other carriers. But, the ONE guy that clears the ramp areas at OKC was in an accident last night and can't clear the ramps. So, planes can land on the runways, but can't get off the runways to the terminal. The entire airport remains closed because one person is not available. I hope the man is OK, but, an entire airport is still closed because of that. Wow. Nice job OKC.

From Will Rogers World Airport (http://www.flyokc.com/) at 11:46 am:

"12/24/2009
Will Rogers World now open with limited service...

Will Rogers World Airport has reopened for flights. However, flight schedules have not returned to normal. It is advised that you contact your airline for flight status prior to coming to the airport. Do not come to the airport if your flight has been cancelled. If your flight has been cancelled, contact your airline to reschedule your flight."

I think some bad information is being spread amongst airline employees...

andy157
12-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Wife is a flight attendant for United. Stuck in Denver, trying to get to OKC. All flights are ready to go from Denver and elsewhere, United and other carriers. But, the ONE guy that clears the ramp areas at OKC was in an accident last night and can't clear the ramps. So, planes can land on the runways, but can't get off the runways to the terminal. The entire airport remains closed because one person is not available. I hope the man is OK, but, an entire airport is still closed because of that. Wow. Nice job OKC.But just think how much in overtime pay the airport would have to shell-out. Since it's a holiday it's most likely the overtime doubles, and that could cost around $1,000. I'll bet. Thats a lot of money just to keep the airport up and running, even for a big league City. So a few people miss spending Christmas with their families, thats no big deal. There's always next year.

Steve
12-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Don't worry - the airport has plenty of money thanks to their underground assets.

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 10:53 AM
But just think how much in overtime pay the airport would have to shell-out. Since it's a holiday it's most likely the overtime doubles, and that could cost around $1,000. I'll bet. Thats a lot of money just to keep the airport up and running, even for a big league City. So a few people miss spending Christmas with their families, thats no big deal. There's always next year.

And I'm sure the Airport builds overtime into its budget... Mighty cynical response for Christmas Day, don't you think Andy?

Steve
12-25-2009, 10:54 AM
No cynicism allowed on CHRISTMAS!

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
The more I think about it, the more I would guess that it might be a United employee issue, not an airport issue. The same staff that clears runways is the same staff that clears the ramp areas.

Like Steve said - No cynicism allowed on CHRISTMAS!

SOONER8693
12-25-2009, 11:11 AM
From Will Rogers World Airport (http://www.flyokc.com/) at 11:46 am:

"12/24/2009
Will Rogers World now open with limited service...

Will Rogers World Airport has reopened for flights. However, flight schedules have not returned to normal. It is advised that you contact your airline for flight status prior to coming to the airport. Do not come to the airport if your flight has been cancelled. If your flight has been cancelled, contact your airline to reschedule your flight."

I think some bad information is being spread amongst airline employees...

I will relay that information. Thank you.

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I will relay that information. Thank you.

No problem. I feel your pain. My brother-in-law's girlfriend's dad is stuck in Denver for the 2nd day in a row... the family got to the airport late on Wed. and he had to miss the flight to check bags/ski equipment while the rest of the family made it back to Oklahoma City (and then drove down to Wichita Falls). Now he's still in Denver.

andy157
12-25-2009, 01:21 PM
And I'm sure the Airport builds overtime into its budget... Mighty cynical response for Christmas Day, don't you think Andy?Yes it was, and I'm very sorry. I was pissed off and feeling sorry for myself. I ask Santa for a pony and didn't get one. Merry Christmas to all.

PennyQuilts
12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Daughter was incoming on a plane, yesterday, that had to turn around just before landing when they closed the airport. Her plane just NOW landed and the poor thing spent Christmas Eve and nearly all day in a frickin ariport.

nik4411
12-25-2009, 10:23 PM
been there done that. no fun at all

Platemaker
12-26-2009, 05:18 AM
Cross your fingers everyone.... if someone shows up to work at 8am I can go home and sleep! I will have been here at work working for 48 hours straight with only a short nap yesterday at 9AMish.... I'm starting to see things!

Unbelievable...

buckt
12-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Cross your fingers everyone.... if someone shows up to work at 8am I can go home and sleep! I will have been here at work working for 48 hours straight with only a short nap yesterday at 9AMish.... I'm starting to see things!

Unbelievable...

Hope you get your well deserved rest!

SkyWestOKC
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
It's not as simple as running the plow through the ramp areas. It takes some planning, what happens if the plow hits ice and crashes into a jetway, damages an airline's property, or takes out a fire hydrant and water begins to flood the ramp?

The ramp is a dangerous place and it takes time to plan the best way to plow it without plowing down the things that are fine.

Kerry
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
My brother-in-law's girlfriend's dad is stuck in Denver for the 2nd day in a row

Explain that relationship again. Does your sister know about her husband's girlfriend?

Of Sound Mind
12-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Explain that realtionship again. Does your sister know about her husband's girlfriend?
Surely he was talking about his wife's brother's girlfriend's dad.

Kerry
12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Surely he was talking about his wife's brother's girlfriend's dad.

Why do I feel like I am talking to a valley girl that just got back from the mall? :LolLolLol

That is four degree of seperation. Two more and it could have been Kevin Bacon on that delayed flight.

LakeEffect
12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Of all the things to pick up on... and Brad is correct. Don't know if you were correcting my grammar or just pointing out that it is a distant relationship.

Kerry
12-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Of all the things to pick up on... and Brad is correct. Don't know if you were correcting my grammar or just pointing out that it is a distant relationship.

Neither - just having fun.

LakeEffect
12-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Neither - just having fun.

With all the cynicism and sarcasm on OKC Talk lately, I couldn't tell. :smile:

Kerry
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
With all the cynicism and sarcasm on OKC Talk lately, I couldn't tell. :smile:

Sorry about that.