View Full Version : Local Radio's Lack Of Obligation during a "State Of Emergency"

sumrzz
12-24-2009, 09:42 PM
This has been talked about before and after todays events I think it's worthy to yet again talk about Radio's obligation to act in the public interest during a time of a State Of Emergency.

Why was KTOK the only radio station in town to carry continuous coverage of Blizzard 2009?

Where was the responsibility and broadcast obligation from other news/talk stations in Oklahoma City that should have been serving as a public service?

and finally, if there is no longer a responsibility or obligation then what part of multiple radio ownership deregulated this responsibility?

sumrzz
12-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a perfect example from someone stranded on the highway wanting information but can't find any on the radio right now at 11:07pm on 12/24/09
This copied from KOCO's Live Blog:

"does anyone know what radio station is broadcasting the current weather situation in oklahoma?"
by Anant

Radio station GM's you should be ashamed.

rcjunkie
12-25-2009, 01:44 AM
This has been talked about before and after todays events I think it's worthy to yet again talk about Radio's obligation to act in the public interest during a time of a State Of Emergency.

Why was KTOK the only radio station in town to carry continuous coverage of Blizzard 2009?

Where was the responsibility and broadcast obligation from other news/talk stations in Oklahoma City that should have been serving as a public service?

and finally, if there is no longer a responsibility or obligation then what part of multiple radio ownership deregulated this responsibility?

By no means do I not care, but if it's been talked about before, then people should know what stations to tune to during events like this, maybe there needs to be 1 or 2 additional stations that carry live coverage. But, do we really need or want, EVERY station, I don't think so.

Spartan
12-25-2009, 02:08 AM
The thing about this weather coverage is that it's all for ratings. They're not doing it to save lives, they're doing it because their ratings go out the ceiling if they can convince everyone in OKC that THEY WILL DIE IF THEY CHANGE THE CHANNEL OR..GASP..LEAVE THE LIVING ROOM.

The reality is that there are a ton of people who do just fine. It's perfectly safe to go around the corner to get some more food if you have 4WD and don't just gun it. If you have a car without 4WD, then that does kinda suck..I would definitely stay home in that case, but that's your problem. 90% of the cars that get stuck don't have it.

And come on, we on this forum know more than anything that KTOK is the worst when it comes to pushing bullcrap that they know Okies are too braindead to do anything but just eat up. If anything I'd like to thank the other stations for doing a public service and providing music and Christmas cheer to those sad souls who got themselves stuck.

oneforone
12-25-2009, 05:32 AM
All KTOK did was play KFOR's audio. It is not like they were out there in the field providing coverage. As it was, KFOR had a skeleton crew covering the storm.

This was a storm that took OKC by suprise on Christmas Eve of all days when most news stations are using the rookie reporters and the one or two veterans who stayed on duty for the bonus pay.

I personally think this is a reminder that we need to be prepared for anything and we need to keep tabs on the weather. Most Oklahoma storms take people by suprise yet, few people take the time to prepare for Oklahoma's weird weather.

In the winter, you should stay stocked up on the essentials and get all of your errands completed before any winter storm arrives. We did have sufficent warning on this mess. However, most of us blew it off because 9 times out of 10 it is just a simple snow fall and it has little effect on our routines.

You are blaming local media for your lack of information however, I think a person needs to be able to function without constant information. What would happen if a communication disruption occurred in Oklahoma City? It could easily happen because 90% of the broadcast media and the broadcast transmitters are in NE OKC between I-44 and the Kilpatrick off of Broadway.

This just goes to show you when you are dependent on other people to take care of your needs you will always be in trouble. When you are in a position to be self reliant you can almost always find a way out of almost any jam.

rcjunkie
12-25-2009, 07:24 AM
All KTOK did was play KFOR's audio. It is not like they were out there in the field providing coverage. As it was, KFOR had a skeleton crew covering the storm.

This was a storm that took OKC by suprise on Christmas Eve of all days when most news stations are using the rookie reporters and the one or two veterans who stayed on duty for the bonus pay.

I personally think this is a reminder that we need to be prepared for anything and we need to keep tabs on the weather. Most Oklahoma storms take people by suprise yet, few people take the time to prepare for Oklahoma's weird weather.

In the winter, you should stay stocked up on the essentials and get all of your errands completed before any winter storm arrives. We did have sufficent warning on this mess. However, most of us blew it off because 9 times out of 10 it is just a simple snow fall and it has little effect on our routines.

You are blaming local media for your lack of information however, I think a person needs to be able to function without constant information. What would happen if a communication disruption occurred in Oklahoma City? It could easily happen because 90% of the broadcast media and the broadcast transmitters are in NE OKC between I-44 and the Kilpatrick off of Broadway.

This just goes to show you when you are dependent on other people to take care of your needs you will always be in trouble. When you are in a position to be self reliant you can almost always find a way out of almost any jam.

I could have used this statement last night while arguing the Health Care Bill with my brother-in-law.

soonerguru
12-25-2009, 04:31 PM
[/COLOR]

I could have used this statement last night while arguing the Health Care Bill with my brother-in-law.

It must be nice being able to pay out of pocket for open heart surgery. Would that we could all be as rich and self-reliant as you.

And nothing like the good ol' "preexisting conditions" to give you the shot to pay your own way and be a self-reliant man.

:LolLolLol

FritterGirl
12-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I have heard several radio stations simulcast the TV coverage for severe tornado weather, especially when we have tornado warnings. Not sure why they didn't do the same for the snow, but yes, it would have been useful for many, I'm sure.

rcjunkie
12-25-2009, 06:36 PM
It must be nice being able to pay out of pocket for open heart surgery. Would that we could all be as rich and self-reliant as you.

And nothing like the good ol' "preexisting conditions" to give you the shot to pay your own way and be a self-reliant man.

:LolLolLol

Work hard, live within your means and pay for your own health insurance--the American Way.

:LolLolLol:LolLolLol

bluedogok
12-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Is there any "local radio" left in OKC?

LakeEffect
12-26-2009, 07:38 AM

The Spy. :smile:

Being stuck here in Wichita Falls, I've been reading local media. This editorial from the local newspaper (Times Record News), states that information was horribly hard to come by here. I wasn't listening to the radio once I knew I was in the mess, so I can't say she's 100% correct, but from the amount of people I heard were stranded, I'd believe it. People show their true colors Times Record News (http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2009/dec/26/people-show-their-true-colors/)

nik4411
12-26-2009, 08:04 AM

the sports animal

Kerry
12-26-2009, 08:06 AM
How did anyone in Oklahoma get caught by surprise by this storm? For crying out loud, I live in Florida and even I knew 24 hours before the storm hit that it was coming to OKC. And just what kind of live updates are you looking for sumrzz? Look out your damn window - if you see snow falling down then it is still snowing. Do you need someone on the radio to tell you that? Finally, it is called the internet - check in to it. They even have live radar now so you can see everything for yourself. Alas, I think you just want to bitch about dergulation because you lost your radio job 5 years ago.

bluedogok
12-26-2009, 10:25 AM
the sports animal
Last I heard it was still owned by Citadel.

jbrown84
12-26-2009, 03:28 PM
How did anyone in Oklahoma get caught by surprise by this storm? For crying out loud, I live in Florida and even I knew 24 hours before the storm hit that it was coming to OKC. And just what kind of live updates are you looking for sumrzz? Look out your damn window - if you see snow falling down then it is still snowing. Do you need someone on the radio to tell you that? Finally, it is called the internet - check in to it. They even have live radar now so you can see everything for yourself. Alas, I think you just want to bitch about dergulation because you lost your radio job 5 years ago.

Sounds like he was concerned about people stuck in their CARS wondering about TRAFFIC.

jeffery581
12-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Mike Morgan kept saying they were simulcasting. I guess they were not. They are generaly very good about other severe weather.

dismayed
12-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Since so many posting here don't actually live in Oklahoma, I thought it would be important to note that only one of the three major TV stations was predicting 11+ inches of snow. Up until about the 11th hour one of the three major networks was forecasting 1-3" of snow for the OKC metro area. So depending on what station you watch it was either going to be a big deal, or it wasn't.

NWS did not issue a blizzard warning until 9:30 a.m. Christmas Eve. The day before is when the Winter Storm Warning was issued, and as you may be aware although a storm warning is nothing to sneeze at usually we are fairly prepared for something like that.

EDIT: The snow started pouring down at my house around 10 a.m... so not much warning there. 30 minutes?

LakeEffect
12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Since so many posting here don't actually live in Oklahoma, I thought it would be important to note that only one of the three major TV stations was predicting 11+ inches of snow. Up until about the 11th hour one of the three major networks was forecasting 1-3" of snow for the OKC metro area. So depending on what station you watch it was either going to be a big deal, or it wasn't.

NWS did not issue a blizzard warning until 9:30 a.m. Christmas Eve. The day before is when the Winter Storm Warning was issued, and as you may be aware although a storm warning is nothing to sneeze at usually we are fairly prepared for something like that.

EDIT: The snow started pouring down at my house around 10 a.m... so not much warning there. 30 minutes?

Not sure where you were getting your forecast. Here's the KOCO prediction from around 11:30 am on Wednesday, December 23:

http://kocoweatherblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/1223091154a.jpg?w=320&h=240

According to Steve Lackmeyer's Twitter, KFOR (Mike Morgan) said 10 inches on December 22. Mike lowered the prediction to 5-7 on December 23rd, but raised again the next day as the models and conditions warranted. So, I'd call it as 2 of the 3 were prediction a major event. I don't watch or pay attention to News 9, so I'm not sure what their prediction was.

Kerry
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

...but somehow I was able to call my mother in Norman the day before and ask her if she was stocked on food. She was already stocked up and ready - 24 hours in advance.

dismayed
12-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Cafe, I didn't want to call out the network specifically, but since you basically did yes it was the one you didn't mention that was only predicting 1 to 3 inches. There's a whole other thread in Current Events that discussed the blow-by-blow of the events leading up to the blizzard.

The point was that it is plausible that some ordinary people (read: not the "I'm going to go surf in a hurricane!" types) were watching only that channel and listening to radio (which was equally across the board depending on which weather model their meteorologist believed) and may not have seen the forecasts change in the 11th hour....

Kerry, that's great. I wish everyone was so prepared. I know I was. I think people generally fall into three categories though, the unprepared, the always prepared, and those that prepare when they believe the risk is great enough that they need to do so. I fall more into the always prepared category, maybe your mom does as well, and I know last year when there were multiple models predicting anywhere from 1" to 13" of snow I stocked up... even though it turned out to be only 1". The unprepared we can't do much for, but for those in the "risk-reaction" category it's plausible that they were not prepared because they didn't have sufficient information, thought that [gasp!] maybe some meteorologists were blowing things out of proportion like last year, and thought we were really heading for something like 3" of snow. Don't you think? At least that's my take on it.

Personally I think that when the storm prediction computer models at NWS do not agree the local stations should emphasize that....

Kerry
12-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Dismayed - you are correct about the 3 types of people. Living here in Florida we deal with these 3 types every year. I admit I fall into the reactionary group but when danger approaches my family acts quickly. The closer a hurricane is to us the more frequent we watch the predictions knowing that things change at the last minute and we stock up early.

For the record - weather.com says it is going to snow in OKC for the next 3 days. If your (not Dismayed specifically) food inventory has been wiped out over the last few days I suggest you get to the store this morning and buy supplies. Everyone else had their food supply wiped out also so the longer you wait the less there will be to buy.

As for the original complaint about radio station not making regular updates - I still ask what are they expecting the stations to report. It is either snowing or it isn't. No one knows that information better than someone sitting in their car while it is snowing. During hurricanes here in Florida I am not under any illusion that during 120 mph winds the radio station is going to come on the air and tell me that. Besides, I already know that - I am sitting in it. Those kinds of updates are for people 500 miles away watching on tv.

plmccordj
12-28-2009, 07:33 AM
This thread beats all I have ever seen. Lighten up people. The 24 hour weather advisory on TV was over kill and we do not need this on the radio. You would have to be in a cave to not have known about the snow.

Honestly people, all you had to do was step out on your front porch to know what the weather was doing. Even with all the 24 hour weather on television there were some people that were still at the malls. Some people would be there if an F-5 were coming their way. To say that radio stations were being irresponsible is a stretch. If you believe that a station has an obligation to tell you the obvious then that explains these ridiculous warnings that we get on ladders. This is unbelievable that we would have an entire thread dedicated to the broadcast media's responsibility to tell you that you are going to be exposed to snow. This is Oklahoma and I know that even with 14 inches of snow, the roads will be clear in a couple days so there is no point in going out and buying stocks of food. The very next morning, I was out on the roads and there were many people driving around. On Christmas day I went to the Warren Theater in Moore and there were so many people there that almost every movie had lines. So when people talk about stocking up on supplies while living in the city during a snow storm, I try not to laugh.

I am so glad that I had channels 4, 5, and 9 to tell me what that white stuff was in my lawn. I was at a loss.

Wow!

BDP
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM

If you have health insurance, you are dependent on other people to take care of your needs. That's exactly what health insurance does. When you buy health insurance you are pooling your money, mitigating your risk, and leveraging your negotiating power by joining a large number of people whose health care is effectively dependent on each others. Health insurance would not work or even exist if it was required for everyone to pay their own health costs and be "self reliant". Those are completely opposite and mutually exclusive options. The availability, cost, and level of health insurance is completely dependent on the number of people who participate and, effectively, those who don't make claims pay for those who do. If the government regulates or provides its own health insurance option, that does not change. All it means is that more people will be insured and maybe, just maybe, health costs per insured individual will only go up 20% year-to-year, instead of the 30% increases with the current system.

rcjunkie
12-28-2009, 11:33 AM
If you have health insurance, you are dependent on other people to take care of your needs. That's exactly what health insurance does. When you buy health insurance you are pooling your money, mitigating your risk, and leveraging your negotiating power by joining a large number of people whose health care is effectively dependent on each others. Health insurance would not work or even exist if it was required for everyone to pay their own health costs and be "self reliant". Those are completely opposite and mutually exclusive options. The availability, cost, and level of health insurance is completely dependent on the number of people who participate and, effectively, those who don't make claims pay for those who do. If the government regulates or provides its own health insurance option, that does not change. All it means is that more people will be insured and maybe, just maybe, health costs per insured individual will only go up 20% year-to-year, instead of the 30% increases with the current system.

On the backs of others. It is not my responsibility to provide insurance for anyone other then my family

rcjunkie
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM

That's why most feel this is Not a Health Care Bill, but a Health Insurance Bill

ljbab728
12-28-2009, 10:42 PM
That's why most feel this is Not a Health Care Bill, but a Health Insurance Bill

I'm just wondering why health insurance is being discussed on a thread about radio stations and snow in an area devoted to development and civic issues.